Liverpool Half Marathon 2012

I see entries have opened for the Liverpool Half Marathon. I expect big things from this event and hopefully a new start and finish area at the Pier Head and a technical T shirt will help!

UKA affiliation (applied for) as well!

Comments

• Just spotted that entries are now open so mine's going to be in the post tomorrow, yay!!!!!!!

Of course, the technical T shirt swayed it for me......!!!image

• I'm all entered very much looking forward to this!!! xx
  • Ill defo be entering, this will be my first attempt at a half marathon.
  • Def. be doing this with a couple of workmates.

• I'm in, whoo hoo can't wait. Just have the small problem of trying to get a bit quicker!

• This was my first half last year and I loved it, a few of my friends will be doing it again but I'm out with it being mothers day as well. I'll have to hope my wife is nice and tells me to go ahead and do it anyway.
  • Entries going well! First 200 have gone overnight so things are looking good from the off.
  • Put me and Mrs Warkie down,we both did it last year and I intend to get under 2 hours this time ..I take it long way up to sefton park and back down ottespool again ?image
  • Ooh - a shiny, new Liverpool HM thread! This has finally convinced me to stop lurking in the shadows and post on the Forum.

All signed up.  Missed this years, due to hamstring going 3 weeks before, but 2010 was a great (if slightly windy!) race - and I feel so much more confident knowing Upper Parliament Mountain will kick in around mile 2 and not mile 16 image

• Warkie - the course will be the same as last year apart from the possibility of moving the start / finish to the Pier Head. The open space at the Arena is too small.

Flame - welcome on board!
  • Welcome Flame, and if ti's the same as last year, you don't run all the way up Upper Parliment St as you join it half way up if my memory is correct?

I'll definately be doing this asthis years was my first ever race over any distance and I'll start training specifically for this soon so I can smash my pb image

• Cheers Alan great place to finish ....image

Will be looking to get under 2 hours this time as my Marathon was ruined by injury 

• Thanks for the Welcomes!

Aah yes, I forgot that we turned left from the Start and did a bit of a detour.  So - only half of Parliament St  it is then - even better image and maybe a Pier Head finish as well... can't be bad!

• I think will enter once I get paid at the start of november, hope to get my pb down from 91 minutes to around 85 this year so will need to train quite hard to improve. Looking forward to it
  • Im in.

This will be my 3rd year on the trot!

Bit of a bugger it being mothers day as well..........I gotta sweat talk the wife now (never never easy at the best of times)
  • Entries going well. First 750 taken up so well on schedule to beat 2010 entries at 7,500 with five months to go! I hope the new the new online system is working well. The system we had in place this year was problematic to say the least. I am assured the new system is a big improvement!
  • Just noticed the spelling mistake in my post before this 'sweat instead of sweet'.  Havfnt changed it because sweat is something that went along with sweet talking her image .  Anyway job done!!

Now staying at Crowne Plaza and the wife and daughter are coming with me (they dont normaly, and i normally stay in a flea pit of a hotel) and the wife has my credit card for as long as it takes me to run the 13.1 mile........ its been 2hrs so many seconds the last two years.

Shes made up!!  But its going to cost me a small fortune!!

• Barney Wales wrote (see)

Just noticed the spelling mistake in my post before this 'sweat instead of sweet'.  Havfnt changed it because sweat is something that went along with sweet talking her image .  Anyway job done!!

Now staying at Crowne Plaza and the wife and daughter are coming with me (they dont normaly, and i normally stay in a flea pit of a hotel) and the wife has my credit card for as long as it takes me to run the 13.1 mile........ its been 2hrs so many seconds the last two years.

Shes made up!!  But its going to cost me a small fortune!!

Nice one Barney, although a lot of spending can be done in two hours, but I do like your training motivation, getting quicker to save you money, I might try that one myself!
  • Just a quick thank you for those who have posted the reassuring and positive comments about the marathon on the rating section - with one notable exception. It seems I've started and created a 'cult' following... at least I think that's what was said.

