Excited new runner

Comments

• Did an easy 4 miles straight after work. Very windy but didn't go too bad. Breathing felt good but legs were a bit sluggish. Now what to have for tea image
  • Just back from another great club run. Probably covered 6 miles this evening but with a couple of breaks as we moved between streets. One long hill climb in there of about .75 miles and some speed work and some general running.

All felt great although I'm shattered and starving now so need to go search out food.

Thanks for eating tips Booey unfortunately I was in the same meeting from 9.30 til 5.30 with only a half hour break today so by the time I left and negotiated the M25 I didn't have time to eat. I'll take in your wisewords and prep better next time.

Just to confirm it's eat a banana before you run and then eat as many Haribos as you like while you are running. That is right isn't it?
  • haha in theory yes image Haribos are only allowed for races image  never actually tried to eat anything whilst running yet image its bad enough at the water stations and soaking yourself haha

Well done on the club run, good that you still feel the same and enjoying it.  You need to enter a race and see how great that is image

Stripes - well done on the 4 miles

Well I have had 2 days rest now, fuelled up on an Indian last night image and ready for a club run at 5.15

Oh and all my new hi viz stuff came y/day from Sweat Shop, you are defo going to see me out running hehe

• Mmmmmm I love Haribos.

I ran in my new Hi Viz jacket and running tights last night. Never thought I'd be seen dead in that sort of get up esp the tights but they were sooo comfy and warm. I'll defo use them through the winter.

Even my wife said I looked ok in them now I've lost weight. I thought she would roll around laughing.

How far will you run with the club today Boo.

Now where can I get sone Haribos?
  • I will have to try some Haribos. I'm not actually very keen on sweets. Shame I can't use Chocolateimage
    Silver, club run sounded good. Got myself a base layer yesterday. Already got a bright green running jacket. Not sure the world is ready for me in tights though image
    Booey, hope the Curry was good. Know what you mean about drinks stations. I avoided it on Sunday. Don't really need it halfway through a 10k but I would never have been able to drink out of a cup whilst running. Maybe I'll do some practice and set up a drinks station on my drive image
  • I have a seriously sweet tooth Stripes. Sweets, chocs, biscuits, cakes are my best friends. image

However apart from the occasional treat I have managed to restrain myself and replaced them with strong coffee (black with an extra shot for me) cereal bars (Special K) and fruit (lots of). I know theres still a lot of sugar in the fruit but I figure it's better as it's natural (!?). It's worked for me in terms of weight loss and I never get that bloated feeling or indigestion anymore.

I have also cut out the occasional glass (sometimes bottle!) of plonk in the evenings which was a far too regular occurrence.

God I sound a real bore don't I?

That's it I'm getting a bag of Haribos to eat in the car on the way back to the office and a bottle of plonk to drink at home tonight. I must have burned 1000cals last night so due a treat or two.
  • I am lucky that I don't really have a sweet tooth. It is a good job because I love everything else that's bad for you. Beer and Take Away food are my problem. I have cut down on the former and completely cut out the latter in the last four months but boy it has been a struggle at times image
  • That was entertaining reading! Thanks, I was meant to be feeding the ducks with my children but got caught up on here, it's ok as they haven't noticed. Off out now but had to say hello after all that!

I'm not really qualified to comment as I'm under the unofficial 40+ (significantly) and could no more complete 10k than I could complete a marathon. I'm 27 and only just got into running after having my second baby who's not quite 4 months old yet. I'm loving it, this is so much fun. I've got the running bug.

I have my first 5k on Sat and I'll be run/walk-ing it! I'm aiming to do it before 50 mins but if I finish it in one piece I'll still be proud of myself! I've only been doing it for 6 weeks or so so I'll let myself off.

• I don't have a sweet tooth, I eat the odd choc bar but nothing excessive. 

Now Stripes and Silver please takenote and listen carefully - The Haribos or jelly babies are an instant energy boost ONLY WHEN FLAGGING IN A RACE image not when you fancy a few sweets haha image

I must be boring too, I eat pretty healthily, one takeout a month if that, virtually give up drinking since May image image (yawn yawn if thats what that face is <------) Drink use to be my only vice to be honest, according to my husband I was a binge drinker image hardly touched any during the week thinking how good I was then at the weekend drank it like it was going out of fashion haha I love my wine image my wine rack has been full for months now, its amazing image

I often think when I tell people running has changed my life, they must think yeah right, but it seriously has image

Stripes - in all honesty anything 10K or less you shouldn't need a drink if you are properly hydrated.  My logic for dealing with the drink stations in plastic cups is, if you really need a drink, take one get out of the way stop and drink it then get going OR pah to the drink and don't waste time image haha

Run England Club tonight so will only be a short run of around 3ish miles

• Hi Mal. I'm amazed anyone finds our waffle interesting (sorry Booey and Stripes I mean my waffle!) but it's good to know other people take the time to call into our cosy thread.

