Amsterdam Marathon 2012

Can anyone tell me the date of the Amsterdam Marathon 2012? Has it been officially confirmed? I cant see anything on their website that tells you. I think it might be 21st October but I daren't book flights and hotel unitil I know for sure.

Comments

• I did it this year and booked in in November of last year, so if the date is not out yet it will certainly be out in the next week or so. 

Good luck it is a really enjoyable experience for both runners and supporters.  

Regards Jeremy

• I have just recieved the following email from the organiser, which might be of interest to anyone considering doing the marathon. I have just looked at hotels and they are certainly getting booked up and those that are available are very expensive.

21 October 2012!

There is a big congress in Amsterdam during the same weekend of the Amsterdam Marathon. In case you are sure that you want to attend don’t wait too long to make an hotel reservation.

Online registration will open around 15 January 2012 at www.tcsamsterdammarathon.nl

Met vriendelijke groet/With kind regards,

Yvonne Calf
    Secretaresse
    Stichting Sportevenementen Le Champion
  • I am just researching the Amsterdam Marathon, I ran a marathon this year for first time Loch Ness in Scotland in 4hrs 7mins. Can anyone tell me is this guaranteed entry? As I see people are booking accommodation now and obviously I don't want to book accommodation if it is like the London marathon or any of the others that are balloted where I wont definitely get a place.

Can anyone give me a quick guide to what this marathon is like i gather it is flat, but what is the weather generally like compared with Scotland and what is the terrain like is it all road? Also would you recommend this as my second marathon?

Isla
  • Isles

Amsterdam is not like London- there is no ballott, you simply register and pay you entry fee which gives you a guaranteed entry.  You also don't have to rush, you have months to sign up before the places fill up.

I did Amsterdam this year, it was my second marathon and I absolutely loved it.  It's as flat as a pancake, all on road and closed to traffic.  I think the weather depends on the year, this year the conditions were perfect- average temperature of 9 degrees and sunny.  The organisation was brilliant and an unforgettable start and finish at the stadium.  Great for pb as well. 

I would highly recommend it and will definitely do it again sometime.

• Hi Mon77

Thanks for that nice to get some positive feedback, think i will do it as it sounds good. I was reading that next years accommodation getting booked up quite quickly already due to conference on at same time so thats why i want to get on with making a decision and booking accommodation

Cheers

Isla
  • Think there's some conference or other on computers!? Hopefully won't cause too many issues. I usually do Amsterdam. It's not the most scenic or well supported but it's pretty fast and easy. Start and finish in the Olympic stadium is also nice. The should still be quite a bit of time to get accommodation sorted I would hope. If I'm around, I'll join. I might be traveling w work however image

Mon77 nailed it in terms of weather and terrain, plus you can enter right up until sept.
  • sounds a good race
  • Also ran this year.. Great event, very small scale compared to London but just as nice!

Finishing in the olympic stadium and great weather made it a memorable event.

Good luck
  • Good to know !
    This will (hopefully) be my FIRST marathon. REALLY fancy this as i've always wanted to see some of europe.

www.tcsamsterdammarathon.nl

Off to check out the Terms and conditions now. SEE YOU THERE -)
  • Just signed up for this, its going to be my 1st marathon so just hope i can get round it! Got to admit it being flat was a big selling point on me doing it!
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

Just signed up too.

Did it back in 2007. Great race tho river section was a bit dull & blowy.

Very flat apart from a slight rise (underpass) at @ 38 km. Wouldn`t notice on a 5 or 20 km run but towards the end of a marathon it`s a bit tiring.

Flight booked (£90 courtesy of Easyjet) and a hotel too. Just need to start running again...

• Im doing Amsterdam this year and it will be my 2nd Marathon.

Entry sorted, flights sorted and a very nice apartment sorted image i go to Amsterdam a lot anyway and i cant wait as its a beautiful city. 

• BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

Good place to run a first marathon. Not as busy as some of the humungus ones like London, Berlin or NY but big enough to feel exciting, if that makes sense.

Went for my first run in ages today. 3km. Epic.

