Fink for Outlaw 2012

Comments

• Running Postie wrote (see)

Cake heres a big fat SPAM to youimage

image I've start doing door to door next. image
    TJ1004 wrote (see)
    Thanks soup as well think I will be same as you. Probably forget to unclip and topple over!!

Word of cation about the feed stations on the bike. for the 2010 race I tried to be flash and frown away the water bottle and pick up up still on the bike and clipped in. It didn't go well and i crashed, hurting nothing but my pride and scaring a few folks on the feed station. After the race when I took my bike to be checked out the nice man at the shop told me in horror that my front brakes where completely smashed up. I hadn't even noticed and they must have been for about 95 miles of the race. image

Basically if you are going to get a bottle on the go like on the previous page practice it. An extra 10 or 20 seconds stopping and picking up a bottle isn't that much if you consider what might happen if you don't through. image

Oh and you can stop and have a fag at the feed station to. image

• That would be my thinking - play it safe -grabbing a bottle at speed isn't that easy - slowing right down to do it is pretty easy but doesn't save you much over stopping and at least then you are safe.  

Unlike these trying to ride and put their shoes on at the same time. 

• Orca, picked up on you not taking rest on Monday... as I work shifts I can see that Two long training sessions at weekend will annoy the household!!

I've just revised my schedule to give Sunday off. Moved the Friday run to Monday and swapped the swim /bike, swim/run days about to keep the alternate pattern. There's going to be times that I will move the long bike during the dark evenings as I just don't fancy a full days work then setting out for 2-3hrs in the dark

Mr Fink says he's worked the plan scientifically but there must be some room for change??

Nutrition/hydration is fascinating reading and some good tips for us first timers. liked the day before sports drink hydration idea... and looking forward to coke and crisps!!

• Change the plan. Go on. Be a devil image
  • ....and can anyone suggest a link to a triathletes World mag subscription?

All the ones on site lead to Runners World or a selection of Hearst mags. Even the advert in the November issue gives Hearst phone number and they don't own triatletes world now..... has it gone out of business?

• Mr Fink’s plan is scienceifially done and all that but don’t forget it’s a generic plan don’t be afraid to chop and change depending on your situation. The plan is good and works well in a perfect world but we don’t live in one. Important thing is to get the training in unless your not actually doing the training it’s not the end of the world if you change some of the dates to sort your needs.
  • popsider wrote (see)

Unlike these trying to ride and put their shoes on at the same time. 

Not sure if that is funny or alarming! Completely clueless!  For what it is worth I put my cycling shoes on before unracking the bike - must take all of 15 secs to do so and I am convinced I would waste more time coasting on the bike getting my feet into the shoes on the go.
  • I will still disagree with the stop or go thing on bottles

You have time *now* to practice picking them up on the go, you dont have to go through at 20mph but you will waste time by stopping and unclipping and refilling
    From someone that has missed the cut off by seconds this becomes a key point.

• Plus the Pirate water hole this year was right at the top of the only hill on the course and i was shagged when i got to the top so 20 mph was never going to happen....more 13-15 tops....get practicing...you know on the day you will try and copy everyone else anyway.
  • image It really isn't difficult to ride with one hand and grab a bottle with the other.

Stopping is likely to be more dangerous as others ride through not expecting you to stop right in front of them.  Bear in mind not everyone will be collecting a bottle from every station so some will be flying through and won't appreciate a load of congestion.

Slow drop but don't stop must be the safest solution.   

• LOL on that tri clipimage its an ironman unless you are at the pointy end put your shoes on get em the straps tightened just right then get on your bike comfort is all important over 112miles

looking  back on 2010 the aid stations were very frequent especially on the run and if I was doing the event again I would use them and not weigh the bike down carrying my own stuff, and I loved the crips and coke during the last half of the maraimage

• thats a BIG IF I was doing it againimage

• Cake wrote (see)
    image I've start doing door to door next. image
    TJ1004 wrote (see)
    bloody h*ll you'll be after my job nextimage
  • Flat Foo.ted wrote (see)
    Plus the Pirate water hole this year was right at the top of the only hill on the course and i was shagged when i got to the top.
    By whom, my friend? i remember Barley being up there... Schmunkee too... possibly Aitch. I even tried stopping to fix my broken tribars and nobody so much as gave me a reach-around! image
  • Hi all. Hope no one minds me crashing the party. I had planned to do the outlaw next year but the date clashes with a family party so will be going to bolton 3 week later but going to use the fink plan.

