TriUK Ex Hire Wetsuits

ToroToro ✭✭✭

Is this offer (£50) a year round offer or do they ever run out (pre-season)?

Having completed my first tri in a £15 Tesco wetsuit I am thinking about splashing the cash and upgrading. image

Comments

• The stock will run out.

Buying a websuit without swimming in it first is a risk. It's like buying a pair of running shoes without going for a run in them.  It works for some people but not others. 

• Are they any good? Anyone used them or bought ex - hire wetsuit from tri uk?

• ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Little Ninja - i didn't know you could try before you buy! I thought they were like underwear... non-returnable!
  • If you buy from an o/w place or a shop that has an endless pool, you can try before you buy. 
  • I bought mine from Tri UK the year before last. Fortunately their my local tri store so I was able to go in and try one on to confirm the fit. Didn't get to swim in it though.
    I can't remember what they were charging for hire but if you don't want to keep it then you send it back and get your £50 deposit back. I decided I'd hang onto mine so forfeited the deposit.
    The wetsuits are pretty basic, I've got a Foor suit, but do the job if your starting out with Open Water races.

I would say that if you are heavily into open water swimming then it would be worth visiting a shop and trying on a suit in an endless pool if you have a chance.  

• ToroToro ✭✭✭
    I will bear that in mind.  TriUK is fairly close to me (Plymouth) and I am just looking for a basic wetsuit as I am a useless swimmer (Last out the water - 750m ow swim - but finished mid pack)!  I am going to devote my energies (money) on swim coaching to get me to a mediocre level then worry about kit.
  • Tri Uk do have an endless pool - I did get to try mine before I bought however not having any experience of wearing a wetsuit I wasnt really sure what it was meant to feel like!!

I bought one of the Foor Quantum 1 suits a couple of years ago and ended up replacing it fairly quickly as its durability was seriously questionable.

My other half had one of the cheaper hire suits and it lasted a bit better but he replaced his this year and apparently wouldnt go back after trying other suits. He is also a lot quicker in his new suit but this may be because it has cheat features (catch panels etc)  !! image

To be fair the hire deal they do is very good, however if you think you are going to get seriously into the OW swimming thing then it may be worth trying a few more suits on first.

• Had my wetsuit from them when I started a few years ago..........gave them my measuremensts and then they helped me get the best fit...........I have been using it for the last 4 seasons and even though my weight fluctuates by over a stone it still seems to work fine

anything would be better than the surf wetsuit thing from tesco

• Toro wrote (see)
    I will bear that in mind.  TriUK is fairly close to me (Plymouth) and I am just looking for a basic wetsuit as I am a useless swimmer (Last out the water - 750m ow swim - but finished mid pack)!  I am going to devote my energies (money) on swim coaching to get me to a mediocre level then worry about kit.
    I'm a proper back of the pack crap swimmer, which is another reason I'm glad to have a wetsuit that suits me. The first one didn't and it was the last thing I needed. I felt like I was swimming in treacle.  Swim coaching is still a great use of funds though.
  • I bought an ex-hire Foor Classic from TriUK, though I did visit the shop and they sized me up. All good, in fact, for the price, great.

And the previous owner looked after it a lot better than I have

• My first wetsuit was an ex-hire Foor from TRIuk. I gave them my measurements and they sent a suit which fitted fine for my needs. It cost me £50 and I sold it on ebay a couple of years later for £80 when I upgraded. Having said that if you are close enough, I'd go and try one on if you can.
  • Another TriUk hire customer here. 1st season, so think it cost £100 in total, with £50 being a deposit.

Certain there are better wetsuits out there, but did me just fine for my 1st season and should be using it next year as well.

Didn't send to suit back, so just lost my £50 deposit. Again like others just phoned up with my measurements and received the wetsuit the next day.
  • I had my first one from TriUK ex hire.  It is still going strong now and has been lent to many people!  It was £50 and for a first one was a bargain.  I had it a few years and upgraded it to one more suitable for my swimming.

I was fitted for it in person which I think helped.  That said it has never failed to fit anyone - from tall to small.

• Cat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

I bought an ex-hire Foor Classic from TriUK, though I did visit the shop and they sized me up. All good, in fact, for the price, great.

And the previous owner looked after it a lot better than I have

You mean your wearing someone else's pee.............image

• I meant cuts and dinks from putting it on. I had to black witch after a week!

But no, the pee is all mine now.