Sleep

I'm looking at revising my training schedule to squeeze in early runs before I go to work, thus avoiding missing them if I'm late home from work or family commitments prevail in the evening.

My way of thinking is that at 5:15 in the morning no-one wants me or any of my time and as long as I am disciplined to get up, I should therefore stick to the schedule.

This however will mean I'll get circa. 6 hours sleep on a week night which is probably an hour less than I currently think I need?

How many hours to you get / need?

Do you see a direct correlation between your energy available for training and sleep taken?

Also, do you find you need more sleep as your mileage increases (e.g. marathon training)?

TIA

Kev 

Comments

• Since the birth of my son 8 and a half years ago I have pretty much got by on 6 hours - as he is still an early riser - over the past 9 months since I started running to lose weight and get fitter, I have been going out at 6 am for the same reason you are thinking about going out early - and as you say it gets the run out of the way before family and work commitments take over.  Your body does adapt to it and leaves you feeling great!!!
  • I find the one thing I always under-estimate in marathon training is how tired I get (3 marathons done now).  This summer I booked a few extra Mondays as annual leave from work when the mileage was at its peak.  That meant I could have a lie in and just generally catch up on stuff at home - was able to do this as my allowance had been 'mis calculated' so I had spare days.  This did make a difference over previous marathons.  I probably get about 6-7 hours sleep normally, but definitely feel better if I get around 8 or ideally 9 (though that rarely happens!!). 

If I did another marathon, I would try much harder at getting to bed at a reasonable time.  I think in hindsight I stayed up late to fit in stuff like housework, work and other stuff that fell behind because of the increased training time.  If I'd become even more of a domestic slob than I am already I think the earlier nights would have been a real benefit.

However, I think I am a particularly lazy person and I'm sure most people are much better than me!

• Thanks for replies - glad to hear some of you manage on 6 hours as well!
  • I normaly get up at around 5am to run, I have tried going to bed earlier but I can't sleep till gone 11

So 6 hours seems to be my norm, I do however try and lay in late either Saturday or Sunday to catch up a bit. As Grendel says your body does adapt over time.

The best thing about early runs is

1) its done

2) There are very few people around, so no abuse

3) in the summer you get to see some beatiful sun rises.

4) most races are in the mornings so your body will be used to running earlyimage

5) you can join the rest of us early nutter Stupid O'Clock Runners