Great South Run 2011

Comments

• I'm in white too, but as I will be taking it slow due to recovering knee, I will be skulking at the back so I don't get trampled.  I applied before I knew I'd need the knee op! I have made a little sign for my back to say 'running in new knee, please pass' so you might spot me!

Yes, must make mental note to charge Garmin, ipod etc too.  Getting excited now image

• OMG woke up this morning with sore throat, sniffles and headache!!!!!!! image
  • Oh no, quick get some echinacea in you, you might be able to fight it off!  image
  • Oh dear image, LOTS of drugs see if you can zap it
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I went to the doctors yesterday. I've just a got a virus and low blood pressure.... she's told me that i'm only allowed to run the race on sunday if I can stand up without being light headed... :/
  • Off to chemist on way to work, paracetamol / echinacea & whatever else I can persuad them to let me have.

Hope you feel better by Sunday Emma, but take the doc's advice if you don't feel right.
  • Sorry to hear that Emma, hope you feel better image
  • There must be virus's going around alot at the moment, I managed to pull a quad muscle slipping on the wet floor at work , which means I wont have done a run for a week come sunday, lots of deep heat!

• Nearly there now. Had a lovely run this morning along the coastal path at Dover. Not a quick run because it was hilly and I stopped a few times to take pictures. Sorry to hear of the injuries / bugs. Hopefully it won't stop anyone from completing the run.
  • Feel sorry for those of you with the cold thingie. I think mine has just about passed now, though I'm still coughing like a dog first thing in the morning. A gentle run tomorrow morning for me to just stretch my legs and then............. zzzzzz

Now getting a lift with a friend as hubbie is too unwell to manage to sit in the car for any length of time. Have done that mobile phone thingie they sent the email round about, so that at least he will know that I have finished!!!

I'm in white as well, so will keep an eye out for you Miss Slow and Jelleybaby. I'm running for our local music festival.

Treat day tomorrow - going to get my new winter wetsuit! hopefully that will take my mind off Sunday. Not going to try it out until afterwards though as the last thing I need is another surfers knee

Hope everyone makes it.
  • when is everyone doing their last run and how long?
  • Hi everyone - I did my last run today - 4 miles and then a gym session tomorrow.

Do come and say hi to me anyone in white wave - I'll be all alone and lost    image albeit excited as well.

Help though please from people - what do I wear to keep warm once I've dropped my bag off in the luggage area? Just an old top that I discard once I run or a bin liner ? I'm wearing the banana army charity T shirt whilst running but get cold very quickly when I'm standing still! Not too keen on using up loads of energy before I start just to keep warm.......

Hope all of you with colds/injuries are doing ok.

Yikes - I'm packing tomorrow sooooo excited!!!!!! image

• so, lets work out a way to recognise each other. I shall have a black t-shirt with Southampton Festival on the back. I'm 5'5 with waist length blondish brown hair

I'm going to bin liner it as I cant bear wasting clothing.
  • Just done my final 5k, think I'll bin liner too , forecast has changed to rain - booo image
  • Anybody numberless and wanting to run ?

PM me image

• I finally (after 2 years of trying) went along to my running club this evening and we did 8 x 400m with core work after each rep. Was hard running, harder than I expected, so I may shorten Saturday's run to a gentle 3 miles and that'll be it. Sports massage tomorrow though!!!

Hey Emmy, hope the virus clears up, plenty of rest, water, echinacea etc, take it steady. Same goes for others with the lurgy!

Great to hear that your number finally arrived jelly! Hopefully you might all pop along to the Alton stand for 10am as I'll be there!

Buzzing for it now!!
  • I'm staying in Southampton so will be getting the train to Portsmouth/Southsea in the morning, hobbling round then the important bit, WHICH BOOZER ?
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hiya all,

@Jelley - I use a bin bag given by another run.... it's a green "runnerspoint" one.

My mum's trying to convince me not to run as she's worried about me..... but I feel ok today - so cannot complain. I'll be on the startline.

I've got red hair, will be wearing the bin bag until i take it off to show the bright pink tanktop.

• Just done my last run, a gentle 4k to wake myself up this morning and to clear my lungs - ouch!!!

shall try to make the Alton stand, but if not I shall just be staring at anyone in a binbag wondering
  • Decided to go for the bin bag option but with a very old top underneath to throw away at the start - decent clothes left behind go to charity (don't think they'll want this one though!).

