Excited new runner

Comments

• Morning chaps!

Stripes - It's the Milton Keynes Half, March 4th. Although it's 2 hours from where we live, it's where I grew up, and where all my family live so we are up there around once a month. Very flat route too image

I have entered the husband too, so that'll be good to spur each other on. He hasn't run as much as I have, but he's been a black belt in judo for 16 yrs so he's pretty fit and strong, which I think will stand him in good stead. I am raring to get on with the training now too!

The 305 looks really good, and is £102 on Amazon at the mo. Unfortunately we don't have a spare hundred quid at present as we're off to Oz at the end of March to visit my SIL so are saving hard for that. I have my birthday in Jan, so maybe I can wangle a combined b'day/Xmas present *scratches chin* and to be fair, the husband will use it on his runs too, as we never get to run together. Watch this space!

Booey - Ah yes of course, I remember you mentioning that program earlier. Have you started any speedwork yet? I think that's what I'm most looking forward to, but also most apprehensive about! I am dying to see my times improve though, so that's a good thing I guess.

I reckon you could definitely get a 2.20 in *nods*, I think we're fairly similar, in fact you're probably a bit quicker than me, and I reckon I could now sustain an 11 min mile over the course (with training obv) which would be 2h 25, so with extra training & speedwork, I would be made up to get anything under that, but under 2.10 would be fantastic. Hard to believe some people run full marathons in that time image

Silver - Sorry to hear you're feeling a tad rough today, and I know you won't like it, but you know you should really rest if you're not well. Maybe see how you go over the day, you don't have to make your decision on the club run now, but if you aren't up to it, get a nice early night in, plenty of rest and you'll be ready to run before you know it. Oh, and apparently having mentholated sweets before a run can really help open up the airways, even if you haven't got a cold, so maybe try that if you do feel up to it. A full pack of Lockets should do it image

The knees are pretty good at the mo actually, and I haven't had any physio yet (gotta love NHS waiting lists!), so since the week before and for the 2 weeks since the GSR, I have only done my LSR. Back on it this week though, I'll be out tomorrow eve and club run Thurs, so I guess that will show me how they really are!!

I know what you mean about seeming like everyone is pushing the boundaries, but I really only did that by starting the club run, and by running with a friend. She really helped me push my distances, and my non-stop running times. I also had the GSR, so I kind of HAD to do it! Maybe you need something like that in your diary to spur you on?

Mal - Hehe, same here I reckon with my 2 little ladies! How old are your kids?
  • Thanks for the advice. I'm eating lots of oranges right now and feeling much better so I'll probably make my run afterall image. I guess I can always stop in the middle if it's too much.

Booey I don't think I've been without a sniffle of some sort since I had kids! Ie 7 years. You ate so lucky avoiding all the bugs and bogeys that come with 2 little boys! image
  • Hi all,

Suzie, if you look back a few pages Mal posted a link to the 305 with its Amazon price analysis. Very useful tool if you do ever consider buying one.

Amazing that we there are now four of us on the thread all doing our first HM within a month of each other, all broadly in the south and all different!

Silver, hope you feel better make the run tonight. I get no sympathy if I ever get 'man-flu' I think the ladies on here let you off lightly  image

Watch out for the late news tonight folks, the 'tights' will be seen in public for the first time at around 7.00 tonight so I expect to be in a cell at the local nick by about 7.15 image

• We'll be watching Stripes. You'll be surprised how comfy they are to run in. In a couple of weeks you won't want to take them off. You'll be wearing them under your jeans and everything! ....or is that just me? image

• Thats just you Silver and your strange fetish hahahahahahaha image
  • I wouldn't call that strange Booey. I'm just in touch with my feminine side that's all! image

Anyway you should see what I wear at the weekends! Haha image
  • On a more serious note I was bloody hot last week in my tights long sleeve base layer, long sleeve T and running jacket. I think that's why I struggled. It's been beautiful here all day and really mild so I'm defo going for the stripped down version this evening. Shorts and a T with my flourescent jacket will be more than enough.
  • I still haven't started wearing my coat yet image I wear a long sleeved wicking top and sleeveless hi viz thin gillet over that.  After about a minute I am totally warm, also not really needed to wear full leg tights.

The hi viz coat I have is very thin so I think I will need another coat for peak winter image

Cant wait to wear my new cap tonight image

also did I tell you my OH got me a light that you clip onto your cap peak from the pound shop haha everytime I go run club they always say "oh how good the pound shop light is still working" hahahaimage

• Well another club run done and excuse me for a minute while I say Aaaaaaaaaaargh! I hate HILLS!

