2011 Henderson ITU Long Distance Triathlon World Championships ...

I know Little Miss Happy and a couple of my clubmates are out on Nevada, anyone else I can keep an eye on?

Comments

• Just heard the swim has been cancelled........ too cold

In Vegas ??????
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

arse !

is there a tracker ?

• So it's the Duathlon world champs then......image
  • Water temp was <13C according to the website, which foced a swim cancellation under ITU rules apparently.
  • Well LMH finished, I will let her tell her own tale

Problem with the swim was also put down to water quality after the heavy rain, the website said water temp was 17 degrees,,,,,
  • Thanks for caring Plum image

Water temp was 17C the day before the race, overnight rain apparently lowered it to 13C, there was also a risk of sewerage in the lake as wash off from the desert rain which they said they didn't have time to test, and air temp was 4C so the threat of hypothermia was considered too great to risk. As it was permission was given for athletes to wear whatever they liked in order to keep warm - which for most of the Brits was a pair of arm warmers with their tri suit at most but for many others seemed to be leg warmers or compression tights, jackets, hats - you name it.

So - we ended up with a 75/18.6 mile bike/run time trial - not quite what we'd come for but the same for everyone. It turned into a lovely day weather wise - I even managed to acquire a little bit of sunburn - and the views round the bike course (usually used for the Silverman) were beautiful. It seemed as though Frank Lowery's organisation was great - the ITU's not so - but the volunteers, weather and camaraderie of Team GB made it well worth the trip.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Well done LMH.

How did you qualify for this race?

• Thanks guys.

Cat5 - to qualify to race long distance for Team GB you have to finish a half or longer within 120% of the winner of your age groups time for the Europeans or 115% for the Worlds. You then apply for a team place presenting your evidence and they select a team. As an older woman there aren't that many willing to do the miles/hours and all of the team slots are rarely taken - there were only three of us racing for GB in my age group - but the competition for places is much greater in some of the male categories. I'm told that they used to just fill the places they had but three years ago they introduced the qualifying criteria and now turn down people with a time within 116% even if there are team slots available. I'd really recommend having a crack at it - it's a great experience - if rather expensive.

• I think it's the expense that puts most off LMH - especially when you have to travel further afield. if you look at the GB teams for World events in China, US, Canada etc - or even the Europeans in Eilat next year (since when was Israel in Europe but that's for a separate discussion), they aren't the strongest squads as the costs are enormous and no help at all from the BTF or the sponsors, GE. even though GB did well in China, a lot of other countries had depleted squads due to costs and location, so the competition wasn't top notch

when me an P did the World's at Almere in 2008 the teams were packed through the age groups as the costs of Holland pale into insignificance against the US, and qualification criteria were a lot more relaxed.

with the Worlds in London in 2013 (Oly and sprints), it's going to see some serious competition for team places at qualifiers and we should a lot of the best age groupers having a go for it. Petal's going to have a crack having won her a/g this year but she knows she'll have some tough work ahead.

• Echo that FB.  When the duathlon worlds were at Edinburgh last year qualifying was much harder than for Rimini a couple of years earlier.  Getting into the 2013 team is going to be some achievement, almost regardless of age group.
  • I think it's harder to qualify at the shorter distances.

For us the cost isn't so much of an issue as this is our family holiday - so our two weeks in the sun budget goes on a race and whatever time is left. Saying that we'd have to look carefully at somewhere like Oz. Our flights were £430 each (including bike) and we're paying something like £1000 to rent a three bed, three bath house for two weeks. It cost us about £500 each for the week in Almere this year.

Regardless of where the races are or how many want to go the qualifying criteria don't change.

• Good stuff.

So I need to get:

1. Older
    2. Richer.
    3. Faster.

In that order.

• Not quite - despite what FB and CD may imply you cannot buy a place on the team. You have to train, race and qualify by being within the stated %age of the winners time. In 2008 there may have been discretionary places which didn't require a qualifying time but in 2009 the rules were introduced and enforced.
  • Oh no, it's not a question of buying a place, it's simply that the further away the event the more it costs to actually go, and therefore fewer people try to qualify. Everyone has to meet the minimum standards, although certainly for the shorter events there are alternative criteria (such as winning the nat champs or the previous worlds) that get you an automatic place.

