Fink for Outlaw 2012

Comments

• hi guys - this thread moves quicker than me through a takeaway - so to save me the time - what are peoples choices for the HIM for May? they seem to be all down south image
  • Muffin 11 minute miles is spot on just don't do to much miles if you arn't used to it, Timmy got it spot on. If it's ok going to sulk that your doing the 4 villages. image Entry was full on the 27th and wasn't able to pay for entry till the 31st. image As Liverbird would say my own fault for not entering quick enough. There are a few other folks from around these parts doing it if you want to say hello to them.

Doner still havn't found a HIM up northish I'm still looking. I think we are going to have to bite the bullet and down down south. image

• cake - i did have a good look last night and they all seem to be after Outlaw or right down south like marshman, i know its a good idea to get a half in but im not that eager. If it really comes to it ill just do a mega brick session on the Vit course, basically the vit without the swim and it wont cost me a penny image
  • Doner Kebab wrote (see)
    hi guys - this thread moves quicker than me through a takeaway - so to save me the time - what are peoples choices for the HIM for May? they seem to be all down south image

That is because it is grim up North. image

• Doner Kebab wrote (see)
    hi guys - this thread moves quicker than me through a takeaway - so to save me the time - what are peoples choices for the HIM for May? they seem to be all down south image

The Beaver looks good, it is a bit later than Fink suggests but the week of the Beaver image conincides with a long bike ride of 5hrs and there's still 5 weeks before the Outlaw for recovery.

I may die if I attempt the Swashbuckler, the swim sounds a bit scary. 

Cat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

That is because it is grim up North. image

It's jolly lovely up North.

Is anyone Movember-ing this year. I'm presently sporting a massive, irritating Mo. It's the Tri clubs swim sessions on a Thursday so fully expect to get the pi$$ ripped this evening.

• To follow on the theme of a HIM prep, Like DK I was thinking of a DIY approach, maybe in line with Joe Friels ‘big day out’

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2010/04/ironman-big-day.html

If a few of us Northerners fancy a HIM training day together, I am happy to sort something out. Not thinking of anything scientific, just meet up swim, cycle, run. Let the Southerners splash a load of cash on an event and we can spend more on pies and ale afterwards.

Thanks for the feedback on my half marathon prep. You are right, it is all about the Outlaw finish line with a smile on my face. I need to keep disciplined on keeping the HR down on short runs and not the old school mindset I have of running as hard as I can for 40 minutes. This endurance lark seems to be more like  ‘if in pain – no gain’ and not my traditional mantra of ‘no pain - no gain’.

• Even The beaver seems pretty south to me. I was thinking of a DIY approach, great minds!

I like the Big Day Out, but why do you suppose he puts such long rests between each discipline, if you were to practice by doing a HIM, you wouldn't do that??

Edited for crap spelling!!

• Isn't the Big Day Out based on longer distances than HIM? Can't remember.   Re the recoveries etc it all depends how soon before your race you're doing it.  SAme with doing a HIM - if you're leaving it till 5 weeks before that'd be great - just don't do it at full pelt because you might not recover properly, either to continue training or to be ready for Outlaw.  I did two HIMs last year - Swash where I hammered the bike because it was about 10 weeks out, then Cowman which was about 5 weeks out.  Kept a lid on it all on that day. That was a lovely race - such a shame the timing's prob not right.

• On the DIY northern HIM front Mr and Mrs Silent assassine do one as ironman prep just sent them a message to see if they fancy it. I'm be well up for a DIY one. But might have problems conmitting with Day job, none day job and family situation at the moment. Basically if you guys pick a pick if I can make it I will. Not sure where everybody is but from other pirate folks somewhere around manchester might be a good bet. The SA's are basied in macclesfield and do there's around there.

• image Any northern types salford is a nice place to swim other than the odd crisp packet and they have tea and coffee for after. Sometimes go there because it's quite a fiddle to get the openwater run by sheffield tri in rother valley unless you have a car and nomally w**k over summer on fridays or saturday's.
  • Hi Guys

me or Mrs SA would be well be well up for a DIY half IM.

Can run one from our house no problem, in macclesfield

• bez za good call on the beaver - only an hour away from me, how did i overlook it !

cat - youre right - tis grim up nawf
  • I would be looking be looking to run 2

one on the saturday and one on the sunday

I would do one and Mrs SA would do the other

Looking at 19th and 20th May

Any one interested

PS its a pool swim

• I'm waiting to see where Tri Grand Prix UK is next year - it's on May 20th but no confirmed venue as yet.

http://www.trigrandprix.com/

It was on the MK Cowman course last year.

