Excited new runner

Comments

• Thanks a lot. Still buzzing now and looking for races to enter. Hope you can find one that suits. 

Yeah the weather is gonna be a test. Must admit that I have yet to run in really bad weather. I was really lucky this morning because once I was warmed up it was perfect, no wind at all.

Great to hear about your son. If he ends up turning pro you can pack up work and run when and where you want image

I had a curry for tea as a treat but resisted the Samosas and Bhajis!

• Stripes - well done I knew you would love it image and a great time and race report image

My race was good too although very hilly (sorry undulating image) arrived in Buckingham around 9ish as needed to register, not many people around at this point  image registration was in the Whale Pub so we sat in there for a while to use toilets and hubby could get a coffee and also keep warm as it was still chilly.  Race started more or less on time at 10am, discarded jacket to my race bag that hubby looks after (very handy having someone with you not racing image ) I had a long sleeve wicking top on which was great, didn't get to hot or cold.  I started fairly near the back (apprently there was only around 200 runners) off slowly out of the village, right turn up a slight incline to get you out of built up area then the very straight and hilly road that takes you all the way upto Stowe School.  It was a narrow path along here for prob half the way and leafy either side so difficult to do much and the hills just constant up and down, saw the 4K marker (hate this one as you know more than half still to go) then you did a loop round the school and lakes on a trail path, this was so beautiful round here I loved it.  Tarmac road then takes you back away from school, 2 more good hills here where I struggled.  You then meet back up with the original course the long long road back to the finish, more hills.  Once I saw 8K I felt alot happier and pushed on, when I got to 9K I knew it was all downhill back into Buckingham and defo upped my pace to the finish line (dare I say sprint image hehe) I looked at my Garmin for the first time and I had managed it in 1.03, 3mins better than my first 10K image

Hubby was telling me after that nearly everyone coming over the line was saying that was tough and very hilly.  So my not achieving a sub 60 didn't bother me, maybe next time ah image

Have I missed anything lol  oh goody bag, well not in a bag but handed out - bottle water and a cereal bar then collected medal and certificate.  Hubby was not impressed with freebies 'pah thats the worse one yet' haha

• Morning All!

Well done on the race Booey. Great time too. Think I would have struggled with those hills. Goodies sound a bit mean though.

Found another running Dad at footie this weekend and although we haven't planned to train together we have agreed to look out for some races and car share on the way. Unfortunately I can't find anything local until Nov. Are you doing the MK race as that could be the best bet for me. It is 10k isn't it?

I guess you and Srtipes will be Recovering for the next couple of days.

• Silver - if you look on my banner line where my name is you will see my bookmarks, click on there and you should see what races I am considering, they are all 10K's

You will enjoy the races don't be nervous, its much easier than joining a running club.  Also you don't need a running buddy as everyone's pace is different and you just meet people as you go along maybe chat depending on how you feel, its like a running club with loads more people.  There will always be the elite field at the front but then there are always walkers at the back so no pressure at all.

If it helps you could always do a couple of 5K's to get use to races, thats what I did.  To be honest I think over time I still will enter 5K's as its always good to see if you have improved with your time etc

I plan on a couple of days rest now maybe image I might have a steady treadmill run later.  I can do what I like when I like the next 4 days image hubby is in Weymouth Windsurfing its the annual Weymouth Speed Week, fingers crossed for him

Stripes - I had a bowl of potato wedges last night image might have something to do with a 1lb heavier this week on the scales haha silly me

Oh and am out for a curry tomorrow night with mother image

• Well done on the race Booey. Sounds like a tough course. Sure you would have smashed the hour on the one I did. Worry for me is that because it was so flat I will never go that quick again image

Silver, I won't be running today but I never run on consecutive days anyway. Like to give the old bones a day to recover. Hitting the big 40 next month image
  • Like your new pic Stripes image

If you follow a training schedule for your HM you will need to run on consecutive days (not after a race of course) I have just started following the Hal Higdon Novice 2 Half Marathon Training Schedule, its realistic and something I can do upto the Silverstone Half next March.  I can add extra weeks if needed and also allow for Xmas, although Xmas is no problem for me and to be honest I see myself running more over that week and looking forward to it image the joys of no children ah image

pah you are relatively young image I am 44 on 29th image

Silver - forgot to say, well done to your lad on the winning goal you must have been very proud image well deserved new boots image

