Fink for Outlaw 2012

Comments

• Orca: Austria IM, think beautiful location and blue lake, its stunning. Well organised but attracts the cream cos its fast.

Swim, clear blue water lake, start on the right beach its less frantic than the first one you come to, swimming out to first turn is easy as the turn buoy is huge, next leg is easy keep church in front, third leg is into the sun aand I never did spot a marker to the canal entrance just followed the feet in front, last 900M up a 20M wide canal, all the mud and weed gets a bit stirred up. I would recommend a swim over to the canal entrance to get a marker in your mind, I didn't and went way off course.

T1 changing area was very crowded without enough benches.

Bike course is flat for first 40K then smallish hill, the larger hill comes up around the 60K mark and takes some effort, long non technical descent back to T1 then around again. Some beautiful views across the lake and later on alpine meadows. Second time up the hill folks were off and walking. Total of 1700M of climbing as per my garmin.

Run two laps, down to the lake then back beside the canal all the way into town, all the support is concentrated around the finish area and in the town centre. Flat as a pancake.

Thoroughly enjoyed myself, only gripe was that they had run out of large finisher shirts by the time I finished and I was nowhere near the back.

If your traveling with kids / family I would recommend the Wahaha resort about 20 mins from town on a further lake, great for kids and has a 50M pool. Otherwise stay in town.

• The lake at Austria is like swimmin Evian over sand,  beautiful!
  • hey BBplodder i've entered that new years lancs race....look forward to that one now
  • Hello all image I'm not following Fink this year, but I'm figuring this is going to be the main training thread?

To all those that have failed at the first attempt....me too image Had a cracking day though, loved being a part of the whole IM shenanigans. Looking forward to kicking its ass this year. First things first to sort out my shoulder cos swimming is pish anyway, and not improving with dodgy shoulder-ness. Will concentrate on cycling and running tho, and kicking in the pool. Not people though (unless they're fannying about in my lane) image

p.s. Ridgeback - don't think I didn't spot that big 'IF' in your post. You are so doing an IM next year, hahahaha
  • Hello peoples and pirates !

can I join in ?

I'm also planning to follow Fink for Outlaw this year - first IM Distance.. I've only done Sprints and Oly's before very excited!

Also does any have any good tips for some good long (safe ish) route round Hampshire ?

• Paid my entrance fee today! Very excited and all ready feel a bit nervous!
  • One week to go before the 30 week countdown.

Everything in place........

• Outlaw entered
    • Turbo in the garage
    • Winterswim logged
    • Bike puncture fixed
    • Christmas list with dull bike/tri items complete

Have I missed anything?  (other than the obvious need to actually swim, bike and run!)

Now for the final offical 'non training plan' weekend. Pizza, red wine and christmas cake baking here I come. 

• image Muffin have you worked out a plan to cause as much mischief and tomfoolery while your doing your training?
  • Cake, what an idea. Will sneak the kids a gaint box of Jelly babies before I leave for a bike ride on Sunday. OH can then watch them fizz and crackle on a sugar rush and I will get extra admiration for how I cope when I get home.

Campsite????? No booking needed, good buddy with a house in Notts. Goose down and a doubel bed for me xxx 

• Anyone staying in one of the Nottingham travel lodges or campsite the best bet? Call me soft but I quite fancy a bed the night before the big race!
  • Yep I have booked in at the Premier Inn down the road, I gave up camping a long time ago!
  • Sounds like a plan Dave!
  • TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭
    What are people's suggestions for places to stay.

Personally thinking of camping to get full PSOF experience but thinking of family and supporters.
  • I'm staying at Swans hotel TJ as are a few others because its close to the start but if its just  family etc not for yourself then you should have a wider choice.  I'm not brave enough to camp for this - I certainly want a warm bed at the end.
  • TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭
    Thanks soupie, well done on entering by the way.

To be honest the state I will be in I think that I will sleep anywhere!
  • http://sub17.net/images/logo-small.gif

Well, after a 5 month wait, I have finally finished my 2011 race report!!

As you'd expect after such a wait, it's a bit of an epic...I've also collated my 2010 report and all the plans, tips and useful resources I've collected over the last 2-3 years and put them on a new website.

It's aimed at offering good advice for either the novice Ironman or someone who's new to the Outlaw.

I'll also be blogging my way to the 2012 race on this site!!

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Enjoy!! 

www.sub17.net

• I've now paid up for the Marshman too. Officially brassic.

Timmy G - that was a good read. I'm between the euphoria of signing up, and the excitement of starting training. I now feel sick and worried. Cheers!

• It's all good!! It's the sick and worry that make it such a good achievement!! image

• Great report TimmyG.   Particularly liked the observation about how you remember the good bits but block the bad bits.  image
  • TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭
    Great read Timmy really brought up the enormity of what it is like to finish for the back of packers like me.

Look forward to seeing you on the 1 July and keep updating the blog.
  • Good blog Timmy - very inspiring and helpful.  I've signed up to your members page but you really do need to get some black n yellow kit you know. image

Also want to say thanks to everyone who gave so many tips for completing IM at last night's bash.  I had far too much to drink so its all merged into one so can't remember who said what but it was useful, specially about holding on to belief.

SA  - I'd love to join in on your home made training half IM next year.  Sounds like a good plan. image 

Back for a snooze for me now - not because I've been out hard training but because I'm so fragile and I never want to look at a glass of white wine again. image

• Competitive Programme (Long one)

Week 1

Monday - rest

Tuesday - swim #1, run 0:30 hrs in zone 2

Wednesday - Bike 0:30 zone 2 quick change to run 0:15 zone 2

Thursday - swim #2, bike 0:30 zone 1

Friday - run 0:30 zone 2

Saturday  - bike 1:00 zone 2

Sunday - run 0:45 zone 1-2

Total: 6 hours

Swim sessions:

1. 300 wu, 8x50dr, 12 x 100 @ 20sec, 8x50dr, 200 cd
    2. 300 wu, 8x50dr, 3 x 125 @ 20sec, 2x175 @ 30sec, 3x 125 @ 20 sec, 8x50dr, 200 cd
  • That's odd! I'd posted another message first but it disappeared!

Oh well..... the 40 weeks doesn't start until next monday, but for those who are starting a week early or need a reminder of the kind of thing we are supposed to be doing

Just Finish Programme (Short Hours)

Week 1

Monday - rest

Tuesday - Swim #18, run 0:15 zone 2

Wednesday - Bike 0:15 zone 2, 

Thursday - Bike 0:15 zone 2

Friday - Swim #19, Run 0:15 zone 2

Saturday - Bike 0:30 zone 2

Sunday  - Run 0:30 zone 1-2

• The intermediate plan is the same as the competitive one for the first week.

Hope everyone is getting excited image

It's okay Soupy, you have a whole week to recover

• Sorry! Typing error (before anyone gets too scared) - the Fink plan is 30 weeks!image
  • Im really looking forward to the plan starting...for the last few months Ive just been doing "what I felt like", basically running and cycling (avoiding swimming like the plague!), so some proper structure and a plan would be good!

A bit of advice would also be good....Ive read the early part of the Fink book (not good with reading...tend to lose patience half way thru), and am torn between the intermediate & competitive programme.
    Did IMUK last year in 13.33, but want an improvement on that in my 2nd long race....would doing the intermediate just get me to the same level (and about the same time) or to get an improvement will I need to go "competitive" - problem with that is the amount of training in the peak weeks scares me...work/kids/husband.....may struggle to get it all fitted in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated from everyone out there!!!
  • Hi Bungleboy.

Competitive and Intermediate are the same for the first 10 weeks. Procrastinate tomorrow!