Underneath is my bright yellow Leukaemia and Lymphoma t shirt and I'll probably be wearing a pony tail and beige cap (tyring to find a Jersey badge to put on it!! very sad I know but past caring now) black bottoms. Oh yes and my 'proper' name is Jemma!

I'll try and get to the Alton stand - got to drop bag off first though. There's a train from Fareham at 8.52 to the Harbour at 9.17 that should be enough time to walk to the area do you think???

Shelagh  sorry your husband isn't well enough to come and watch - perhaps you should wear something really bright and he can watch on TV and try and spot you!

Emmy-bug do hope you are ok to run? Take care today and rest as much as you can........

Bit hyper today - packing being done!!!!!

•   Hi Andy S. I'm hobbling round too. Will try and go under 1:20. As you say, now the important bit....Which pub..? Well my favorite for a couple of pints of proper beer is the Hole In The Wall in Great Southsea Street. Always full of runners afterwards too...
  • Jelleybaby wrote (see)

I'll try and get to the Alton stand - got to drop bag off first though. There's a train from Fareham at 8.52 to the Harbour at 9.17 that should be enough time to walk to the area do you think??

that will be plenty of time Jellybaby

Fratton will actually be a slightly shorter walk - but walking from the harbour will be a much more pleasant walk - and you'll get some of the buzz around the event walking from that direction image

• I will be taking my 5 year old saturday to do the mini great south run,

I have tattoo's (lots) on both arms so that makes me easy to spot!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

We're travelling from Woking so i'm trying to work out which train is best. I know this may have been asked before - which station is best? Portsmouth and Southsea? or?

I'm going to rest today and see how I get on. I feel OK, just a little unsteady!

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

hey all I did my only run of tehweek last night, five miles.  Feel ok but need lots of stretches

here's a smiley pic to make us all feel smiley

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/39759/Gallery/cleo_smiley.jpg

my granddaughter Cleo, lovely bubba! I will have her smile in my head all the way round on sunday

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Hi!

The GSR will be my first ever race and i need some advice...

What are the essentials i need to bring?! do you take sweets for the way round? do you take your own water bottles or just use the ones they provide?  do you wear running wind and waterproof jackets or does it get really hot?

i'd just like some advice really im very nervous! I also have a terrible cough and cold, not been able to train all week image rubbish!

Thanks image 

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

normally I would have a blue and white club vest with my name on it, but I will be i a bright yellow vest with child bereavement on it, my charity I am running for.

Emmy I will look out for bright red hair and come say hi if I see you

jelly whoopee your number came!

What is the alton tower and are people meeting there?

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    hi Samantha , personally I don't carry anything, I just have their water and don't need sweets, but everyone is different. I may do the bin liner thing like others and discard it when I get going or just not bother, not sure.  Anyway good luck you will be fine I am sure!
  • Emmy_bug wrote (see)

Hi everyone,

We're travelling from Woking so i'm trying to work out which train is best. I know this may have been asked before - which station is best? Portsmouth and Southsea? or?

I'm going to rest today and see how I get on. I feel OK, just a little unsteady!

there are 3 stations you can use - Fratton's the closest but Portsmouth harbour is probably a nicest and easiest (in term of directions) walk

there was a map in your pack showing the directions from all three stations

• Hi Samantha,

I'll probably take on a gel pack to avoid the Powerade stand, it's not essential, but I might not get fuelled again until a while after the race.

I suggest eating a gram of porridge per kg of body weight 2 1/2-3 hours before you intend to warm up. That is enough for 90 minutes of energy. Stay well hydrated, but not overly so - take on your last water an hour before the off so you do not need a pee while waiting for the gun!!! image

It wont be overly hot so you should not dehydrate but you can always pick off water at the stations. Personally I'll miss the first one I'd expect and get some at the second. You'll be fine though I'm sure, the main thing is to soak up the atmos and enjoy it.

Hey Emmy - I'd still be going for Portsmouth Harbour station, We could all meet there at 9:30 if you like and take a wonder round as I know my way lol. Could incorporate Jelly that way too!

Hi Wado, its not Alton Towers - Alton Sports have a stand there, I'm going over to see an old work colleague so just suggested it as a place to meet, its as good as anywhere really....... and you might get a deal on some clothing too!!