Asics 26.2

Comments

• Plum,

You're making it complicated now. How much by volume or by alcohol level:

A pint of beer vs a pint of wine vs a pint of whisky? image

George

• Or by price?  That roughly takes into account alcohol content.
  • Or by degree of translucence? I have a friend who prefers his red wine to be able to be seen through if you hold the bottle up to the light. I prefer my red wine full-bodied and my beer dark.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Was planning on living like a monk, but could go all Trapist and live on Belgium beer alone. Might get liver damage and be skint, but all for a good cause. :-0
  • Ah! Chimay Bleue. Probably ticks all of the boxes!
  • At the risk of stating the obvious, I think the principal reason they've changed the criteria so there is less focus on cracking a specific time, is because in previous years this has resulted in spectacular failure.
    That said, not achieving a time you were going for doesn't MAKE you a failure. It might mean something else happened to stop that happening.

I maintain this competition is a bit of a poison chalice.
  • seren nos wrote (see)
    My only worry with this way of voting is that we could have 4 of the 5 aiming for between a 4 and 4:30 marathon and that would exclude lots of other groups

There was me thinking that the majority on the shortlist had a PB, or were aiming for, less than 4 hours and that the selected 5 could all be aiming for <3:30. 

Problem is, it's all very well grouping them by goals or whatever, but at the end of the day the training programme for a 'busy lifestyle' runner aiming for 4:30 is going to be hugely different to someone else with the same lifestyle aiming for 3 hours.  Once the winners are selected and are posting on their threads, anyone interested in following them will tend to group by finish time anyway.

It's not rocket science, that's why all the long-running threads in the marathon section are based on finish time.

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Cheerful Dave, I think you're right - I don't think I'll vote because to be honest I'm so slow I can't relate to any of you! I used to enjoy posting and following other runners who are around the 5hr mark shall we say, and got a lot from it. But I know from chatting to people at my club, those who finish in say the 3-4 hour mark are almost doing a different sport. It's a shame that there isn't at least one person who I could relate to because by joining in the threads you can learn so much, but I think I'd feel a bit embarrassed rocking up to the equivalent of a "sub 3:30 thread" in my current form asking dunce questions like how to fuel a 3hr plus long run, etc image

Good luck to those who are taking part though, and I hope that things work for you and that you achieve the goals you desire. It's an amazing opportunity, I'm sure.

*slopes off to the Outsider's Thread*
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Hi mitiog,

That's a shame. If its any help my last long run was 16 mile and took 2:52. Slow and steady on those, trying to build my endurance up. What's that? 10:45 m/m?

Want to build the speed for next year, got four/five months.
  • Shades marathon training thread is 7 years old, 50, 000 odd comments and attracts everyone from whippets to snails.
  • Is that not because Shades' plans are the only ones I've ever seen that are based purely on distance, regardless of what MP is going to be? You do each run at a pace based on MP, but for the speedy and the slow the distance is the same.

There's little point me following a time thread when they're on about running 16 miles in 2:52, when I'm not even going to race at that speed. Especially when they then make stupid comments about such speed.

• Derogatory comments Holly Liz?image
  • I think that RW have made it difficult for themselves if they want to cover all the bases (lifestyle, pace, ambition, etc) and have a vote. I agree with mitiog that it is difficult to relate to the runners at an extreme of the pace range that is different to yours, but, as EmmaC says, most people are in the mid-range. I followed Alison, Alex and Bridget last year and learned a lot from each of the threads. Steve was great at answering everybody's questions, whichever thread they were posted on.

If it helps, I'm aiming for somewhere between 3:29 and 3:59 and I aim to provide every detail about the training runs that I do, including heart rate, to allow comparisons to be made and conclusions to be drawn.

George

• On paper I think I should be able to run a much faster marathon off my 51-53 average ten k but in reality I know that 4:30 is more sensible target.

Hopefully I iwll be able to provide some ideas, inspiration etc and benefit from advice I am given (if I get through!). However even if not training advice I aim to provide some humour and I can give adetailled list of toilet facilities in the sussex area for anyone doing long runs in that part of the world. Winter training runs always have pit stoppability!image

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Bo Duke,

I have a 10K race this coming Sunday and if I average 10:45 then I shall be very very please. My typical LSR pace is about 12:30-13 min miles...so when I say slow I mean slow. I train 25-30mpw over 4 runs so I hope one day to improve. But I enjoy it and for me that's what counts.