Made my 1st attempt at ironman this year in frankfurt. Missed a chunk of training due to a stomach problem and spent the rest of the time trying to catch up. AS a result my training failed to follow any pattern and eventually my iron dream ended on the bike course in frankfurt when i was pulled from the course after about 60 mile.

Learnt alot of lessons in germany and am now ready to try again. The thing that will drive me on over the next couple of months is the feeling i had stood at the finish line watching all the other finishers come down the red carpet. No training session can hurt as much as that did.
    Look forward to sharing my journey with everyone here
  • HEllo Macca.  Sorry Frankfurt didn't work out... but crossing the line at Bolton will be all the sweeter for it.  And I for one will remember your post when I need a bit of an extra push!
  • Macca, everybody learns lessons in Frankfurt   image

• fat macca wrote (see)
     The thing that will drive me on over the next couple of months is the feeling i had stood at the finish line watching all the other finishers come down the red carpet. No training session can hurt as much as that did.

That has to be one of the all time great motivational lines for when the tough gets going.  Thanks, and good luck for Bolton. image

• Soup Dragon wrote (see)

Bottle feed about 40 seconds into video

awesome, my old clubmate is looking right at the camera at ca 1:55, bright green kit (and in the image that the video is frozen on before you click the link). image
  • ah Fat Macca...i've been there my friend and the result you'll get at bolton will be twice as sweet.
    we live close to the imuk course and mrsb is making her first attempt this year so drop me a pm if you want to get in touch for some training rides etc as we'll be out all the time riding and riding it.

good luck with the training mate
  • "Missed a chunk of training due to a stomach problem and spent the rest of the time trying to catch up. AS a result my training failed to follow any pattern and eventually my iron dream ended on the bike course in frankfurt when i was pulled from the course after about 60 mile."

Yeah.

I was telling a friend about the "walk of shame" picking up my white "dry clothes" bag from the IM village the next morning at Bolton 2009. (For the uninitiated, the ones that didn't make it get their bags returned to IM village for collection the next day)

The "sorry for your luck" looks on peoples faces as you slink back up the lane to the car with your white bag slung over your shoulder. I felt a total failure. The reasons are unimportant.

Have it next time though. Barlos was a great comfort, oddly enough, when he said, "Yeah, I failed my first too". Then I realised it didn't matter anymore.
  • ah dustboy i was there...2010....my white bag had been sent to T2 where i went to pick up my bike....there were loads of people (that year they let you pick up the bikes the day after)in finishers tee shirts and it was totally gutting!
  • We'd planned to stay in frankfurt for a couple of days after the event but after the1st day we left it felt like I was the only person there not wearing a finishers t shirt.
    Thanks for the offer andy. I'd planned on coming across to ride the course in the new year would be good to have some local knowledge
  • Now that I have gone and entered I better start thinking about training, so here I am! If my training is anything like last years when I very vaguely followed the Fink plan it will be race at every opportunity until April when the local race season ends and then suddenly worry about cycling enough for a IM. Might do less running races this year!

I did my first IM in Austria this year and have to do another cos I really do think I can go quite a bit quicker now I have the experience of one behind me and anyway I need a excuse to wear my pirate kit again.

Lets hope we all have a smooth journey to July 01!

• imageimage I've hurt my elbow. Its the weirdest thing, I've absolutely no idea how or what I've done, but my elbow is agony if I try to extend my arm, or if I try to bent it completely.

Its mildly painful all the time, and I am try to keep it bent at about 90 degrees, which seems most comfortable.

Bloody hell, of all the injuries I though I might get........ I never though of my sodding elbow!!! , and we've not even started Fink properly yet image.

Its been 2 days, and ice and Ibuprofen is not making any difference

Any ideas anyone?????

Sorry it's a bit off topic image

• image ((hug)) very easy to give you carp advice from the internet get yourself to a physio or someone else who can give you grown up advice if it's still playing up. Gut thinking is a classic tennis elbow?
  • Cake, of course you are right. Looks like I'm off to the physio image
  • image First time for everything. imageimage
  • Dave, I'm off to Austria this year. Any words of wisdom to impart?