Fink for Outlaw 2012

Comments

• I'm still waiting to recover from Henley which appears to be occurring quite slowly! Was hoping to start base training at the beginning of November but it might end up being mid to late November after tired legs from a 5M run yesterday! (or I need to find some nice slower people to go proper easy running with...)
  • Thanks guys,....  physio says the problem is a nerve in my back which is travelling down my leg. So I've got to arrange some physio sessions....image......the good news is I can train as long as it's not painful and if I run it's got to be on soft ground to cushion the impact on my leg. Should be fine on the bike and swimming...image

So I will get the bike out tomorrow and see how it goes...image

Tried to set my HR monitor by age but everything I did sent my HR above my so called max so next time I do parkrun I will do what AH and ST  says and max out the last K to see if that works out better.

AH.......I've been reading Friel but I find it all a bit confusing or am I just thick?....image

• Razor - The less-than-helpful thing about Friel is the lack of actual programme... which is why I based my rough volumes around Fink Intermediate for IM number 1.  However, I think Friel/Gordo Byrne speak good sense as regards taking it slowly etc.  I keep going back to Friel and finding new nuances. For eg from now till Xmas I'm trying to do more weight training - so I've had a look at that section in Friel for the first time.

Without going to get the book out, the key things I like about Friel are:

• for your first IM - and prob your first three or four - you can do a really good IM off endurance training without any quality efforts/zone 3 or 4.
    • if you really are tired, take some time off, no sense in getting injured.You've got a long way to go ... which leads to the next one:
    • consistency is key.
    • don't do a long run the day after a long bike
    • always do some sort of run, even if only 10/15 mins, after a long bike.
    There's prob more but those are great principles, I think.
  • WW - I've taken ages to get over IMRE I think.  It's hard to tell after a while, isn't it? You don't know if you're just being pathetic or if you're genuinely still not recovered.  Hope you're on the way, though!  No hurry.

• Hi AH, good to see you on here sharing your experience with us. image  Had my first tri club turbo session this season. Great session, always hard.  Next week they are doing max HR testing so that should be fun....NOT, I best take a sick bucket.

With regards to the swimming, I have tried a nose clip but can't get seem to get it to stay on.

I am loving the training at the moment.......I am sure that will change in time. image

• Taper week for me. I currently run 3x a week and try to swim 2x. I'll start to bring the bike online after this weekend's marathon. It's ballbuster in 3 weeks!

I have suffered with ear infections after swimming but not at the moment. I keep thinking ear plugs...

Razor51 wrote (see)

Thanks guys,....  physio says the problem is a nerve in my back which is travelling down my leg.

Ouch. Sciatic nerve?

Hen - I took my MHR from a 5k effort. I'ts quite high, but I'm sure I can get it higher!
  • +1 for a nose clip
    I used to get horrendous sinus issues- all sorted with a clip

another +1 for gordo and friel - lots of good advice, no set program but more than enough info to make one up
    Ie
    Key sessions
    Long bike- build from 2 hrs to 6 over the next 20-30 weeks
    Long run- build from 30 mins to 2 1/2 hrs
    Long swim- build to 90 mins Confucius swimming

All other sessions (up to 3 in tital inc above per sport) support the above. Drop them if necessary but not the above long sessions

3 weeks foward, one week recover( ie long ride back to 2 hrs)

Consistency is king- you will get fitter, just don't too much too soon

Ignore other people if they( ie me) say they are doing mega sessions. Everyone is in a different place, have different time available, different goals etc

Run tempo sessions/ intervals/ speed work. Unless you are a speedy marathon runner, forget it. Until you can run the whole IM marathon without slowing, then just keeping running is the most important thing. Aerobic running- zones upper 1&2 is where it's at

Run/walk strategy. I use it, (run 8-10 mins, walk 1 min) on all runs > 1hr,and on race day. Others tried it this year, at regensburg, they may comment on how it went for them

Nutrition- plenty of time yet, but start eating/ drinking regularly on long bikes/runs. I eat something every 30 mins, and run with a camel pack in training and drink something on every walk bit

Weights- I dropped those in yr 1, but maintained them last year..
    I think core / functional type stuff is worth it, as is yoga/ pilates

However. You also need to have a life - be realistic on how many hrs you have to exercise

I like gordos polystrene cup analogy

• Blimey I go on a bit

Anyway the polystyrene cup thing- its something along the lines that IM training is like turning a polystyrene cup inside out. Do it slowly over a long period and hey presto, the cup is inside out
    Do it quickly/ rush it and the cup rips
    You *are* the cup

• ThanksOC - makes a lot of sense  and I'm liking the all zone upper 1/2 bit.

<puts Friel on order>

<repeats - I am a polystyrene cup>

• M,oFoM,oFo ✭✭✭
    Got Friel beside the bed at the moment, can't find my Fink... I'm great at reading the books, just struggle to put it all into practice !
  • You and me both M,ofo........"I am the cup,........I am the cup"......image
  • I am in.........joining the thread and planning for Outlaw. image

A little background on me. Done a couple of sprints and OD’s the last couple years in an attempt to get fit and find a sport that fits around my family. I have a couple of young kids and although I don’t want to go to seed, finding a way of training and competing (should say completing) whilst putting family first is important to me.

So the journey starts...Back in July last year I had the pleasure of watching my husband complete Outlaw as a pirate. Since that day I knew it was a dream I had to chase. The event and pirate philosophy was brilliant and the fact that he did it without compromising work or family commitments was even more inspirational.

