DIY Half IM

Hi All

I am planning to do a DIY half IM next year on both Sat May19th & Sun 20th (I do one day and Mrs SA does the other day)

I want to open it up to all our pirate friends

Its a pool swim and this will be the only cost for the day, currently £3.70

The bike will then be 11 laps of a 5 mile course with a drinks station each lap, on quiet country roads with only left turns

The run will be 4 laps of a 3.25 mile course with 2 drinks stations each lap

The bike and run will have signs showing the way

We have covered transition bike to run, swim to bike will be managed transition

We will be able to accommodate several people over night if needed i.e. camping/ sofa beds

There will be no cut-offs

We are based in Macclesfield Cheshire

This will be perfect for people competing at Outlaw next year or even do both days for people doing the deca/quin (yes Monique I'm looking at you)

If there are enough takers, we would hope that partners could help out on the day

Any questions please feel free to ask

Comments

• kittenkat wrote (see)

That's a great idea, are there any insurance implications?

I'm only asking because our tri club was talking about it last night, informal group rides etc.

Good luck anyway.

Good point KK, I will get everyone to sign a disclaimer

• SA......

I'm very interested as is my son........i think my OH is thinking about it.............if so I would do both days whilst my son and OH would do different days so that they could help marshall on alternative days........image

But if I do the swim I will have to use a pullbuoy to mimic the wetsuit.......( I am unable to swim very far without one)image

• Could be a good one SA, nice training event. I however can only turn right on my bike so will have to do the loop in reverse!!!!
  • SA - I'd certainly be interested as I've just completely skinted myself entering Outlaw, and am trying to figure out entering warm-up events on little money.

• image Oh was just banging on about this elsewhere talking carp as normal. image

I'm in for the saturday, Sunday will be elsewhere in the morning but if still in one peice will try to pop by.

• Sounds great SA, hope it isn't a hilly bike loop!  image
  • if you join BTF you get insurance of some kind for the public liability side of things - i dont know if its worth people joining if they do less than 6 events a year though and the insurance may not be adequate - just a thought
  • doner.that would only work for a BTF official rtace or for training..............I take it we will all pay for our own pool fee so we will all be just on a training run getting some drinks from some friends...........so no point in getting too worried about liability etc.......
  • Great idea, I'm definitely interested, probably on the Sunday. I'll ask family members about helping out as we are relatively local. As far as I'm concerned, I would be on a training ride/run, but would be more than happy to sign any disclaimer if it made others more comfortable.
  • Interested
    bburn plodder
    Cake
    Cona
    MovingAlong
    Schmunkee
    Seren, Mr Seren, and Not so Jr Seren
  • SA - I wouldn't be doing the whole thing but would consider doing 2 legs.  Happy to split them over the weekend to help out too
  • Just realised I'm meant to be doing the Great Manchester Run on the Sunday, so I'd really have to sign up for the Saturday.

As per Bburn Plodder, I'd just be out training as far as I'm concerned...

• There is a big difference to an official Tri club doing an event, training ride or group outing and an individual doing something with some friends.

You join a Tri club and they therefore take on some responsibility for what they do.

Otherwise if my mate invited me to the skate park and I hurt myself I could sue him - which I can't. I wouldn't do the disclaimer because surely that proves you think you are taking some organisational  role.

Just preface all future sessions with I.

I will be starting a 1900m pool swim at 06:45, I will then change at the car boot, then I will ride round in circles for I while. I will then go for run. If anyone else turns up then it has nothing to do with you!image

• I'll be up for it and so will my son in law Des, sounds like it's going to be a great weekend .....imagecheers Mr & Mrs SA.
  • I'd be interested in joining this,it's not too far from where I am.
  • I'm up for this, thanks SA.  I'd have to travel from London so a camping option would be appreciated.

m.eface wrote (see)

There is a big difference to an official Tri club doing an event, training ride or group outing and an individual doing something with some friends.

You join a Tri club and they therefore take on some responsibility for what they do.

Otherwise if my mate invited me to the skate park and I hurt myself I could sue him - which I can't. I wouldn't do the disclaimer because surely that proves you think you are taking some organisational  role.

Just preface all future sessions with I.

I will be starting a 1900m pool swim at 06:45, I will then change at the car boot, then I will ride round in circles for I while. I will then go for run. If anyone else turns up then it has nothing to do with you!image

Couldn't agree more.  Its no different to the Surrey bike rides - just a group of friends meeting up for a training session. 

• kittenkat wrote (see)
    The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
    kittenkat wrote (see)

That's a great idea, are there any insurance implications?

I'm only asking because our tri club was talking about it last night, informal group rides etc.

Good luck anyway.

Good point KK, I will get everyone to sign a disclaimer

Yeah that's what we're looking at because a club went on a group ride (a jolly, not really a training session) but someone got hurt and the club solicitor told the club they'd be in real trouble if that person pushed a claim.

It's a bit of a grey area but yeah, make sure you've got your back.

We're going to do disclaimers too I think for those sort of rides.

I wouldn't bother - just worrying about something that isn't an issue.    Far as I know it's never happened - some guy up in Scotland tried to bring a claim against another rider on a group ride and it got thrown out - he was told if he didn't want to take the risk of someone causing him to crash he shouldn't have joined a group ride.   
  • Sounds like fun. Postcode so I can look up cheap nasty hotels please?

Now, cheeseburgers availability with chips and large tea please?

Insurance? Please, let me leave it in London for once....

• Sounds like a fantastic idea and fits in well with Outlaw training!

You say its open to "Pirate Friends"...can forum newbees like me tag along too?..do I have to don yellow and black to join in?? image

• Dustboy, you have RW mail

Bungleboy, yep, thats fine.

• Interested
    bburn plodder
    Bobby Nobby
    Bungleboy
    Cake
    Cona
    Dustboy
    MovingAlong
    Razor51 and Mrs Razor51
    Schmunkee
    Soup Dragon
  • Interested
    bburn plodder
    Bobby Nobby
    Bungleboy
    Cake
    Cona
    Dustboy
    MovingAlong
    Razor51 and Mrs Razor51
    Schmunkee
    Soup Dragon
    Madlot

Cheers Mr + Mrs SA image
  • Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

Dustboy - there is a Premier Inn about a mile down the road and a Travel Lodge in the centre of town .

• I would be interested too please.  I was thinking of doing the Beaver (May 26) but plan to get a 3.8k swim in at Epic swims at Conisiton and that is the following day, so this timing would suit perfectly.

Very generous of you Mr and Mrs SA.  Cheers

• Did the Beaver last year, a good event...tho may be a bit too close to the Outlaw for me...that Consiton Swim sounds like a good idea though!

Will take it as a hint Schmunkee to get myself onto the kit thread and get myself some new clobber!!

Getting excited now....a half IM sorted and my training plan starts on Monday!

It'll soon wear off when the alarm goes off early for those pre-work swims!!
  • Schumkee........what's with the Mr& Mrs Razor............I said my Son in Law not my bloody Mother in Law.....imageimage

Interested
    bburn plodder
    Bobby Nobby
    Bungleboy
    Cake
    Cona
    Darkness
    Dustboy
    Madlot
    MovingAlong
    Razor51 and Son-In-Law of Razor51
    Schmunkee