VLM 2012 Outsiders Thread

Comments

• Only if you're a 50 minute miler image
  • I have no idea whether I'll respond well to crowds. Normally I run on country lanes and by myself so VLM will be quite a change. Had a nice run this a.m but I've given blood this afternoon and although I normally feel fine when I do I just climbed a couple of flights of stairs and felt quite sick and faint. I'm planning not to run tomorrow and then to do 4 slow miles on Thurs (not that there is any other kind of mile when you are me). Wish I was as fit as Chimney's dogs.
  • mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    If you put your name on your shirt you'll get lots of cheers - which may help or may annoy you! I do most of my runs in the country so VLM was a bit of a culture shock but I enjoyed the atmosphere and valued the support of regular water stops, etc. Makes a change from having to carry everything myself. Had a late work meeting so missed club this week. Should be doing a few miles tonight - please may it stop raining!!!!
  • Careful now Que Sera - you don't want to overdo it! image

Hi mitiog image  

I am owed half and hour from yesterday so that seems like a good opportunity to get home early and run a couple of miles before dinner. I was about to out out for a walk too but a job has just come up that needs to be done this afternoon - big pants image

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    *waves back at Screamy*

That confirms it! We have special 7pm rain in Wales!!!! Whenever I want to go for a plod it always rains at 7pm!!! Not on any other day - just days when I want to plod up and down the prom. But I'm glad I plodded though. Made me feel better. Programme says 2.5 easy and 2.5 a bit harder for tonight...wish that meant minutes not miles image
  • Interesting mitiog - still at least if the rain always arrives at 7pm you can work round it image 

I have to put up with a psychic tube system that knows when I'm planning to run in the evening and gets naused up like a b*stard accordingly image

Perfect running weather in London at the moment though - cool but not cold, not wet, not windy, can I please order the same for the next 6 months?

Had a nice 2ish mile plod last night and went for walkies for an hour at lunch - well 50 minutes really, since I stopped off at the Field of Remembrance on the way back which was very sobering image

Now can someone please tell me why, after 8 years of plodding I'm suddenly starting to enjoy hills a little bit?

• Hi All,

Scream, if you like hills got a good race for you The Picnic The Chimney's Progress on the page is my run from this year. A personal worst mara time by over an hour! It really is a fun race.

mitiog, I guess I'm lucky in that I was brought up on a farm and had multiple ponies & horses to exercise so got used at a very young age to having to be out whatever the weather. If it's sun it's fine. if it's snow it's fine etc.

Que, I wish I was as fit as my dogs too.......image One of them gets so excited when he see's me putting my trainers on he jumps about the place and then starts nibbling my fingers as I try to do up my laces. Don't think he's quite figured out that if he leaves me alone we can get going sooner!

45 miles and 3300 feet of ascent so far this week (Saturday to today). I should take a rest tomorrow but I got a race on Sunday and prefer to rest the day before. Having said that, I could well end up playing rugby on Satuerday as we're short of front row cover. ( I play hooker but you'd never guess it from looking at me )

Loving the mud that's about at the moment. For some reason it puts a real smile on my face. And makes the white dog very black. So glad Mrs C has usually gone to work by the time I get back.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • I said a little bit Chimney, not that much  imageimageimage

Is the cut off about 3 days because that's how long it would take me image 

Chimney wrote (see)

Que, I wish I was as fit as my dogs too.......image One of them gets so excited when he see's me putting my trainers on he jumps about the place and then starts nibbling my fingers as I try to do up my laces. Don't think he's quite figured out that if he leaves me alone we can get going sooner!

Aww bless....image

• Crikey Chimney. You do have a strong masochistic streak.

Had fun last night. I just couldn't bear the prospect of running round the streetlit roads in the town and it was a full moon so I ran out to a nearby village, did a loop there and came back - about 4 miles but IN THE DARK. There was enough moonlight that I could see the road, and I chose a route with footpaths so I wasn't rsking death on the roads. It was a bit misty and quite spooky, especially since the village doesn't have streetlights either (council cuts I think). But I really enjoyed it and felt like I had been on an adventure.

