VLM 2012 first timers???

Hey ladies and gents

I have gained a charity place in the VLM 2012 , I have never run a marathon in fact I have never run a half marathon ????

So really after some training tips and advice .

Are there any other first timers out there ????image

Comments

• I'm a first time marathoner too!  Done a couple of halves; the GNR in 2010 and one earlier this year though.  And I have the Norwich half coming up at the end of November, if it doesn't snow again and they have to move it like the last two years! image

Can't offer any advice I'm afraid as I have no idea what I'm doing, but maybe we can support each other?

I'm still trying to find a training plan that doesn't keep telling me to run at X or Y race pace on different runs though; I only have one pace whatever distance I'm doing!  Have you got a plan yet Rachel?

• Hi

well my mum thought she was being helpful and got me a book called ''The marathon trainer for the non-runner'', thanks mum what you trying to say ? It has a 16 week training programme in it , 4 runs a week max running distance 18miles in the latter stages of training . I dont know if thats a good programme as thats all I have seen but it seems comprehensive enough , its just getting out. Need a running partner really as my husband is not into running and doesnt fancy joining me !!!!

• I'm a first timer too! Maximum I've ever run is 8 miles lol. It's going to be fun. I'm just returning to running after a break (had an operation, was about 6 months off in total) so between now and New Year I am just working on my fitness and run/walking. If all goes well, I'll start a training programme in New Year.

Where do you live Rachel? I could do with a copy of that book lol!

• Think most of the plans usually go up to 20 miles long runs Rachel, although to be honest I'm not really comfortable only taking it that far as an extra six miles on top of the longest you've trained seems a hell of a long way!  image  I generally have to train on my own too, but you get used to it after a while.  I found the hardest thing is being out on your own with only your own thoughts to keep you company, sometimes the demons can be hard to overcome, but I got there eventually image

Sounds a good plan Len, you don't want to do too much too soon and be off again!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I'm a first timer for VLM and a marathon. Run several half's before but nothing longer.... am looking forward to getting into my training! I'm going to use Shades training schedule that's available on here - seems the best fit for me!
  • Just completed my first marathon - best bit of kit I bought was the Adidas MiCoach pacer bundle, the micoach website plans a training plan and the pacer coaches you through all the training runs. Well worth the investment!
  • I am a first timer for the London marathon, got a place running for Muscular Dystrophy and really looking forward to it. I have not run a marathon for about 20yrs but have been doing a few halves this year.

Started my training schedule already with a steady build up in mileage over the months, the longest run being 23 miles, the schedule is from the Marathon Training site and looks a good plan, we will see on 22nd April next year!

Wouldnt be without my i pod nano and nike+ which keeps an accurate record of all my runs while playing my favorite tunes. Good luck to you all. 

• Just found out today I've got my charity place so I'm a first timer too. I'm still in shock and bit terrified but will be on here looking for support and advice!!
  • I'm running the VLM (check me out jumping on the abbreviation train) for the first time in 2012.  In fact, I will be running for the first time ever.  I can currently run for about 30 seconds before I have some sort of respitory failure.  Currently, I have no idea how I'm going to get to the point of finishing 26.2 miles.  Actually, I have no idea if I'm ever gonna get to the level of 'beginner'!

Here's to 6 months of attempting to train so that I don't die on the day!

PS if anyone is in a similar non runner position in the east sussex part of the world and wants to spur each other on...I could use all the help I can get! image  

• hi Niks image Welcome to the forum - I'm sure you will get lots of help and support here! Are you following a training plan? I'm currently only doing run 1 minute, walk 2 mins (coming back after injuries and an operation) so I'm at about your level, plus I have lots of weight to lose, and a dodgy knee! Sadly i don't live near you, but I'm around on here image

Have you read Dawn Dais's marathon training book? It's really funny and motivational for beginners - she had never run either!

Good luck!! x

• Hi everyone, I have just got a place! This is my first ever marathon, furthest I have ran up to now is 7 miles, eek! Terrified but really looking forward to the challenge. But we have 6 months to train, if I just increase it by a mile a week then I will be good to go in April!

I am going to go to my local 5K Parkrun some Saturdays to hopefully see increases in my time/ability over the months, and I hope to be up to 10-12miles by Christmas.

If anyone is based in Edinburgh/West Lothian I would love a training buddy as just doing it on my own.

