Sub 30:00 10k ?

would anyone like to share the training plans they follow to consistently get a sub 30 as I have no idea or training plan on how to! at the moment i run it in 32:00 if thats any help. I heard combining a morning run with weight/gym sessions in the afternoon is a great way to train but im skeptical on how long you could do it until you burn out since the thread i was reading suggested you did it every day of the week, anyway i would really find a response helpful image

Comments

• Enter a race and report back before proceeding.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Harry, the bit you forgot to mention on your post here, is that you use one of those Nike calibration devices. They aint very accurate.

You claim on your other thread that you can do 1hr 02 for a half marathon. In training, off about 3months of 20miles a week. imageimage

If that were true, i'd be getting down to the bookies and putting a lot of money on you to be the world champion in 5 years.

If you can do anywhere near 32mins for 10k I'll be astonished!

• Bullshit that's what I smell!!
  • HAHAHA thats funny because i took that criticism on the chin went and recorded that 10k at my (new) club i did 25x 400m laps boring the absolute hell out of me and i actually beat my other time by 12 seconds, hmmm thats kinda funny dont you think?, im not saying im the best ive never bragged in my life theres plenty of guys out there that can kick my a** hands down im applying for a us sports scholarship and they run much faster than me at least sub 30 ! so i was just looking for some advice ! but no i guess haters be hatin ! :L
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    image Haha, to the point Robby!
  • Harry, perhaps you need to start running measured 10ks as your routes are a few kilometres short.
  • HG great PO10 results??? if you'd run 32 it would have been picked up so you must be dreaming!!!
  • With those sort of times and your sort of potential you would be most welcome at my club at any time. Which club have you just joined? Message me if you prefer.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    If he's really  doing 32mins for a track 10k casually in training, off 3months of running 20miles a week, then I think he needs to get involved with  Belgrave, or a Tipton, or someone like that.
  • Harry Grimwood wrote (see)
    HAHAHA thats funny because i took that criticism on the chin went and recorded that 10k at my (new) club i did 25x 400m laps boring the absolute hell out of me and i actually beat my other time by 12 seconds, hmmm thats kinda funny dont you think?, im not saying im the best ive never bragged in my life theres plenty of guys out there that can kick my a** hands down im applying for a us sports scholarship and they run much faster than me at least sub 30 ! so i was just looking for some advice ! but no i guess haters be hatin ! :L

Let us know the US college responses to your 25 * 400m workout as evidence of your times.  I expect you'll get a full ride to a NCAA div 1 college.

Once again, advice is impossible without you doing a race.

• I've been short listed for the Olympics just did a sub 30 10k in training honest image wasn't even pushing myself did I say I am nearly 47!!

• I reckon this is a forum regular using an alternative nick on the wind up..... Its not even close to plausible, nobody on the planet is running 32mins @10km and saying things like " I heard combining a morning run with weight/gym sessions in the afternoon is a great way to train but im skeptical on how long you could do it until you burn out"

Also in his original post he gave pb's of...."5K 15:57 10K: 32:12 10 miles: 54:56 Half Marathon 1:02:12". Anybody who has the slightest bit of knowledge about running knows these times are ridiculously out of sync with each other.....

What i dont get about posts like these are, they are neither funny or clever....i can understand people responding, but whats in it for the OP? Entertainment? Having people post in response 'ah you're bullsh*tting' or 'prove it' is just predictable....all just abit absurd.image

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Chingo – There have been plenty of wind up threads on here before and as you say those times do look out of sync. Having said that there has also been occasions where inexperienced but talented runners have posted genuinely, but got their times mixed up by using training runs incorrectly measured etc. Given the stick you got as a genuine poster when you first joined I’d have thought you’d have given the op the chance to prove he’s not a wind up merchant, although given what he’s posted I agree the odds looked stacked against him!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Chingo, you're right...there were a flurry of these kind of posters around the time you emerged...hence you were originally seen in the same manner!