Combining it with a family holiday is a good idea, you'd get to see some great places that way.
  • Cat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Good stuff.

So I need to get:

1. Older
    2. Richer.
    3. Faster.

In that order.

I've re-read tghis, and I don't like how I'm coming across. image It sounds lke I'm belittling your achievement LMH, which I'm not!

Anyhow - well done again.

• "Not quite - despite what FB and CD may imply you cannot buy a place on the team"

it might not buy you a place but having the money to invest in a coach, training time, diet, and good kit can make a difference between being close to qualifying and actually qualifying. and it's fair to say that for many, getting older buys you more time as the dependancy of kids (if any) has gone which can free up cash, and retirement (for those who have) gives you training time.

aka SKIing - Spending the Kids Inheritance.. image

I know a few of the older guys on the circuit (being one myself) and they get results as they have all the time they need to train and don't have the burden of kids to worry about. and sure - they have some talent as well
  • FB - I ride a £1300 road bike; work two part-time jobs (earning less than £25k a year) and have a husband and dog - though no kids - to look after. I have invested in a coach this year but at £50 a month I think it's less than most people spend on nights out/having their hair done/make-up/clothes etc. Once you've ensured the roof stays over your head, there's food in the cupboard and the bills are paid it's a question of what you want to spend it on isn't it? Likewise finding training time, my chronic health conditions mean that I'm constantly tired and normally need to go to bed by about 2130hrs anyway - but I still get up early four times a week to fit in training twice a day without compromising my work or time with Mark. Of course - this would all be much harder if Mark wasn't involved himself or so supportive of my efforts.
  • I'm not dissing your efforts at all LMH - you've done superbly. my comment about money and time is general, and just think what you could perhaps achieve without the worry of money or work.

it is however all about priority whatever the amount of money or time you have. some people would do a lot better by focusing more than just dicking around; others can throw as much money and time at it as they wish, but still won't improve as no matter what they say, it's still all about the engine itself i.e. you.

as long as you enjoy it at the end of the day, that's what counts
  • LMH well done on your result. We (moi and the OH) have just got back from Henderson too. It was the OH first time as part of team GB, we loved every minute of it. I found it very inspiring especially as places for some of the age catorgories were hard to come by! The OH is already talking about next year, so it looks like we will be putting in some over time!
  • No worries FB - I may still be a little tired image

How about you RP - you going to look to qualify too? Worlds next year are in Spain (I won't be going as the Spanish are horrible to their greyhounds - it's a long story) so shouldn't be quite so expensive - no announcement about the Europeans as yet which is what I'm pinning my hopes on having qualified at Bustinskin and Full Boar Half's. We have another week out here to make it fair as a holiday for Mark - fortunately I don't suffer too much with jet lag as though arriving Wednesday afternoon meant that there were no small t-shirts or loan helmets available when I registered Thursday morning.

• LMH   I am gonna have a bash at trying to qualify for 2013 (Vit 2012 will be my 1st half iroman distance) Im not sure I could fit in a half iron (or above) before then.
  • Good on you RP - though the Vit would probably be a very difficult race to qualify at. Are you local to Rutland?
  • LMH I'm in Lincolnshire so not far from there. As for being tough to qualify at the Vit, I'm gameimage

I might have a go at the Beaver if the training goes o.k up till xmas, maybe edge my bets  ( if I can get the time off work) 

• With an attitude like that you stand a good chance RP. Work can be a pain can't it? I used to work 24/7 shifts in a former life - had to be so organised to get time off especially for weekends, now if I don't work I don't get paid which makes it easier in some and harder in others though thankfully weekend working is always at home so I can just fit it in somewhere else. If you don't mind me asking - what age group are you racing in?
  • Bet he isnt as old as me........

I may have a crack at qualifying next year if the running goes to plan, cant be many left alive in my age group now FB has retired
  • imagehe is a she!!!! lol

LMH I will whisper this quietly...40-45 age category...no body heard that, did they?

• ooops

I have the excuse my eyesight is going though

40-45, bet you still have your own teeth and hair as well

• RP - unfortunately I leave that category next year.........................

Plum - you should give it a go, you'd enjoy racing Team GB I'm sure. The Worlds are in France in 2013 so potentially not too expensive. How would you have done in your AG this year?