VLM 2012 Outsiders Thread

Hi all,

I thought I'd start a thread for those who don't feel they don't quite belong on any of the other VLM threads. First a bit about me: 

I'm not a beginner, I'm not a VLM virgin and I'm not a sub 3, 4, or 5 hour runner.

My first VLM (FLM) was in 2007 when blisters and heat meant I crawled in in 6.02  when I was hoping for about 5.20. This time I'll be 5 years older and creakier. I know I wont be able to rack up hundreds of miles in training because my body won't let me. I know I'll get bored and cranky but I do know I'll have a whale of a time come Aprill 22nd and I hope to finish about 45 minutes faster than last time.

So, if there's anyone else out there who doesn't quite fit anywhere else this is the place to come. Pull up a chair, have a virtual Hob Nob, tell us your story and let's share the experience.  

Screamy x

Comments

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    screamy I am not even doing it but will watch you and here's to a good one for you!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

ps I have done 9 london, times vary from 6.20 down to 4.18, have never managed sub four but am cheerleader to sub four cos I dont actually think I ever will do it!

Good luck with your training

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Hello. I'll join you, if I may. I've done a couple of marathons before in unspectacular times - 4.50 and 4.38 - but never London, or any really big one. I'm not in a running club and have no friends. Well - I mean I won't know anyone in London. I have a ballot place in my fifth year of entering. I will have to turn down the virtual hobnob because I could do with losing a few lbs. And running more. And being a bit faster. And younger.

• Hi Que Sera - welcome aboard image

I'd be well chuffed with 4.38 so well done!

Have you started your training yet?

• Sort of. I have been pretty lazy in the last year or so, but since I got my magazine I'm trying to get out about 4 times a week, aiming for half marathon fitness by late November/ early Dec, and then will start doing longer runs after that. Work is very demanding at the moment, and my family don't get to see much of me anyway, but things should ease up after Christmas (and obviously they'd improve if I wasn't indulging in displacement activity like looking at RW forums now instead of getting on with my to do list). You running much now?
  • mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Hi Screamy - I did London 2 years ago in 5:31 and am doing Edinburgh next year. Can I join in please? Only just back into running after a 6-month layoff due to work. Aiming for a 10K in Dec. Training plan starts this week - doing RW 3x a week plan.

mitiog
  • Hi mitiog and welcome image

Sounds like we have all been busy! it's one of the reasons I've never joined a running club, I'd never be able to commit to dates and times.

I had a lazy year last year (intentionally) then got back to running regularly in January, I was training for the BUPA 10,000. Then I got injured, then I was ill a couple of times so I'm trying to get back into it now.

The most depressing thing is having slowed from 11mm to 11.5mm - still I was a 13 minute miler when I started so I don't have much to complain about. For marathon purposes I'm working around 12mm - too hard do the maths for 11.5 imageimage

My next LSR will be 5 miles - not much - but onwards and upwards! image

I am doing the Cambridge Half on March 11t h and Reading at the beginning of April -nothing before then as yet - although I'll keep an eye out.

• Oh, I see a thread being welcoming to anyone - yet excluding those of us NOT doing VLM. huh?! *flounce*

imageimage

Good luck all. I have vague hankerings to do London, but I'll wait until I've completed my first (Brighton) before giving in to that urge.

• VLM 2012 will be my first marathon ever. I'm terrified! image 

• Helen Liz - you are welcome to join - we might put you off the whole idea though image

Hi there TriPlod - first time can be scary - I was in tears the day before the last one saying I didn't think I could do it and was stupid to even try. But I DID do it and even  though the race plan went completely Pete Tong I still had a fantastic time - I promise you will too image

• OOOOO!!! Good luck Screamy!! I've settled in on the Virgins thread (ha ha ha ha ha) but I'll be reading here too to see how you get on!

Flask of tea and a biscuit at mile 18? I'll meet you there image

x
  • Well who could could possibly resist that Len 2?

Milk, no sugar imageimage

• And if anybody needs any further inspiration...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15330421

What a guy!

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

And if anybody needs any further inspiration...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15330421

What a guy!

"He puts his stamina down to ginger curry, tea and "being happy"." I love this guy already.
  • Scream - I should clarify that I changed my username and used to be YorksLass lol! Still got a bit of PF that I'm managing on a daily basis, but refusing to let it beat me!!
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Not a first timer to mara's, this'll be my 7th. Been running for about 3 years now, mid forties. First mara was 4:40, then 3:45, 4:20, 4:25, 5:45 (It was the Picnic!). Doing Snowdonia in a couple of weeks and was planning on 3:40 but the wheels came off in training at the end of August leading to 3 weeks of nada. Be happy to get round now. Member of an online running club, and a local club.

Have always kept away from big events, prefer the one's where the numbers are low 100's or just into the 1000's. Love mud & hills (Sodbury Slog, Avebury8, Tadley XC, Rough'n'Tumble, Meon Valley Plod, Grizzly etc all of which I'll do between here and VLM plus White Horse Half and the Wolf Run in early April next year). Most of my runs are off road, don't like tarmac.

Been told by so many people that the atmosphere at VLM is something else and that's why I entered the ballot. Made quite a few jealous by getting in first time! Did PB's at every distance this year, except mara.

So why am I here? Well, not going to go for a time, that's what did me in a few weeks back. Spent the summer pushing myself, and found out how far I could push myself. Unfortunately a bit too late..... So just going for the experience and the atmosphere. Means I don't belong in any Under X time threads, nor virgin threads so thanks Scream for starting this one.

