Edinburgh marathoners past and present

Comments

• Hmmmmm yup thems the types we want to shove somewhere dark and leave to talk to the walls....... chin up you've had a couple of belting runs and lots of laughs at my 'older' expense on Facebook recently image

If my running goes wrong again I'll be jumping as only thing that seems to be going right at moment!

2.5 miles run with dog tonight, followed by 23K on Ski Machine, so a good time has been booked with my name at the 'Brass Monkey Half' in January.

Now was that zero or one mr HMRC man image

• Thanks smiffie image

As you say at least my running has temporarily become enjoyable again. Feels great to be able to do it again. Cruise control was a lovely gear to engage for the 1st time in a long time on Saturday.

You did 23k on a ski machine. image and people say I'm odd for going a long way on the dreadmill.  Did you have it set on downhill or cross country? image

I gave you a compliment the other night and said you didn't look your age. image some folk always think I'm having a pop. image

• Not that I'm wanting to cheat but I'd try 41 this time image

• Think I have a good time with my name on it booked in Munich next October. image

http://mail.acidcow.com/pics/20090921/oktoberfest_girls_2009_03.jpg

Cracking water stations if anybody is up for a wee run. 10k, half and full marathon all on offer on the same day if you fancy one, another or for Markk and the other Ultra freaks who don't think marathons or halfs are long enough for them all of them!!!!!
  • Smiffie is it not a bit weird our running slumps almost started on the same day and finished on the same day about 3 years later.  Did you have a voodoo caniggia33 doll to keep you company when you were in your slump???? image

• And no before someone tries to get me into trouble and suggests I was guessing smiffie's age with the number 41 no I wasn't.  She is a lot younger than that and looks even younger than she actually is. imageimage
  • Hells bells I've just got up the big "h" word near my house without having to stop and walk or spew about 400m from the top. 3 miles up and 3 miles down average pace 6:45/mile.  Really what is going on this week with my running this week has just been weird????? image

http://www.kespia.com/pictures/Mr_Bounce_.jpg

• LOL Caniggia33 do you want a ladder to climb out of that hole image

just easy 4 with dog leading the way tonight, might venture out and dip my toe with Reps tomorrow night, or is that getting carried away?

• It depends if the rep has brought pens and post it notes.  I only speak to reps if they cross my palm with either of those two forms of unofficial currency. They get 30s per biro and a minute for a pack of post-its. image
  • Evening all. Mince run up the WHW today. First 15 went ok, but last 7 were not so much fun and suspect I may have bruised heel - too much Tarmac/ compact surfaces in trail shoes over the last couple of weeks. So not pleased.

Been trying to get the old Mizuno Nirvana 6s as the new 7s seem to be much wider and with a higher collar - why do shoe manufactures dick around with what was a great design?

Can I fancy the Aberfeldy marathon next year as the weather is guaranteed to be crap ie pishing with rain at worst and cold at best. Besides as Smifffie knows from Berlin last year I can't be trusted with German beer per-race.... Worst expo of my life, hungover and having to deal with thousands of people in a confined space. Aberfeldy has only one pub from memory so should be ok
  • Seriously do they have a marathon in Aberfeldy????? image  You must have to do about 20 laps of the town there is feck all square there.  image  I don't want to put a damper on your spirits but I was in that one pub once and I'm pretty sure they had Becks on draught and in bottles in the fridge.  image
  • I hope the beer you drank in Berlin expo wasn't the beer you got drunk on.  That was Erdinger alcohol free you big shandy pants. image

• I wonder of Frau Scmidt braved running those reps image
  • Just found that race good luck to the organisers filling that one.  £27 for the half marathon as an early burd entry. Its cheaper to run the Weegie half the week before and they shut all of Glasgow city centre down for you.  Thats a pretty busy road to try to shut down a few weeks after the Etape has ground the whole area to a halt.  Watch out for tacks on the road bursting the airbubbles in your trainers the sabotteurs will be out in force!!!!!!!! image
  • Afternoon all.

Aberfieldy marathon thingy was meant to run this year (think you can find it under the name of Perthshire marathon) but the PR was too late seemingly. The route goes through some rich blokes estate so no need to worry about a zillion laps of the town square.
  • howdi folks why is it jus as i get over one thing another comes along to take its place? This time it's the dreaded lurgy which im getting kinda bored of now lol image

markk mizuno have indeed arsed around with their shoes and as you point out have increased the area around the heel. its meant to make for a more snug comfortable fit but i found it too high and have had to go back and start again with shoes. so bliddy annoying eh? I've worn Inspires for years and they've been great but I'll never wear another mizuno shoe again unless they revert back - hmph!

schools off today, oh joy! Have youngest and me lurgied so it's no fun for anyone else ho hum image

• Evening all! image
    Well, I have been gone a long time - sorry about that.  I have managed a few small runs recently.  Hoping to manage maybe 3 miles this weekend - just taking it very slowly and gradually as I don't want to put myself off.  Why is it that anytime I take time out from running, whenever I go back to it I always think it's really hard, but also wonder why I don't do it more often?!  Hmmm.......
    So, anyway, I was really chuffed with myself on Wednesday.  I went for a run that took in a big hill which I managed to run all the way up for the very first time! image  It was a moment of sheer pride in myself!

I hope everyone is well and running happy!