If you are up to 5k after 6 weeks and doing a race you are doing remarkably well. In fact given your age and potential we may have found the next Paula Radcliffe!

Hope the race goes well. Let us know how you do and if you need a manager when you become rich and famous just let me know.

Now stop neglecting the children and feed those ducks!

PS you are welcome to call in anytime despite your age!
  • Maladroit - we are here to entertain image please join us when you can and to hell with your age image lol

Good luck with your first 5K you will love it

Come back and let us know how you get on

• Great minds ah silver  image (edited got name wrong haha)
  • Oh you are there Boo! I thought you'd deserted the thread too.

I think everyday should have some humour don't you agree? Life's too short without it.

Are you in all Hi Viz tonight or just the jacket? It was chilly last night after the sun went down so wrap up warm.
  • Don't know if you saw my post above, we all seemed to post at once image

Hi Viz tops, all my bottoms are black.  I have 2 flashing  band thingy things that you can put round your arms or legs.....lovely haha

5.15 run so back before dark, not for much longer thought clocks alter soon image 

• Hi Maladroit. I'm not the newbie anymore! We'll let you off the 40+ rule, anyway I'm only 39 and 10 and a bit months. Think all of us have got a serious case of the running bug. Good luck with the 5k. We want a full report image

You are right Silver, I am definitely a waffler!

Booey, you have done well to cut down the alcohol, I am a binge drinker, rarely drink from Sunday to Thursday but have been trying to cut down at the weekend as well.

I only really drink Real Ale but I do like the odd glass of red wine. I obviously don't have a sophisticated palate because I think that all white wine tastes like paint stripper  image

The racing will hopefully help me cut down because I've made a rule that I won't drink at all on the weekend of a race. Just been to the Post Office and sent off three race entries!

Yeah, agree about the drinks stop, was quite focused at halfway anyway and would have only spilled it. I drink a lot of water every day as a rule and don't struggle with hydration however that may be different if and when I start hitting longer distances on my long weekend run. I don't want to have anything to carry though so may need to get a belt. Don't know how people use those handheld bottles, would drive me potty.

• Oh sorry Boo I keep missing posts and getting everything out of order. It's not my mind that's going it's because I have switched off the notification email thingy as other peeps in my office can and do read my messages and then prob read this thread too.

I tried carrying a water bottle once Stripes but it was a pain and I just couldn't take the water down while running. I found the only way to do it was to squirt it right in my mouth! I've yet to have the pleasure of a water station or a jelly baby station for that matter.

All this talk about eating and drinking is making me hungry. I defo having a glass of Pinot Noir tonight and it's gonna be a big one. Prob knock me out for the night!
  • Morning All! Well 2 glasses of plonk last night and I was out like a light. I have to say since I started running my sleeping has been great Si I feel refreshed this morning if not a bit heavy headed!

It's a beautiful morning here crisp and clear so I'm contemplating a lunchtime 5k across the fields.

How did your run go Boo? Did you get out Stripes?

I ran back through the posts last night and our conversation made more sense second time round as we did all post at the same time. I'll be on my PC today so it should be easier to follow.

Wonder if the newbie Mal will call in again. Wonder if Suzie will ever come back. It must be the Great South Run soon?
  • Silver - I don't have the email notifications on either its just to risky at work.  Something was mentioned the other day about internet use so I am trying to be a tad careful and deleting my history everyday.

Well I did my Run England club run last night.  The first half was a fair bit of hill work which wasn't always easy and it takes me a good mile to get into a rythmn and sort my breathing out.  We took advantage of it still being light and went out of the town and round a golf course which was nice and covered 5K in all

Out with DRR (Daventry Road Runners) tonight so looking forward to that, the ladies have already text me to say they are going which is nice of them image

• Blimey tried posting this for last 2 hours but I think site has been down!

I know what you mean on the internet use. We tell the young lads in the office to not abuse it so I should also be a bit more restrained. Don't get into any trouble yourself - just ignore the messages if you can't respond.

