Excited new runner

Comments

• Hi Mal. I'm still laughing at the attack of the Giant Chocolate Buttons - very funny!

I'm regularly attacked by Haribos and they are tough little buggers to fight off. I often just give in as it's much easier!

Sorry to hear your sis didn't make it. You were brave to venture out in your own this late at night too. I completely understand the getting away from it all but please be careful out there when it's dark you don't know who's around late at night. Sorry I sound like my mother!

We get comments by youths when we go on the club run on Tuesday but there's strength in numbers so it's easy to laugh it off. If I was on my own I'd feel intimidated too. What with all that and the bad weather I'm not surprised it was a miserable run.

As for the kids - I don't mind running around after them at all. It's all part of being a parent so no medals required! I do a lot of stuff on my own with the boys too so it's actually nothing out of the ordinary.

Hope you and your sister get to run together soon.
  • Aww Mal! That sucks about ur run being pants image I've been lucky enough to do my runs when not many people are about (before everyone gets up) or when the only people I'm likely to see are dog walkers! and they're not really heckling types image
    Glad u got the better of them buttons image

What sort of dog is it? image dogs walks are another good escape image
  • Hi all,

That's bad about you getting hassle Mal. I got called a freak by some fella a couple of weeks ago but that's the worst I've had up to yet. Hope it doesn't put you off. Its not the dog walkers that are the problem its the dogs who decide they want to play, one nearly tripped me up the one day image

Sounds like an awful battle with the buttons, I've got to fight off several pints of beer tomorrow image

My Nan was in good spirits, she has got to have a pacemaker type thing fitted but you would never know she is 87!

• Thanks Silver and Sabbie. I'm sure the next run will be better so I'll try again, really I should've postponed it until the morning. I've recovered from the Buttons ordeal thank goodness, I'm just putting the experience behind me as though it never happened!

She's a Dalmatian puppy so we've got lots of fun and energetic times ahead. The idea of being heckled by every dog walker I passed made me smile. I'll sharpen up my witticisms ready for my own walks!

Thinking of doing another parkrun next week, quite fancy the challenge.

<a href="https://www.facebook.com/#" title="Previous"></a><a href="https://www.facebook.com/#" title="Next"></a>
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/381607_213404398730901_100001840277301_506216_915264222_n.jpg

• Awwww! How cute is she! image Pongo sprang to mind image beautiful dogs

Stripes glad ur nans doing well image

I found I've got to know quite a few dogs in the neighbourhood with walking mine so sometimes I slow to a walk just before them so the dog doesn't run after me!

If I don't drink on sat I may try and squeeze in a 5k Sunday but not a parkrun, not ready for that yet image Chances are though that work will drive me to drink once more!! ;D
  • Blimey you lot were up late last night!

Stripes - good to hear your nan's ok. I hope I can get to 87 and still have all my faculties. Are you going to the home of football today? I'm gearing myself up for England Spain next weekend. I'm taking my 7yo who's been to a few friendlies at Wembley with me and my 66yo dad who's never been to any. Can't wait and hope Spain put on a real display (but England win of course!) image

Mal - your pouch is gorgeous! image. He's big though isn't he? I bet he's a bit of a handful until he's house trained? It must be like having another child in the house at the moment. How do you manage?

Sabbie - I know what you mean about work and drinking. Most nights I can't wait to get home for the first glass to calm my nerves. Clients, builders, bureaucracy drives me mad. It was the main reason for me starting running at lunchtime as I couldn't stand 8 solid hours of grief! If you get out on Sunday have a good one.

What with football and family stuff today I've decided to leave my run til Sunday am. Ive worked out that I can add a loop in the middle of my new route and stretch it to 10k That will also give me another 10 mins of freedom! Joy! image

• *knock knock* Ahem, er..... Can I come back in?

I'm really sorry I stopped posting, a few days went by & I meant to post, but then a few more went by, and you know it gets to a point where it feels like too long has gone by??

Just caught up with the thread and wow, you are all doing SO well! Good work chaps & chapesses, keep it up!!

All going ok here, or at least it was til a few weeks ago, though it's now looking like physio is on the cards image  This is gonna be a long one, get comfy!

3 weeks before the Great South, I went for a long Sunday run with a friend, 8.5miles, & during the last 2 miles, my knees started feeling a bit, umm, twingy. I fell ill a couple of days later, so didn't run for 10days, then went out with the Portsmouth Joggers & had a fantastic run! 6 miles no worries, I was so pleased.

The following Sunday, 1 week before the big run, I went for the usual long Sunday eve run, and we had a 9 mile route planned, but around 5 miles in, the knee pain started again, & quickly got worse to the point where I burst into tears at just under 6 miles, mainly because I thought it signalled the end of the Great South. It had started in one knee, and then the other knee started too - WTF?!  My friends husband had to come and get us as we were 3 miles from home & it hurt a lot....

