Fink for Outlaw 2012

Comments

• Not been on for a bit but liking this thread.  I am just starting to think what I need to be doing so this is going to be great for me.  Sat getting spreadsheets ready for my plan...LOL.  Have emailed my mentor with many a question and one of which is zones as I am pretty clueless......numbers are really not my thing and struggle to understand it all. imageimage 

My training buddy got the Fink book for his birthday and as he can't read has said I can read it first, bless him but I shall be shopping tomorrow and purchasing one for myself.

Struggling to get back into training after The Vit to be honest, only swum once, loving the bike and not liking the running but getting a few sessions in again and hoping it all starts falling into place.  I am also doing the Brighton Marathon and it's my first one so want to do well and having to plan that one in too.....it's all a bit complicated this training plan malarkey.

• Good stuff TJ - I'm still dithering. I want to but my finger won't quite press the submit button.  I'm using to cost of aero bars/swimming lessons etc as an excuse but with the entry price going up soon I'm going to have to follow your lead pretty sharpish I think.

• Soupy, I love my aero bars. image
  • Saffers - You didn't when you first got them though!  Glad and reassured that you like them now. You've got the flappy spring up pads ones haven't you.  Do they rattle?  Reviews say they do.

I'm in Brighton as well and don't know what to do.  All the people who know what they are talking about say a marathon and IM is too much. But I like Brighton marathon. image

• When does Outlaw coat go up? And to how much?
  • M.ouse wrote (see)

ohh and also, entry goes up from £225 to £245 on 1 November.  It won't increase again.

From the championship thread.
  • No, I didn't like them Soups but I didn't like the clipless pedal malarkey either but love them too now. image  Great once you get use to it.  Not noticed any rattling with the bars but to start with I did tape them down till I had the confidence needed.

Plum is mentoring me and says all will be fine with training for both so we shall see. image

• Saffers wrote (see)

Plum is mentoring me and says all will be fine with training for both so we shall see. image

thats cos you is 'ard. image
  • Feck! I wasn't banking on paying this month.
  • Soup Dragon  wrote (see)
    Saffers wrote (see)

thats cos you is 'ard. image
    You spelt that wrong....tis stooopid. image  Rather concerned already just looking at the plans and the time needed.  At the moment I am only running up to 10m and the thought of running huge miles is rather daunting.
  • okay - thats cos you is stooopid. image

Nah, you'll be fine.

oh poo - totp. image

• haha, glad you didn't say who you were talking about. image
  • But Saffers  - the good thing about Fink is that you train by time not miles image. That's good for me anyway, cos find distance more of a mental chalenge than time.

• Just Finish Programme (Short Hours)

Week 1

Monday - rest

Tuesday - Swim #18, run 0:15 zone 2

Wednesday - Bike 0:15 zone 2, 

Thursday - Bike 0:15 zone 2

Friday - Swim #19, Run 0:15 zone 2

Saturday - Bike 0:30 zone 2

Sunday  - Run 0:30 zone 1-2

• Hubby has just ordered my the book from Amazon. image   Can't wait to start reading and learning.......training will come at some point image
  • Intermediate Programme (medium hours)

Week 1

Monday - rest

Tuesday - Swim #33, run 0:30 zone 2

Wednesday - Bike 0:30 zone 2, quick change to run 0:15 zone 2

Thursday - swim #34, bike 0:30 zone 1

Friday - Run 0:30 zone 2

Saturday - bike 1:00 zone 2

Sunday  - run 0:45 zone 1-2

Total: 6 hours

• Competitive Programme (Long one)

Week 1

Monday - rest

Tuesday - swim #1, run 0:30 hrs in zone 2

Wednesday - Bike 0:30 zone 2 quick change to run 0:15 zone 2

Thursday - swim #2, bike 0:30 zone 1

Friday - run 0:30 zone 2

Saturday  - bike 1:00 zone 2

Sunday - run 0:45 zone 1-2

Total: 6 hours

Swim sessions:

1. 300 wu, 8x50dr, 12 x 100 @ 20sec, 8x50dr, 200 cd
    2. 300 wu, 8x50dr, 3 x 125 @ 20sec, 2x175 @ 30sec, 3x 125 @ 20 sec, 8x50dr, 200 cd
  • TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭
    Soupy I had to commit otherwise funds would have gone elsewhere and I could see myself slacking off over the winter.

Been telling everyone that I am doing it so they can give me a gee up when needed.

Saffers, what aero bars have you got?
  • Yay go Saffers. Outlaw 2012 is about 261 days away image

• There you go as promised. Mmmm, interesting that the intermediate  and competitive programmes start the same.

How vital is it to train by heart rate? I don't own and monitor and haven't a clue what my heart rates are/should be or whatever the terminolgy is.

• TJ1004 I have Profile Design Airstryke 2000.  I prefer the shape.  I rode with a friend whose hands seem to slip along the straighter bar type so I opted for the Airstryke and once I got use to getting down on them with the flappy bits, I really like them.image
  • Hey LN, how you doing? imageimage   261 days ooooh plenty of time to get serious then. image
  • IIRC the base phase for Intermediate and Compettitive is the same.

I started with a Tesco HRM, but have a Garmon 305 now. It is well worth getting an HRM (or Garmin).

• Chilli if you have not got a monitor go by Rate of Perceived Exertion using a scale of 1 to 10. 1 = resting, 10 = flat out sprint max effort. Some scales are 1-20 or 1-5 but 1 is always dead easy and top rate is max effort possible.

I aim to start next week and will be shuffling around the days to fit in work, will see how much I can do realistically.

• Having come in late to the thread and I have read back like a good girl but can you just tell me Chilibean, the Week 1 plan you have posted above, is that to be starting next week?
  • 5 Dec start, but can repeat week 1 from now to then as groundwork should you wish?
  • Steady - that's good cos that's what I do already.

Yep, Saffers - what Darkness said. The date for 30 week plan is 5 Dec. Although there is some discussion about starting a couple of weeks early to cater for Christmas and an unforseen event that will probably crop up for all of us at some point.... but I'm not sure we've come to a decision about that yet....

• Ahhh right, okay thanks for that.
  • just like to reafirm the odd comment re fink and swimming

• there is wayyyyyy to much swiming in there for some
    • there is wayyyyyy to little bking in there for others.

(but I am a crap swimmer / reasonable biker)!

For comparison to Fink , shall I post my weekly sessions...??  
    NOTE - I am not a beginner, and am aiming a top 15-20% finish

My Lanza program week1 - re-establish bike/run commute with a big bike to see how / if I can handle it..

Monday  ride 1.5, run .5, gym .5
    Tuesday run  run.5, ride 1.5, stretch .5
    Wednesday  ride 1.5, run .5  swim .5
    Thursday  run .5, ride 1.5, core .5
    Friday  day off
    Saturday plan swim .5, run 1
    Sunday bike 5!!!