Options

VLM 2012 Outsiders Thread

Comments

• Options

que sera -Like the idea of scaring walkers in the fog-

Hopes everyones colds are better soon

easy run for me yesterday- never thought i would say "just 17K"

Going to try 14 miles this week- all being well

Need to find some new routes- developed an unhealthy interest in my car odometer!

• Options
    mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Well my 12 miles was definitely not like Sacco's!!! The 14% hill was actually a 20% hill (it had one of those wedge-shaped road signs telling me it was 20%...) but hey the view from the top was worth all the huffing puffing. I did jog the first third maybe but walked the rest. It was a good excuse to take on more water, honest!!! Did my 12 miles a bit faster than last week and considering the nasty hill I was well pleased with that.

400's at club tonight...10 secs faster than a month ago. Getting back into the swing of regular training is helping lots and a few people have started noticing the weight loss. I haven't got on the scales yet but apparently I look like I've lost weight. Hmmmmm.

Siony, it's amazing how the miles add up - a new member of our club was saying how she'd only ever run 3 miles before and I was saying how I couldn't even run a mile 3 years ago and 15 months later I did a marathon. It's amazing how we adapt to training. Hope you get to find some good routes. I have my favourites but it's good to go new places.
  • Options
    I still haven't tackled anything longer than a half. I'm telling myself I'm doing "base training" until the new year. It makes it all sound less daunting for the moment.
  • Options

morning

well my marathon training has officially started

have had to invest in a full foot and ankle support to make sure my ankle is fully supported after the break

i have had my running club coach draw me up a plan and it has me down as:-

mon, wed & fri - bootcamp

tues - running club

thurs & sat - runs

sun - long run

• Options

I'm concerned that there's no rest day in your schedule Muppley.

You don't want to end up injured again image

• Options

yeah i know sat is a 2-4 mile easy so really i could just miss that out if needed

had my 1st running club session in 10weeks last night - ankle was strapped up pretty well

ended up doing a really hard 7 mile session which incorporated long runs short reps and hills - feeling it today!

• Options

Ok - make sure you don't overdo it Mupps.

Walked for an hour yesterday lunchtime and half an hour back from a shopping trip today, followed by walking up 16 flights of stairs (that was unplanned!) image

Looks like I may have to run at silly o'clock tomorrow. I am working offsite and will be on my feet all day instead of sitting at a PC so I know I won't be in any fit state to do it afterwards. I remember standing up all day in heels when I was younger (!) I don't know how I did it but I do know why I was slimmer then image

Just planned my route for the weekend's 8 miler. I couldn't avoid a slope right at the end but overall it isn't too bad.

Yeaaaah, bring it on!!!!!!!

• Options
    mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Hi All,

Hope everyone had a good weekend. I've not been too well this week, so not done very much on the running front. Incredibly tired and run-down. Work crazy and I'm not sleeping much (so much for RW saying marathoners need more sleep - try telling that to my body!)

Hopefully get to club Monday night. 2 weeks til project deadline and 2 weeks til 10K so busy fortnight ahead image
  • Options
    Good intervals yesterday- sore as hell today!
    Hope you feel better soon mitlog
  • Options

Sorry to hear that Mitiog. I'm still coughing and spluttering too, but thought I'd better get a move on anyway, so I've been on a 10 mile run at the weekend and went out for a short one this a.m. Hoping that running might help it to clear quicker.

How did your run go Screamy?

• Options

Hi all,

Running at 6 in the morning on Thursday was a bit of a shock to the system. Saturday's 8 miler was hard - I never seemed to get my breathing right and  I was in need of a jelly baby in the last mile so have ordered some in my next grocery shop.

Legs felt ok though image

Mitog, Que Sera - hope you feel better soon.

• Options
    Oh great. I have developed a cough image
  • Options

Poor Screamy image I hope it's not the lurgy that's been going around.

I'm only shaking mine off now. I have't run in a week and half. image

• Options

I think I caught it from my mum - she's had hers for 4 weeks image

I feel like someone has poured itching powder down my throat this morning and it always gets worse at night so I'm thinking I will have to stay indoors and stick to the stationary bike until next week. No other cold-type symptoms though which is good - I don't like feeling groggy.

I'm off to the chemist for some cough medicine at lunchtime - yeuch! 

Eating chocolate always helps though so I suppose it's an excuse to do that  for a few days. Mmmmm......image

Still, this is why I always start training early, it helps factor in the three "I's" - illness, injury and ice!

• Options
    mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Feelin' a bit better image Work still crazy though. Am eating wayyyy too much chocolate. And mini-stollen bites from Lidl.

Did 4x1mile efforts with 3mim jog recoveries in the wind and rain last night. Averages 10:45 on the miles...anyone want to hazard a guess at what pace I could do for a 10K? The efforts weren't flat out..more tempo pace but given the weather I was pretty pleased with them.