Can't believe you are out 2 nights running. Are you a machine - don't you need to rest? I figure I deserve a day off between runs and to be honest my body needs it. That said I went on Google Earth yesterday and worked out that we ran over 10k at the club run the previous night.

I have to say when I started I didn't think I'd last the whole hour as I felt v. stressed from work and had real aches in my neck and back but by the time I finished I felt great. Very loose and relaxed and I slept like a baby. Well I would have done if my 4 year old hadn't come into our bedroom at 1.30 and got into our bed. God they can wriggle! Its not something we encourage but sometimes I just cant be bothered with the arguments putting them back to bed at that time.

Did you use the flashing light thingys when you were out last night?

• Yeah the site has been down

Depends how far you are running re the rest.  If you follow a schedule you don't rest everyday and its the only way to build up your resistence.  I am currently following the Hal Higdon Novice 2 Half Marathon Schedule am on week 3 at the moment and all is good image

Didn't use my flashing lights last night was still light, prob will tonight image once I get the Brooks Nighlife Cap with the flashing light in the back I will be the running chrimbo tree image haha

Well Curly (husband)  is home later from Weymouth, he entered Speed Week (Windsurfing) I am so pleased for him he came 1st in his group yesterday as they got the results this morning image and on Tuesday he came 4th so I think he is pretty happy image 

• Boo - I'll be looking for the glow over Bedfordshire from your flashing lights this evening image Haha!

Your hubby did well - he must be good - I windsurfed a few times when I was younger but I just couldnt get the knack and ended up tangled up with the fishermens lines in the corner of the reservoir!  that and i get really bad sea sickness which ruled me out of watersports!image

Having this notification thingy turned off is not nearly as much fun is it.?  I miss the spontaneity (sp?) of our chats and your witty sense of humour is not quite the same with an hours delay!!image

Oh well, just have to go with it I guess - unless you fancy a job here?image

Thought Id go mad on the smiley faces as I may not get many more chances today! imageimageimageimage

• If its glowing over Bedford thats not me image I am in Northants image haha

Where is Stripes today image has he been repremanded at work for abusing the internet image image

My running mileage seems to be down this month image I have 11 days to get my act together image

• Oh its all the same to me in that part of the world.  I'll look North that should be good enough!

Stripes has gone to ground today - maybe he's joined a real running thread like that other one you keep dissappearing to!

How many miles do you do a month?  I try to get in 50k on average? Blimey that sounds a lot doesnt it?image

• I record it all on Fetch, hold on I will have a look

brb

• July - 43

Aug - 62

Sept - 59

Oct so far - 37

Thats all in miles

I think I will clock quite abit more by the end of the month as when I am away in Newquay for by Birthday I intend on running alot, gonna try hard to do my first 10 miles image yulp!

• OMG that's a lot of running Booey! You are a machine!

I checked my Runmeter app and was quite pleased with the 50k a month but your 62m in August puts me to shame. Did you sleep in that month?

See just as I start thinking I can call myself a real runner I see something like that and realise I'm still just pootling about. Oh well As I said before I need to remember where and why it started!

The break in Newquay sounds good bet you can't wait. I loved my runs in Swanage as they were so picturesque. I'd love to be back here now.

Didn't run this lunch as I was a bit too busy but I'll try and get in a 5k this evening. Hi Viz and tights again me thinks. There's something attracting me to those tights although it's a bit odd sitting here thinking I can't wait to get home to put my tights on!

• Thats nothing at all compared to some of the real machines on this forum image

You are a real runner, it doesn't matter what your mileage is as long as you enjoy it image and don't forget I have alot more spare time than you.  Just keep getting out when you can and try and get a race booked image that will spur you along and putting the tights on of course image 

Really am looking forward to running by the sea image

• What are the real machines running per month then just to make me feel really inadequate?

I think I now have the perfect night in planned it involves Haribos, Red wine and wesring tights - just don't tell Mrs Silver!

Do you think I should be a bit more focused in these posts. I know we are here to discuss running but my mind wanders off piste most days.

I hope no serious runners read this thread! Present company accepted that is image

• Nah lets keep the thread just as it is, my mundane days are far brighter having a chuckle with you image we do talk sensible a fair bit image haha

No idea what the real runners do a month but who cares image

Have you tried the really fizzy haribos that make you pull that funny face when you eat one image love them hehe

• Right am off at 4

Don't forget to look for the lights northwards image haha

Have a good evening