Bad Legs

As a new runner, I'm having to learn how my body reacts to certain scenarios. One of these is aching legs.

When I started three weeks ago the first week was agony. I ran every other day for a week (3 times) and then took 4 days off before going out again with much improved legs and less aches.

Three weeks later and I'm not getting aching legs after a run. I arrive back at home - have a little stretch and dive in a warm shower.

My issue with aching legs is during the run. I jog gently to start with to warm up and then get up to my comfortable pace. Yet throughout the whole run my legs ache. From warm up to finish they ache. I cannot seem to work through it. I do - but it's getting me down.

Any advice is appreciated,

Gareth

Comments

• Run slower.

Tis always the answer to so many things. Really it depends on how and where your legs ache but most likely it's just using and developing muscle. This takes time. You need to build up quite slowly. If you are otherwise fit this can be quite hard as your body can run further than your legs. - good cardiovascular fitness.

Try giving your legs a massage after your runs or after your shower.

The most likely cause though is doing too much too soon and your legs are tired.

Maybe run then take 2 days off, esp after a harder or longer session. Use recovery or easy runs if you are only taking a day off. Also cool down - finsh your runs with a slow jog or walk.

Other things that may cause problems are the surfaces that you run on. Road is hard, pavement can be harder, esp if it is concrete. These will cause aches. Off road is also problematic if you are continually having to make minor adjustments in pace and stride. The latter is still better as it will make you a stronger runner.

Do less and do what you do slower. This isn't a permenant state of affairs you just need to build up strength in your legs and this happens slowly.

When I started running I asked on here if it ever stopped hurting and the answer I got was 'no'.

• I Mouse wrote (see)

Run slower.

Tis always the answer to so many things. Really it depends on how and where your legs ache but most likely it's just using and developing muscle. This takes time. You need to build up quite slowly. If you are otherwise fit this can be quite hard as your body can run further than your legs. - good cardiovascular fitness.

Try giving your legs a massage after your runs or after your shower.

The most likely cause though is doing too much too soon and your legs are tired.

Maybe run then take 2 days off, esp after a harder or longer session. Use recovery or easy runs if you are only taking a day off. Also cool down - finsh your runs with a slow jog or walk.

Other things that may cause problems are the surfaces that you run on. Road is hard, pavement can be harder, esp if it is concrete. These will cause aches. Off road is also problematic if you are continually having to make minor adjustments in pace and stride. The latter is still better as it will make you a stronger runner.

Do less and do what you do slower. This isn't a permenant state of affairs you just need to build up strength in your legs and this happens slowly.

When I started running I asked on here if it ever stopped hurting and the answer I got was 'no'.

Hi,

Thank you for the answer. It's what I expected. I don't seem to be able to go slower LOL. I've shortened my stride based on advice I had from a runner - shorter steps etc.

I don't feel that bad if you say it get's better. My running diary is as follows:

Tuesday | Thursday | Sunday - and plenty of walking the dog in between. Thursday > Sunday is my rest period. On the Sunday I do the longer run (or try and stretch my previous distance by a little bit).

Thanks again from the advice,

Gareth

• Gareth, stick some gym work in there, or do something to strengthen legs, so squats, lunges etc. Will help lots.

I find it much easier motivation wise to do a gym or circuit class... think of it as injury proofing.

easy enough if you're a gym member or find a local circuit class, often available for as little as £3-4

Also recovery wise, you should do cold first, then hot. Since you're aching, I'd go with the frozen bag of peas or ice in a plastic bag, ice bath, or if you can't take these, a cold spray on any sore leg bits... ( my preferred choice, I )

Then do the hot bath maybe or shower, using the sports head on legs if you have one. Get some sports support for knees, calf - will help in the hours / days after. (£1 at poundstretcher and various places)

• fit-running-cat wrote (see)

Gareth, stick some gym work in there, or do something to strengthen legs, so squats, lunges etc. Will help lots.

I find it much easier motivation wise to do a gym or circuit class... think of it as injury proofing.

easy enough if you're a gym member or find a local circuit class, often available for as little as £3-4

Also recovery wise, you should do cold first, then hot. Since you're aching, I'd go with the frozen bag of peas or ice in a plastic bag, ice bath, or if you can't take these, a cold spray on any sore leg bits... ( my preferred choice, I )

Then do the hot bath maybe or shower, using the sports head on legs if you have one. Get some sports support for knees, calf - will help in the hours / days after. (£1 at poundstretcher and various places)

Hi,

I wish I had the time and the funds to visit the gym. The main reason I started running was that it was easier to fit into my day - especially as we have just had a baby. I can now go when I want. This is the reason funds are down as well.

I have some kettle bells here so will try some lunges. I mlegs don't ache that much after the run it's just during the run. I'll put some cold stuff on the klegs when I get home tomorrow afternoon from my run. As for a cold spray - what do you recommend?

You mention the suports - should I wear them during the day? Why do they help recovery?

Cheers

Gareth

• Just thought I'd report back in here as I start my fourth week of running. The legs are hllding up - the thigh area is great - no pain, no aches. Nothing.

My calves are another matter - owww owww oww. They are sore from the start of the run to the end.

I'm sure it will improve especially now I have had some stretching advice from a coach. Let's see how we go.

Gareth

• Stretching is good.. Before, during & after runs. I'm a convert on this since an injury earlier this year... Leg tightening up whilst running, I could feel the stretches loosening the leg again.

Sports support are similar idea to compression garments, holding the muscles in and keeping them warm. Cheaper too, plus you could target the calf area easily.

So cool first after a run, ice spray, ice bath or bag of peas... Hot bath, or sports shower head on sore areas... Then perhaps some Ibuprofen gel.. (some versions have menthol, even better) and then put the supports on.

See what works for you, but these are tried & tested for me.
  • What sort of stretches would you recommend during a run if you're getting twinges in your knee?  I got that today and decided to cut the run short - but are there stretches that can enable you to carry on or is it best to cut it short in that case?
  • hmm. not specifically the knee, but can easily do stretches on all the areas around it, so would help... since everything is connected hip, down glute & quad, through knee down to calf & ankle.

So quad stretch would be good to start with, then hamstrings, then calf. Try these videos here

If the knee is really bad, I'd back off though to be honest.The odd twinges, try the stretches and maybe use a sports knee support. Can always stick one on at the start, then roll down once knee is warmed up or one in your pocket just in case.

Could also wear compression socks which get near to the knee area so help... if doing a long run I'd generally wear these. Really help.