I'll be sending out an email prompt next week about coaching groups sessions (managed by Richard Othen and iMarathon Training for the half marathon so if anyone is looking to improve then I would suggest that is a good way to do it.

Santa Dash is picking up significantly as well. Here comes Christmas! Shall we have a social gathering??

• A social gathering always sounds good to me. I may even have a go at the Santa Dash this year.
  • I'll be entering this one, for some reason I thought it went through the tunnel!, so will have to enter the tunnel 10k as that def does image.

Santa dash looks a laugh, think the other half is doing it.

• Looking forward to this one

. I did it for the first time this year and loved  it. The atmosphere and support was fantastic, it was my first Half, loved so much I thought I should run a marathon so I ran the Chester marathon, which was closer to home than Liverpool!!.

See you all in March..imageimage

• If anyone's interested in the iMarathon Training sessions that Alan's mentioned - I went to a couple for the Marathon (as a 26-mile newbie!) and they were really useful. Practical, and enough of the 'science bit' to help understand why training schedules are structured as they are. I learned a lot - and that was without going to the training runs. Certainly recommend them if you're looking to get a good interactive session.

• I've also just done my rating for the Marathon (eventually!).

Does that mean I'm allowed out on the social gathering (it was a positive rating!)  image

• Flame......

What about these Imarathon sessions?  Will i find the info on the runliverpool web site?

(should look before asking really image )

• A couple of questions from a Cumbrian.

Is it a fast / pb course ?

Do you run through a bottleneck around mile 8 and is it a problem ?

I would love to run this in 2012. I wanted to do it this year and incorporate it into my EMF training but it fell on my daughters birthday.

Has anyone here done the Cumbrian Run Half ? If so how does it compare ?

I hope you talk (type) me into itimage

• One20Four wrote (see)

A couple of questions from a Cumbrian.

Is it a fast / pb course ?

Do you run through a bottleneck around mile 8 and is it a problem ?

I would love to run this in 2012. I wanted to do it this year and incorporate it into my EMF training but it fell on my daughters birthday.

Has anyone here done the Cumbrian Run Half ? If so how does it compare ?

I hope you talk (type) me into itimage

No bottleneck that ive ever noticed!!! P.B course for me 1:31..imageas long as the wind is'nt too bad for the last few miles along the waterfront!!
  • Barney

I think it used to be a direct link on the marathon page of the RL website - but I can't see it now. Makes sense, as all the dates would be gone anyway.

If you select RLM from the Events tab at the top of the home page, then the Friends of the Marathon link on the left,  you get a link to iMarathon in the middle of the top line. That tells you a bit about what they offer.

I'm sure when they're set up for the Half, they'll be flagged image 

• Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

I set a new PB for last year's Liverpool Half (1:51) - took seven minutes off my previous best.

The underpass (just after 8m) wasn't a bottle neck for me last year.  It's obviously narrower than being in the open (eg the parks or sea front) but no problems (for me) getting through without slowing down.

I'm very keen to return this year - a pier head start / finish would be ace.

• Flame..

Cheers, will have a look

One20Four

No bottle neck 'really' the bit i think your on about has been mentioned......the underpass/subway bit.  Having done this event 2 years on the trot thats the only bit i can think of, i suppose its a comfy 3 abreast runners going into it and through it, its only 100yards at the most i think.its nothing to worry about anyway!

As for PB....deffo theres a longish incline a few miles in but honestly its nothing.  The only thing i think/worry a bit about is when you get back running along the river again, think its about 10-11 mile-ish.  If the wind is with you then great, if its not (it wasnt in my 1st year doing it) and your running head on into it.......its a long/hard final 3 mile back!!

Great event though.........Will do this one every year possible!  Support etc is very good.  You may even get Allan calling your name and number as you aproach the finishing line (1st year i did).

I think something needs to be done about handing out the goody bag though.  It was mentioned in last years thread.  To many peaple take more than one bag!!  Why ??  Abloke collecting his in front of me last year went all the way down the line collecting them of every other person handing them out!!  And then you get some who take a little longer to run it getting there and there was none left!!  STUPID!

I dont no what the answer is to this...