My basic plan is to Fink it and 'Just Finish'. My view on this thread is that the benefit will be in the shared experiences of novices and learning from the wisdom of the experienced ones amongst us. The thread should not try and replace the Fink book (or any other training plan), go and buy it. The price of the book is the same of a bottle of wine (need to change thinking.......price of a tub of isotonic nutrition powder!) .

For the next week I am on holiday in Spain. The opportunity for a warm weather training camp?........Yes, if your idea of a holiday is some gentle cycling and running with some less gentle eating and drinking.

• No.......... I Am The CUP and so is my wife imageimage
  • Sorry for those young peeps on here that's Monty Python " Life of Brian" image
  • imageimage I got it that makes me old. image
  • That means I'm old too Cake, image . One of my fav films image

I know its not much to most of you, but I just did 10 lengths of front crawl without stopping imageimageimageimage, get me!!

• image Nice one, well done on cracking crawl. imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Well done bburn! image

I'm another one who is better at reading than training!

Thanks OC for all your tips. 

Muffin Top - yes, I do agree that it is wise to buy/read the book. This thread is not a substitute. But hopefully it will help encourage and support each other as we go.

• Thanks, still a long way to go, but little steps and all that !

Another reader here too, Fink & Friel by my bedside, no wonder OH says I'm becoming obsessed image

• i think it's good to read the books to give you an overall flavour of what's coming and what you need to manage.

OC - glad you like Friel/Byrne, too. image  You've captured lots of the things I like about them.

One of their main things - which has been mentioned on this thread - is to concentrate on your limiters. Ie if your weak spot is swimming but you're a strong runner, do more swimming and less running.  That's really important if you're basing your training around Fink. One size def doesn't fit all. So really good point that OC's made - ignore what everyone else is doing/has done. It's awful when your max bike ride so far is 70 miles and you're talking to someone who's already done 100, twice! But it doesn't matter. image

+1 for Run/Walk by the way.  Same as OC here - runs of more than an hour are run 9 mins/walk 1 min.  Really takes the pain out of a) doing LSRs during training and b) The Day.  Doesn't seem as daunting and helps you to keep your average speed up.  Well, does for me, anyway.  In both IM runs I might even have done negative splits.

• OC and AH, it's really useful to have your advice.

As somebody coming to this as a runner, it's really tempting to fall back into running 5 or 6 times a week, because that my comfort zone. Also, I know it sounds a bit daft, but if I don't run, I have this guilty niggling worry that, firstly I'm not training hard enough, and secondly, I'll "loose my running fitness" and end up not being able to do it anymore.

I know it's stupid, because my goal isn't just be be a runner anymore, but it's difficult to break the habits and the mindset.

Or maybe it's just me!imageimage

• bburn - I know eXACtly what you mean.  In fact I had a crisis of running confidence recently and have embarked on a period of run-specific training until IM starts again at Xmas. But you're right - you have to be prepared to change your mindset for IM training. Having said that, you never know - some people smash their running PBs off IM training.

And, don't worry... once you get into IM training you certainly won't be feeling you're not training enough! image

• bburn plodder wrote (see)

OC and AH, it's really useful to have your advice.

As somebody coming to this as a runner, it's really tempting to fall back into running 5 or 6 times a week, because that my comfort zone. Also, I know it sounds a bit daft, but if I don't run, I have this guilty niggling worry that, firstly I'm not training hard enough, and secondly, I'll "loose my running fitness" and end up not being able to do it anymore.

I know it's stupid, because my goal isn't just be be a runner anymore, but it's difficult to break the habits and the mindset.

Or maybe it's just me!imageimage

image Nope was me the other year as well when I started on this ironing lark. As above consentract on your weak spot. Already been mentioned but take the opertunity before you start the training plan to get into the habit of training and get it so your lifestyle is happy with it. It's a generic plan and don't beafraid to change your plans alround life instead of the plan. This thread going to be very useful for folks once your well into the plan or you might get cabin fever.

A big part of the point off things like the pirates isn't the kit it's the muteral support while your at the coalface training. So don't be afraid to say BOO!!!! this sucks please give me a kick up the bottom sometimes.

It's going to be fun honest. Trust me I'm a muppet! imageimage

• Hi there,

I've just signed up for Outlaw too and hope to join the thread!

Some really useful and interesting posts here.

I've done a few sprints and an oly, but never done anything like this before. Do quite a bit of running but not particularly fast.

Hoping to follow Fink as well, but may end up doing a bit more biking, 'cos that seems to be my weak area.

Not really sure what I'm letting myself in for but hey ho!

• marafun over...bring it on!!!

enforced recovery, due to Fink being out of stock at Amazon.....I wonder why?image

whats 'The life of Brian?'imageimage

• image Postie's all the same with there red bands and bacon sandwiches. image
  • I got the Life of Brian thing!

Cake wrote (see)

image Nope was me the other year as well when I started on this ironing lark.

Well it's not a knitting club. It's an ironing club image Brilliant!
  • whats 'The life of Brian?'

It's a very funny Film, and "He's a very naughty boy" image sorry I really like Monty Paython image RP try and get to watch it im sure it's still funny even though it's very old image

ellabella16 well done on your entry, I'm not that brave yet image

I'm not good at Swim Bike or Running "GULP" I have a lot of work to do!!!!

I'm in the process of trying to convince my dad to lend me his treadmill to train on for over the winter months. My plan is if I have treadmill I could pop down to garage where my bike could be on turbo and use both if weather bad image
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Can you really turn a polystyrene cup inside out?

• I tried it today JEvans - and no! imageimage

Unless I did it too fast. image