• Hello *waves*.  I'm nursing an horrendous hangover and my brain won't work properly so I'm reading all the RW threads instead of working and have just stumbled upon this one image.  I think I could be an outsider!  I've been running since April 2006 (thanks to R4L) and VLM 2012 will be my 6th marathon and it just happens to be the week before my 50th (but don't tell everyone). I'm always going to be a plodder but I can live with that, it's just nice to find others in the same boat.
  • Welcome to the Outsiders minardi,

Black coffee???? image

• <Waves at minardi>

Scream, The Picnic's not as bad as you might think. It's fine until you hit the steps at 26m when your legs, if they had hands, would have them round your throat for asking them to try and run up them.... image

Que, fair play for going out in the dar, must of been a wonderful experience. As I go off road with the dogs all the time, think I'll stick to a head torch though. I trip over enough with that as it is.......

Enjoy your weekends everyone. I'm off to do this on Sunday. Looks a lot of fun.

• Good luck with that Chimney  - rather you than me!

Thank you for the welcome and the black coffee but I couldn't touch it!  Nothing passed my lips yesterday until about 7pm last night when I began to feel a little bit human!  But I'm feeling much betterer today!

Have a good weekend everyone image

• Thought I'd pop in to say hello - not been on board for years but this looks friendly enuff image.  Got a ballot place for my 1st ever maratahon - aim was to be under 4 but boom next day went to get sore shins checked out.  Stress fracture, but started my walk/run till Jan plan today with loads of bike.  fingers crossed I can get ready as it's a dream of mine to do one now I am the four ooh!! image
  • Can I Join

in after 4 failed ballot attempts

Struggling with training plans- regular runner last 10yr ( probably about 30-50k depending state achilles tendon) but run for fun and havent done many races. halfs that ive done are hilly- in about 1:45- 1:55-

Can only train realistically 4 x week- work as Gp and cant fit in running club times with work.

dont seem to fit on training plans- beginer plans ask do less than im currently running- No idea what I could expect to get round in ( 4hr 4:30? !?) or longer?

Doing the path and downs half tomorrow- may give me a better idea on my state fitness?

Need some running friends!

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Hey welcome Siony, Shedboy and Minardi - nice to have you on board.

Siony 4:30 is do-able on your half-times. But you'll obviously need to get quite a few longer runs in. I know what you mean with training plans. I'm looking at more like a 5:30-6hr finish (did 5:31 in 2010 but I'm 4 stone heavier now and struggling to shift the excess weight) but anything slower than 5hrs is usually aimed at people who aren't very active so I tend to to a "faster" schedule and adjust the pace to suit my plodding. So you could look at say a sub-4 plan and see how you fare. Good luck with the half image Let us know how you get on.

Que Sera - that sounds an AWESOME run!!!! It was very moonlit the other night. Beautiful.

Chimney - I'm not too much of a wuss when it comes to weather. I was the crazy one who did a 14 mile run in snow and ice 2 years ago which was fine apart from the mile that was on a 14% hill which reduced me to my hands and knees praying that a car wasn't going to come down the road. It was so icy I couldn't have got out of the way in time and the car certainly wouldn't have stopped. All was fine but it could have been nasty. So my "all-weather running" gets me into trouble sometimes.

Today's run was such an encouragement to me: I did a 12 mile run (got carried away...should have only been 6 - oops) but I did those 12 miles 13 mins faster than 3 months ago. I was chuffed to say the least. Just relaxed, easy running - didn't push it, stopped to drink, walked up a few pesky hills to keep my heart-rate sensible. I'm impressed with this heart rate training stuff. It's made me run most of my runs very very slow but over the months I've noticed that very very slow is now only very slow. Maybe one day I'll graduate to simply "slow" image Has anyone else had any experience of HR training? It seems so weird but for me it's working well so far.

Booked my hotel for Edinburgh marathon today image apparently I get a Kingsized luxurious double with GHD hair straighteners!!! Well it was a tenner per night cheaper than the single bed without the straighteners so I thought I'd upgrade. I reckon I'll need it. But not the hair straighteners.
  • Welcome too to Shedboy and Siony.

