Options

Brass monkey half marathon

Comments

• Options

I'm in, It has opened early. 

• Options
    I'm in 648 entries now
  • Options

I checked back at 11.20  and it was full then! 

I checked last night at about 10pm,  there were 4 entries on the list but it wasnt accepting any as it wasnt open so I dont know how the first 4 got in.  Anyway I got my place and  I text some friends from the club early and they managed to get in as well. 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'm miles away in the south, but what's the clamour for this race, that it sells out in 11 hours!?

I mean, we have Wokingham and Reading in the south (2,750, and 18,000 places respectively) that always sell out, but over a few weeks.,.

what makes BM special then?

• Options

Stevie - Its a complete mystery.

Is it the only half marathon around? Nope!

Is it the only flat race around? Nope!

Is it the only flat half marathon around? Nope!

It seems on the face of it that the only attraction to a lot of people is that it sells out quickly - so it must be worth clamouring for an entry?

• Options
    The main attraction is a flat half marathon in January. There are precious few flat Halves in Yorkshire, but especially at that time of year.

As a consequence of the above, many local clubs use it in their championships. I am a Southern exile, and observe a noticably bigger club scene in Yorkshire than back home in the South.

A certain lemmings effect; "its popular, I must enter it..."

And you get a Yorkie bar at the end!
  • Options

If I didnt live so close I wouldnt travel  to do it but it's only 30 miles away for me so no overnight hotels etc and nothing else within that distance in the first 4 months of next year.  I would do it even if it wasnt flat as it gives me a goal for the colder months. Knowing I was doing this kept me running through the snow last year! 

• Options
    I live in York and have entered this before and can't understand why people would want to travel long distances for this race. It is incredibly dull, I think I fell asleep during the race as there are parts I can't remember. The organisation is good and it is well marshalled (an easy job due to the route). I cant understand why they use the route they do, it doesn't take in any of the wonderful sights of York or any of the great routes by the river etc. It is obviously cheaper than closing roads in the city which makes £22 to enter this seem a bit steep to me - most of this must go on using the facilities of the race course. Apart from near the time of the run, you never see any runners use the route of the race, which to me says it all. It attracts PB hunters and is the only half marathon near York, other than the far superior Yorkshire Wolds Half in the summer (15 miles away). I think we need another half marathon in York that is more scenic, perhaps the knavesmire harriers could organise that too as they do a good job with all that sort of stuff. I do appreciate that these runs take a lot of effort to put on.
    Good luck all those that have entered.
  • Options

Im flying over from Guernsey to do the race.... and did the same last year! (finished 7th)

Im all about fast course and PBs. And You'll struggle to find a course that quick at that time of year.

Its also stacked full of runners between 70 -80 mins which is useful for fast times.

I couldnt fault it last year, and hope its the same again this year.

• Options

I agree with No more nails, it would be far more interesting if the route went through the historic citry centre.

They would need the help of the council, but take Hull as an example, they have just got the council  to let a local club  run a marathon through the city of Hull.

• Options
    Hi again Minni I'm running for first time, want 1:37'sh.........
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

OT.. I'm old enough to have run the 'Yorkie' half marathon back in the early 90's.  That one covered quite a bit of the city centre including the main shopping avenue 'Coney Street'.  At one point I thought we were going to be directed through British Home Stores!  This one finished very close to the BM finish actually but from the opposite direction.  In the end the organisers found it to be just too much hassle and called it a day.

On a general note it is usually easier to get an event put on in a city centre or prime site if there is a charity involved.  My club help with the Bramham Park CRUK run every October which is a 5k & 10k race.  We help with course measurement, results, marshalls, marking the course, building the finishes etc.  However I don't think Bramham Park would let our club organise a race directly, CRUK are the people who get the permission.    

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Hey Smifffie see you there!  I'll be aiming for around 1.30 - 1.31 image  Get there early - last year it was chaos in the registration area. 
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Stop it! 

and we're still waiting for you over on the marathon thread. image

• Options
    I've tried to find, but couldn't follow linky thing doh image
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
  • Options

Thanks Minni, next to try to juggle some 'proper training' time, i.e. ex OH to have both kids so I can run image

Speed is OK and trundled round 9 miles with Spud (dog) on Wednesday night so this half will be fine, but London & Edinburgh will require some decent LSR's as I'm fed up with surviving marathons instead of enjoying....

What time'sh is 'early' for Brass Monkey, is it collect numbers on the day?

Off to find calander to mark off weeks to races to focus my brain image

• Options
    Seems like legs are remembering LSR's OK 14 miles LSR last Saturday, and 15.7 this Saturday and I wasn't a gibbering wreck at end image  Theres hope afterall image
  • Options
    As you all may have seen I have recently put on a new half marathon called the inskip half and it is on the same day as BM and helsby. It is a good fast course and if you go to the post on this forum you can get the garmin data and see for yourself hope to see those who didnt get in to the other races on the 22nd of jan cheers Alan T and this one is only 12 quid.image
  • Options
    i can no longer run if any one needs a place in this
  • Options
    Mikeyboy... Which race can you no longer do...?
    I'm looking for a place into helsby if there's one up for grabs.

Please let me know asap. Much appreciated
  • Options

My number is available if anyone is after it, please message me

cheers

wtgy

• Options

Same as above, message me if you want my number and ill post it out.

cheers

• Options
    And me.. Injury has struck so I have an entry available too.. PM me for details.
  • Options

hi I'm looking for a number if anyone can not use theirs.

• Options

My results are missing, was really pleased, now image

• Options
    image My result is also missing Smiffie, I'm 99.9% sure I ran this morning....
  • Options
    Oh yes, sort of remember wind hitting at mile 6 image