There's always the hope that one of these kind of posters is real, and that we can "spot" some kind of top runner of the future, but normally they die away quickly.

this is probably the same guy who posted can he go sub 3 for a marathon off a couple of weeks training if he works hard.

And very possibly the same guy who reckoned he could do some amazing fast time off a couple of runs aw eek, but didn't want to take it seriously because he was representing England at hockey at some U15 level.

or some utter gash

It's also very possible this is a guy who used to post as Jokerman/Jack the Mack,  and various other incredibly tedious incarnations

• I was going to comment on this but can't really be bothered - would like to know where the 63 minute half marathon pb was set though as it does not appear in the 2011 rankings, the fastest being Mo Farah's 60:23 with Andrew Lemoncello's 63 minutes second fastest - I have always been an avid reader of AW and I am sure would remember a British runner running 62 minutes for the half distance.

• Mr Viper - I'm always happy to give the benefit of the doubt in most situations, and you'll find 99% of the time im positive about other people's training/times etc...but when somebody claims to be the 2nd fastest half marathon runner in the uk whilst maintaining the idea they dont have a clue about training....its a non starter!

When i started posting, i wasnt claiming world beating times! Just a reasonable club standard, plus of course without being arrogant alot of RW training forum contributors are probably familiar with my po10 profile by now and anything i did say could always be substantiated independantly. I think thats a minimum requirement when people make grand claims, yes there are talented but inexperienced runners out there but outside the kenyan hills nobody comes out of nowhere with world class times!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the fella did his ALL times on ARC accredited courses...as well know those aren't on the power of 10, which is a pretty flawed measuring system image
  • It's one thing for a couch potato with an ego to come on here and give it the biggun about getting their 10k time down to 35mins off 12 miles per week or whatever.  It's quite another to claim you've run the second fastest HM in the country this year, then admit to being completely wrong when it's politely pointed out that your Nike footpod is not that accurate, then to come back and claim that actually you must be incredibly fast all along cos you've now gone and done it on the track.  It's about as funny as a WKD advert.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I climbed Mount Everest this morning.  Took a packed lunch and wore me Ugg boots, beanie hat and a hoodie.  Not done much climbing as such but I go up & down our stairs every day and went to the top floor of Harrods in the lift to get some altitude acclimatisation.  Any advice on how to climb higher still?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Maybe do the equivalent height of Everest up a very short staircase....say 1000 reps, and because you've done it that way, you'll be mentally stronger, as well as proving once and for all you didn't make it up

• Wardi wrote (see)
    Not done much climbing as such but I go up & down our stairs every day and went to the top floor of Harrods in the lift to get some altitude acclimatisation.  Any advice on how to climb higher still?
    Get a job in the Facilities Management department of Harrods, then you'll be able to get access to the roof!
  • By a strange coincidence, I have also partaken in altitude training in Harrods.  There's a Sweatshop on the 4th (?) floor and it's where I went to try out my new Brooks ST Racers on the treadmill.  True story!
  • I was going to start a thread on how I could get a sub 2 hour marathon but after the abuse the poor guy has got I will not bother....
  • spen71 wrote (see)
    I was going to start a thread on how I could get a sub 2 hour marathon but after the abuse the poor guy has got I will not bother....
    Use a bike.
  • I would probably still struggle to do it on a bike./
  • just a point to most of you I thought i already backtracked on most my times in a previous forum and apologised for coming off as big headed so they are most probably wrong becasue I was using a faulty sensor or whatever I found that the longer the runs got the more inaccurate they were or thats what my trainer told me after I gave them to him.. , but I know how fast i ran on that track for my 10k, and if your that interested I have been in contact with a few universities in Div 1/2 NCAA and they've helped me out a lot more than anyone else.. but it doesnt matter anymore to be honest lets say i was lieing the whole time for your satisfaction and I made it all up because I get kicks from posting fake times online obviously waht a f*cking idiot i am ..
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Harry...just do a race somewhere, anywhere soon, post a good time, and everyone on here will suddenly become your best friend, and all doubt will erode.image
  • Harry - last sentence is spot on. Glad you saw sense mate.