Ran a couple of energy sapping beauties this evening which I hated but otherwise another great run of about ... wait a minute... I forgot to press start on my GPS. Poop! From the tingling in my legs I am guessing at least 9km or about 5.5m for you Booey. image

So glad I went along as my head and throat feel totally clear now. The fresh air has done me the power of good.

Booey how did you get on? Stripes did you wear the tights? Just waiting for 10oclock news to see if you've been arrested image. I wore mine as it was chilly when we started out.
  • Just got out of the Police Station. The ladies leaving the local Bingo Hall have decided not to press charges...Phew

• Haha. Lol. Busted by the Blue Rinse Brigade image
  • Haha image

Yep I too had a good run with the club, we did 4.53 miles, luckily only after a couple of mins I remembered to switch the garmin on image we are all useless at remembering that image  I actually ended up running with a couple of faster people which I feel did me good as I pushed myself more than normal. They were also good to me and slowed up in places image  Lady who has the hip problem had someone else running with her so I thought no point in me running slower aswell, I shall be running with her Thurs night though.

It was definately colder last night so I wore tights and also another sweatshirt over my wicking top, it matches my hi viz gillet image haha how sad, oh and also matches the new cap image very sad lol

Feel on quite a high at the moment, after my LSR on Sat and having no aches or pains since image I can see that there is defo progress which is good image

• All sounds good Booey. You must be a model of fashionable running gear being all coordinated and that. Probably make the cover of RW next week TeeHee image

By the way I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. How long does it take?

I also feel great at the mo. ache free and cold free this morning. I'm really pleased that I'm pushing myself more with the club and the LSR. This weekend Im defo going for a 10k solo early doors. Maybe with a short 5k at the office tomorrow lunch although feel so good today I could easily get out there now.
  • They may wait and send you the next issue, I got one a couple of weeks ago so the next one will be in a couple of weeks image 

Its great to feel good, especially when you know you are putting in the effort image as we all progress we are going to get our down times but we have each other to encourage on image we are tough we can do it image

• It's good feeling fit. It's now become my default setting rather than feeling tired and bloated!

There was a group of 5 yuffs on the street when we were running last night. They were taking the p as all 50 of us ran by and then they decided it would be funny to run round with us. Unfortunately they managed about 500 yards before they had to stop! Haha. Probably spend most of their time on the Xbox. We carried on for another 5k. image
  • Hi all image Well done on all the progress! well I've had a pants wk run wise so far! Monday I thought I wouldn't run and I'd try and do the two club runs this wk tues/thurs then Monday evening I found out I had a meeting for an advanced riding course I'm doing so that meant no run yesterday.. Fortunately! because yesterday I got the sore throat and last night at the meeting it went on to be a sneeze fest and since 10 last night I've had soooo much snot it's not funny!! image well it is but I ain't running like this.. Would look a right state by the end of it hahaha I did run with a cold before and it was ok, I think if it's in ur head it's ok if it's on ur chest it's a no no
    I'm gonna have to put some real effort in to catch up with u all now! Time for early morning runs again! image
    I found when I was running beginning of the year I never needed a jacket although I would run with it tied round my waist image
  • Hehe, I love this thread, v amusing! image Meant to say Booey, I did chuckle heartily St the thread mentioned a few days back, started by Ghostrider, funny as!!

I really need to sort out my running gear, I have no hi-vis anything yet, tending to wear my white running jacket but I get hot really quickly so I don't feel I need it yet. I think I'll look around for a hi-vis gilet for now.... *trundles off to Google*

Turns out I won't be club running this week image as the husband has volunteered to run the kids judo sessions in the absence of the boss this week - I mean really!! How very dare he interfere with my training!! So I'm gonna attempt a 5ish-k run this eve, then it'll be LSR on Sun.

Silver - well done on the run, sounds like a really good one!! We get that too, yoofs think it's the height of hilarity to run akongside us. The last lot did quite well actually LMAO, but still nowhere near the 6 miles we did, mwahahaaaaa!! I waited a couple of weeks for my first RW issue too, now I'm wishing the next one would hurry up.

Booey - well done on your run too, sounds like we were on fire last night!! Loving the sound of the kit, v envious - I need to order some new kit! And you're right, I think a lot of us are feeling pretty good right now, which is great but it's also great to support each other through the rough patches.