Jac image

• Hey Jac good to hear you're back on the road - keep up the good work image  I'm a bit worried though that we've managed to scare everyone away lol image  That or they are all busy watching and pledging to Children in Need image
  • Eeeeeeeeeeeee its Bedshaped and Jac both on the same day loverley to see you both. image 

Children in need sucks.  Why do people who are not funny or entertaining 363 days a year think they are hillarious on comic relief and children and need nights?  The only thing in its favour is at least Lenny Henry isn't on this one.  Newsreaders please stick to reading the news. image

Jac good to see you made good use of your time in Fife to run up the uphell time trial course of the Tour of Fife to make up for bottling in 2 years ago.  imageimage

Bedshaped hope the girlyflu is better in the morning. image  When you say you are going to have to start again with shoes I take it you just mean your running trainers not all shoes.  You haven't reverted to booties or ones fastened with velcro have you? image

Had a rank rotten day capped off with a manky migraine.  Just spent the last 4 hours asleep on sofa.  Suppose I'd better go to bed now. image

• 10k race in the morning at Glamis Castle.  Back feels really stiff after longish drive but can't really use stiffness as an excuse after a long journey for a poor run if I have one as the last 10k I ran was a similar amount of time after a 41 hour commute to run Bridge to Brisbane and I ran pretty well there.  Think I will have an early night seeing as I will have to give up my sunday morning long lie. image

I think Smiffie must have ran away with the sales rep she was talking about on Monday night. image

• You have to love charity races. 4th place finish and a 39s 'PB' for a race that may beve been a teency weency bit short of 10k. How did we all get PBs before charities started measuring courses. (I use the term measure loosely image ). If only charities would put on marathons I might run a BQ time again image
  • Ha ha PB charity races sound ace. Well done Caniggia 4th place eh? No bad for a sunday in November image Guess the migraine vanished then or maybe you were trying to run away from it lol

I'm marginally better. For the first time in a week I've managed a couple of cups of tea and a meal! It's been great for that pre-Christmas weight loss so come Crimbo day I look forward to replacing all the calories I didn''t consume this last week. This week I may even considering getting out of bed and more ambitious still may dust off my trainers!!

Yeah it was back to the drawing board from a running shoe perspective rather than reverting back to booties. That said they hold a certain appeal image Managed to get sorted out a couple of weeks ago then hurt my foot then got lurgy so whether or not they are any good is anyone's guess image

Laters....

• Evening all. Heel bruise means enforced lay off for a week. Sick of fecking injuries. Feel like every time I get in to some good running it is crashed after a month or so with some injury or other.... So it's back to the gym to listen to crud music and working out which of the so called gym instructors gets the "Tit of the Day" award for hanging round the female members and generally doing feck all.....
  • Hi all

Hey Jac good to see your back out there again image I've felt like that before too.

Markk I can sympathise with you, although all my injuries have not been major stuff, its such a pain to get motivated and ready and then you get knocked back again!!

Well I got my new shoes yesterday, even after my little runs on the treadmill in the shop my hip was making itself known today, not exactly pain but still there!!! The video showed my left foot was kinda caving in the way on landing with my existing shoes so am hoping that was the problem and my new ones will do the trick and get my alignment back to normal!!! Time will tell and fingers crossed! Will give it a couple of days and then go out for a test mile.
  • Good evening everybody. image

Nice to see you have some new slick tyres to sort your running out.  I don't get hurt that often I think because I'm a skinny freak and weigh about the same as fresh air but did one of those analysis things and came out clutching some trainers with extra support.  They weigh a tonne but it is amazing how much less stiffness I have after long runs in my calfs, ankles and knees than I used to.  Actually come to think about it I wore my trail shoes which don't have that support yesterday as the course was half mud half tarmac and my legs have been suffering more than they should do after a 10k.  (honest gov it was 10k!!!!!!).  Good luck with your test drive in a couple of days time. image

I'm off work tomorrow as a result of yet another cancellation.  What the hell do you do with a Tuesday off???  Even alcoholics don't go out drinking on a Monday night. image  Good to see the December rotas came out for one of the companies to see that on the days I have been cancelled they have replaced me on my own with 2 company employed pharmacists in a cost cutting exercise.  God I wish I was earning more than twice their combined saleries and travel expenses.  How long do you think it will take to work out their cost cutting is costing twice as much as it does at the moment and they will still get less done in 20 hours combined than I manage in 10  hours on my jack jones.  image 

I suppose I could go to the gym tomorrow.  Could be fun.  Ding ding round 2!!!!!! image

• Thats just weird just searched tinternet to see if I could find some piccies of the race I was at yesterday and one of me popped up on google piccies.  Bizarrely it was a picture of me running at templeton woods a fortnight ago not one of me running at glamis.  How the hell does that happen. image
  • Bored bored bored bored bored. image
  • Morning all..... very bored indeed..... image.... pishing down and winter has truely arrived here on the West coast.....

• Bored here as well image

Haven't run since Sunday, although I did tackle and manage 3 miles!  Woo hoo image  How I long for the days when I could run 6 miles just for fun!  Ah well, perseverance I suppose, is what it's gonna take.  Wish there was a magic formula though that didin't involve hard and demotivating runs in amongst the good ones!

Anyway, hope everyone else is well.

Happy running image