sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Bareclona (21/3) for me - if only I can figure out how to enter it!
  • so Alex, what and when is this get together?
  • Barcelona looks favourite for me but I'm a bit put off by it being 3 weeks before FLM. Training events won't fit in.
  • wow - ran 4 miles the other day, like an old man. wouldn't fancy the next 22.2....
  • Well done Wolf!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Hope every one is out putting the miles in,not much going on hear.Missed you all,DOING CHRISTMAS PUDDING RUN ON SUNDAY!SHOULD BE PLODDING RUN.
  • yep

up to 3 or 4 miles per session now. a mountain to climb, but finally feeling very little pain

accupunctuire yesterday nearly killed me and actually drew blood
  • handicapped by not being able to post by day-my it dept have finally closed off all access to forums and chatrooms-grr.have been out 6x in last 10 days,nice and easy .need to push up the mileage a bit,but new shoes wearing in,waistline has stopped getting bigger.now all i need to know is whether i'm in or not!!i bequeathed,and if i don't i'll lne up with macmillan again,hopefully.so must get myself sorted.more soon.
  • Hi there

I wanna run under 4 hours. Last time out (7 years ago) I managed 4.20, but this time will be different - I'm definitely not going to train for 6 months only to miss the 4 hour mark!

I've not put a running schedule in place yet - I'm just doing a "few runs a week" - but I ran the Cabbage Patch 10 miles in 1.15 so I'm not starting from zero.

What schedules is everyone else looking at?
  • i'm doing about 20 miles per week and am trying to up it some more! how quick should i be doing say a 8 miler if i wanna realisticly beat 4 hours?
  • 64-66 minutes

if you search the net for, say, "running calculator" or "running time predictor" or marathon calculator, you'll find lots of sites that help you to plot your interdmediate target times.

the other thing is to ensure that you;ve done plenty of long runs - no good being able to run 8 miles in 64 but crash and burn at 16 miles.

goos luck - keep us in the picture
  • PS for info - am going craply myself.

not sure i could even manage 8 miles at this stage
  • cheers wolf. i am too keen at the minute. honestly i'm totally addicted....i'm having to try really hard not to over do it!
  • no- 25 miles a week in nov and dec is a good place to start
  • the thing is i was doing nothing 4 weeks ago! i don't want to do too much too soon! i'm pretty injury prone so i'm being careful - bought some swanky running shoes last week which are a massive improvement to my previous pair.

i'm all over this marathon thing....i just hope my keenness remains so strong!
  • anyone on this sub 4 thread using yasso's as a training method? Or has anyone used them in the past? I'm interested in trying them this time round so any tales of success or woe would be welcome!
  • I did Yasso's last year and although I enjoyed doing them (usually hate speedwork) I thought the 4min jog was too long even when I got up to 10. Plan to cover the 800m in 3.45 with decreasing jogs between this time round. Injured at the moment so this is all hypothetical.

I'm gonna... - Yasso 800's are covered in this months RW, otherwise type it in to Google. Basically they're speedwork sessions run 800m in time you want to finish marathon eg if you wanna finish in 4 hrs you run 800m in 4mins then jog for 4 mins. Start by doing this 4 - 5 times & build up to 10 reps.
  • Llama Man - did you complete a marathon 'on time' off the back of yasso's training? Or were they just part of your general training and didn't lead to 26.2?
  • hello there. gonna jump on this thread.
    the best i have managed is a 2 hour half-marathon, but i really hope to up the ante and pull off a sub-4 hour showing for the FLM.
    off to read the thread...
    JPVD.
  • morning all,having a stuttering start to the 18 week build up,not getting out enough owing to arrival of new baby,rather distracting and needing some time spending on more mundane domestic duties.rather disappointed not to have the rw schedules in the mag this month.but off for a decent length run at lunchtime.shins a little sore- reflecting loss of calf muscle conditioning i expect.i have now had my expression of interest confirmation letter from macmillan so soon it will be fundraising time and that will also help concentate the mind.

also i have entered and roped in a couple of non forum mates for reading,where i want to smash my pb of 1.57 and really push under 1.50.thats not too long away,beginning of march,so the need to get into much better nick before xmas is getting more acute.

yasso's i did use a bit last year though didn't finish the programme.i have heard that they are as much of a diagnostic as a programme-in other words you should train so you can complete the 10 sets in under 4 rather than pushing yourself to run them in under 4 to get fitter.i guess that means you start running the full set slower and speed up or drop the interval rather than doing what i did and start with 4 or 5 reps at 4 and try to add them...but happy to hear what you think.but at least its as session that's easy to remember and calibrate.
  • Hullo. Just found the thread. Definitely up for running with a group IF IF IF IF IF!!!

Did 1:47 at Bath last year and I'm currently hitting about that in training so I'm hoping sub 4 is on. Trying my first 16 miler this weekend (gulp).

God forbid I don't get in does anyone know of any alternative races within a week or so?? After years of swearing I'd never do one of these wretched things it's in my head now that I'm going to do one whether or not it's FLM, so I need an "in case" race to get shot of this infuriating compulsion!!

By the way Alex : apart from the long run a lot of how I got under 1:50 last year was based around a regular weekly interval session building up from 6 to 12 x 1km reps at about 7.45 min miling. Really tough session but it got me under 48 mins for 10 km which was the start point really.

Best of luck!!
  • Hello Alex, we met at FLM2003 in the trafalgar thistle at the URWRC meeting. My cheque is cashed so all being well I am in. Not booked any hotel yet. looking forward to the punishing training schedule this winter! NOT. But we all know that you only get out what you put in. See you in April

The original Buddha mind
  • hi count me in, im going to do it every year until i crack the 4 hour barrier, ive done 4.35, then 4,25, then last time it was 4.22 so ive got to do it one year surely, made up with a virus at the moment so training not gone so good but hope to get out running next week and start the 16 week schedule, or am i getting my hopes up too much,
  • Got a letter on Saturday to say that I’m in through the bequethed draw so looks like it paid off. What a relief, now need to step up the runs. Any one else heard yet?
  • Hello Alex and all other sub 4 hopefuls.

Whether I get an FLM place or not I'm up for the training.

I'm currently doing a steady 50 mpw base training at around 9:30/10 min mile pace.
    Will start serious interval/hill work in Jan. Very interested by the Yasso's. Reckon I can do around 50 mins 10,000m on the track, so I think that sub 4 hours is a sensible target for me in my first marathon.

Looks like there's some interest building for a regular Sunday 11am in Richmond Park if anyone here would like to join us.
  • yes...bring your blue helly hanson top.
    JPVD.
  • Officially rejected! Still, Amsterdam next October is looking good.

Good luck all you sub-4ers. Do the training and you'll do the time, no worries.
  • Sorry to hear that Dr Galah I am still waiting, but will do it no matter what!!!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • oh shit am in.

also am moving to belgium on jan 5 to take up new posting. very little chance of serious training from jan to marchg so will probably have to resign from this thread, but will hang on in for a couple of months to see what transpires.

fingers crossed for all other threaders on the entries