trail show recommendation

15West15West ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I normally wear Brooks GTS Adrenaline's, and run on a mixture of road and trails. Recently the trails parts have turned very  muddy and I'm slipping all over the shop. Any recommendation for any decent shoes out there which are good for a mix of road and trail, I was thinking about the Adrenaline ASR as I am very happy with the GTS, but ASR doesn't get such good reviews.

Comments

• Roclite 315s - they stick like spikes in sloppy mud, and I find them fine for upto 5 miles or so on the road...
  • I'll second that.

Good on firmer trails and bits of tarmac and excellent grip on mud.

a good all round compromise

• what about trail asics lahar?? (am also looking for trail shoes)
  • Asic`s lahars have quite poor off-road grip....

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

ok - thanks for suggestions. May look at the Roclite's after christmas, see if I can pick any up a bit cheaper in sales.  The way the weather's been up here in the NW I reckon I'm just going to need some wellies.

Just realised silly spelling error in this thread title!

• Tested my new Inov8 Mudclaws on the weekend. These are so good through serious (horse and rambler churned up gloop), they're unbelievable. Cannot imagine any situation where these would slip! Did a few miles of road as well and they were ok. Also have roclites, but Mudclaws are way better.

Also have a pair of asics off roaders - forget the model - but they have no grip at all. Use these for the gym.

• thanks for the tip-offs on Asics, will stay away...
  • I run in Asics Enduros, did all my cross country races in them and as I run off road only I use them mainly and I love them. I even ran a road marathon in them but for different reasons as I do not have a paitr of road running shoes. I agree they are all over trail, have been eyeing Mudclaws for muddy trails, have got Inov8 leaflet and these are supposed to be for soft surface. But then also fell in love with Salomon Speedcross, they will do fine for muddy trails and some road sections.
  • The inov8 "terrain" recommendations I have found to be pretty much spot on.

For soft stuff, the Mudclaws stick like "stuff" to a wool blanket but the rubber studs are fairly soft i.e. on harder stuff, they will wear out fairly quickly. For muddy trails I tend to stick to Roclites but also use a pair of Mudrocs as well.

A few pals have had issues with heel rubbing on the Mudclaws - fairly sure this will have been covered elsewhere on the forums somewhere but it is possible to steam and remould the plastic heel counter in the shoes using hot water and steam. Simply wait till the plastic feels "soft", stick them on (with your ususal running socks) tie the laces and go for a short run. The plastic then moulds to your own heel shape !

• BIGMIKE wrote (see)

Tested my new Inov8 Mudclaws on the weekend. These are so good through serious (horse and rambler churned up gloop), they're unbelievable. Cannot imagine any situation where these would slip!

Also absolutely superb on 1-in-2 downhill peat!, not an inch of slippage!!

(I've got the 330's)
  • Purchased the roclite 315`s yesterday. tried them out today.2miles on the road and 5miles off road and found them comfortable on both surfaces and no problems though the mud. Well worth the money as i was unsure as whether i wanted to spend this much. I would definately recommend these shoes

• I also have 'Roc-Lite 315' & they're almost as good as the 'M-C's, but in extremis they lose out to the 'M-C'

'M-C's self-clean, as the pyramid studs on the soles are tapered (like upside down pyramids - reallyl!), so they get thinner at the points

• I've got ASICS Gel Trabucos. They do the job.