The races I've mentioned above as far as distance goes are 8.5m, 8.4m, 5.3m, 10.4m, 21m, 21m, 13.1m, 6.2m so pretty much show my training plan from here to VLM. I'll start my official plan after Christmas - The plan being just to enjoy my running and not take a blind bit of notice what my pace is. It sounds like I'm totally organised. I'm not. You should see the desk I'm sitting at, just enough room between the piles of un-ordered paperwork for the keyboard  image

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Len 2 wrote (see)
    Scream - I should clarify that I changed my username and used to be YorksLass lol! Still got a bit of PF that I'm managing on a daily basis, but refusing to let it beat me!!

Hey good to see you again  - perhaps we can get together at the expo or something? image

Hi Chimney, lucky you for getting in first time! I have to say it's really good to hear from someone who just wants to enjoy the experience - and you certainly will.

I'm also in my mid 40s. I only started running at 38 so let's say I'm well aware of my limitations imageimage

I'm assuming everyone has got a ballot place? Will you take the opportunity to raise money for charity too? I will, in a low key sort of way, but can't decide who to run for. Torn between "Mind" and Guide Dogs" at the moment - still, there's plenty of time. 

• I got a ballot place too. I decided to raise money for the RNLI because I like the little inflatable lifeboat things their runners used to wear. image
  • As good a reason as any TriPlod image
  • Hi everyone. I'm another one in her mid 40s, been running about 5 years. Like Chimney I'm not really drawn to big crowds but just wanted to do this one once to see what's like. I don't know whether I will enjoy it or not. Obviously I hope I will, but I can also imagine finding the crowds both frustrating (people blocking your way) and annoying (people shouting at you to come on when you're feeling knackered). We shall see.

I'm  a ballott place but a couple of people have already offered to give some money for something so in a quiet way I will accept anything that comes in without actively chugging. There is a small local charity that ships returned unused prescription medicines that would normally go into landfill to health centres in rural parts of central and southern Africa.They operate with minimal overheads but do something  very worthwhile so I'm happy to give them a few quid if I raise it. Enjoy running in the wind today everyone!

• I don't know whether to raise money or not. I've done a lot of fundraising in the past coupe of years (including a skydive which got cancelled this year so I'm not even doing it til June).... but it does seem like a wasted opportunity when people seem so willing to give when you're doing the London Marathon. I always raise for the local cancer hospital (cos I work there!). I'll think about it. Maybe wait til February/March and see where I'm at and how I feel.

I ran at 5.45 this morning, it was cold, dark and windy!! I guess that's it - it's winter!! 

• Brrr! image

I love running in the cold though - very invigorating! I'll be plodding 3 miles or so tomorrow morning - I'll wait till it gets light first though image

That sounds like a good cause Que Sera.

If you decide you'd rather not have people shouting at you, don't wear your name on your vest - job done. I had "Screamy" on mine last time which people seemed to find rather amusing so I'll probably do that again. I imagine it must be pretty unwelcome being yelled at when you're going through a real bad patch though.

I never actually experienced that because a lady I'd been talking to on RW caught up with  me and was struggling too, so we ran/walked/limped the second half of the race together - we were too busy chatting and enjoying ourselves to think about how far we had left to go. Also I think once I "let go" and forgot the time I was aiming for I just relaxed and got on with it.

Enjoying it is more important that anything else - there are plenty of other marathons  where you can focus on your PB if it doesn't pan out on the day.

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    I loved London - the atmosphere was incredible. I think Edinburgh will be different though but since I do most of my running in Rural Wales I'm used to tranquility when I run so the race was a bit different. The crowds definitely helped though image

Did some hills last night. Seemed ok. Managed more reps than I thought I'd do. I'm overweight but hill reps seem to be less hard on the legs than normal intervals. Not sure why - maybe because you run them much slower?

Will try and get a few miles in after work. Well done on the early run Len 2. I'm hopeless at running in the morning. Legs aren't awake til about 10am!
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

My alarm goes off at 5am each day. If I don't get out before work, I don't run because by the time I get home I just want to eat and curl up......

I'll hopefully raise a few quid for the Dogs Trust. Our last few dogs have come from there.

Need to try and keep off the rugby field this year, noty sure the body can take the hits much more and still be able to run!

• Chimney wrote (see)

If I don't get out before work, I don't run because by the time I get home I just want to eat and curl up......

Oh I soooo know that feeling! imageimage

I'd probably do the same if I could, but I get up at 5.35 just to get to work while the tubes are still relatively civilised.

• Yep - that's why I run early too! After work I pick the kid up, then I'd have to wait till my hubby got home before I could run, and by then it's 7pm and that's just NOT going to happen!! Yaaawn! Evenings are for comfy clothes and tv!

Although if I had to get up even earlier than you, Scream, I'd probably cry! 5.30 is about my limit!

• Ooh, that was a fresh and invigorating 3 miler this morning image
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Round my way it was a lot fresher this morning than yesterday.

As much of a shock as it was in spring suddenly going from very cold to nearly 30 degrees over night. I'd been used to training in very low or minus temperatus over the winter. Did the White Horse Half at the start of April at the time when it warmed up over night and suffered greatly, just wasn't used to the heat. Started well but just wilted. Came home with a race PB but had been faster in training (for a mara) so had expected better.

Hoping London being at the end of April means I'd have seen some heat before it.....image

• Yuk. Stinking cold and associated horrors means I've missed 2 or 3 runs now. Hoping to get out tonight if I don't feel too rubbish.

Mitiog - rural Wales! You lucky thing. Where do you live?