Excited new runner

Comments

• Mal if you can fit it around your busy home life you could go on a Parkrun in less than 6 weeks even next Saturday if you feel up to it. Did you set that target for a reason or did you just think you needed that long to recover?

Great that your family were waiting for you at the end of the race it's good to have that support.

Where is your nearest Parkrun by the way. Mine's near Slough and thanks to my boys football being off for the half term I may actually be able to go next Saturday!

Lion King was good by the way. Although I think we enjoyed it more than the kids. Not nearly enough action for them and my 4 year old couldn't sit still for more than 2 mins. I think it was all the Maltesers!

Better food day for me except for the bucket of popcorn although I never count that as its mostly air!
  • Yeah, I concur, popcorn is almost entirely air, it doesn't count.

It was a parkrun event yesterday, 6 weeks was partly because I thought I wouldn't want to do it again so soon and partly because it's an hour away. in Southwick country park, Trowbridge. Also because I'm nursing the baby everyone has to come and poor Mr Mal has to entertain both children in the park alone. He's not used to it and finds it tough. But since I'm already itching to give it another go I wonder if I can exchange a night on the tiles for him on payday with an extra parkrun for me in a couple of weeks.

Hope you manage to go next Saturday.

I can't even imagine taking my 3 1/2 year old to the cinema so hats off to you (unless there's some magic transformation in attention span from age three to four.)

• Oh I see that is a long way to be driving every Saturday for a run. You should look on the events on here to see if anything is coming up closer to you. I'm amazed how many events there are and I know Booey and Stripes have entered a few through this site.

That said you have your hands full at the moment so I'd imagine getting out at all isnt easy.

As for kids there's not much change at 4 but I think you get used to doing things with the older one and the younger one just comes along at an earlier age. My older boy has always been v well behaved in that situation so we've taken him from a v early age. My younger boy is a right live wire he's louder and livelier than boy no. 1 and he can be a handful sometimes.

Sounds like a trade off with your hubby may be a good idea. We've always shared child duties 50:50 so there's still a lot of trade offs in our relationship when it comes to childcare.

I don't know what's going on tonight - I cannot sleep. No real reason for it I feel shattered but I've just been wide awake since 2. Don't you just hate that!
  • Morning Booey. I'm up your way today, well near Bedford anyway. Is that close to you? As I said before the bit above the M25 and below Yorkshire is a mystery to me. Its a bit like the Bermuda Triangle if it wasn't for the sat nav I could be lost forever! image
  • Morning everyone image

Mal - well done on your race and time, thats excellent image I did my first 5K in 35.30 and most recent in 30.58, still not a sub 30 but its amazing how your time improves image racing defo spurs you on more

Silver & Stripes - well done on the weekend running, sounds like we all did our bit so pats on the back all round image

I did abit on tready Friday but it was irritating a niggle in my thigh muscle so only managed 1.5 miles before stopping.  Rested Saturday then y/day did the ressy run 6.52 miles in 1.11, shaved nearly 10mins off my last time so well pleased with that.  It felt easier, easier not easy imageimage

Silver - nope not near Bedford, if its easier to remember I am in a village about 3 miles from Watford Gap Services on the M1 image

• Well done on the ressy run Boo - thats about 10k isn't it?image

It must be great having the ressy on your doorstep as an alternative to street running.  I get a bit bored with road running as the scenery is limited.  Much prefer running out here in the fields of Oxfordshire where theres stuff to see.

I've loved getting out this weekend, my only regret is not pushing on yesterday to get to 10k myself but even with the run on Saturday it felt good so that gives me a lot of confidence.  I hope to get to the club run again tomorrow evening but that will depend on work as the next few days/weeks are looking v. busy.image

Got it now - you are near Watford Gap which is nowhere near Bedford. For years when driving down from the North I used to think that Watford Gap was in Watford and I couldn't understand why it took so long to reach London after passing it.  Confusing isn't it? - or maybe its just me? Time for a smiley like this me thinks.image

• Hi Booey. Well done on the run yesterday. Know what you mean. I never find it easy but tried to take it very steady as you are supposed to on your long run and know I could have maybe done a bit more. If someone had told me three months ago that I would be running almost seven miles I would have scoffed.
  • Booey, thanks for showing me your times and the improvement. That's really interesting.
  • Silver - yeah just about, 10K = 6.2 miles.  The ressy is lovely and pretty so makes a change, hubby was windsurfing and the sailing  club had a big boat race going on. He managed to see me y/day on my way round and give me a wave, thanks to the hi viz top I had on image  Its a trail rather than tarmac so not as easy and the small stones get in your runners now and again

You will prob find next time you do your run you will go for the 10K, you creep up with the mileage before you know it.

Stripes - I remember only a few weeks ago thinking, will I ever be able to run all the way round the ressy and then only a couple of weeks later I managed it.  Its a great feeling ah image 

Away in Newquay this weekend from Friday to Tuesday so going to try and do a 10 miler.  Hubby has windsurfed at Stithians lake there before and its just under 5 miles round so maybe try and do it twice image to be honest anything over 7 miles will be new ground for me so wont kill myself if I feel 10 is to much.  Also looking forward to running by the sea image

• BTW

I would just like to say

RIP Marco Simoncelli you will be sadly missed in MotoGP image

We loved this guy so much image

• Don't know a thing about motor sport but that was a real tragedy. RIP.
  • Morning All!  Its quiet in here today.

Did anyone get out yesterday or are we all recovering from the weekends exertions!

Didn't know you were a Moto GP fan Booey.  I have a good friend who races bikes - not at that level but quite seriously. 

