Conwy Half Marathon

Ran this race last year, absolutely stunning.  If anyone is dithering about whether or not to enter, do it.  Superbly organised, great views and an awesome down hill after you've negotiated the "slight gradient" that is the Great Orme  A start and finish at the Castle, can't get better  Love it.  Very oddly this is still my PB course.  (1.38)

Comments

• Well said John , Wonderful race !  
  • 3 weeks to go . 1400 runners entered . Guess no one wants to talk about this race .image
  • This will be my first ever half-marathon. As a local runner, I get to run the course quite regularly - in all weathers, it is a simply stunning route. Can't wait!
  • Does anyone know the closing date to enter?
  • Think you can still enter Jon , but be quick . No entries on the day . Well over 1500 runners signed up .
  • Cheers Kevin, I have my entry in!!! Cant wait for this one.

• imageWhat date is it I put it in the runners world search but nothing would like to do this as I do a lot of running in wales.
  • It's on the 20th November - if you type in Conwy Half Marathon, you should find the details. The searches don't always bring up every race, for some reason. Further entry details can also be found via the RunWales website.image
  • Is ANYONE looking forward to this race ? Never known a thread be so quiet .

It will be my 3rd time at this event and is a favourite of mine .

Was only running this year because my son entered , bur he has pulled out with an ankle injury .

I said Chester marathon was going to be my last race , so maybe I will end with this one .

See you on Sunday .

• There's a bit more activity on the facebook site, but I do like the banter that's normally on these threads
  • Love this race to cant wait for Sundayimage
  • EllieJEllieJ ✭✭✭
    Who else is running this tomorrow? Good luck guys. Still not sure whether I'm going to go for it. I keep entering and never going...
  • Yeah, go for it Ellie, cracking race.  Does anyone know whether there'll be safety pins at registration, as I've lost mine ?
  • EllieJEllieJ ✭✭✭

Oh god, is that something else to remember?! Have a good race John.

• That was my first half marathon - and my word, I absolutely loved it. I guess we got very lucky with the weather - it was glorious and the sea views were almost as breathtaking as running up the Orme (or that sandy stretch on the cycle paths).

I can see me coming back next year.
  • EllieJEllieJ ✭✭✭

Well done Steve! The weather was perfect, wasn't it. I didn't make Conwy in the end *hangs head in shame* but ran a sheepish 8 miles a bit further up the coast instead.

Well done to everyone who made it!

• Well it was also my first half marathon and I will certainly be entering again next year. 

The weather was perfect and, despite the sandy bit near the end being tough going, I enjoyed it immensly.  Also seemed well organised

• What a great race! Yep the sand was tough. The hills was tougher but still managed to knock off 6 minutes from my pb. Really thrilled!
    The weather was fab and i swear ive caught the sun.
    A great afternoon well organised and the chocolate digestives went down a treat.
    I paid extra for a technical t shirt - well worth it!
    Definitely one for next yr ! Just make sure you do plenty of hill runs !!
    xx
  • this was my first time at Conwy. And oh my. That hill was not a hill it was a mountain!!!
    Started the morning sat in a lovely Victorian cafe having a flap jack and coffee. Got there extra early as wasn't sure on traffic.
    Found the sand difficult but hay ho. fist 4/5 miles went to plan. Then the mountain appeared. Getting around that first corner and seeing what was ahead did make me swear out loud!!
    But the views where spectacular. I found myself at one point running along the pavement looking over the wall watching the sea lap up over the rocks. Just lovely.
    On the plus side i managed the down hill mile in 8mins 20! Non of the others where near this may i add. And i did finish it. 4 mins behind the time i wanted but i finished it.
    Paid extra for the tech t-shirt and it was really worth it.
    Couldn't manage the biscuit, was having second thoughts on eating that flap jack!
    Will i be back next year? Ummm give me a few days and i'm sure i'll be saying yes.
    Bexs
  • PPPP ✭✭

What a great race. A bit slower than I'd hoped but really enjoyed (?!) it.

Yes the sand on the path was tough and so was the Orme but what great scenery.

Big thanks to the organisers and all the marshals. Great support around the course aswell.

I'll be back next year.

• Wonder how many of us made a weekend of it? I did, and stayed at the Castle Hotel for a couple of nights. Not cheap, but well worth it. Made for a very nice weekend away.
  • Steve, we also made a weekend of it, staying also at the Castle Hotel, originally planning to stay only on Sunday night but made a last minute change and stayed over on Saturday which in the end was the right choice.

I surprised myself by knocking a staggering 8mins off my half marathon  pb only set 4 weeks ago at the Bupa Great Birmingham Run. The hill is a bit of a shocker, but I think the worse part of it was running through sand.

Unfortunatly no biscuits when I finished, but the Fisherman's Chip shop was well worth the visit.

• Bloody hell Larry, small world! Well done on knocking 8 minutes off. I'd agree with the sand being the worst part. As it was my first half-marathon in a race (done plenty of 10, 11, 12 and even the odd 14 miler in training but only as long, slow runs), a mate of mine helped me pace it.

I started flagging a bit at the top of the hill but got back quickly then the sand on the way back was worse IMO so I'm inclined to agree with you. My pacer was telling me to hang on in and I remember saying I thought I'd be fine as soon as we got off the loose stuff (the none-too-tightly packed gravel afterwards wasn't much better either, but there wasn't much of it). Turned out I was right, as my last mile was the quickest one on the flat.

What did you think of the Castle? I thought it was very nice - quite stylish and whilst the food was expensive it was rather good too.