• Can't imagine Peter running many Marathons :-.
    I have devised my own plan to build up to my first Half Marathon but its not for 18 weeks so am gonna be building up miles very slowly.
    Only discovered over the weekend that a friend I don't hear from too often is training for a half in the New Year. He has suggested that we do a particular race together, the problem is that it is only four weeks after my first half. Really wanna do it but not sure if its wise.
    Apologies if my posts are unintelligible today. Attempting to post using phone image
  • Well done on the race Booey. Sounds like a tough course. Sure you would have smashed the hour on the one I did. Worry for me is that because it was so flat I will never go that quick again image

Silver, I won't be running today but I never run on consecutive days anyway. Like to give the old bones a day to recover. Hitting the big 40 next month image
  • It must be something about using your phone to post that causes double posting image

My HM is also 18weeks away but you can just add weeks to the training schedule

4 weeks after your first Half should be ok? what race is it, another half?

I have just struggled to eat my tuna roll, I have done something to my jaw and have no idea what image it hurts when I open my mouth.  All I can think is when I got home from the race I was chilling out watching  the Grand Prix and fell asleep for about ten laps lol and was resting my head on the chair arm, a while after that my jaw started hurting image how strange

Silver your very quite today are you out architecting?? image

• Not sure I've shared this with you yet but I have a dream to compete in this race next year.

http://www.mb10k.com/index.aspx

I have promised my wife a weekend in Manhattan if she wants to come along. In her typical manner she said yes but not if she has to get up early to come to the race itself (honestly I don't ask much but what I do ask is such hard work).

Anyway if the Reading HM goes well I'll be booking my tickets. With or without the wife!
  • Sorry Boo - I have been quiet today but I’m a wee bit busy getting things ready for this weeks meetings in the big smoke.  I also had a student in this morning for an hour and had to extol the virtues of being an architect!  I try to be honest in these situations but I’m always conscious I may come across a little negative, so I miss out the bad bits such as difficult builders and clients and all the red tape that comes with the job and just talk about the beautiful buildings we create!

Having read your excellent race reports I’m feeling a tad left out and at the same time I’m itching for a run but I’m going to save myself for the club tomorrow night.  I’ll probably pay my subs and join up at the same time so there’s no turning back.

What did you think of the Manhattan thing – it has it all beach, sea, big buildings.  I lived in the US for 3 years in the early nineties and loved the place so going back to pound the streets would be quite satisfying for me.

• Wow am liking the look of that Manhattan race image how good would that be.  Am sure your wife will go along and support you in such a great place......of course if you struggled and had a spare ticket *cough cough* imageimage haha

Have a good evening image

• Booey, hope your jaw is okay now? Yeah, two HMs in four weeks, may be a bit ambitious since 10k is as far as I've gone.

Silver, that run looks amazing. Would love to go back to NYC, been there three times but I've developed a serious fear of flying over the last few years and don't imagine I'll be going back anytime soon.

• Haha! Like your style Boo image

It does look good though doesn't it. I was using it as my goal before I signed up for Reading. Not sure what the date will be but it seems to be run every October. The Americans take sport v seriously so I will need to be on good form. Still if it all goes wrong there's always the shopping!

This cold weather is putting me off going out already. Must keep motivated after my last disappointing run.

• Doh, just realised Manhattan Beach is the other side image
  • Given everyones revelations of their ages I was thinking we should probably rename this thread the 40+ crowd. Sorry Stripes I know you are not quite there yet. We'd probably attract a wider audience as it seems to me that the vast majority of runners I meet are around our age. Obviously a sport for the mature, discerning individual.

By the way I have to confess that I missed my sons goal as I went to the car to pick up his water bottle. He doesn't score many so I was gutted when I got back and all the other Dads told me about it. He was also miffed with me. To think I've stood watching his football practices and matches through rain snow and sleet waiting for a moment like this for over a year and when it comes I miss it. If only we had action replays.
  • Good idea Silver and I'll be able to rejoin next month!