So, for the next week I did nothing, well, no exercise anyway, & hoped that it would be for the best. I was unsure whether to still race, or just give it a miss altogether, but I figured that if I didn't at least attempt it, I'd always wonder 'what if', and I'd rather have to ditch out halfway through due to injury than that.

The night before the race, I was in bed at 9pm, which meant that, including the clocks going back, I had 10 hours kip!!  I don't think I've had that since my eldest was born 6.5 yrs ago!! I had abstained from alcohol for 2 weeks, and tried to eat sensibly (but I am a sucker for good food, regardless of the nutritional value!) 

On race day, I had a lovely bowl of syrup porridge for brekkie, and I felt really good, knee had been twinging through the week, nothing too bad, but I fully expected that I wouldn't make it round the full 10 miles.  And I was OK with that.  I had (when fit) set myself a target of 1h 40, but now if I could, I just wanted to get round, time didn't matter so much.

The atmosphere was fantastic, I was running with 2 friends, and one of them had her Dad, husband and sister running too.  A nurse friend had given me some strong anti-inflammatories, so I took those, strapped up both knees with a liberal slathering of ibuprofen gel under, took my place behind the thousands of other runners, and hoped for the best....

• Around 1 minute after crossing the start line, the pain started image and I knew at that point, I'd probably make it to around 3 miles if I was lucky.  But, as I went on, I think the pain relief kicked in, and although every mile seemed like 5, before I knew it, I had gotten to 5 (actual) miles!  I knew my husband and girls were at my friends house at mile 7, so that was a big spurrer on for me.  I passed mile 7 to loads of whoops and cheers, and I knew another friend was somewhere near mile 8, and my husband was going to try and get to mile 9, and that he did (and took a video of me too, erk!)!  I honestly didn't know if I'd make the last mile, I thought I was going to throw up when I passed the Jelly Baby stand, but then I remember my in-laws were waiting for me at the end, and much to my massive surprise, I only went and bloody did it!!!  I still can't believe it TBH, but it was fantastic, and I sobbed like a baby on my MIL when I found them over the finish line!  Oh, and my time was 1hr 50m 55s, so I was pretty pleased with that image

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/666213/Gallery/IMG_3350.1.jpg

And once I'd recovered.....

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/666213/Gallery/IMG_3379.jpg

I'm gong to be completely honest and say that I'm not sure I actually enjoyed the run itself, but I think a ot of that was down to thinking that I wasn't going to get through it, so I felt pretty negative most of the way through, probably til I crossed the finish line!  It was much tougher than I thought.  However, I'm gonna have to get over that, as I've booked myself a place in the Milton Keynes Half in March, eeeek!

• Blimey Suzie! U went through the wringer! Congrats and well done image I imagine ur right about the injury being the reason u didn't enjoy it so much, I think I would of probably pulled out of the race! Much kudos!
    Get urself to the physio for sure, I had a little prob earlier in the year and luckily it only took 3 wks to sort out image
  • Thanks Sabbie, that's good to know about your physio experience! I've got to pop to the GP & fill in a form, which I'll do on Mon & take it from there.

I'm thinking that, as it was in both knees eventually, it's either a support issue or an overuse injury. Up until 6wks ago I was doing 5k once a week, then that was instantly upped to 25k (or more) over 3 runs a week. My core needs work too, might break out the Davina DVD...

How's your running going Sabbie? Anything you're working towards at the mo?
  • Love your photos Suzie, you look amazing after running, I'm instantly impressed you had the energy to stand and smile for a photo! Well done, you're obviously very determined.  You must be very proud of yourself. But I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing difficulties, I hope you soon get back on top form.

I'm dying to get out for a run, I want to do my usual little route to see if it's got any easier than the last couple of times. I went out yesterday too but it was too dark to run in the countryside. It'll have to wait because I am in charge of the brood + pup so have to wait for Mr Mal to get back from escaping shopping! It's a stressful day at home if shopping on a Saturday sounds like a break!

• Suzie welcome back to your thread! I was only thinking yesterday about The Great South and how you had got on or even if you had run.

Mucho congratulations for completing the whole run despite all the problems. I would definately have pulled out with all those problems before I got anywhere near race day.

And you look so well at the finish and even better with the medal.

I guess you are going to take a bit of time off to get yourself right now in which case enjoy your time off. Hopefully the physio will be painless and put you straight again.

BTW we'll keep the thread going but feel free to pop in anytime while you are recouperating.