One of the guys in the office showed me this - the final lap of the final race of this years championship. Truely amazing stuff.  You may well have been at this race but its worth watching again anyway.  The commentary is classic.

http://www.wimp.com/superbikerace/

• I did get out for a very little run yesterday but it wasn't feeling good at all so I cut it short and headed home. I decided it's probably better that I went out at all even if it wasn't a full run. Did you get out Silver?

I'm off for a cardiac review today for a heart defect diagnosed at the end of my pregnancy. It caused me no end of trouble at the time but I'm feeling better now.

• Silver - yeah we love  MotoGP especially  love Rossi, him and Simoncelli were the characters of it, such a sad sad loss image

Not into Superbikes as much, watched the footage and what a race in the last lap.  Will watch again with sound when I get chance image

Didn't run y/day was rest day.  My knees were hurting when I was in bed last night but seem ok today image must be being in the same position for to long image  my knees do suffer now and gain does anyone elses?

Mal - hey a little run is better than nothing and we all have days when it doesn't feel great so don't be hard on yourself image 

Hope all goes well with your cardiac review

Club run tonight with DRR image then a meeting afterwards

• Sorry been busy this am. I know you miss me imageimage haha
  • Blimey Mal that sounds serious.  Are you ok to be running this much?

Good you got out again after your race but take it easy and remember to listen to your body if you feel aches and pains!

I'm off out with the running club this evening so should be a 5-7 miler again.  Can't wait its so much more motivating running with other peeps and I'm somewhere in the middle ability wise.

Hope the visit to the docs is ok.

• Here is a pic of me about to finish the Northampton 11 5K, at least you get an idea of what I look like image I think my eyes are shut and I am catching flys, I am looking totally gormless haha thank god its not a face close up image

The thing that tickled me the most is the photographer took 2 or 3 pics with my hubby directly in the shot (blue tshirt and sunnies) how unlikely is that image

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/657705/Gallery/Run11.jpg

• Hope you enoy the running clubs tonight Booey and Silver. Well done on the motivation to go. Do you find it easy to keep up with the rest of the runners?

I'm sure the cardiac review will be fine, I'm not experiencing any of the symptoms which led to the diagnosis even when I'm running. I let my GP know what I was up to and nobody seems concerned yet.

• We do miss you Boo - you are setting the standards in this thread so we look up to you!

That and you're the oldest one here tee hee!!image

• Like the photo Boo - its a great action shot and at last we can put a face to the name. image

Coincidence about your hubby being in the background too.  We had a similar thing with my wife being in the background when they photographed my son at a tournament.  She had her hoodie up and sunglasses on so we didn't realise she was even in the picture until about a week later.

Can't wait to do a real race so I can get a photo like that just to prove to everyone (and myself!) that I really can run!  image

• Hi all,

Hope the Cardiac review is okay Mal, scary stuff that.

Nice photo Booey, I know I am sad but I straight away spotted that the young girl next to your husband is wearing a quality shirt, I really do need to get a life!

Hope the club runs go well for both of you, I'm still too chicken to get in touch with my local club so am off out on my todd after work

Anyway since you started it Booey here is a photo of me from my race the other week :-

/members/images/675403/Gallery/Me_running_0.jpg

• Stripes that pic is soooo good image I love the fact it has caught you actually off the ground, thats a fantastic action shot image

You will be fine joining a club believe me, you are quicker than all of us on here so you will fit in no probs......go for it image

• Great picture Stripes you really look like you are going for it. 

Was that near the end or at the beginning?

The club thing is nothing to worry about as Im sure there will be people faster and slower than you so you'll fit in somewhere.  Booey is right too you are the fastest one on here so don't be afraid.

I think it would be full of real athletes but there are all types there so its not reall that daunting. 

Which would be your local club?  

• Correctionimage

I thought it would be full of real athletes but there are all types there so its not really that daunting.

• Ha ha, thanks Booey, you should see the others. There is one where I look like I have completely stopped image

Not sure about being quicker, think that we will all be aiming for similar half marathon times next spring.

Am still not confident enough to join a club thing yet, never been great at meeting  new people and still find lots of my runs are a struggle. Was hoping to get into a conversation with one of the club runners after the race the other week but they had all gone home by the time I finished image

I am gonna take your advice though on the extra day. Gonna up it to four days this week. Think the fourth session needs to be something different though. Am currently doing two medium runs midweek and the long run which expands each weekend so may try a very basic speedwork session on the treadmill tomorrow. The information I have found on this site is incredible. Didn't know what speedwork was a month ago image

When is your next race? I can't wait to do another one.

• Silvertop wrote (see)

We do miss you Boo - you are setting the standards in this thread so we look up to you!

That and you're the oldest one here tee hee!!image

Cheeky image

I nearly missed that image

• Thanks Silver,

It was near the end, I could see the finish line ahead and was jumping for joy, thats why I'm off the ground image

There are two clubs in Tamworth. The local athletics club actually had an athlete, Nathan Woodward, who reached the semi's of the 400m Hurdles at the World Champs this year, he is only young as well. However I am not sure if they would be any good for me as I think they are mainly a track club. There is also a club called the Peel Road Runners who do exactly what it says on the tin, so they would be the one to look at I think.

• Stripes I am following this schedule

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice2.html

obviously you cant stick to these things religiously, like changing rest days around and exact distance, but on the whole its going ok, have a look at it

Am waiting until I get my affiliation card before I register for any races as its slightly cheaper to enter, although not all races recognise it anyhow image have a look at my bookmarks, there the possibles

• So don't any of you fancy coming and doing the Silverstone HM with me image  round the race track in the cold image haha - 11th March
  • Thanks Booey, will study that this evening.

Would love to but have entered Brighton on 19th February and a mate has asked me to do Liverpool on 18th March, think three in four weeks would finish me off image

We will all have to find a race that suits next Summer/Autumn and aim for it.