I mentioned what I was doing last Sunday in a conversation with a customer last week and he said 'Oh I had the mid-life crisis and took up running for a while when I hit 40!'  Cheeky Sod image

Oh I bet you were gutted at missing the goal. I know its not the same but at various times over the years there have been occasions where myself or friends at the match have missed goals. One fella missed all three in a three-nil win once because he was buying tickets for another game and they were all scored in the first six minutes.

• That was cheeky although I was at the dentist this morning and she said her husband also started running at 39 so maybe it is a muddle age thing. In
    My mind 50+ is middle aged anyway so we've got ages to go yet!

What footie team do you follow Stripes. Is it a local team or one we'd all have heard of? My boy is a mad Liverpool fan as Steven Gerrard is his hero. Barcelona come a close second for him and his mates as they think Lionel Messi is God.

I spent an hour on the FA web site booking tickets for England Spain next month. It's the one great thing about having a football mad son I get to relive my youth again only this time with the money to do everything I want - within reason!
  • Ha Ha. Seems like everyone thinks we are losing our marbles!

Your son has the most tremendous taste I must say image

I've been a Season Ticket Holder at Anfield for 17 years, started supporting them as a little kid.

That is why everyone was so stunned that I avoided alcohol on Saturday at one of the biggest games of the season especially when they knew it was because of running the next day. Mind you I did get plenty of good luck messages. My ultimate aim would be to run next years Liverpool Marathon but having read the reviews last week it seems it is an incredibly tough course. I know the one hill that had to be traversed after 16 miles and I'm not sure I could run up it from scratch!

I noticed Booey mention that she has a Garmin, do you have one? I really would like one because I am hopeless at judging my pace and like a lot of newcomers think I probably do need to learn to slow down at times.

• Results are now online for my run yesterday. I was 121st of 272 in 51.00 which I am totally delighted with image

but they spelt my name wrong image

• That's a great coincidence Stripes. I loved Liverpool as a kid in the 70s and 80s (who didn't!) and I'm now getting the chance to relive it all with my boy. One of the Dads at football goes to every home game with his son and we went up to the Newcastle game with him last season. It's a long way for a 90min game but I promised him we could go again later this season.

I think the new signings have been great but I'm still waiting for them all to gel. It'll happen soon and then it's top 4 all the way.

I don't have a Garmin but I know they are good. I have been using the Runmeter app on my IPhone in an arm band. It's surprisingly comfy and really accurate. It also logs all your runs and let's you see graphs of your pace etc. I've logged around 200k on there over the last 4 months.

I noticed a lot of the guys at the club had Garmins so I think that's the way to go. I'd like to know what Booey thinks on this and which one she would recommend.

Sorry for the football talk too Boo. It's so easy to get carried away but I promise not to forget the reason we are on this website (and not the LFC one!)

• Ha Ha. Really weird, we could have been sat near to each other at some stage!

Think we will be in a battle for fourth with Spurs and maybe Arsenal to be honest as United, City and Chelsea all look very strong. Things are certainly improving though and are unrecognisable from this time last year with the ownership debacle over and Kenny in charge.

Hopefully the parliamentary debate on Hillsborough will make some difference with the official documents set to be released.

Yeah and Booey if and when you read this we promise to leave the football chat out from now on image

I have used the imapmyrun app which has been useful but having read some reviews of the Garmin forerunners I like the idea of it beeping at you to tell you to either speed up or slow down, maybe its cheating but I'll take all the help I can.

I've found another race which I may enter. The Shepshed 7. It is 7 miles, two laps of a park in Leicestershire, about 35 mins drive from me and in 3 weeks time. 

• Morning All!

Club run tonight so gearing up for 6/7 miles. I'll try to eat healthy all day so I don't have to carry too much extra baggage. Weather looks good although it's blustery but that shouldn't effect street running.

I have a couple of long meetings on site today that I'm sure will go on and on so I may not be able to post until later.