• Hey Suzie, I think ur probably right about the cause but I'm no dr! image
    I was cazily thinking of aiming for a ten miler that's 9wks away but it's pretty hilly and I'm not sure if I'll make it or not.. Always next year if not lol but u did it in less time than I've got so that may spur me on image
    Core is definitely something I need to work on.. Started a box fit class but it's the same night as the run club so not sure what to do right now! Would love a rowing machine but no room in my house!
  • Morning All

Out the door at 6.45 this morning to do my 7.5k route again. No stopping this time as it was so quiet on roads and I managed the killer hill at the end without a breather afterwards. It was a cold start and I struggled to get my breath for first 2ks but then I got into the rhythm. Round in 39.39 splits were slower than Thursday initially but as I didn't stop they were much better at end so between 5.12 and 5.38. Consistent again if nothing else.

Best thing about this mornings run was the smell of last nights fireworks still hanging in the air and a bonfire still burning. That with the cool freshness of the morning was just fantastic. All sounds so daft but it really makes me fell alive!

Worst thing about the run was the smell of bacon coming from a farm house on the way round. Now that's just not fair.

Enjoy the day all. Hope you are able to get out and about.
  • Well done silver image sounded like a lovely run!
    I didn't get out this morn cos my gear got washed and the tumble broke.. I only found out after I got home from work last night and didn't realise my stuff was wet! image I've got spare stuff but only one running bra! *rolls eyes* so ordered another one today.. Can't use that excuse again now image
    Also gonna miss the next club run on tues cos meeting a guy after work in the hopes of getting a new/better job!! So will definitely get out tomorrow image
  • Fantastic run (escape) today, need to extend my route as ran out of loop for my run!
  • More women's problems getting in the way then Sabbie! image Shame you couldn't get out today.

Your job sounds like its really geting you down What makes it so bad? Probably a daft question as I don't know many people who enjoy working - full stop! image

Hope the ingerview goes well and the new job works out for you.

Mal - well done for getting out. Did you leave the brood with Mr M today. It's been a great day for running here - overcast but mild enough to enjoy. Having said that my hands were freezing this morning.

How long is your loop? I'm expanding mine to increase my distance but I get a bit worried About being a long way from home if something goes wrong - with my body not with the house you understand. I don't think Mrs S would rush to pick me up even if I'd fractured something!

• Hi all,

Managed to complete the race today. 7 miles in 57.56. Results up already and I was 223rd image

Great race, found the course much tougher than my first one though with school fields, farm tracks, lots of mud and a long steady uphill stretch coming home. There was no sprint finish today image

No goody bag but instead everyone got a proper running T-Shirt as a momento which I am really pleased with. 

• Stripes that's fantastic, well done! Are you really pleased? Glad you got a proper memento of such a good achievement. What's next?

Silver I did leave them with Mr M, he was understandably terrified as he hardly ever looks after them by himself let alone with the puppy to contend with too. I did make sure all children were fed and settled first and pup tired out and didn't need to go out (ever so considerate!) I was only gone half an hour to Mr's relief.

The loop is 2.5k guess I need an extention since I'm running it pretty comfortably (YAY!) Does Mrs S not like driving? Hope you enjoy your new loop, I better get planning mine, I love running by the river so I'll keep that in there.

• Well done Stripes! I can't do even 5m in that time image (especially uphills!!)
    Good Ts sound like they're few and far between for races so treasure it image

Silver I do actualy enjoy my job loads! I just don't enjoy working in the shop I do so trying to abscond to the opposition image
  • Stripes well done mate! Sounds like a grueller of a course and you did it in good time too. Result getting a T shirt at the end - better than a goody bag. image

Well done on getting out again Mal. Has MrM recovered from his half hour with kids and dog or is he a quivering wreck now image

Sabbie I misunderstood as I thought you were fed up of the job and drinking to relieve the stress! Maybe I just automatically assume everyone hates their job because I don't like mine very much.

*Mental note to self to be more positive at work from now on*

Update on the Grand Union Canal HM - it's sold out so I won't be going and my boy has a footie match next Sunday morning so he wouldn't have been happy if I couldn't take him.

Oh well one day I'll get to do a race but for now I'll just keep on running!

• Thanks all,

Mal, am very pleased, thats as far as I have been so far. I've got another 10k in two weeks, can't wait image

Running by the river sounds great but I think I would be tired out before I started with your pre-run routine!

Sabbie, I will treasure the T-Shirt, think I was the only person running today without a club vest or a T from some exotic race over the foothills of the Himalayasimage

Silver, thats a gutter about the HM, really want you to get a race in. I know I sound like a broken record but am sure you'll get the same buzz from it as I have got from the two I've done.

