Excited new runner

Comments

• Morning image

Blimey don't you lot talk alot haha took me a while to catch up image

Newquay was great, we got out loads and saw quite abit although the weather was very hit and miss.  We arrived there Friday and it was a beautiful day, had a coffee at costa sitting outside in t-shirt image unfortunately that didn't contine.  Saturday was my Birthday and it was drizzling all day really, we went to a place called Gwithian to watch a windsurfing event, lovely place down very narrow roads.  Went out for curry and drinks in the evening image the next couple of days were spent at various places we had marked to look at, Surfing going on on Fistral Beach.  Hubby windsurfed at two lovely spots, Stitians Lake and Loe Beach.

Without to much detail imageI had unexpected womens probs (sorry even thats to much detail but don't know how else to put it) image which totally messed my plans for running as I felt like rubbish for 2 days image but like I said I had a good time and its always good to get away

Felt bad once I got home for not doing anything but got out with the club last night, we did about 5K and I really enjoyed it image so the weekend I will get back into it and push on image

• Thort I would post that then do another one about you lot image

Silver - you have been doing some running in the last few days and all sounds good image so whats the decision on the HM?  Why don't you just drive yourself there then its easier you don't have to bother your wife?  My hubby doesn't always come with me and I am ok driving, although I have not done a HM yet.  I think you could do it ok as long as you really do pace yourself and don't mind walking etc

I still think for your first race you should do a 5 or a 10K just to get the feel of what its like, then there will be no stopping you image

I hope you are not hungover today, all that wine image 

Stripes - so pleased you got out with the running club and it went well, will you try and keep going with then now.  Nice there is so many people aswell as you can always slot in better where you are comfortable image and the garmin is going well image I always use mine even with the clubs as do a few others.

Mal - your new pup sounds lovely, like the others I would love a dog but not while we work full time

• Hi Booey Glad to hear you enjoyed Newquay despite the weather. It's a good time to go after the masses have been in the summer. I love that part of the world although we usually end up a bit further North in Croyde or Woolacombe which are also big surfing beaches.

I'm really enjoying my running again and itching to get out at every opportunity. For me it's so related to the weather and the surroundings so the beautiful trees at the moment and the mild weather are just so appealing. I feel totally revived after a run in the countryside.

Still deliberating on the HM next week as I'm feeling pretty fit and trim at the moment (my 5ks are feeling v easy - I think it's the longer club runs that have helped) I know I won't make the whole thing in one go but with a couple of little walks Im sure I could do the distance.

Had some womens problems of my own last night (not quite the ssme thing Im sure) which you've probably read about earlier but I'm determined to win this one even if it means the dog house for the next month!
  • Hello, I thought I'd post as I'm new to this place and new to running. I did a 5km park run the other day as my friend persuaded me to go and I was horrified by my slow time!! I do a fair bit of exercise but I've never been a a runner I much prefer swimming or kayaking. I have always maintained I hate running because it hurts too much and I never enjoy it however I need to get fitter and so I am going to try and run.

Did anyone else hate it at first and grow to love it? Or am I doomed to dislike every run I force myself to do. It's lovely to see other people on here who are just starting out, hopefully I'll get some inspiration!

• Silver's soon to be new home image haha

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/657705/Gallery/doghouse.bmp

• Morning Ellie and welcome to our thread image

I was treadmill running to start with, but gotta say once I went out on the roads I loved it and have got the bug

Give yourself time to get use to it and see how you feel then

I am a great believer in doing what you really love doing, you just won't keep it up if you don't enjoy it at all

• Hi There Ellie and welcome to our friendly thread.

I hated running too at first but I always had a desire to do it. There's something great about getting from point A to point B under your own steam. I did lots of long distance walking when I was younger too ( through the night stuff 30 to 40 miles) do I missed the connection with the great outdoors.

I started in April with a view to getting fit and at first it was hard work. 20 mins of 1 min runs with 90 second walks just about finished me off and I was shattered after each outing. However the stronger and more confident I got the more I grew to love it and now I know I can usually get round without stopping and keep up with other people I love it even more.

Stick with it and share your highs and lows on here as I've found that a real motivation when I was beginning to lose the enthusiasm a bit.

