Staying Healthy

Comments

• Count on us Cath and use us when you need us - be strong.

Andy
  • Cath,
    Since this new website and forum began I have been very impressed at the huge amount of support out there. If anyone has a problem or lacks motivation then there are lots of fellow runners that will help to inspire and re-motivate them.

However, I have never, ever seen such support on any topic like this. It is truly wonderful.

Just remember you are never alone. I think I speak (write) for everybody when I say that you are in our thoughts constantly now! Especially when we are running.

Stay focused.
    xx

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Cath, gutted to hear your news. Cancer touches the lives of so many these days, and like many others, my first foray into competitive running was via Race for Life, which I ran in memory of my father whom I lost to cancer when I was 18.

Don't, whatever you do, lose your positive attitude, your strength and your sense of humour. You have caught this lump early, and there's every chance that it will be completely treatable. Keep fighting, stay strong and we're all thinking of you.

Debbie x
  • Cath, so sorry to hear your news - don't really know what to say other than just don't give up and keep fighting!!!

take care
  • Cath, what a shock. It's not fair, cancer never is yet it hovers around the corner for so many people. I too have been really touched by your down to earth guts and openess on the forum and so wish you hadn't got this news to deal with. But as you say, you will deal with it.
    It seems strange that most of us have never met yet we're all here to support you as you have supported others already. Please let us know how things go, the downs as well as the ups. It's great that you still want to do the race, not because it's at all important in the grand scheme of things but keeping faith that your body is still functioning normally in other respects can, I imagine, help your morale right now.
    Very best wishes to you.
  • Cath

Just logged on and I'm as sorry as everyone else to hear your news. Oh bugger.

Yes it is unfair but it seems that as well as having a touch of cancer you also have guts, determination, pragmatism and a deliciously wry sense of humour. More than enough of an arsenal to beat this thing. Be nice to yourself, you're obviously a strong person, allow yourself to be weak now and again (it's such a relief!). Good luck. I'm glad you've got loads of real life support, use us too when you need us.

Take care
  • Cath,
    Sounds like you've caught things early and that's really good news. I'll be thinking of you and rooting for you too. Look after yourself and keep positive.

ww
    x
  • Cath,

Can't believe this thread has passed me by for so long! Have just read all the previous 99 posts and am really sorry to hear about your ordeal. Hope everything goes well with it in the near future and all our thoughts are obviously with you.

Keep strong, keep posting and keep smiling :-)

DW
  • Cath, your positive attitude is an inspiration to us all. Keep positive and I'm sure you'll ride this one out.
    Best of luck,
    Jo.
  • Crikey!! - so many messages of support I can't respond to them all. If you don't mind I'll respond in themes :)

Okay here goes... so it's a new day and today was the first time I cried. I was half awake this morning (didn't sleep well again) and I was hoping it might have all been a horrible dream (a long one I admit). Anyway, I rolled over and could feel the lump pushing into my chest so my heart sank again. The Mr was awake and he asked how I was. I just burst into tears. So, no I didn't wake today with the same positive attitude again - BUT you'll be glad to know I must have found it knocking around the house because it's back :) Seriously, I had a few moments of "this is so unfair" and "why me" etc - which as a nurse you learn is part of the process, doesn't make it any easier.

Anyway, I thought I'd come along and look at the Cancer Information sites - information is power they say. So I've discovered loads about my surgery and the possible treatments. And then I came here and you guys single handedly between the lot of you haven't half improved my day.

So - speaking about being positive. I'm sure there will be ups and downs (as my Mum put it - to which I rolled my eyes). But the mainstay of my personality I think is certainly coping with stuff if not doing it in a bright way - I'm not a "brush-it off" type person, just very practical in that I think "well, it's here, we can't change it, we have to deal with it" way - so there's no danger of that waning I don't think. Anyway, if there is I can just come here to get my backside kicked right..? I mean, yep, it wasn't the news I hoped for but I'm buggered if it's going to ruin my life :) So when I reach a low ebb I promise I'll come here and you guys can kick me into shape. Aside from all that, you wouldn't believe how much crap goes with something like this - you CAN'T just lie back and relax and weep even if you wanted to!!! I've spoken to friends, family, work. Then there's the hospitals (two of them are going to be involved - my local one and Clatterbridge if anyone's from the Wirral) I've had to chat to and I'm seeing the Breast Care nurse today when I go in for pre-op tests. Also, I had to speak to the house insurance people to sort out the critical illness stuff for the mortgage (good bloody job we opted for that I can tell you - it was a close one where we nearly didn't!!)

