2012 Marathon thread

Comments

• Pete - what's your HM time?

Rachael - Garmin will sorting your pacing issues out. I use a 305 and have done for a few years now.
  • Good luck Pete.

Well done helen, Congrats

Rachel, I have the 305 too. Great for me bur Mrs AGF thinks its too large on the wrist for her and cannot wear, so worth trying one on maybe. 

• AGF does make a good point. I have small wrists, and always wear the garmin over a sweatband. Otherwise it seems to press on the bones and is uncomfortable.

I'm going to be unbearable today, yesterday's happiness, but with extra energy.
    *bounce bounce bounce*

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Rachael - yes definitely get a garmin.  You'll never look back.  I've got a 305.  Mine had two sizes of straps and its easy to change if you need the smaller one.  AGF When my smaller one broke I had to use the larger strap so wore it over a sweatband and it was fine. 

• Minni always wears wristbands and a sweatband like the guy from Dire Straits.....

Or maybe it's Kids from Fame image
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    OMG its true! image    I'm an 80s kid at heart!
  • AGF / Helen,  Thanks for your support...  I love this forum. 

I will keep adding to the the miles bit by bit, just got to plan the route and not try and do too much too soon.   My Sunday run is without a time restriction so easier to be away for 2 - 2 and bit hours but I struggle in the evenings to have enought time.  I am determined not to go into this unprepared so I will keep at it...

Stupid question, but never having jogged for 26 miles before, what on earth do you do if you need the loo?  Are there toilets?  what if I stop and cant get my legs going again...  am I just being really stupid?  and oh my god, my stomach will wonder wha on earth has happened to its food supply...

BTW - I bought the Garmin 110, for me as a complete beginner it does the job.  Its easy to use, gives me my miles, average speed and time.

Feet up tonight!!  image

• Hi can I join your thread?

I have signed up for the Paris Marathon in April 2012 - will be my first, i did my first half this year in 2hrs 44 - a bit of a plodder but i enjoyed it.

Just over 20 weeks to go for Paris............scared now!

• Jennie - there are either toilets or hedgerows to hide behind image If you get hungry then eat. That's what I do image

Hi RG
  • Lots of folk on here and it's not even 2012 yet! This will get busy when the 2011 thread closes..... image
  • Hello you lot

I usually hang out in" Beginners;10k under an hour" , but am going to enter the Manchester Marathon  and someone said youlot are nice and helpful !

Be gentle with me

Rob

• Welcome Rob. Good luck with the training. Slow and often is only tip I can give. That's what I dud training for my first marathon this year.

A 3 mile jog followed by weights today. Trying to focus on strength before training starts in earnest!!
  • Hello Rob, welcome to the forum.  I think its safe to say we are a friendly bunch!!

Having a bit of a bad week so far, didnt get out for my run yesterday morning, and went with my cycling club last night, a hilly 17 miler but felt good apart from being rather cold!!  Ran three miles this morning planning to do the five I missed out on yesterday but I got to three and just couldn't go on any more with pain in my right hamstring and calf.  Im thinking this was just because I didnt stretch properly after my cycle so thats a lesson learned. 

Also nobody seems to be able to get me a Garmin 305 in!! Im reluctant to buy one off the net because I like the peace of mind that I can take it back to a shop, and also like to buy local if I can.  So Im now looking at the 405, slightly more expensive but has any one got any opinions on it?

Hows everyone elses training going? What sort of weight training are you doing AGF?

• I got mine from Amazon.....
  • afternoon

i am in london this year

have had to start running literally from scratch after a broken foot

i have me a training plan and managed a 7mile intense club session last night without a walk break

anyone good with knowledge of a decent ankle/foot support?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    rachael I got mine online from sweatshop. If you're a member of a running club you get 10% discount too.
  • Muppley, Good to hear your recovery is going well. You still have another 20+ Weeks so plenty of time

Rachel, I try and do 15mins  core/stretching most nights at home, and in the last few weeks am trying to do at least 1 1hr session in the Gym - Basically 3-5 reps on every machine that they have in the place. 

I hope that your leg niggle clears up...

• I see its much cheaper on amazon how can they do them this much cheaper?

Thanks AGF it seems much better now, just been for a swim and it aint bothered me at all.

Hi Muppley glad your doing well with your recovery, how did you manage to break your foot?

• Hi Robimage

rachael- I love my 405 and got it from Amazon tooimage

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Muppley Have you been advised to wear a support?  A friend of mine was coming back after a bad ankle injury and he was advised not to wear anything because the foot/ankle would then become dependant on the support. 

• no i havent Minni makes sense tho

i am actually dependent on it now each time i go out without it ankle does feel weak and shaky

hmmm may have to try a slow easy short run on it and see

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Are you doing exercises to strengthen your ankle?  Maybe the physio can give you some to do?

• Minni talks sense. I pulled something in my ankle and wore a support at night, but not during the day. 3 weeks rest (would have been shorter if I'd rested to start with and not run too soon, making it worse!)Took probably a month after being told "it's OK" before it actually felt properly OK to run on it. I wasn't sure if that was it actually feeling dodgy, or me worrying about it feeling dodgy.

You will sometimes find me sat at my desk with a distant look on may face - chances are I'm waggling my ankles about!

• Rachel,

I had a Garmin 305, broke it (dropped my bag on a solid surface and screen cracked - very frustrating).

Eventually replaced it with a 405.

Overall, i preferred the 305, but both have pro's and Cons:

1 305 pro's... 4 displays at one time, better control due to all "button" control, price.

2 305 cons... tends to be bulkier, takes longer to pick up signal, battery life.

3 405 pro's.. looks good, is lighter, can be used as a watch, battery life.

4 405 con's.. bezel sometimes takes a life of its own - i tend to lock it now particularly if its wet, harder to control on the run, 3 displays only, price.

Whichever you choose, your'e better off online i feel as you'll get a better deal. Garmin will look after you it there's a product fault, whereas if like me it got broken due to stupidity they wont!!
  • Hi all, sorry to join the thread a bit late.

I'm running Brighton next year, hoping to break 4:30 it will me my first marathon so just finishing will be good. image
  • Hi Pete image

What's your running background?
  • Hi Spoons, I'm 31 and restarted running in may this year after getting s bit fat and lazy!

I've now built up to 25-30 miles per week.

5k pb 25:54
    10k 56:37
    10 mile 1:37:38
    1/2 marathon 2:16:23
  • Wow, thanks for the info Paddy URM! thats really helpful.  I think part of my problem with the internet is incase it doesnt work, but if Garmin are the ones who look after you then thats grand.

Hi Pete the Plod welcome to the thread.

Is anyone else struggling with the weather these past couple of days?  Its gone really cold here and gale force winds, a bit scary to say the least.  The worst bit is knowing what to wear! Once I have done a mile or so I start to over heat in a jacket but without one I feel naked!!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Rachael, I ran on Thursday evening in shorts and t-shirt then Friday morning I had full body cover with hat and gloves.  image

Garmin support is really good.  My previous one  started to run out of battery after about 3 hours.  I phoned Garmin and they said it would need replaced.   Since I didn't still have the receipt they could see on their system the date it was sent to the shop for sale.  This had passed the warranty date but they offered to exchange it for £50.   I thought this was ok but during the conversation the chap checked when it first picked up signal, which was in the warranty period so it was exchanged it for free. image