The club runs are a great way to meet others who are enthusiastic about running.
  • Booey I have missed your cheeky sense of humour but if I force the issue with Mrs S you're probably not too far off the truth image

That's a fine looking dog house too. I'd be proud of it if I'd designed myself. Maybe Mal would be interested in something like that for her new Puppy? Although if I'm in there already it might be a bit cosy for the dog.
  • Hi all image I've enjoyed reading ur thread so thought I'd pop in if u don't mind!
    I keep attempting to get 'into' running first time after my daughter was born 4 years ago, my neighbour wanted to do the run for life for her aunty so I trained with her but then it sort of fizzled out and I found I didn't like running on my own image started again in Jan this year, on my own and was really enjoying it! Was doing my 5k in 30mins and started on trying to run longer after an itb (think that's what it was called) issue Then in June I went away with pals on a boozy wkend and started smoking again and stopped running! Seems I wasn't as committed as I thought!!
    Now I want to get back into the running, I have missed the time doing something for me (and to loose the last bit of weight I put on when I stopped smoking) image also I'm hoping it will make me want to stop smoking again and if I do I might be able to avoid gaining a stone in wks like last time! image
    I've become obsessed with a local race I'd love to run, it may be do-able but I'm not sure I'll push myself enough to try so I've decided to check out the running club tonight image if they don't think it's wise I can always run it nxt year and do it in a decent time lol
    My last run was 3.09m in 33mins so not the fastest pace but I only started back in Oct so I'm sure I'll pick up soon..
    Running clubs probably gonna kill me tonight!! image
  • THanks silver and Booey. Sabbie- I ran the same as you for my first weekend it was 3.1miles (5k) and I did it in 33 mins.... but I really want to improve! Good luck with starting again and with quitting smoking. I need to find another race to do, and I will do the 5km run again once I've done some more training. I think if I get fitter I will hopefully enjoy running more! I do weight training for kayaking which involves some squat work and apparently that's meant to help with running to so let's hope I can improve. I'd like to do 5KM in under 30mins next time I run it!
  • Hi There Sabbie

It sounds like you've been there and done it all already and if you're still running 3m in 30 mins you shouldn't have a problem keeping up with the club runners tonight. If it gets too much or you think you've run far enough you can always slope off in the middle at least that's what some of the people at my club do.

As for losing the pounds that will just happen with the running. I changed my whole frame of mind when I started to run and cut out all the rubbish which made it v easy to lose weight. I've put a few pounds back on (I blame it on the change in seasons) but I can pretty much keep it under control now with the running and the odd cake!

As for the ciggies, well that's a bit more difficult. I smoked years ago at college but I've been ciggie free for 15 years now. Still tempted to go for a crafty one in a corner somewhere sometimes when the world gets on top of me - which is quite often!

Good luck tonight. Let us know how you get on.

• Boo I just noticed your second post this morning. I think I was put off by all the newcomers.

In answer to your questions. Yes I did have a thick head this morning but Im not in the office so that's ok and I would drive myself but it's a straight run so my car would be 13.1 miles away when (if!) I finish. I guess I could always run back and get it to make it a straight marathon!
  • Oh right, soz I didn't realise you didn't finish where you started, thats a bit tricky then image

Welcome Sabbie image

Blimey our chit chat is attracting the mases image image hehe

• I know. I always think we just ramble on about running and stuff. I must remember that it's not just the few of us reading this as its easy to forget its so public. If Mrs S sees my comments it won't just be the dog house it will be another house altogether!
  • Haha! Now you're talking image

Where did you find that. Is it actually a giant Dog House?

Oh yes I just saw the dog. That's brilliant. Better make plans to get hold of one just in case! image
  • Right! I have the next 2 hours with no kids and no wife so I'm going to go for a run. I know I could just sit here posting messages and waiting for your witty replies Boo but if I don't do this now I may not get out for a few more days. So as much as I would like to stay I'll have to go for a bit. It's 7.5k and a new circuit so hope to be back in 45 mins.

Wish me luck. Keep the funnies coming.
  • How about this posh one image

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/657705/Gallery/dog.jpg

How did the run go?

• Now that is amazing! My 4 yo boy could live in that - now there's an idea image

Great run 7.53 k in 39.32. Totally different route from home out into the countryside through a couple of little villages then back up a big hill. I had to stop to cross a main road for 30secs then I had a little breather after the hill for 20 secs while walking but other than that it was pretty straight forward. I've been nervous about this route for ages as there's a lot of road running with no pavements but other than a couple of stretches on the verge at blind corners it was fine.