• I have thought about DIY HIM myself I live in Nottingham so in the middle of you southerners and northerners youth hostels are very accomadating if some wanted to make a weekend of it and safety wise if a few do it we can look after each other.
  • SA, I might be interested, quick question.........are you and Mrs SA speed merchants?? I'm very slow !!! image

• no we are not speedy, very simple course bike 5 mile laps, run 3 mile laps, drinks stations(you supply your own drinks).

mini tranition outside pool

to be treated like a race, you go at your own pace

• image Mrs is he's a right slow git. image 

SA 20th is the date of Eyam half I think so what I might do if I’m able is pop round of the Saturday and do it that day and the half the day after. If that’s cool with you, Mentioned this to a few manc based pirates about getting together at some point for stuff but didn’t follow it up because of other stuff on would you be up for meeting up in Manchester swimming baths or a weekend ride at any point? There appears to be quite a few tri types up north and we don’t have a dust boy or a barley press ganging people into doing stuff.
    pcphil wrote (see)
    I have thought about DIY HIM myself I live in Nottingham so in the middle of you southerners and northerners youth hostels are very accomadating if some wanted to make a weekend of it and safety wise if a few do it we can look after each other.
    Matey thought for you Absolute tri sometimes do openwater swim’s at perri point on Saturday’s you could do the open water and them do the rest of the DIY HIM that way. Bonus is you will be doing it on the actual course for the OUTlaw if that’s your race next year. image
  • Cake wrote (see)

image he's a right slow git. image 

Seem to remember being in front of you at Trentham and Outlaw

• image Thats because I'm sh*timage
  • Cake wrote (see)

Doner still havn't found a HIM up northish I'm still looking. I think we are going to have to bite the bullet and down down south. image

I believe there is a half mara right on your doorstep... 13/5/12 sheffield half mara.( Lincoln wellington athletics club are advertising it on thier race list).

DK I looked at the Beaver but again its on a Saturday, I doubt I can get the time off but I might tryimage

• image Postie there are a few around here Sheffield, Eyam, Buxton, Worksop, and Clowne at the end of this month if you ever fancy a laugh and do any of them I normaly do them all to support local races and stuff and all a worth the entry. Plus lots a lovely fell races and a few sprint tri's in derbyshire. Haversage is the best one. image

Just in case no I'm not being paid by visit yorkshire or anything. image

Was only looking for a Half Ironman through.

Are you on a 6 day week? Can't you swap hours over there?

• This thread seems to have burst into life this week!

i'm just trying out a few FINK sessions in next couple of weeks before the 5th Dec. 30 mins z2 run on Weds was very civilised. about 10 min/mile along the beach and home for elevenses before work. had another attempt at the Core/strength workouts thursday and wearing trainers did help!. but I definitely know where my glutes are.

Cake- you'd make a great personal trainer. Not sure the marshals would agree, but yes I can see getting value for money by staying out on the course as long as possible is a good plan!

Muffintop- (I know nothing, but.....) if you've not done a half marathon before a bit of focus on that til end of Jan, a few days to recover then get set into FINK should be OK, you're still training for endurance and it will give you more "run"confidence.

As Timmy-G commented he got bored over a 30 week plan. I can see that happening to me but the Iron distance scares me enough to give it a go from December...safe in the knowledge that work, life, weather and inclination will stop me from completing the plan to the full.

• Cake wrote (see)

image Postie there are a few around here Sheffield, Eyam, Buxton, Worksop, and Clowne at the end of this month if you ever fancy a laugh and do any of them I normaly do them all to support local races and stuff and all a worth the entry. Plus lots a lovely fell races and a few sprint tri's in derbyshire. Haversage is the best one. image

Just in case no I'm not being paid by visit yorkshire or anything. image

Was only looking for a Half Ironman through.

Are you on a 6 day week? Can't you swap hours over there?

Cake which local races will you be at next year? I'm going to head back home for a few I think (after emigrating to "Landan Tahn" a year ago). Going to do Sheffield Half - then will time any family trips home with at least a 10k or something, possibly the Lord Mayors, Dronfield and Rother Valley, simply because I have done them before and enjoyed them
  • Can’t say what races will be free for yet I’m afraid, always a struggle for time for me anyway because work weekends and evenings on hippy stuff but getting married next year and also got a terminal illness in the family at the moment so got to do family stuff.

If I can I will be doing all the above, but lets see. Plus the totley series fell races and as many trunces as possible. You might find the Sheffield thread useful in clubhouse for info about races in the shire matey.
  • floreat  and TimmyG - Outlaw will be my third and last year I did get that 'I just want to get on with it' feeling about a month before Regensburg. But I think that might partly have been because Regensburg was quite late - 7 Aug, too so it felt like it should have been done and dusted by the summer holidays.

Anyway - I, too,  think I'm just going to carry on doing base sort of stuff and start training straight after New Year which Tommy helpfully said was about 26 weeks which I'm happy with. image  But I will def be doing stuff before then.

• Jan 1st is exactly 6 months/26 weeks to the Outlaw....happy new year... image