I have a place in Edinburgh if anyone wants the challenge of coaching a slow runner!!!!

mitiog
  • mitiog.............don't despair....once these votes are finished there will be a Runnerworld forum selection........everyone goes on one thread and makes a pitch for a mentor........then one of the guys chose the lucky 6 and they got assigned mentors from the forums.......
    sounds like you would be an ideal candidate.......
    In fact this year the unofficial six were much more successful that the official 6........you just don't get the freebies image

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Thanks Seren, that sounds good! image
  • EmmaC wrote (see)
    Derogatory comments Holly Liz?image

I didn't read Hollys' comments as derogatory, I understand what she's saying.  If I'm right, it's that anyone and everyone can follow Shades plans as they are based on the distance you are running - you set your own speeds based on your ability so there is more room for discussion, whereas the other threads, particularly the faster ones, tend to exclude the back end of the pack from the pointy end.  True, there are lots of folks from the pointy end who offer advice to those at the back, but I think that many from the back end of the pack are rather reluctant to post / ask questions as they don't feel qualified to do so on the "faster" threads.

• I see what you mean - I certainly don't feel like I can offer advice for faster runners although I am good at tummy issues!

I suppose at track I never shout out encouragement to the really fast runners as I feel like I have no righ to do so!

However - it would seem I am the best in my club at one thing - I am the bendiest runner when we do the stretches!

• I don't think that Helen was suggesting that she'd offer advice, more feel uncomfortable about asking questions on the say sub 3.30 thread because she wouldn't be guaranteed of a civil and sensible answer.

• Really - that's not fab is it?

Hey ho! The fastest I've ventured to is sub 4:30 - a very happy home! image

• I can't help but wonder if RW checked with the shortlisted if they actually wanted the place afetr the bootcamp........maybe a few were put off.........
    as 2 have not posted on the forums at all yet and 1 has only posted once......

not exactly showing that they understand the deal is two ways......
  • That's more it, Jeepers. Someone who runs at 3 hr level is going to have very little idea of what it's like to be aiming at 5 hours. It's just so completely removed that it has almost no cross over or point of reference.

I'm sure they'd be civil on a fast thread, but one suspects that they'd have such different experiences and expectations that any responses would be irrelevant. And it's very easy for the slower runners to quickly feel alienated by the combination of words like "slow" and "10 min/miles".

Thus far some of those shortlisted seem to be showing signs of doing just that, which would put me off voting for them and viewing those threads.

• Not me! I aim at 8 mm for 10k, 9 for 1/2 mara and absolutely anything goes when it gets to marathon!

I would just like to run a marathon quicker than I manage to give birth!

If I am lucky enough to make it through I hope I'll be able to share the advice that I've been lucky enough to recieve and hopefully motivate others through the cold, dark training months (as well as getting some motivation back).

• The bootcamp was really great, but you might be right Seren- if I hadn't followed a Super Six thread on here before I might not have known what I was letting myself in for.

For me, the community bit is the best bit. No-one at home lets me yap on about my running which I can do here! And no-one really understands what it's like to have those "is it a nibble or is it something worse?! should I go out and test it?!" moments.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)
    mitiog.............don't despair....once these votes are finished there will be a Runnerworld forum selection........everyone goes on one thread and makes a pitch for a mentor........then one of the guys chose the lucky 6 and they got assigned mentors from the forums....... sounds like you would be an ideal candidate....... In fact this year the unofficial six were much more successful that the official 6........you just don't get the freebies image

I'll second that.  No freebies but if its honest advice and encouragement you're after then its by far the better competition.  

seren nos wrote (see)
    I can't help but wonder if RW checked with the shortlisted if they actually wanted the place afetr the bootcamp........maybe a few were put off......... as 2 have not posted on the forums at all yet and 1 has only posted once...... not exactly showing that they understand the deal is two ways......
    image Mmmmm.
  • I know one chap is on holiday!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    At least he's having his holiday before it starts rather than halfway through......image
  • I know one of the girls is away too