Stripes - loling at the bingo ladies! How were the tights?

Sabbie - one of those weeks by the sound of it?! Did you never really wear your jacket? I wonder if I would as I heat up really quickly. I might get a cheap one to start with, Karrimor or something & see how it goes before splashing out.

Right, almost time to start my working week, I'll check in tonight after my 5k, catch you all laters!
  • Hi all,

Well done on  the club runs Booey and Silver.

Bad news on the cold Sabbie, don't think I would run with one but I'm a bloke so it would automatically be upgraded to flu image

Suzie, I bought a runnnig jacket, wore it once and not used it since as I got too sweaty, got myself a Gilet instead and wore it last night, much better since it gives the body a chance to breathe.

Legs a bit achy after last night.

We did 11.46kms(Garmin now totally on kms since I worked out  how to change it)

I managed to turn it on and have it ready to rumble from the start this week image

Was a bit strange because we ran a lot of my usual route and I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous twice when I have been venturing into the unknown image

Tights were very comfortable but did wear shorts on top else the Bingo ladies may well have complained for real image

Not sure whether to go on Thursday as I want to be as fresh as possible for Sunday's race as I'm running with a mate from the match who is ten years younger than me and much quicker!

• Stripes - 500th post on the thread! I can see now how other threads get so big so quickly! I'd be inclined to give Thurs a miss, but then I have had great results after a few days off.
  • Hi Suzie. Lol at your Mwahaha! I would have made that noise myself as we were running passed them but I couldn't speak at the time. image

Good luck with your run tonight. I'm jealous of people having time off during the week when the kids are at school. It would be so nice to have just a bit of time at home without them - if you know what I mean.

Don't knock the cheap Karrimor stuff too I'm like a running advert for their gear! image

Sorry to hear about the cold Sabbie. Sounds grim! Thought Id be the same way today but last nights run seems to have turned it round. That and I had so many oranges yesterday my skins changed colour! I look like I've had a spray tan this morning!
  • Stripes - see how you feel on Thurs, maybe a short run on your own or just wait until your race

• I was going to say give Thursday a miss Stripes but of the runs on Sunday that's still 2 days rest do you'll probably be ok. Just take it easy as Booey suggested and you should be fine.
  • I wish I did get time alone Silver, unforch my littlest one is 4 next week & she's only at pre-school, so I only get a Mon morning respite at the mo as all her other sessions are at the end of the week. But as of Jan, she goes Tue morning too, helloooo speed work image

Haha, I may well attempt a mwahahaaaaa at the yoofs next time they ambush us!

Good to know the Karrimor stuff is recommended, it's definitely more my price bracket!

Have you really been actually Tangoed? How many oranges did you eat??
  • My little one is 4 too Suzie but he's now doing 5 mornings a week til 12pm but I'm not at home when he's there! In fact I'm only at home when the kids are there so I don't have much chance to get out unless Mrs S is feeling generous with her time.

I'm not really tangoed lol but I did eat about 6 oranges yesterday. Seems to have done the trick though. image
  • Silver, I bet its done the trick in more ways than one image

Not sure what to do, may take Booeys advice and just do a short run on my own. I know I can't do Tuesday next week though as I'm going to a gig so will probably see how I feel tomorrow afternoon.

I get really upset and annoyed when I hear about some of the things people have to put up with when out running. One of the ladies at the club was telling me that they once had an incident where some idiot on a bike tried to ram into one of the front runners, not knowing that there were thirty odd people coming up behind! 

• I know what you mean Stripes. One of the mums at school runs at 5am (I know mad isn't she!) but she has had to vary the times as it seems she has started to bump into a bloke in the same place each day and he tries to follow her or run with her. She's been running with a friend so it hasn't been a problem but now she runs alone she's v nervous. I said Id run with her if she likes but not at 5am.

He must be someone local. I think I would have had a quiet word with the police if I was her. It would make me very nervous and I'm 6foot 4!
  • Blimey you lot have been quiet this afternoon. Was it something I said?
  • Sorry Silver, couldn't resist!

Well I did my 5k, 5.3 to be precise, & it equated to a 5k in 29m 9s, a PB for me! (5m50s/km or 9m23s/mile) I didn't enjoy it like I normally do though, found it pretty tough & I know it's cos I was running alone & in the dark :-/ Ah well, it's done & I'm pleased with the PB!

Anyone else out tonight?