motivational crisis help!!!

"what the hell am i doing this for?"
so ran my thoughts on doing a fast 8k and suffering because of it. Have lost the motivation to get out there and go for it..........does anybody else feel this way from time to time?......will i get the excitement back again?.........is this normal?.......how do u overcome the lack of interest? and all the other relevant questions
please advice greatly appreciated.

thanks delsrunner

by the way have my first 10k in 3 weeks time and wondering why i entered now!!

Comments

• Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    Hiya delsrunner,

I would have given up last Christmas if it hadn't been for the fact that I had a race to train for. It was racing that really gave me a true sense of what running was all about - basically for me it's a celebration of life (with my fellow runners) and an exploration of my physical limitiations.

Yes, it's normal to lose motivation. I still have my occasional doubts; especially after an inexplicably bad training run. I always bounce back within a few days. Experience has tought me that the next enjoyable run is never far away. Don't be afraid of taking two or even three rest days if that's what it takes to recover.

When you finish your 10K in three weeks and experience the exhilaration and euphoria with your fellow runners you'll have the answer to all your questions.

Best of luck...and remember that we wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't FUN.

Scotty
  • I think it happens to all of us. I normally take a week or so off and do some different stuff down the gym, or completely change my runs. Once you get back into running it feels great.

Course, with a 10K in 3 weeks it's maybe not the best time to take time off! But I'm sure once you get round the 10K and get into the race atmosphere you'll feel totally different though.
  • Yes, that's what i do - take a complete week off and dust off the bike or dig out the swim suit, or just go walking round the local parks, or even just sit at home and catch up on reading and munching twiglets and pringles!! Usually after a week off i'm raring to go again.
    I thnk we just get a bit stale.