Running: You'll all be glad to know I asked the surgeon about the dramatic weight loss I've had in the last 5 weeks (nearly a stone). He said some of it might be attributed to the disease process but it's likely it's due to my increased metabolism from running and weights. I asked him about further weight loss - he said it may or may not continue - that depends upon whether I continue exercising like a mad woman and eating virtually nothing but it was no excuse for not eating properly and not doing ANY exercise. He expects me to carry on as normal - as long as I feel well enough. He's all heart.

Treatments - I'm having surgery on Monday so I'll be absent next week. I've got a note somewhere - can someone give it to V-rap :) so I don't get a telling off - y'all know she's not going to let me get away with anything!! :) hee! Only joking V-rap (when youget back)!! But regarding other treatments - not sure what will happen. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. In the last 24 hours I've gone from being the type of person who likes to plan every eventuality to being someone who can quite happily fly by the seat of her pants!!

Anyway - I'm off to the gym today - that 5K time won't come down on it's own. I had 2 rest days this week and hopefully I should be okay. If I'm not I'll just do as much as I can.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Cath,

So sorry it wasn't better news. I was thinking about you all day yesterday, and have been desparately trying to get away from meetings to log on to check up on you. You must be stunned, but I'm sure your guts and determination will see you through this tough time.

We're all with you.
  • Cath, I'm so sorry to hear your news. But you are being very positive and strong, which is such a fantastic attitude to have.

Keep going, we are here to support you.

Parsley.

• Thanks for letting us know how you got on today. You must pat yourself on the back for that critical illness cover.

Hope you have a good time in the gym, could you do a mile for me, please! I've got some kind of gastric thing and I haven't run since Sunday and the Windsor half is looming.

Thanks Cath!
  • Cath what can I say, I'm so sorry.

My Brother was treated at Clatterbridge Hospital many years ago when the cancer unit first opened, he had Hodgkins Disease, and survived, so I know you will be in save hands. Stay positive, and I would do exactly the same as you and find out as much information as I could and then bombard the medics with questions.
  • Cath
    Sorry about the results.

Your attitude has to be an example to everyone who finds themselves in the same situation. If your attitude can help pull you through then you are halfway there.

Take care and good luck.I willlook forward to further renditions about everything when I get back on 27th September.

I am sure all forumites are praying for you.
  • cath,woke up at 3.15 this morning thinking of u.hope everything goes ok for u next week.u truly are an ispirational person.When things get tough in my life,i always think of people like u,with such strong and positive attitudes.i'm sure people on this forum look up to you and want to be like you.certainly on sunday when i run my marathon,when the going gets tough i will visualize u just ahead of me and i know i will feel instantly stronger.
    All the best for next week and u will be in my thoughts.
  • Sorry to hear your news. Your positive attitude is an inspiration to us all.
  • Cath .. I am so sorry, I have been following this thread from the start and the ups & downs and the stress you have already been through is huge, and still you sit there determined and positive. it's not a bad thing to cry now and then.
    I hope things go positively next week, and that you enjoy the race, if you decide to run.
    Take care, my thoughts will be with you.
    Daisy
  • With your fantastic attitude you will beat this Cath... you found out early enough, i have an aunt who's just gone through the same thing, beat it hands down, just like we are all sure you will !...keep strong.
  • Sending you big love and strength and underlining everything that Fire-P-O just said. My heart really is with you. Its not fair.
    All love XXXX
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    You'll beat this Cath, my thoughts and prayers of strength are sent your way.
  • I cannot believe I haven't seen this thread before.. I have just read it from begin to end and it has brought me to tears. I knew you had a lump Cath, cos you mentioned it on the Fat Club thread. Cath, I am so sorry to hear your news. All I can say is that you seem to have the most fantastic attitude and I am sure you will beat this cruel disease. My mum is a cancer survivor - 20 years cancer-free now! As someone else said on this thread, thank God you found it early and have done all the right things. So many people bury their hands in the sand don't they - instead of taking the bull by the horns and finding out exactly what is happening to their bodies. All I can do is wish you well Cath and let you know that I am thinking of you and have total admiration for you and your positive attitude. Keep fighting Cath.
    All my love and good wishes..
    Michelle x
  • 'hands in the sand'..? Oh you all know that I meant 'heads in the sand'!!!! Sorry!
  • Sorry haven't been able to post today or yesterday. Have been very busy but haven't been sleeping also so I'll post an unpdate tomorrow - I've loads to say but I'm too knackered tonight now to do it. Thanks again Guys.
  • Cath,

