Night running

I started running in March and ran The Royal Parks Half Marathon last month (my first experience of a half marathon).  I really enjoyed running during the summer after work when the evenings were light.  However, all running has now stopped because of the lack of daylight.  I refuse to join a gym, so the only other option is night running.  I live in the countryside - there's no street lighting. 

Does anyone have any advice about night running?  Is it possible with a head torch?  My only slight concern is that there is more risk of injury (e.g., twisted ankle).

Comments

• Miles

Night running with a headtorch - even off road on fells and trails - is fantastic fun and once you've done it you'll wonder why you ever doubted it.

Get a good headtorch (the Alpkit gamma is a popular/good value choice) and get out there.

• Get a decent headtorch - something like the Petzl Tikka Plus - the new version is very bright and has a decent range. Also get some sort of flashing red LED to wear on your back.

When running in the dark I tend to pay more attention to the ground ahead, rather than looking around at cows and sunsets as I run.
  • Thanks guys - very kind of you to reply and offer such good advice.  I'm definitely going to give it a go!
  • Wheres Jj ? I know she does her runs in the early morning off road and with the Alpkit. (and that comes with a flashy red on the rear)
  • PJAZ wrote (see)

Miles

Night running with a headtorch - even off road on fells and trails - is fantastic fun and once you've done it you'll wonder why you ever doubted it.

Get a good headtorch (the Alpkit gamma is a popular/good value choice) and get out there.

Agreed, its lots of fun! I thought running with a headtorch might be annoying but its no different to having a sweat band on. Also make sure you have some reflective clothing so you can be seen from behind - especially if you are running along poorly lit roads. 

Or you could get a pair of rather fetching flashing armbands, if you want to create the world's smallest mobile rave image They are about £4 a pair online

• Just on a slightly different tack, and this isn't for everyone because you need showers at work, but I go running several lunchtimes a week. It's always light.
  • Now that the evenings have drawn in I have to do most of my running by headtorch. As the others say, the Alpkit Gamma is recognized as the best value by a country mile. It's the perfect starter headtorch. There are better and brighter ones out there but they cost a lot more. At £12.50 including duracell batteries and P&P, I'd say get one of these. If it's not enough, you haven't lost too much.
  • Jeezz just spent £12.50 and I was only surfing.. image bloomin good deal thanks for that Muttley..
  • Expect to see your times improve while running trails at night. I find that the monsters lurking in the bushes spur me on a little bit faster. I'm not afraid of dying - I just don't want to get eaten.
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)
    Wheres Jj ? I know she does her runs in the early morning off road and with the Alpkit. (and that comes with a flashy red on the rear)
    do you need a long cable running between them?
  • Intermanaut wrote (see)
    Expect to see your times improve while running trails at night. I find that the monsters lurking in the bushes spur me on a little bit faster. I'm not afraid of dying - I just don't want to get eaten.

I once came to a screeching crapping-myself halt on the towpath, in the darkest part, down by the river and the dense woods. Two large and round green eyes were tracking me. They were completely unblinking, and fixed on me.

Then I realized that they were the reflectors on a bicycle chained to the railings image

• skotty wrote (see)
    cougie wrote (see)
    Wheres Jj ? I know she does her runs in the early morning off road and with the Alpkit. (and that comes with a flashy red on the rear)
    do you need a long cable running between them?
    No, the battery pack sits at the back of the head and has a built in red light which can be on on/off/flashing, the headband is very comfy and supoortive and the wire from the battery to the front torch is clipped to the side straps (theres also a strap front to back which some do/don't like, i don't mind), but i have about the same amount of hair as this little chap image.  I usually wear a buff when using the headtorch, for extra comfort.
  • The latest Trail Running mag has a feature on night running and headtorches if you want to know more.
  • Oooh! think I might just order me one of those alpkit gamma's. Nice one for the link Muttley.

Might be able to get back out in the woods then image
  • Can you detach the straps to wash them?
  • Never tried it. The torch is rainproof though so you could rinse the straps carefully ?
  • Intermanaut wrote (see)
    Expect to see your times improve while running trails at night.  I find that the monsters lurking in the bushes spur me on a little bit faster.  I'm not afraid of dying - I just don't want to get eaten.
    Genuinely laughed out loud at that one.  So true, until today my fastest run had been at night as the last part of it is round a lake and through some woods.  Miss judged the the time of sunset once and got caught out went like the clappers......just in case the monsters got me
  • Did PJAZ say he goes running in the buff with his headtorch? I'm now a little more afraid of night running! image

I've got one of the Duracell headtorches - tried a few before settling on this one. Don't even bother with the wind up ones - I thought I'd save a fortune on batteries but it was so awkward and unwieldy to wear.

There are also a few organised night runs, Miles which are good fun. I did the skeleton Run in Loughborough recently which was good fun and you don't notice the hills so much at night! (No really! image )
  • RunnyRunRun wrote (see)
    Did PJAZ say he goes running in the buff with his headtorch? I'm now a little more afraid of night running! image

image - have you been speaking to some of my running buddies up here in Sheffield?  Its not true what they say about me (well, most of its not image)

• pietzl chicken tikka is ok but limited beam spread, the energiser had 3 neam patterns/lenses that are good but the button is a bit fiddly if you want to change beam and you have sweaty fingers! I use the energiser on head and an a smaller pietzl on wrist for simulate two runners when running down a pitchblack lane out in the back of beyond and the wrist torch also serves as a to investigate spooky noises. Generally night running it fantastic withhead torch when your breath is lit up and you run though it ..
  • I ran last night for the first time in the dark. Great fun. It was a very clear mild night with a full moon and a group of us ran 10km around a local forest. I'm totally hooked.

I'd bought one of the LED headtorches from Dealextreme and it was great. The battery pack fitted into my back pocket and it was very bright even on the lower setting.  I'd thought that the headband would be annoying, but it didn't bother me at all.

• Blimey Neal H - you sound more lit up that Blackpool during the illuminations.

Redjeep - yes, its is strangely addictive.

• good running in the dark I also have a yellow vest on aswell so I can be seen
  • RunnyRunRun wrote (see)
    ......and you don't notice the hills so much at night! (No really! image )
    another fan of night running and I have to agree about the hills, if you can't see them you just don't seem to feel them.  (quite so much)
  • be careful of deer at this time of year if running in the dark - it's rutting season image

5am is the best time to run....

• Another thing to be worried about when running in the dark, PSC! And I imagine randy deers are a bit more hazardous then Jack Russells - can't push them off your leg quite so easily image
  • Just placed an order for an Alpkit Gamma. Looking forward to an off road night run as soon as I get it.