Can't afford Roclite 315's

SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭
I need the trail bit to be good as it's hilly and slippery round these parts but normally have at least 2-5 miles on the road included so they can't be too hardcore with studs etc.

All suggestions welcomed - and I don't give a toss if they're last year's model or even older - just need not to be sliding about so much especially being dragged along by two greyhounds!

Comments

• my missus runs in Mizono Wave Harrier 2's.  She's been through umpteen pairs in the last xx years and they have done her proud.  I'm sure (if you shop around on the interweb) you can find them for about £40ish...

edit to add...

I should have added that she ONLY runs off road... and has gone through the mara distance about 35 times in races in the above shoes....  no blisters, little slippage in the mud, good grip on the hard stuff too.  (they do pong though)!! image

• As a fellow runner who enlists the help of my dog to drag me along, and also on a budget, I'll keep an eye on this thread to hear what others recommend. image  I mainly run on the roads at the moment, but trying to get out on the trails a bit more as I progress.
  • Have you tried ebay? I managed to get a new pair of inov8 mudrocs for about £30 a few weeks ago...

• Thanks PSC & Drummond - I'll have to get looking quick before Evie beats me to it!

PSC, are the Mizuno's ok for the road too or too lumpy underfoot - I had a proper off road pair once about 15 yrs ago and it was like running on marbles!
  • I know what you mean about the Inov-8s - the price have just got ridiculous of late.

I second the wave harrier - good grip off road but with some cushioning for a mile or 2 on the road.  You should be able to pick those up for under £50 (or even less if you can find last years model). Also look out for Adidas Kanadia (not as grippy but more cushioning.) My wife picked some up for £35 a couple of months ago. 

• I've seen the Adidas Kanadia recommended a few times before.  How do they size up?  Pete S, did your wife have to go a half size, or even full size up at all?
  • I got some Inov-8 Roclite 260s about a month ago - they've been great on mud, grass, forest tracks and road since and half price too:

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/INO84/inov~8-lady-roclite-260-trail-running-shoes/

p.s if you haven't voted yet for the ASICS Target 26.2 team - please consider giving me a chance:

Hayley

• Thanks SB - I tried some inov-8's on today and in all styles needed to get 1/2 size smaller than I would normally for running shoes - did you find the same?
  • As Pete says. For a mile or two the mizonos are fine. But any longer and you might want more cushioning. S'pose it depends how hard you slap your feet down.
  • Evie May wrote (see)
    I've seen the Adidas Kanadia recommended a few times before.  How do they size up?  Pete S, did your wife have to go a half size, or even full size up at all?

Own a pair of Kanadia TR3`s and required a 1/2 size bigger, there quite heavy and don`t feel very responsive, the little lugs on the sole are too close together so they clog up quite quickly, the heels quite high so they don`t feel very stable over technical terrain like rocks/roots etc...

The Adidas Adizero XT3`s a far superior shoe in every way....  

• Hi Sunluvva - I get the usual size - they do feel a bit roomy at first but I have big flappy feet that seem to  spread out once I get going.  image
  • Evie May wrote (see)
    I've seen the Adidas Kanadia recommended a few times before.  How do they size up?  Pete S, did your wife have to go a half size, or even full size up at all?

My wife is a 4 1/2 but has the kanadia in a 5. Not sure they had half sizes anyway an she has wide feet. She's been chuffed to bits with them and they've been great for training and a couple of off-road 10ks. Not been too wet or muddy though - not sure how well they would cope with that.

PSC wrote (see)

(they do pong though)!! image

Not sure what it is about the wave harrier 2s but mine used to stink like cat p###!

Doesn't seem so bad with the harrier 3 though image 

• Roland McCartney wrote (see)

Own a pair of Kanadia TR3`s and required a 1/2 size bigger, there quite heavy and don`t feel very responsive, the little lugs on the sole are too close together so they clog up quite quickly, the heels quite high so they don`t feel very stable over technical terrain like rocks/roots etc...

The Adidas Adizero XT3`s a far superior shoe in every way....  

Pete S wrote (see)

My wife is a 4 1/2 but has the kanadia in a 5. Not sure they had half sizes anyway an she has wide feet. She's been chuffed to bits with them and they've been great for training and a couple of off-road 10ks. Not been too wet or muddy though - not sure how well they would cope with that.

Thank you both. image

• Thanks everyone - I've ordered a pair of the one's Sleepy Bear suggested - they had a pair in my size which is unusual in the sales. Fingers crossed they fit ok.
  • Fantastic - glad you got sorted.  Hope you love them as much as I do mine image