Mens Compression Tights - what to wear?

Hi,

I am considerign buying some compression tights - i run middle distance (half marathons) 3 - 4 times a year and find compression tops seem to help with breathing and general recovery.

Do any of you guys wear compression tights whilst running or do you wear them after - what about shorts / underwear?

Any help appreciated!

Many thanks

Neil

Comments

• Hi.

I own a pair of Linebreaks which I wear as recovery tights after half marathons and any longer training runs and I wore a pair of skins during the first part of an ultra earlier in the year.

As to their effectives, i'm not sure if they are beneficial or not as it's a bit like taking a tablet for a headache; you never know if the tablet has made the headache go away or it just disappeared by itself.

I don't wear anything under them or over them.  Personally shorts over compression shorts or tights look a it odd but each to their own. 

Mick
  • Ok I can see the idea behind compression tights - but how would a compression top help you ? Extra resistance as you breathe - wouldn't that hinder you ?

• Hi, yeah, they are supposed to reduce muscle vibration and soreness and assist in compressing the chest which helps regulate breathing - this should be mean less time in recovery.

I've used Nike tops that compress and they seem to increase my ability to run for longer and feel less fatigued afterwards - i've tried wearing these on different days / lengths of run and the results do seem to bear out that the compression does help.

N

• I wore a skins short sleeve a few weeks ago at kielder under my club vest, mainly to add a touch of warmth but It did change my upper body posture slightly for the better.  Just a shame I haven't got decent sized guns to go under the skins tops.
  • Make sure you wear underwear with compression tights, I didn't last weekend on a half marathon and they slowly ride down a little, which means you get plenty of space for "movement" which results in blue balls, but also increases chafing, I was so raw that night, red and blue haha, walking like I'd shat myself. It's not attractive lol.
  • blue balls....nice.  I've never suffered from that to be honest. 

I wear lyrca shorts (cycling short styley) all of the time to run in which fit like compression and they keep things secure and movement free.
  • @ Marc, JESUS!! I can't begin to imagine your pain - will take note!

@ Mick, thanks for your help, think i'll consider the cycle short route, Cheers!

• Another vote for short compression tights. I find they help with a groin problem I've had, and also they are good at keeping all the "bits" in place.
  • Yeah - made the mistake of running "tights" without any suitable running underwear - was a bit "jiggly"...

Brian.
  • Bought some Skins recovery tights and used them twice, once after 80 mile cycle and once after 5 mile tempo run. Defiantly felt they helped, legs not at all sore the next day.

I'm doing a long (for me) 10 mile run on Saturday and will compare how legs feel Sunday after using Skins to how they flt without 2 weeks ago.

It may be placeo but I felt better.
  • I wear Skins compression shorts and have found them to work really well - before wearing them I always suffered from cramp in my legs in the latter stages of marathons and often on longer runs, but since wearing them I haven't cramped up once.

• Have been experimenting with compression tops while exercising recently and for me the jury is out.

Already sold on the benefits of the tights particularly after exercise (100 miles on 3 consecutive days on a bike).

On the top front it does feel harder to breath deeply - makes sense as the expansion of my chest is being resisted by the top.  Am wondering if I train with this on then race without whether breathing will suddenly feel easier...

• I've bought some compression tights which I will use after the Edingburgh marathon! Hopefully I'll be able to cope and that it will help me with the dreadful 5 hour drive back to Nottinghamshire!!!!!
  • I always wear my Skins A200 long tights during exercise rather than after. For one thing they are supposed to improve performance (hard to tell really) but also I can't really be bothered to change into them as soon as I finish.

Personally I wear them under baggy shorts. I haven't personally got anything against just tights but at my club it's just not the done thing.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I did wear something like this a few years back but as I ran past a guy and his girlfriend I was still within hearing distance when I heard,'F me, look at the arse on that  c..t'. Indeed, I don't possess the arse to get away with wearing such items in civilised company.

🙂

• I wear 2XU tights. I find the fabric nicer than skins, and for me the sizing is better. If you are worried about your behind, they do some under-over shorts for men now (compression shorts under, baggy shorts over), which are as cheap standard compression shorts. Just wish they had them for women, but my training partner loves them! Maybe next year!

• I have just moved from Nike Dry-fit (lycra) to Skins A200.  Like the feel of the Skins more, but are you meant to waer shorts over the top?  I prefer not to.

• Skins tights give good compression but the 2XU thermal compression tights are fleecier and therefore warmer.  Although I think the Skins give better compression, unlike the 2XU tights, they don't have a key pocket.

• I love the 2xu tights, I wear them with no underwear but with shorts over the top. I have skins tights aswell but prefer the 2xu as soon as I got the sizing right . I wear the tights for running and cycling then wear my other skins recovery tights purely for recovery. Wearing 2xu & skins to train in then skins recovery afterwards my legs do feel better whether it's the tights or in the mind I don't know . I find the skins and 2XU equally as good as each other.
  • Hello all.. Sorry this is a bit of a late post but came here through google after a search.. Anyway I am currently using Skins a200 compression tights and i think they are great. However I get the same problem mentioned above, that of the tights slipping down below my waist. At the moment I am using a rope to tie around the waist like a drawstring, but wondered if there are any other solutions or whether I need a smaller size. I am 6.1 and the sizing chart does not cater for males above 6 foot. However I wondered whether it may be the issue of the waist being to loose and not the height issue.

Any advise would be great?

thanks

• Hi Patrick.  I have just had the same problem wearing Skins a200 compression tights.  I have only worn and washed them twice (as per their instructions of washing at 30 degrees) but already they have stretched at the waist and now keep slipping down when I start out running.  I purchased the correct size based on their sizing chart.

It was my first experience running with Skins and the initial run was brilliant.  They fitted well and did not slip down. Less fatigue in the calfs and skins and quicker recovery afterwards.  However, I am now concerned about how long they last as I have only had them a month and been out with them twice and, as they have already stretched, that is now putting me off them.

Thanks.

• Hi there.. First of all apoligise in this message for any incorrert i am typing from my phone.. Out of interest how tall are you i am 6.1 and the sizing chart seems not to cater for this height.. My problem to be appears exactly the same as yours i decided to go for a smaller size and although they still shim down a bit they are better.. Between that anr the rope i think they are still worth it.. Although they do stretch.. I tried to contact skins about this and they wanted me to send them off.. As i have marathons coming up i couldnt do this.. But it might be worth talking to them and sending yours off.. Cheers
  • I am also 6.1 and the sizing chart I have seen goes up to 6.5.  The problem I have is that my weight is on the upper end of the medium scale.  So it was either a large or a medium and I was told to get the smaller medium size so I get the full effect of the compression.

They started off fine but stretched after two uses which I don't think is normal.  I have read other posts complaining about bad stitching which could cause them to stretch quicker if they are not stitched properly.

Thankfully, the company where they were bought from has agreed to take them back but it has kinda put me off wearing them.  I don't want to risk buying the large size coz I think they will be too large for me.  Large goes up to 100kg and I am no way near that.  My scales put me on 80kg.