George's Target 26.2 Thread

Hi! Thanks for reading this f.........Oh, never mind. I'll get my coat.

If it's alright with you, I'd like you to vote for me in the ASICS Paris Marathon thingy. I'd like to be able to persuade you that voting for me makes any more sense than voting for any of the other candidates, but it's so subjective it makes any attempt pointless.

However, if there is anything that you want to know about me, why I want to do this, my approach to training or to the forum, that would make any difference, then please let me know.

George

Comments

• You have been quiet on the forums the last few months......can you convince me that you will have the time to post if you win image
  • Time for a nap wrote (see)

Hi! Thanks for reading this f.........Oh, never mind. I'll get my coat.

If it's alright with you, I'd like you to vote for me in the ASICS Paris Marathon thingy. I'd like to be able to persuade you that voting for me makes any more sense than voting for any of the other candidates, but it's so subjective it makes any attempt pointless.

However, if there is anything that you want to know about me, why I want to do this, my approach to training or to the forum, that would make any difference, then please let me know.

George

That makes it sound like you've given up before the comp has barely started. That's not a good way to win votes. What are you going to do if you hit the wall on race day  image
  • Hi Seren,

I really got into the forum last year when I was training for London. The ASICS competition threads were really interesting and it was great to compare my diy training plan with what everyone else was doing. I can assure you that I will be even more into the process this time round, given that the responsibility is on me to keep everyone posted.

I remember that there was much debate last time on the runner's target times. Unfortunately that seems to have been circumnavigated a little bit this time by the new choice of categories. However, I am still keen on the debate and would aim to post as much detail as I can on my training runs to fuel that debate. I would like to get everyone's opinion if I am training at the right level (too much or too little) and what my goal time should be based on my day-by-day performance. I have no real idea what my goal should be and the forumites are as likely to be right as anyone else.

• Hi LN,

I have certainly not given up. Just aiming for a bit of humility in contrast to some other competitors image

I'm not planning on hitting the wall. I've read that it is actually avoidable. However, if I do, I'll repeat my mantra from London this year: "this is supposed to hurt". It did, by the way. Lots!

• Turned up to club night tonight to do a bit of canvassing (and maybe go for a little run) to find only half as many people there as normal. I blame it on it being "time trial" night rather than any slight on my popularity. Still, the TT was good fun: 2 miles around the dark, wet, teenage-loitered streets at the back of the Rec. I did it in 14:01.4. First mile (according to Garmin) was 7:01.5. Second: 6:59.8. MHR:167. The event was well organised with everyone going off in reverse order of their target finishing time, meaning that there was always the possibility of catching someone or being caught, both of which happened to me.

How was that? Want more like it? Then vote for me!

• Hey George, glad to hear you made it through boot camp, good luck with canvassing votes, I made it into the Juggling a Busy Lifestyle category so gladly not competing against you. Any tips you can pass my way to raise my visibility would be graciously accepted.

• Hi Gordon. I knew that winning smile would carry you through. I'm glad we're in different categories too! Marmite appears to be the key ingredient for success.
  • In case you think this thread has gone a bit dead, this is another one I started:

Here's a photo of my dog (he may not be called Marmite)

• It's been a bit of a heavy week for me as you can see from the above list. It's also been TMA week on the Open University course that I'm doing: E112 Introduction to sport, fitness and management. I was burning the midnight oil on Wednesday night getting the darn thing finished. Got to bed at 03:30 only for the alarm to go off, as usual at 05:30. Yesterday was a long stretch.

All good now, though, and the weekend is fast approaching!

• Good LR this morning. Just testing out how to post the details. You never know, it may come in handy image

Distance 14M, Time 2:08

Mile Avg Pace  Avg HR
    1      08:52       139
    2      09:25       137 (telephone call)
    3      09:05       140
    4      09:12       142
    5      09:14       140
    6      09:14       143
    7      09:20       142
    8      09:17       139
    9      10:13       142 (rather big hill)
    10    08:19       146 (surge to ~marathon pace)
    11    08:20       145
    12    08:40       150
    13    08:43       152
    14    10:14       143 

Any thoughts or questions?