Shoe for mid-foot running with arch support

I am looking for a shoe to train for and run the London Marathon in (that preferably doesn't cost a fortune).

When I had my gait analysis done a year or so ago I was told that I over pronated a lot and was advised to get some new balance shoes with a lot of arch support, which I did. They are OK, but focus most of the cushioning on the heel (which was right for my running style at the time) and are quite heavy.

In the last 6 months, since reading about barefoot running and landing on the mid-foot instead of the heel I have started running in a more minimalist shoe - the Adidas Adizero, which is really light, and which I love.

I have run a half marathon in the Adizero, but think for longer marathon training runs (and possibly for the marathon itself) I should have something with a bit more arch support.

So I am looking for something light, with a minimal difference between heel height and fore-foot height, decent fore/mid-foot cushioning, some arch support and something for people with narrow feet.

Any recommendations welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• If you run on a mid foot strike, surely you no longer over pronate? I thought the whole purpose of barefoot was to have your body prevent the pronation gained by barefoot running- have you had your gait checked since you began barefoot running?

If you wanted arch support, this is not a good idea for barefoot running, "if you stregnthen the arch you weaken the arch" is a fundamental principal that architects agree on and also applies to out feet. If you support the arch the muscles that draw the arch upwards will weaken, your mid foot strike will end up falling inwards when unsupported and your risking creating an overuse injury as a result of the weaker muscles.

If your dead set on arch support but a mid foot strike/barefoot style your going to be searching for a while, you could try the Nike Lunar Glides but your likely to end up back on your heel unless your constantly watching how your feet hit the ground and lets face it, theres more to life (and running!) then constant self analysing!

• Hi Jennn

Thanks - I see your point.

My current adizero are basically just a good sole with a very lightweight mesh upper.

I know that as I get over about 10 miles my technique gets slightly 'less-good' - so I think it is worth getting a bit of support (compared to the zero support I get from the adizero) for longer training runs.

Thanks
  • touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    I run in Newton Motion, they specifically control late stage pronation and are fairly light image
  • touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    jennn wrote (see)

If you run on a mid foot strike, surely you no longer over pronate? I thought the whole purpose of barefoot was to have your body prevent the pronation gained by barefoot running- have you had your gait checked since you began barefoot running?

Thats a nice theory but sadly not the case, I have loose ligaments my feet will roll what ever bit of them I land on!

• touie2 wrote (see)
    jennn wrote (see)

If you run on a mid foot strike, surely you no longer over pronate? I thought the whole purpose of barefoot was to have your body prevent the pronation gained by barefoot running- have you had your gait checked since you began barefoot running?

Thats a nice theory but sadly not the case, I have loose ligaments my feet will roll what ever bit of them I land on!

*Sighs*
    Theres always one! image

• touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    This is an old thread but another thought is the saucony mirage, I've been testing them this week and so far they seem great! 220g (women's ) and supposedly 4mm differential between midfoot and heel!
  • touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    Yes after doing a half marathon in the saucony mirage I definitely prefer Newton Motions the saucony's just felt like too much shoe in comparison to the Newtons despite being the same weight! I've taken my Newton motions up to 20 miles now and will be running a marathon or 2 in them image
  • Im a midfoot striker and i also pronate, im currently running in mizuno waverider 14