• Am considering Amsterdam this year, although bit concerned about the hotels thing.... I don't want to committ until after Brighton Marathon read that registration is open as late as September anyone kknow if that is really the case?
  • I have done half or full since 2005 and yes, you have alway been able to enter up until a month before the actual race date (first few times I did it you could enter "Post Regristration" on the day before.

You can also switch from the full to the half (but no refund on the difference in entry fees)

• Also thinking about this one for my Autumn marathon but concerned about the lack of atmosphere that some people mention. Is it really poor Beetle and how bad does it get out along the river?

I'm looking for a sub 2:30 time and the ideal for me would be flat as anything but with a little support along the route to take my mind of the run.

Will have to start looking for a hotel I guess
  • It is quiet out along the river and back, but there have been people out on boats cheering and playing music. It was also well supported at the turn point as there are houses there
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

MC Dave - perhaps I`m being harsh.

If you`re looking for a million + people lining the route, forget it.

I suppose what I`m trying to say is that if you run NY, Chicago, Berlin or London, you feel that the whole city gives itself over to the marathon for the weekend. Amsterdam is not like that. It is, however, welcoming and quite atmospheric in its own way. I did it back in 2007 and really enjoyed it and would have no hesitation in recommending it.

There are a reasonable number of spectators - at least in the city sections and Amsterdam is a warm and friendly place.

With regard to the river section  - it is pretty quiet but lots of people like it because it`s quite scenic. The industrial estate is a bit grim but it`s a very short section.

It`s definitely a fast course. It`s right up there with Chicago or Berlin (unless there`s a stiff breeze along the Amstel).

Amanda - re hotels: there may be a couple of conferences going on but there are so many hotels that I can`t imagine you will have any difficulty finding somewhere, were you to look in April.  Amsterdam must have tens of thousands of tourists at any one time - throughout the year. I can`t see a couple of conferences having  a huge impact - especially if you aim for the smaller/less well known establishments.

• BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Anyone still doing this ? How`s the training going ? I`m nursing an Achilles problem (not too serious - at least not yet!) but managing to make slow and steady progress. Anyone doing VLM as a warm up ?
  • oldscotiaoldscotia ✭✭✭
    Was intending to do VLM and training was going well...then I was hit by the dreaded planatar fascitiis and have now decided to withdraw from VLM and hope I'll be fit for Amsterdam.
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that OS. Sounds an absolute b*gger. I`ve never had the dreaded p.f. (had just about everything else). I suppose it`s a question rest and rolly things ?
  • Signed up for this yesterday.  Running Paris a month today.  Amsterdam will be my 5th overall.
  • I have signed up for Amsterdam this year, having loved it last year, this will be my 6th. Have Edinburgh in May, I would loved to have done the VLM, but just didn't get in. I wish you could transfer places with the VLM as you can with Edinburgh.

OldScotia, will your place just get wasted now, or can you do something with it?

Regards,

P.

• Amsterdam will be my 3rd - can't wait - any idea on good hotels anyone that's been there and got the T-shirt so to speak!?
  • oldscotiaoldscotia ✭✭✭

Paul,

I can carry my VLM entry over until next year. You have to pay the entry fee again but at least you are guaranteed a place and you dont have to go through the lottery process again. Good luck in the Edinburgh. I have done it the last two years, once in very hot conditions then last year in very windy conditions. I did Amsterdam in 2010 and the conditions were perfect.

Regards,

OS

• Paris done and dusted in 3:24:39 so all thoughts towards Amsterdam now!
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

Nice one LR. A PB ?

Have always wanted to do Paris. Would you recommend it ?

• Aye it was Beetle, and 21 seconds under my 'gold' target so no complaints.

Its the 4th time I've done Paris so I guess I'm an advocate.  Beautiful course, generally flat (couple of drags and a couple of short sharp rises coming out of tunnels), first come first served entry, 40,000 entrants with about 35,000 running.  Far more a runner's event than London with a faster average finish time as a result.  Only down side is the weather is variable - done it in 31c sun and then Sunday in 6c with strong winds but that's the same for any north European spring marathon.

• I'm in now as well... image

2nd marathon for me - first one overseas.