Good luck everyone, will be great to share tips and ideas over the next 6 months.
  • Hi All

I am looking for a running partner/group in Woking area to train for 2012 London Marathon as I will eb training on my tod otherwise. I  am looking to run 4-4.30hr time and already run albeit irregularly.

I have run thee half marathons in the past. The last being July 2010, but never further than this.

If I don't hear back - Good luck everyone!

Karl

• Hey peeps , we should definatley stick together being first timers , very scared . Starting to get sponsorship so no going back now ?

Len I live in leeds, if thats any good . If anyone is in leeds and looking for a running partner let me know , posted on my facebook account for a running buddy and surprisingly enough no takers to join me as yet !!!!!Cant think why , who wouldnt wanna run in the freezing rain in west yorskhire !!!!image

• There certain are a few of us first timers then!   Am working towards getting through the Norwich half at the end of November and then will start to bump up the mileage from then towards the marathon image

Anyone thinking of doing it in fancy dress?  I thought it would be fun to dress up a bit and be part of the party atmosphere image

Rachel Watkins 2 wrote (see)

If anyone is in leeds and looking for a running partner let me know , posted on my facebook account for a running buddy and surprisingly enough no takers to join me as yet !!!!!Cant think why , who wouldnt wanna run in the freezing rain in west yorskhire !!!!image

Brrr Rachel!   One thing I like about living in Norfolk is that it's the driest place in the country! image

• Fancy dress!??! Are you insane?! imageimagelol I think I'm going to have enough to contend with just getting round! What did youhave in mind? I'm lucky to have a ballot place so i am not even sure whether I am going to fundraise yet. I'd like to - but I  might leave it till a LOT nearer the time.

Rachel - Leeds is a bit far, but on our longest training runs we could probably meet in the middle quite easily (eeeeeek - how scary is that?!).

I got the non-runners marathon training book at the weekend and it's really useful, a good read. 

I'm not lookiing forward to the drop in temperature at the end of this week much - I don't mind rain, dark, wind....but the local hills on ice aren't fun! Aarghh!!

x

• Well, not insane Len, but I seem to have developed the ability to take a challenge and make it harder for myself!  I just think there are plenty of marathons out there where you can try and get a fast time, but I'll only be doing London once (I don't think it's fair to others to keep doing it when there are so many people who really want to do it but don't get in) so why not make it an amazing fun day as well as it being a challenge to get round image  Not really sure what I'm going to wear yet, wasn't thinking along the lines of something over the top like Mr Blobby, but want to do it in more than a token tutu.  Have been having a look on some of the dance sites as their costumes should provide flexibility for running in but not decided on anything yet. 

You're braver than me though, I only run in the dark with my club and there is no way you'd get me out there if it's icy, it would be just asking for trouble image

• Len - yeah the book is good sooo American though some bits make me laugh , and they anecdotes are funny !

Where do you live ?

Has anybody sorted accomodation for the marathon weekend , trying to sort it but its impossible to find anywhere , so places said they have been booked up over a year !!!!

• Must admit I was panicking about staying somewhere, but am now going to go up on the day on a coach that's being laid on by a friends running club.  Have you tried further out of London and then get a tube in on the day? 

• Sounds like I might have been lucky then, I booked a hotel room about a week ago. It's a Best Western, have you tried them?

And I'm North Sheffield - do you know Sheffield at all? Not far from J35 of the M1. Totally agree with you about the American-ness of that book but hey, I will take hope from wherever it comes image.

• TST - how about this one? image

http://www.turkishemporium.co.uk/full-belly-dance-costume-p-401.html

Although, I fear it may chafe!

But you'd be quite easy to spot!

• I will be a first time marathon runner to in London.  Quite excited but scary nervous.

I live in Leeds too so if you still want a training buddy Rachel?  I should warn you I am not overly fast though! 

• Ooo, I love that Len!  Although probably not very practical as I suspect that the dangly coin bits would bash on your legs and be a bit noisy, and I suspect there would not enough support for my boobs!  image   I can't find the wild west saloon girl one I was looking at the other day, but I'll post a picture when I find it again image

Hello Clairebear, welcome to the gang!

• Hi to all the first timers.  So you’re looking for advice?

Let me suggest that because most of you have never run near the distance before you have absolutely no idea how long it is going to take you, for most runners it’s harder than they imagine.

Once you start training you’ll find out if the estimated finish time you put on your application form is achievable.

Closer to the day you’ll be given additional info showing which pen you’ll start from on race day.  If you were wildly under estimating how long it would take then start from a pen further back.  You can do that, what you can’t do is move forward.