Mitiog - great deal on the hotel room there - that really makes sense to be cheaper than a single room image.

I've just come back from a 5 miler - I'm having real knee problems, I think it's my ITB.  It started before Amsterdam, was fine during the marathon and then has been carp ever since.  i can get to about 4 miles before it starts giving me grief.  I've been running with a strap or two on and a lot of ibuprofen gel and pills - went out this morning with none of the above and there seems to be no difference - go figure!  Hubby thinks I should go to the docs, I think I need to find some decent ITB stretches and do a lot of praying! Anybody had this problem and sorted it?

• Home after tha path and down half- beautiful day for a run. Done in 1:48- 4th female. Felt good aswell
    Thanks for the welcome
  • wow - good time siony, well done image
  • mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    well done siony - fab time image
  • Thanks guys- couldn't have gone round twice though! Think I may need to develop an interest in energy gels next!
  • Hi all, 

Welcome to Shedboy and Siony *waves*

Hope you enjoyed the Sodbury Slog, Chimney, and that you've managed to get all the mud off - I bet your skin is peachy this morning  imageimage

Sorry to hear about your IT band Minardi, what a bugger, hope it settles down soon.

Well I'm quite pleased with yesterday's plod. I had a stiff neck, heavy legs and 5x minute long walk breaks but still managed 6 miles in 1.07. It was the first time I had run that far for about 18 months image  and the weather was beautiful image

• The weather was great in London yesterday. It took me by complete surprise because I went out in my thermal tights. image

I've now clocked up enought training miles to get me to Calais, image not that I can really manage it in one go or run on water.

• Welcome new people and well done a great set of weekend runs from everyone. I did 12 miles yesterday but found it really hard going and was pretty slow. It's quite a hilly route and still only 5 days after giving blood so that might have had something to do with it. I tell myself the main thing is that I did complete the run, no matter how slowly I seemed to be going so it should all help get me a bit fitter. And to spur me on I've entered a half mara in northants on Dec 18th and the Ashby 20 in March.

Siony - fab time! Know what you mean about couldn't do it twice though. When I finished my 12 yesterday I felt knacked. And a mara is more than twice as far...

• Wel done Que Sera image

I think sometimes your mind somehow "knows" how far you've got to run and won't let you go any further. When I did the Reading half in 2007 I coudn't have gone another step but I'd already done 17 in training so I knew I could go futher.

Phew - you must have been boiling Sacco. I was out at 8 and coming back the sun felt really warm.

Sacco di Noci wrote (see)

I've now clocked up enought training miles to get me to Calais, image not that I can really manage it in one go or run on water.

Give it time......image

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Don't forget you'l run the mara at perhaps a min per mile slower than half pace image Panic not all - you'll get there....
  • Hi All,

Some excellent training/races going on at the weekend.

Siony, I'm with Scream. Whether I do a 10K, 10m, HM etc I ' Feel ' like I've gone as far as I can. Though as mitiog says the shorter runs are done at a pace I couldn't keep up for a marathon. Yet.

minardi, best wishes for your recovery. VLM is a long way off. Take your time.

The Slog was odd.  I'd gone out very fast because I wanted to get to the mud before 1000 other people had gone through it and knew that I would pay for it later in the race. After two miles I felt finished. I wasn't going very fast by then and it just seemed like so much hard work. Ok, so I hadn't approached it well physically or mentally as it was ' Just a bit of fun ' but feeling so drained after only two miles was quite disturbing. Yes there was a fair amount of mud, ditches to run along, fields to cross etc but even so........ When I saw the results tonight though it kinda explained why I'd felt like that. I came in 170th out of 996 finishers which is punching well above my weight. My speed dropped but the perceived effort level stayed the same. Didn't go for a run today as my calves are completely blown image 

Gentle jog with the dogs tomorrow. I may even wimp out of hills and go along the canal.....

• Wow, brilliant fnishing position Chimney, well done! image