Loch Ness Marathon

Greetings -

a new post just to say that you can now start forum threads from the bottom of event listings (they'll be duplicated in the main forum section and at the bottom of the relevant event listing).

*do be sure to change the 'forum topic' to Events - we'll make that automatic soon

And is anyone doing this race? Sounds like a fun one...

Sean

Comments

• Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    Cheers for the update Sean.

Did my first 20 mile run on Saturday in preparation for the Lochness Marathon on 29th Sept. Looking forward to flying up and making a weekend break of it. Heard that there's only about 500 registered at the moment with up to 2000 hoped for.

Really looking forward to the pasta party on the Saturday and the variety of fun, games and music that the organisers are laying on for the whole weekend. I
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I'm entered - and I don't have any travelling!!!!(FOR A CHANGE)

Local advertiser thingy through the door at the end of last week said there were about 1000 entered so far. I think the 2000 is the target for the future, possibly to have 2008 runners in 2008 if we get "city of culture" for then.

I posted a description of the course on the old forum - happy to do it again if anyone wants.

I also just remembered that I offered to post details of good/cheap/handy accommodation before I went on holiday. I'll get on to it soon, honest!
  • Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    http://www.invernessbedandbreakfast.co.uk

Nessie,

I posted this address on the old forum. Very good rates for City Centre B&Bs.

Good news to hear that they're up to 1000. This will be my first marathon and I'm chuffed to be doing it in such an excellent location.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Had a look at the website Scotty. If you haven't booked yet, the nearest to the race start/pasta party (i.e. less than 5 mins walk) are Hebrides, East Dene and Taigh na Teile. Next closest are Ardgowan, Aros and Cambeth Lodge (10 mins walk approx). All are very hany for the city centre (i.e. pubs!) too.

I just hope the weather is good for the day, so that the scenery is at its best. I was out that way for a run (in the car) on Sunday and it was just gorgeous. Sunny, not a breath of wind so the loch was like glass, and very very green. Ahhhh, lurvely.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Got my race info through in the mail on Saturday.

I'm scared now...........
  • Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    The scarey bit's the 7:40 bus from the stadium to the start. Looks like I'll be having a very early breakfast.

Pasta party should be fun !
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Hope you don't get travel sick.
  • Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    It could almost be a big practical joke. Fifteen coaches taking nearly 1000 runners out into the middle of nowhere and expecting them to make their own way back. And stressing that friends and family are not allowed access to the Start. Bags being No.6. Visions of big white balloons chasing me across Loch Ness.

Just hope they've had the foresight to hire coaches with toilets....actually now that I've given that some thought; with all the pre-race nerves it might be wise not to have loos on the coach !!!

Seriously though, it looks like we are well catered for with regard to water and Lucozade sport every few miles.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    It does look as if they've thought of most things. Now all I have to do is finish before it gets dark.

Pre crash last night, I did notice the mile markers have already been painted on the road. So I can honestly say I've done miles 23 to 26 in the Loch Ness Marathon in about 10 minutes.

We don't have to mention the bike, do we?
  • Hi,
    I just got home yesterday and my pack was there waiting on me. Got this little buzz of excitement. Although naturally I'm terrifeid I dont finish, cos the training has not being going as well as planned. Tonight I shall be back out there, I'm looking at 1 1/2 hours, no mileage, just getting home without dropping will do.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Of course you'll finish, DD. Shattered Shins and I have been encouraging each other by planning a competition for last place. Our main aim is to finish before it gets dark, although I notice from the pack that the prizegiving is at 3.30pm. It would be a good aim to try to get back for that - five and a half hours. You'd be welcome to join us.
  • Thanks Nessie,
    But after last night I think finish sometime will do me. I ran 13.7 miles (went out tonight on the bike and measured it) the last 3 were total hell and I could barely lift my legs, they were like lead. The funny thing is I wanted to go faster, so my wee legs were barely making it above the paving stone's but were going ridiculously fast if you get my meaning. I must have been some sight... only I went out in daylight and it was pitch dark when I got home...
    How do you get yourself capable of running 26 miles ? I'm at a loss...
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Daisy

If you managed to cycle 13.7 miles tonight, you must be recovering well. I took nearly a minute off my best time for a 5 mile circuit last night, and I'm sure it's mostly due to the 15 miler I did early last week. Every long run makes you stronger, but it takes a week or more to feel the benefits. 15 miles has been my longest so far (planned 17/18 this week, but I fell off my bike on Monday) and I think SS has got up to 16 or so, so you're not that far behind us.

Keep going - you'll get there!
  • Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I'm going for another attempt at 20 miles on Sunday morning; having failed two weeks ago when I gave up after 17 miles thanks to some interesting blisters (what a time to buy new shoes !!! Problem sorted now).

Just posting this by way of giving an added incentive to complete the run. I'd hate to have to report another failed attempt next week.

Happy training

Scotty
  • Is it still possible to gain entry for the 2002 Loch Ness Marathon? I've heard that the scenery around there is fantastic, and I'd love to take part.

Nick
  • Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    Hiya Nick,

I believe they are still keen for more entrants. They have stressed that there won't be entries on the day due to logistical problems.

Contact the organisers through the website : www.lochnessmarathon.com You can find details under the Events Header above.

The more the merrier.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Yes, entries still open - www.lochnessmarathon.com (online entry)

Apparently there are entries from 7 countries other than the UK including Australia and the US, and it is now "officially Scotland's biggest marathon" (according to today's Inverness Courier).