• Silver, I think u should find urself some 5/10k races to do, u won't be away from home too long the speed u go! image and u won't be far down in positions so when Mrs S sees that she may be a bit more encouraging image
    It's sad when partners aren't totally with u on what u want to do but I think the more u perserver they have to (begrudgingly at first) see how committed u are and start coming round to the idea image
    I myself am having a bit of a mid life at the mo I think, did my first parachute jump in sept!! (it was amazing!) and am taking myself off to the Isle of Mann for the TT racing next year leaving OH and kids home image Can't bloomin wait for it hahaha what I'm trying to get at is if u want to do somat then try ur hardest to work out some acceptable ways to achieve it image (I think I'll be paying for the TT trip for a while though hahaha shall have to make sure it's worth it image )

Well done getting out Mal image I'm sure OH coped brill, sounds like u left him in a state where not a lot could go wrong image and definitely sounds like u have to push the distance a bit image
  • Blimey I cant keep up with you lot imageimage

Suzie - nice to see you back, and well done on the race even though you suffered.  Was the GSR a 10 miler then image not a HM image

I did my local 5K route Fri and Sat and really enjoyed it image had a rest day yesterday.

More blood tests and another x-ray of the hands was the result of the Docs visit, so will get that sorted over the next couple of weeks.

Stripes - well done on the race and great time image you have proper got the race bug ah image I need to get something scheduled for myself but have been waiting for my affiliation number now I have joined the running club, also I am struggling to fit any in before Xmas image I need some very local ones

Silver - glad you also managed to get out and sounds like you enjoyed it.  I know what you mean about the smells and just being outdoors, its a great feeling of being alone and free image

I know I have missed loads out so sorry but I need to crack on with some work so will catch up again in abit

• Ohh! Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to work? We could just sit at home planning runs and writing on this forum all day. image

Sabbie thanks for the advice on Mrs S but she will never be supportive of the running especially if it means I'm out more often racing. I will sneak in a couple at some stage but I certainly won't be making it a regular thing.

I like the answer to your mid life crisis but Im not sure I'd go as far as a parachute jump! I felt really down after turning 40 and even went for some counselling which helped enormously. Maybe this is too much info for a Monday morning running forum!? (sorry if it is but I feel like I'm amongst friends on here!) image

The trip to the I of M sounds great. We went there 4 times as kids for the practice week. Great memories. Shame I'm not a biker as I'd try to get over there again! Did think about getting a bike at my lowest ebb to cheer myself up a while ago but I thought it was a bit predictable. Grey haired old fella trying to look like he's 25 again! Know what I mean?

Anyway back to running Mal you defo stretch out the run a bit. Once you get to 30 mins without stopping you won't be far off the 5k will you?

Booey glad to hear you got out again. Don't let the aches and pains get on top of you.

Stripes - how was Anfield? Another poor result.
  • I was thinking of this sort of thing when I mentioned a mid-life crisis! 

Although thinking about it I wouldn't say no to a convertible at any age!

Actually he's quite a handsome chap - good luck to him - hope he pulls!

/members/images/672640/Gallery/midlife_crisis_0209.jpg

I
  • From a womens point of view, I just don't get this whole midlife crisis thingy image I am 44 and I have seen most women I know my age infact all women I know around my age do something to make them feel younger I guess image 

The whole, get a convertible car, have a tattoo get your belly button pierced just makes me laugh.....I just would never do it, but then I am not your typical women image

• Booey you must be one of a kind! (although we all knew that anyway!)

Mrs S keeps talking about wanting to go clubbing and she buys so many clothes! (although that,s not age dependant)

She even talked about a tummy tuck at one point!

I’m very cool with my age now and I’ve well and truly forgotten about the motorbike.  In fact now I’m fit I feel younger than ever.  This weekend I ran 7.5k first thing and then played footie with my boy for an hour mid-morning, then went on a bike ride in the pm.  I feel like I could go another run today but I’m saving myself for the club run tomorrow evening.

Whats that saying age is just a state of mind!

• Oh I am one of a kind o'right imageimage lol

My dad has a saying "when you look in the mirror its never going to look any better" haha he is such a pessimist,  my mum on the other hand is a real optimist and I defo take after her image 

• image  lol Silver, I'm not sure it is actually mid life crisis as I'm only 35 so good help us if it isnt!!  I have had a bike for the last 8 years and some of the best mates I have are silver foxs image

and Booey! I know where ur coming from but some women get a bit lost in their identity when familys come along and really, they aint hurting anyone with a little bit of body mod! I have to admit to being way over the top on that score..first piercing was about 15yrs ago, most of them have been removed now but the tatts.. they aint going no-where image 

hope the hands are sorted out soon, at least it doesnt stop u running image

I managed to get out for a run today, but I've decided I like running b4 10.30 latest mornings.. set off too fast today so found myself walking a couple of times (that will be a re-occuring theme for me image always do it!) so I did 3.2 miles in 28mins