My Splits show that I was tiring to the end as the first 5 range between 5.05 to 5.12 and the last 2 and a half are nearer 6 mins. Still not bad for consistency.

I'm now off to tidy the house before picking up my 7yo from after school club at 4.30. No rest for the wicked as they say.

• Sounds like you had a good run and good time, its nice to get out when its still light something we cant do much over the coming months

Have I missed somewhere that you have a garmin image  how else can you work out your splits image

get on with your chores and stop slacking image

• That's enough of the cheek thank you very much. Kitchen and Living Room are gleaming now by the way!

I use my IPhone in an arm band with the Runmeter app. It's a great bit of software for 2.99 or something like that. I've cocked up well over 200k with it and found it to be v accurate. You can do splits, cumulative, intervals and it plots a little map of your run at the end. Useless if you don't have an IPhone of course but I love it and can't wait to read all the data when I'm finished - did I hear you say Geek? - only down side is wearing the arm band but tbh it's always stayed well and truly fixed and never slips around so I'm used to it now.

Still like idea of Garmin as its a bit more accessible and easier to wear.

Are you out tonight Boo or are you resting?
  • I think I typed cocked up when I meant clocked up. Tee Hee image
  • Yes you clocked up didn't you image

Yes I am out tonight for a meal image hehe it was planned a while back so yes I am missing running club image I shall be out running somewhere tomorrow hopefully if I can get home in the light.  After all the birthday naughtiness I need to pull my socks up, do you know I still haven't done as much mileage as I did in August image how terrible lol

• Didn't you do 6 gizillion miles in August though? Take some beartng that!
  • Am off soon so have a good evening you lot image

Silver - stay off the wine tonight or I will have alot of reading tomorrow morning imageimage haha

• Hi all,

Hello Ellie and Sabbie.

Mal, my brother had his cast off today, or  maybe you are right and he was putting it on all along image

Silver, I love the idea of you cocking up the miles image

Glad to have you back Booey, finally took your advice and went to get my gait checked today. Glad I did as it turns out that I over-pronate. Got a gleaming new pair of expensive trainers. Trouble is they are so lovely that I don't want to wear them outside in this crappy weather  image

Did 5.82 miles this morning in 49.18, not gonna run again before my race on Sunday, worried now about wearing my old trainers but there is no way I am wearing the new pair for the first time in a race as its supposedly a big no-no.

• Hi Stripes. I've wanted to have my gait checked for a while. Is over pronating running more on the outside of the foot? If it is whats special about the trainers they recommended? Do they have more support under the arch to level out the way your foot hits the floor? I've read about this a couple of times but don't fully understand the issues.

Good run you put in today. How did you feel after? I managed 7 1/2 k and I feel ok if a little stiff in my knees.

Fully agree with advice on not wearing new shoes for a race. I have some relatively cheap (60/70 quid) nikes which were great until I increased the mileage and started to have real problems with knees and ankles. I was ready to buy some more buy I tried running insoles instead and that made all the difference. I don't suffer at all now apart from the usual aches after a long run. I'd be very nervous about changing them at all.

• Felt fine after. Bit achy now though but always tend to be a bit like that, thats why I'm worried about running on consecutive days. Did it last week for the first time but gone back to three sessions this week because of having a race on Sunday.

Don't think 70 quid ones are cheap, my expensive ones were only 85 image

Will use the old ones Sunday before switching.

When he played back the video of me running in the old pair it looked like my feet were collapsing outwards, when I tried some different pairs I could see how my feet were landing flat and my legs were straight on impact.

What is the decision on the HM?

• Yeah 70 quid seemed like a lot at the time too but I know you can pay well over 120 for some pairs.

No decision on HM as yet. I'm actually thinking you and Booey are right and I should probably start with a bit more modest distance of 5 or 10k

So Mrs S will get her way afterall!
  • The ones I liked were £105 but they weren't right for my crappy style image

Find a 10k or a 5-10 miler and get your entry in. Once its done she can't argue? What date is your Reading HM? I must admit I like the idea of running into a stadium, sounds like great fun image