Sorry to hear your news but we are all so impressed at your spirit and attitude.

keep your sprirts up. You have the love and support of your friends, family and of course the runnersworld community.

Our thoughts are with you.

Luv Si and Ali
  • Cath, I've just come back on board again and am really sorry to hear about the outcome of your biopsy. Cancer always comes as a shock, and never more so that when it takes an apparently random strike at a young, health-conscious person like you (and a health professional - do you, like me, tend to go through life with the subconscious belief that health professionals are made of a unique sort of protoplasm that isn't susceptible to the same problems as that of mere mortals, or are nurses better grounded than that?).

Your attitude is marvellous, and your willingness to share the real ups and downs of facing uncertainty are deeply impressive. No amount of knowledge can compensate for that "I've got it, it's mine, it's not fair but I'm going to face it head-on" approach.

Your note is accepted and you will remain in my prayers.

Blessings, V-rap.

• V-rap no worries. I think if you ask anyone the chances of a 32 year old young fit female with no family history developing this, they would dismiss it as a low probability. Regarding the "health professional concept" - Oh yes nurses are probably just as bad!

Anyway I had intended writing a huge big post but I just can't be bothered. I've been on the phone all day long - I don't know how patients cope with being given a diagnosis like this, I haven't had time to let it sink in properly, which is just as well I suppose.

Anyway, the only thing I really wanted to say was I was absent yesterday because I had a bit of a weepy day. I went to see the Cancer Care Breast Nurse at the hospital and I was kind of shocked and completely drained afterwards. She was really great and helpful but she wasn't as skillful as the surgeon at "not quite" saying things. You know initially I posted this could be a lymphoma (which would be ideal because they're so treatable) well, they haven't mentioned it again since. It seems they are treating this a it is a Breast Primary (although... hello! No lump) anyway it has shown already it can spread ... remember, it's a lymph node that is enlarged. Anyway the nurse was saying that I'd have 6 months of chemotherapy - which as I understand it is aggressive treatment given for younger women with aggressive tumours. But we have to wait and see until Thursday ... when they have a piece of paper from the pathology man that says that's what it is (I know that was snarky - sorry). I know they can't say exactly until they have it in black and white but I wish they would have just said "we think it IS ACTUALLY this but we'll see".

Also, in 4 days I've lost 5 pounds... yep, I'm stressed and yep, I'm busy but I'm still eating well. So it's worrying - the sooner this is sorted, the better.

Anyway am off to the gym (only been twice this week - I'm a bad girl).

love
    Cath
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    You're not a bad girl, Cath, you're doing really well. It's good that you can muster sarcasm rather than wallowing in self-pity - not that I would blame you if you did. Hope the gym helps.

Love and hugs
    Susie
  • Cath, you continue to amaze me with your courage and attitude. You have my total admiration and I want you to know that you are in my thoughts. At the age of 26 I had a health scare with positive smear tests and had part of my cervix removed, then a further operation a year later to remove a bit more. Luckily, I needed no further treatment. Nothing can prepare you for the shock and the feeling that your young, seemingly healthy body has somehow let you down. You have the most amazing attitude Cath and I am so glad that you are surrounded by family and friends who can support you through this difficult time. Please know that others, who don't know you personally, are thinking of you too. I send you all my love and good wishes.
    Lots of Love
    Michelle x
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Posts in othe thread show I wasn't aware of this, but...... keep strong, believe and you will beat this thing.
    Thinking of you

Ian