This will then prevent you from being a hindrance to faster runners and also stop you from being ‘swept’ along and starting the race too fast.

Bearing in mind that I ran London this year in a fairly good time and passed people in the first few miles who were walking.  These are the kind of people who moan when you have to push past, please don’t put yourself in that situation, it doesn’t do anyone any good.

• Now for some other advice, in no particular order;

1.         The single most important piece of kit you can buy is running shoes.

a.         Research the different types of shoes available ie. Cushioning, Motion control and Stability shoes; this website has a wealth of information.

b.         Find a shop locally who can give you an assessment of your gait and give you a recommendation of which type of shoe best suits you.

c..        Buy a decent pair of running shoes.

2.         Suffer from blisters on long runs?  Apply lots of Vaseline to your toes and inside your socks before setting off, squishy but works a treat, 26.2 miles and no blisters!

3.         Do not rip the skin off blisters, instead take a sterilised needle pierce the blister from one side to the other (taking care not to go into flesh), and sew a 1 inch piece of thread into the blister   and leave it there.  Keep your shoes and socks off as much as possible, the skin will harden and form a protective barrier over the area.  23 years as a soldier I KNOW this is the best method.

4.         Train to eat and drink on the run.  I like to eat jelly babies, they’re cheaper than buying loads of gels.

5.         Porridge, honey and mashed banana, the best breakfast you can get!

6.         Stay safe!  Let someone know where you will run, how long and what to do if you’re not back.

• 7.         Don’t feel safe running in your area?  Carry a whistle to attract attention and help; a torch flashed in the face of an attacker gives you vital seconds.  Stay safe!

8.         Stay safe!  When running in the dark take care with cars, a small torch shone onto yourself will reflect from all those sparkly bits on jackets, running tights and shoes and you’ll be seen for miles (the alternative is to wait until car lights fall on you, which can be a bit late).

9.         Watch out for fruit juices, anything that says it’s a juice drink will have added sugar or sweeteners, these are best stayed away from.

10.       Buy a heart rate monitor and train to heart rates, more on that on this site.

11.       If you’re hoping to ‘just get round’ don’t worry too much about mileage, obviously you need to get close to some of the distances in your schedule but time on your feet running is probably more important.

12        Acclimatise!  If the weather is warm/hot in the weeks leading up to the marathon make sure that your long run is done in the heat of the day.  On race day you could be out there until 3 in the afternoon, or longer, get yourself used to the conditions.

13.       If this is your first running experience then get a medical check up before you start, especially if you’re older or carry a little excess in weight.

14.       Above all??  Enjoy your running!!

• Thanks also ran for the tips !!

Clairebear77 wrote (see)

I will be a first time marathon runner to in London.  Quite excited but scary nervous.

I live in Leeds too so if you still want a training buddy Rachel?  I should warn you I am not overly fast though! 

Clairebear where abouts in Leeds do you live?

Len I tried best western they were all gone apart from one that was really out the way at 146 a night we need two rooms and are travelling down on the train from Leeds so didnt wanna pay as much as that . Yeah I know sheffield , I went to uni there for 3 years !!!!

• Great tips, also ran! I'm not a jelly baby fan, but I reckon this is a great excuse to stock up on Jelly Beans! Mmmm.... and it will give my brain something to do, working out the flavours lol.

LOL Rachel - so did I (go to Sheffield Uni) although it was a LONG time ago now, and I ended up staying here!

B*gger about the hotel room though - I guess you just need to keep trying? There must be some cancellations when people realise they can't make it...or something? Or advertise on Facebook or similar for friends with spare beds! 

Welcome Claire image

TST, I really need to see the Wild West costume!! image

• also ran wrote (see)

3.         Do not rip the skin off blisters, instead take a sterilised needle pierce the blister from one side to the other (taking care not to go into flesh), and sew a 1 inch piece of thread into the blister   and leave it there.  Keep your shoes and socks off as much as possible, the skin will harden and form a protective barrier over the area.  23 years as a soldier I KNOW this is the best method.

Why would you sew cotton into a blister?!  image

Len 2 wrote (see)

TST, I really need to see the Wild West costume!! image

I will have another look later Len and see if I can remember what site it's on.  Knew I should have book marked it when I found it!! image

• The flesh under a blister tends to be very tender.The idea of the thread is to draw out the fluid that would normally build up and allow it to dry out as quickly as possible.  Once the skin toughens up you can remove the thread and still bang out 3 hour runs with out too much pain.