Advice on the best gloves please

I no longer want to wear 2 pairs of gloves this winter, the benefit of putting my 1000 mile gloves over my gore gloves is minimal. Over the last 2 years - training for marathons through the winter, and spring come to think of it has been painful at times, some of you may be familiar with the scenario, you're 12 miles into a run and carrying a bottle of drink that is literally freezing whilst running, you get the drift.......what can I buy that'll be better than wearing 2 sets of gloves? Obviously I could wear ski gloves, but that won't do, what's more my hands freeze when skiing in the best ski gloves money can buy at -25c, so not an option. Idea anyone? Surely there must be some ace gloves out there for us Raynauds sufferers.

Cheers

Phil.

Comments

• http://www.mjsport.co.uk/AdidasPlayersGloves2.jpg

I've got a pair of Adidas gloves from JJB.  They're not technical or anything, they just keep my hands warm. I tried a few "running" gloves, but they didn't really do the job.
  • I have only found one pair of gloves that kept my fingers even remotely not frozen. They came from Cotswold  and are called "extremities"

I too have Raynauds and have tried all sorts of things to try and keep my hands warm, these are the only glove that have come close to working and I have a cupboard of gloves that people have given to me, I think I've tried the lot.

Also try wearing a buff to keep your neck warm, there is some research that suggests that this is where the problem stems from.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/product/extremities-windy-lite-glove/fuseaction/products.detail/code/1C310227

The fabric is wind resistant which makes a massive difference.

• Hi, I would also love some more recommendations on this....just started training for a marathon &, like Phil, suffer with Raynauds

Any help greatly appreciated image

.....like the look of the Adaidas ones above.....although thinking that sweating in normal gloves is not going to help keep your hands warm as the moisture will just be on the surface - making colder hands?

L

• The extremities are designed for outdoor sports such as trail running and so on so are wickable, quick drying, wind resistant. There is a range of different gloves.

I also have a supplier for tech fabric and am going to make myself some mittens, I find that mittens work better than gloves.

I have also found some water resistant pertex fabric which is ultra light weight so will trial a waterproof layer for when it's wet - they will be light enough to bung in a small pocket. I can make sample pairs for anyone who wants to try them, if I get hand sizes.

• Will get these Imelda as my daughter has Reynauds and I am just going to go shopping for some new running gloves, I used normal gloves last year and as you sweat your hands then get cold if you are on a long run. Appreciate the information.  Well done.image
  • As posted on another thread, Altura windproof cycling gloves, Endura Strike Mountain bike gloves for extreme cold. Both work wonders with Raynauds for me. The toes give me the worst problem!

If all else fails, I take a 5mg Nifedipine but check with your GP etc first coz you don't half get a sodding headache.
  • I find mittens warmer than gloves, sometimes too warm, might be worth a try
  • GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭
    +1 for mittens, last year I went out in my snowboarding "gauntlet mittens" which come halfway up my forearm!

I might have looked daft, but my fingers were toasty image
  • Thanks Imelda, and, everybody else that contributed.  Funny enough, I came accross these Extremities gloves just before I entered the post. I'll report back once I've got a pair - and of course - tested them in 0c and below.   
  • I just ordered some windproof mittens (sugoi) - looking forwards to trying them. If I remember, I will post a little report! First time I've come across windproof mittens.

Usually asics performance gloves work well (windproof, cheap and extremely durable), but when it is very cold or if I run slowly I need an extra layer. I have loads of different gloves and mittens for different conditions. Some of my other favorites are very thin icebreaker merino glove liners (good for running as they are very breathable, and fits under my other gloves, easy to tuck under the sleeve if it gets too warm), and extremities goretex over-mittens.
  • I got some Extremities Wind Stopper gloves for Christmas, I've worn them, but not in cold conditions yet. Will report back when its properly cold!
  • My daughter was just diagnosed with Raynaud's and we live in Alaska. We haven't always lived here, but she has always suffered with these terrible episodes of her feet, hands and nose getting so cold that she cries in pain. So I am reaching out to the world for help on how to keep her warm. I have bought nearly every winterboot that is rated to -40 degrees F and she still freezes when the temps are barely at freezing. Not to mention what I have spent and bought for gloves. I'm pretty savy with a sewing machine and thought about making her some mittens that may look a little more fashionable than what I have found thus far. She is an avid runner, she runs X-country and track. Both sports are during cool temps and she is miserable waiting for heat or waiting for the meet to begin. Please remember she is your average teenager and is trying her best to embrace this, but is frustrated with the lack of fashion in extreme cold weather gear. If anyone can send me some websites it would be great. I'm at the point of trying the Baffin Extreme Winter boot rated at -134F, but no clue for gloves. I know what to do for the possible sweating, between wool socks and putting cornstarch in her sock along with spraying her feet and hands with anti-perspirent. thanks fo all the help you send. I hate seeing my daughter in pain doing the things she loves most.

• I have no idea what I would wear in those temperatures. My experience from less extreme minus degrees is that my feet are a lot happier if the sole is not too stiff and I can move them (curl my toes etc), so paradoxically feel cold in very sturdy boots. I like Merrell Tremblant but have never tried them in less than -15. In the winter I also cannot manage without thin merino socks in my trainers. They don't absorb too much water and remain warm even after sweating. I get mine from Norway for Christmas every year.

• I agree, mittens are way warmer than gloves, and I used to use lobster mitts (just one finger split) for biking and XC skiing until I discovered gloves without finger-ends but with a foldover mitten.

Now I run and ski down to  minus 20s. Coldest run so far this season was about -15C. The best combinations are offered by a thin pair of glove liners and a pair of fingerless gloves with a foldover mitten flap. In combinations of with/without flap folded over and with/without liner I cover about a 30C range. A bonus is that the flap can be folded away to expose the finger-ends for fiddly work without taking the whole thing off.

My favorite glove/mitt is a Salewa Tour Windstopper glove. They can be hard to find and a bit pricey, but they are worth it. Here's Salewa's website. If you know you might use liners too, order a slightly larger size, as you don't want bloodflow into your fingers restricted. I've seen similar gloves used by shooting hunting fishing types who might have to do fiddly stuff in the cold, so you could check those shops too. I tried a pair that also had a fold-back thumb, but they weren't as good as the Salewas.

Picture below shows the flaps folded back to allow fiddly work.

http://media.salewa.com/20122/00-0000020501_tour-ws-glove/imeinsatz/Handschuhe_Falzarego.jpg

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

They look quality!

I'm hoping to get by with a combination of lobster mitts + merino wool thermal glove liners.  I've had the lobster mitts for a few weeks and they're about the best gloves I've had so far for anything down to about freezing, but they were showing their limitations during the coldest part of December.

Looks like it's turning again so I'll report back once I've given them a good go on the bike.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Also, stop carrying your drink in your hand!

Get a bottle belt, which frees your hands, holds more drink and has compartments for things like keys, phone, sweeties, etc.

Have you tried things like Mycoal handwarmers?

• I too am a Raynaud's sufferer and have found the pain to be at its worst at the start of my runs when the blood isn't pumping to my extremities.

I have found the best gloves for me are very light cotton gloves or even fingerless gloves. I'm not sure how this works but the heavier the glove the less likely the pain will subside. Must be something to do with air flow.

As previously mentioned for ultimate warmth mittens are the best but when i run they are too warm. Again i think it is down to air flow that they work so well as opposed to tight fitting large gloves.

• I've found that gloves that are even slightly tight fitting make it worse (restricting blood flow?). I have considered mitts, but currently my xxl lightweight fleece gloves from decathlon do the job (and only £1)