All welcome. Here endeth the Inverness Tourist Board spiel!
  • OK Scotty... I'll be checking Sunday evening just to see if you have got the 20 miler... I'm running in the Paisley 10k so an easy 6 miles for me... I'll try for 15 next week.

Nessie, the moment I came home, I ate, tuna & beans & bread .. hopefully this aided towards the recovery.
    Did you too have a bike crash ? my knee has scabbed over so tight it hurts to bend it in the morning... lovely !!
  • I feel so thick - I've only just discovered this posting!!!

Yes I too have had my pack through - only I haven't paid them - just registered an interest - is this the same for everyone else ? I think I'm no.258.

Also is it just me being mean but why are they providing cups of Lucozade Sport instead of the satchets? I can't drink out of a cup without slobbering on the best of days let alone when I'm trying to limp along on a run?

Well Nessie I've done it - booked us all in at the Holiday Inn Express (on the basis that I won't feel guilty doing a last minute cancellation to a multi Million £ chain - but I would to a local family)!
  • Hi SS,

I have booked my hotel too, or room !! can't remember which one but it is one of those places like a travel inn.
    I did pay for the race when I booked it over the internet, that way I couldn't back out, same reason I booked the hotel at the same time.
    I got my number in for the Glasgow 1/2 marathon which is next Sat, and the number is my date of birth... is that spooky or do they normally do that ?
  • Its spooky Daisy Duke - but equally could just be a fantastic omen.

Having booked my rooms yesterday, I had to pull out of the Liverpool HalfM today as my quads are just too bad to run. So I honestly don't know if I'll make Loch Ness - every time I do a lovely long run I need to see a physio to loosen off my knee - if I don't my quads go wrong and thats a lot more expensive to put right. And I just don't know if it's all worth the hassle right now.

And I carbo loaded like mad yesterday - so will have to crash diet today...

Wish I had legs like yours Daisy - were they stretched at birth?
  • Yipee ! Managed to complete my planned 20 mile run this morning before 25,000 women descended on Hyde Park for the Flora Light Challenge. Had to get up at 6 o’clock to avoid the crowds ! It was nice and cool for a change; so no dehydration problems. The free samples of HighFive gel were yummy and certainly kept the fatigue at bay. I’ll certainly be using them in the marathon. Took me 2 hrs 53 mins. The thought of running for another hour to cover the extra 6 miles is still a bit daunting though.

Had a sharp pain above my knee for two miles before being forced to stop at around 15 miles. Fortunately the discomfort disappeared after some stretching and I was able to continue without any further trouble. Central London being what it is; I had to stop (thankfully) quite often for traffic lights. Made a point of having a few minute long walking breaks as well which were a big help.

Just wish I’d waited until next week then I could be looking forward to my three week taper. Probably go for a 17 mile run in two weeks – I’ve applied for the Maidstone Half the week before Loch Ness. Here’s hoping my knee doesn’t cause me any more problems, I will be resting now until Wednesday to recover properly and make sure it’s alright.

Hope the rest of you have enjoyed your running this weekend.
  • Hi SS,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Posted my update without reading yours first.

Scotty
  • SS,
    I hope you get the all clear to make it up here... I'm sure that it will be a great day. I am planning a run / walk schedule as I know I have no hope of getting back to Inverness any other way. (except maybe by ambulance), but I wish to avoid that !!!
    And I wish they were my legs too SS.. but unfortunately they belong to the real Daisy Duke. but if I keep up the diet & the running .... well maybe not

Well done Scotty... told you I would be looking :-) I sent away for those High Five samples too ... I'll keep them for the 1/2 on Sunday ....
  • SS - So sorry to hear you had a bad day at Liverpool. I do hope you get sorted out so that you can make Loch Ness, if nothing else so that MiniSS can do her Nessie spotting. If it's any help, the restaurant next to the HI Express is brilliant - not your usual microwave specials!

Scotty - Good run. Sounds like you're well on course.

DD - Plan some of your walk breaks for 4.5 miles, 5.5 miles and 18 - 20 miles, because that's where the hills are.
  • Good advice .. which I shall heed ...cheers Nessie ..
  • Closing date is 9th September, if there are any more takers................

Now up to 800 entrants, according to local press.
  • Just booked up my B&B last night in Fort Augusta. Hope to make the pasta party in Inverness, see you there.
  • Hello all,

Feeling good about myself now that I'm in that place we call 'tapering'. Managed a 20 mile run on Saturday after being worried about my knee and am pleased to say that I am fit and well. It was a real confidence booster ! I'm doing the Maidstone Half this Sunday and probably will only go out next Wednesday for a 7 mile run before the Marathon.

We'll have to do the Race Number posting next week. Can't remember what mine is offhand.....but I think my forum piccie will give me away. I trust Inverness has recovered from the deluge two weeks ago ?

See you soon.

Scotty
  • Hi Scotty

Yes, we're all dried out now, and only a couple of roads still to be fully repaired, but they should be ok by next week. Some poor sould still not back in their houses though, hopefully they were well insured.

Glad to hear your training has gone well. I'm not quite as confident. Last week was a washout training-wise due to an ill advised post Glasgow "recovery" session at an Oasis concert. Sat/Sun/Mon was ok, and I got a few miles in, but since Tuesday I've had God-awful toothache, and am now on antibiotics for an abcess. My longest run didn't make the 20s, but I did feel pretty fresh after the half in Glasgow, so I'm still hoping to finish somewhere between 5:15 and 5:30 (that's overall time, not p.m.!).

I can't remember my number either (it has a 5 in it somewhere) but I'll post it soon.

I think it's you, me, Daisy Duke and Ellie from the forum running - maybe we should have entered as a team!