Screamy hope you are feeling better. Sacco, are you back running yet?
  • Options

I'm holding off until Sunday when I can do my long run. I'm feeling a lot better though image

I hope everybody is back to full strength soon.

(I'm so tempted http://shop.outofprintclothing.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=b-1030)

• Options

Hope everyone is recovering. I did my 'long' run this morning, as am on my own with kids over the weekend so I won't be able to get out. It was beautiful weather but I felt quite tired at the end of 10 miles. I'm supposed to do a half in a fortnight - that could go spectacularly wrong I feel.

Right - better get back to work. Wishing good running and ehalthy bodies to all

• Options

Ooh cool t-shirt Sacco - love it image

I've just impulse-bought a dress without trying it on - that's not like me at all usually but there was 20% off - I can always take it back image

Thanks for the healthy vibes Qur Sera - I could certainly do with some! Haven't run this week and have rellies down for the weekend so it looks as if I won't get a long run in. Still, it will give my cough a chance to go away - it hasn't been as bad as some I've had I'm relieved to say - or perhaps it's because I've eaten my bodyweight in chocolate this week  - such a naughty Screamy image

The mini stollen bites sound yum mitiog - pass some this way image

My maths is crap but I think that should be about 1.02, 1.03 for a 10k - feel free to correct me anybody.

• Options

I can't do maths, so I used this http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/4/4_1/96.shtml

I reckons a 10:45 min/mile pace is 1 h 6m 10k.

• Options

Not sure Sacco - I've run 1.05.53 for a 10k as an 11 minute average miler so 10.45 should come up a bit quicker? image

Solution = Mitiog runs 10k and reports back image 

*Screamy is now drooling over curry recipes after a conversation wth a colleague*

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    Que Sera Sarah, if you can run 10 miles, you'll have no problem with a half. image
  • Options
    mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    But if I can average 10:45 on individual miles with 3 min jog recoveries will I be able to do 6.2 of them with no jog recoveries??????

I reckon I should do Que Sera's half and she can do my 10K...I'm much better at pacing longer runs anyway image When is it, Que Sera?

*passes Screamy some mini stollen bites*
  • Options

Thanks Iklebutn and mitiog. It's on the 18th near Wellingborough. I'm not too worried because it was only intended to keep me on track, but I didn't run the 10 miles as easily as I had hoped... partly due to taking time off with lurgy a week or two back.

Mitiog, you have been running consistently for the past month or two and are better over a longer course - a 10k should be great now because you have a mile or two at the start to get settled in and relaxed. i wouldn't be surprised if you were better when going at the same speed than when trying to adjust between a particular pace and a recovery.

Really nice weather now - might force the kids out for a walk this p.m.

• Options
    Dare I say it but am feeling v good- 2 months training and all in workin order! Father Christmas is going to bring me a garmin too!
    Tempo run today and long run tomorrow with heavy rain forecast for Kent! Happy runnings
  • Options
    mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Thanks Que Sera - I'm nervous about the race but also really looking forward to it. Haven't raced since VLM 2010. I week to go!

I did 12 miles with the Killer Hill in the middle this morning which went well considering the massive headwind for the last 6 miles. I finished about 1 min slower than before so considering the conditions I was chuffed with that.

Yay for Father Christmas Siony!!! I have a very old garmin with no heart rate monitor so I tend to use it for intervals and measuring routes then switch back to the heart rate monitor for runs where I need to keep my HR either above or below a specific value. Ideally I'd like a HR monitor and GPS in one watch. I could wear both watches I suppose but then I'd look like Doctor Spock with a gadget on each arm!!!!
  • Options

Morning Outsiders image

Well I wasn't expecting to run at all this weekend but in the event managed 5.7 miles yesterday which I was really pleased about. Felt about a ninety dragging myself round but my time wasn't too bad considering I'm not 100% . My chest is being a bit unforgiving this morning but that's probably more to do with the freezing cold - lovely and fresh though- - brrrr!

Hope everyone else's weekend plods were successful.

I'm quite happy with the way training's going so far too Siony - I just need to stop eating so much image

• Options

I love my old garmin, not that I use it particularly constructively.

I finally got out for a run yesterday, it felt "challenging" so I thought I was doing well. But when I looked at my pace it was the same as every other time I'd done that route.

That'll teach me.

Mitiog - you could wear both on one arm. image

• Options
    Don't worry about eating too much Screamy, it's the christmas season (sort of). Think of it as storing up fuel for the miles ahead.
  • Options
    Sacco di Noci wrote (see)
    Don't worry about eating too much Screamy, it's the christmas season (sort of). Think of it as storing up fuel for the miles ahead.
    Yes I like that image
  • Options
    morning all *waves*  Sorry for my absence, i'll get someone to write a note but while they're scrabbling for a pen, if someone finds my mojo can I have it back please?  I have a serious case of the CBAs.  I have gone from running on average 25 - 30 miles a week (when not training for anything in particular) to being lucky to scrape into double figures.  And 3 weeks to go before VLM training starts..... image