Options

Brass monkey half marathon

Is anyone else planning on entering this race?

Enteries aren't open yet but I will be entering as soon as they are - I like nice flat courses!

Comments

• Options

You will have to be very quick. Fills up in less than 2 days

Recently started blog  -

Latest Post  - 2.5 weeks into Hadd training

• Options

From when it opens that is.

Recently started blog  -

Latest Post  - 2.5 weeks into Hadd training

• Options
    I plan on doing this. Does anybody know when they plan to open the entries?
  • Options
    It is so so very very very boring.
  • Options

I did it last year.  It opened at 9am on the last Saturday in October and it had sold out by around 2pm!  The opening date was posted on the site a week before the online entries were open so there was plenty of notice. I will do it again.

• Options

Can someone explain what the crazy clamour for places is all about with BM?

There are plenty other flat half marathons about  where you can enter right up to the day of the race.

BM is a good course but not unique in its flatness.

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    Parkrunfan, what are the other pancake flat HMs?
  • Options
    Brian. wrote (see)
    Parkrunfan, what are the other pancake flat HMs?

Freckleton
    GER
    Central Lancashire
    Great North West
    Lancaster
    Chester
    Fleetwood
    Redcar

...are all flat and just as fast as BM. And no doubt there are plenty more!

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Cheers PRF, I am aware of Fleetwood (bl**dy Winter there this year!!!) but not done the others.

I guess it depends on how far one wishes to travel. York is relatively local to me.

I am guessing you reside in the NW?

• Options

No, I'm near Leeds but none of those are particularly long journeys.

The longest is GER, which we did last Sunday, and that was no big deal travel wise.
  • Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    I suppose the venue has something to do with the attraction.
    York racecourse is a terrific facility and the parking and amenities are 1st class.
    Once people do a race and everything goes well they are tempted to go back.
    York is a decent place to visit too.
  • Options

For me the Brass Monkey is at the time of year when there are very few HM's within a reasonable distance for me to travel to on the morning.  This is only 30 miles away so is a really good option.  If I didnt get in I wouldn't be too bothered as there is a 10 mile the week after which I have never done before so it would be a sure PB image

• Options

I still dont get it!

Why the mad scramble for places for a HM in York when entry to equally appealing races is much more civilized?

Bridlington HM this Sunday has entry on the day and no entry limit for instance.

• Options
    Yes Bridlington HM is a good one,  I will be there on Sunday!
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I'll be scrambling for an entry the day it opens otherwise I won't get in!    200 mile round trip but its one of the closest ones to me. image

• Options
    There aren't many alternatives in January, it's a PB course that's well organised and it motivates me to train over xmas - I'll be trying for a place again.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

In January there is Central Lancashire  and also Essar Four Villages in Cheshire, not flat but course records of 1:04/1:13 so not bad.

Whats so special about January anyway?

I'm not saying theres anything wrong with BM, I've finished 4th there so quite like it image, but just dont see why it gets the crazy mad rush mentality that it does.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    There are two other races I do in the year that are the same - sold out in a couple of hours. Maybe the BM attracts more people from the north where there are not so many races available? Who knows! My club organises a fell race that usually sells out within 3 months. This year we did online entires only for the first time and it filled within a week.

Are other races online entry only too? That's what seems to drive everyone into a frenzy.
  • Options
    Minni wrote (see)
    There are two other races I do in the year that are the same - sold out in a couple of hours. Maybe the BM attracts more people from the north where there are not so many races available? Who knows! My club organises a fell race that usually sells out within 3 months. This year we did online entires only for the first time and it filled within a week. Are other races online entry only too? That's what seems to drive everyone into a frenzy.
    Not so many races in the North? Is this a different North to the one I live in? image

There are endless flat 10 milers where there is usually no problem entering on the day - why dont these attract the same silliness in terms of entry. I'm glad they dont but its a bit of a puzzle!
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Ah but I'm in the far North, 120 miles North of Leeds!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

PRF.. coming from the sundrenched metropolis of Tadcaster the BM course is about 6 miles from me so dead handy.  I've been doing this race 'since I were a lad' (early 90's) and I agree that the fervour over entries has got a bit daft over the last 10 years or so.  This subject was debated on one of the BM threads in recent years, I think the conclusion was partly because half marathons seem to be very trendy. Certainly I can't say I see see the same clamour for places at 10k's, 10 milers etc. 

BTW 4th is a thoroughly decent effort, which year was it?  I might even have the results!   I know BR has finished top 10 though never as high as 4th, you can taunt him about that on your next meeting..  image

• Options
    Wardi - Anything to taunt him is worth its weight in gold! image The year for the 4th would have been 93 give or take a year, I know it was very windy indeed that day!
  • Options
    Opens on Wednesday but it doesnt say who through yet.  It was Run Britain last year but there is nothing on there yet.
  • Options

If anyone doesn't make the entry in time then let me know and I'll take you on a 13 mile run in York that doesn't bore the arse off you!

Who said Lancaster half was flat? It is flat apart from the 2 big hills in it! Pretty fast course though.

• Options
    I'm going to have a go at the brass monkey, if I can get in! I just did the GNR and fancy something a bit closer to home to start 2012 and keep me motivated through the winter months. A PB would be a bonus but I'm not sure I'll be able to train as hard for this one through December and January.
  • Options

Enteries open for this tomorrow. I can't do it anymore due to a change in the football fixtures, good job they were announced today and not tomorrow.

Good luck everyone trying to enter.

• Options
    Bloody neighbours woke me up by slamming their door. Now wide awake, so de ided to check what time entries opened tomorrow.

It's open for entries and 4 people are already in!

Off to get my credit card...
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Thanks for the tip off!

• Options
    Thanks for the heads up!
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.