Have a good day all.
  • Just popping in to say I'm glad everyones enjoying the running...............it is good to have a few goals for spring to help you get through the winter training..............I forced myself out in the rain, wind and dark last night because I knew that someone on the threads would expect me to do the run...........once I was out I enjoyed most of it..................but hard to get yourself through tyhe doors sometimes......

keep going image

• Morning all *waves*

Hi Seren, welcome to our over 40 thread image hehe

My jaw feels loads better today, must have been how I fell asleep image

Not a huge football fan but am patriotic so will always cheer England on.  I lost all respect a few years ago when their wages just got so silly and they started sleeping with whoever they felt like image 

I can watch most sports but my favourites are - any Motor Racing especially F1, Rugby (England), Tennis (huge Rafa fan), Athletics running of course, cycling always glued to the tour de france big Cav and Wiggo fan image

I have a Garmin 305 its fantastic and does so much that I don't use image they are very expensive but I got mine off ebay for £70 which is a bargain.  It has a heart rate monitor which I still have not used image I use it everytime I run to record distance, time, pace etc then I record every single run since I started on a website called fetcheveryone.com, its so good have a look.

The cold weather doesn't put me off running at all, I think I may enjoy it more than when it was very hot to be honest.  I have bookmarked so many races I don't know if I have the time haha

Stripes - I think a month between 2 HM's will be no problem at all, even full mara's would prob be enough time.

Is it just me that I have no desire at the moment to even consider doing at full marathon image  even thinking 12 months ahead I just get no feeling of 'yes I need to do that'  alot of people on here have said I prob wont and don't consider one until you have been seriously running 2 years image

• Hi seren. Well done on going out in the nasty weather. Yeah. I expect to find the winter months testing at times. Got my first half as a goal and hoping that the race bug will spur me on. I've not hit that point where I don't wanna set off yet. Had lots of moments when I am struggling and think it would be easy to stop but I almost always manage to fight them off.
    Booey that is a real bargain. The more basic 205 is £80 on Amazon.
    I would love to think that I could run a marathon one day but am not giving it serious consideration as yet. Still at the stage where a half seems like a huge distance.
    I am gonna go for the two races in four weeks. They are after all in the two best cities in the country image
  • Like you Boo I have no desire to do a marathon. It just seems like too much hard work esp considering the amount of training. The HM is going to test me to the limit so if I can do that I'll be happy.

Whenever we talk about running further or faster I have to remember where and why I started which was to get fit and tonprove to myself that I could actually run 5k without stopping. (I couldn't run to the shop St the end of the road before)

I guess it's human nature to want to continue to improve but if I can get to the point that I can comfortably fo a 10k on a regulate basis I'll be a happy bunny! Not quite there yet though!
  • This flipping phone has a mind of it's own. Apologies for the spellings.
  • By the way. Can anyone advise on what to eat before going out? I usually run on empty and eat afterwards but I don't think this is doing me any favours as I quickly run out of energy.

Is pasta the way to go and if so how long before.

All advice gratefully received.
  • Silver - I would give it 2 hours to eat before you go out.  If I am club running in the evening I usually eat a banana a couple of hours before I just cant face having a dinner before I go out.  Problem is, if I am getting home at 8.30 I don't eat then either image I know thats not right either image as I found out the week before last when I was totally shattered and I really think that was down to no fuel in my body image

If I am racing which will always usually be in the morning, I have pasta the night before then a bowl of porridge for breakfast, this seems to work ok image

Only you know your own body, if you don't want to have dins before you go out have a banana and a couple of cereal bars to fuel you then eat pasta, jacket potato etc when you get home.  If you prefer to eat before just make sure you don't over indulge so it sits heavy.

I know its classed as breakfast but why not have a bowl of porridge a while before you go out in the evening, its one of the best for energy.  I use the ones all ready with the syrup in, add milk and put in the microwave....hey presto 2mins all ready.....keep an eye on it so it doesn't go lumpy image

Put some jelly babies or anything from Haribo in your running bag, take a couple in your pocket on runs and if you flag they are great for a quick sugar fix to give you some energy image

It tickled me when I heard they actually have jelly baby stations at some long races image