Gosport Half-Marathon

Who's in for this year?

Will be my third ever half and the third time I have done gosport

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

did it last year!  Was a nice day out with a 180mile round trip!

Hope you are lucky like me last year with the race being in good conditions, the week before snow started to disrupt everything!

• Thats a long round trip to come, you must have enjoyed it, do you always travel far?

I dont mind driving up to an hour for a race

Hope it does not snow this year!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

There seem to be some really fast courses down on the south coast, so I make a special trip to a race down there say once a year. Last year it was Gosport, and this year it was Victory 5 in Portsmouth.

Makes it quite a special trip, but I must say it was probably an easier mission this year for a 5miler, than last year's half!

Probably 1hr 20-1.30 job over from south Bucks....good job both races had a decent start time, not 9am or something ridiculous.

And we all hope there's no snow this year! Although personally all my races Nov to early Feb will be XC which isn't a disaster if they get called off.

• Im in again, also doing Portsmouth Coastal Marathon month after.

Im more ready this year than last so looking to finish while still running
  • Mark,

Did you have an injury last year?

I am hoping to knock a couple of minutes off my time, dont know if I could do a marathon though!!

• Hoping to , though I'm not handing over the money until after the Great South on Sunday, just incase I can't walk for 3 weeks image
  • Zoe. yes had bad cramp for last 2 miles, this time I hope I will be ok as been doing distance all year for ironman, had a month rest due to virus and now training on for Portsmouth Coastal in December. Im sure you be ok in knocking time off.

HRF, good luck on Sunday what time you going for, im looking at 1h35ish.

Steve. remember you from last year due to the long distance to get there.
  • Hi Mark, good luck to you too image, anything under 1:30 I'll be chuffed with, anything over I'll blame the mass of people !
  • I shall be doing it again, hopefully a PB as it is a very fast course. I am racing the next five weekends so need to stay injury free!
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    I have entered. Set a PB last year at Gosport of 1:21 (was always going to be a PB with it being my first half marathon!)... then ran a first half split at London of 1:20 so I should be ok to get a PB this time around I hope! Have done quite a few races since but 95% of them were trail races and no Half Marathons.
  • Wetter is better thats a really good time, how  much training do you do per week?

I have to say gosport gives out the best goody bag I have ever had, far better than the great south run!

• I did it last year, planning on doing it this year but I'll wait until I've done the Great South Run before I enter (best not to tempt fate).

Gosport is nice and close for me - I often run part of the course for my long runs.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Zoe - I train 6 days a week, have never really counted mileage so I don't know that. Most of my training is geared towards Ultra races and trail races but I do 2 sessions a week of speed work with a club and pop out and do some road races with others from the club when they do them. In terms of road racing I have only done 1 10k (Kenley), 1 HM (Gosport) and 1 Marathon (London) so looking to beat the times I set for those over the winter as the majority of my longer races dont really start until mid 2012.

I am a fan of race tshirts over goody bags myself image Can't remember what they gave out last year at Gosport? Did they hand out the bright green bags with stuff in?!

• Last year at gosport as it was their 25th anniversary they gave out cotton bags which were very nice, fruit, homemade cake, crisps etc.

I have a few race t-shirts but never wear them, I now have a few paper weights from runs but not sure what to do with them!

Wetter the better I dont know how you find time to train 6 days a week! I work shifts over at QA hospital and have to say I cant run in the day when I am on nights. I have recently joined a gym in gosport to try and tone upper body etc so only running 2 days a week.

I plan to do the santa race at portsmouth on the 11th december tooimage 

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Ah yes I remember now... the cake was good image Looking forward to some more of that and the massage afterwards as well.

We have a guy at our club who works night shifts and comes to the club sessions in the evening before work. Must be like training first thing in the morning to him?

• So great south run over, have terrible cold today thinks its from getting wet yesterday running, hopefully get some long runs in before gosport although only 3  weeks to go!
  • Good luck to you all, I'll be a marshal yet again this year and running it the day before with the Gosport road runners.Hope the weather is as good as last year.
  • I hope the weather it good to us that day,

my 5 year old will be doing the kids race which is great value for money, the goodie bag for the kids is great too, my son did the mini great south 1.5k on saturday and the bag was abit rubbish (considering the money it cost), in the bag were tissues! as my son said you can eat those!

I am still full of cold so hopefully will get a run in on fridayimage

• gosport half was my first ever run last year and it took me 2 hours 27 mins ! image
  • Are you running it this year? If so good luck I'll give you an extra loud cheer when you go past.
  • Will be back for this year, and have booked a B&B for the weekend again.

Last year was only my 2nd Half, so i didnt know what to expect, but got round in 92:59, although i cant see me getting close to that again. Have run 6 Halfs this year, and the best is 5 minutes slower than last years Gosport!

So either Gosport really is super fast, or im past my peak ;-p
  • Running this race for the first time. 2 reasons, a quick course if we get decent weather, hope to run sub 1:15. Secondly, i can visit family who lives in Gosport and only 10 mins from the start. where will you be cheering from 'Elsonrifle'? then i can look for you and await your extra loud cheer!

good luck to all those running and pass that on to your running mates who arent on this forum.

• Ah i dream of 1:15 image, its certainly flat enough to have a go.

My only advice would be, that the cycle path stretch is pretty narrow, so if youre going for a quick time get out in front out of the way of trouble on the first 1/2 mile(ish) or so of road.

Once you hit the airfield all is good image

I just hope its isnt ahead wind all the way down the promenade this year
  • Not sure where I will be marshalling yet, will let you all know when I do.
  • I got my number todayimage

however I still have my cold so maybye just a 6 miler tomorrow, not going to start panicking yet!

• yes i am doing it again this year i will be the one right at the back eating a mars bar ! image 

well done and thank you for being a marshall elson , dont forget a brolly, i have a feeling itsa gonna pelt it down !

• NO no no no no no no , no rain please and thank you ! I heard too many stories of the water splash the year before ;-p
  • Jacqueline I am pleased your doing it again, what time you hoping for?

I did not go in the water feature the other year I chickened out and ran round it!

• 9 miles run done today, still have a cold so found it hard,

I used a gel today halfway through run, not used them before. Does anyone else use them and is so at what point do you use them?

• Ran the Marlow Half yesterday,and used 2 gels, one at 6.5 miles, and one at 11 miles. Cant do you any harm, as its just extra energy at the end of the day, but it is a good idea to use them in training prior to the event to make sure they agree with you image