Options

Random sights

Comments

• Options
    It wasn't recently. Was a few months back, maybe July or August
  • Options
    makes more sense, as I'm sure you would be safe at the moment
  • Options
    Maybe you could take one of the llamas along for protection - they look like they could be a bit handy for creating a diversion
  • Options
    I think I'd get enough exercise running to Basingstoke to borrow the llama!
  • Options

I'm sure Choisty'd bring it half way for you! image 

Can you ride them?  Perfect lift home for an out 'n' back...

• Options
    I'd bring you a llama, just worried as to what might happen to it along the canal image
  • Options
    Sleepy bear - Chris is right, they are belted Galloways, as he says usually Black and white (proper panda style), but also come in red and white and dun and white - amazingly you've managed all three on that picture. You couldn't have represented the breed better if you tried! image Lovely beaties.. I'm jealous now. I saw a weasel on my run this morning, but otherwise the only wildlife was that which hadn't made it home from the pub yet from last night..
  • Options
    Fair one - bring  the buffalo too - no-one would dare mess with him!
  • Options

Choisty - the easiest way to tell the difference between llamas and alpacas is the size. A full grown llama can be approx 6ft (measured to the top of it's head), alpacas are smaller (about 4.5-5ft). Llamas also have slightly longer heads, but if you don't have a handy alpaca with you for comparison that might be less useful.

Glad they are being friendly, they are lovely animals but definitely ones to keep on the right side of, when they spit at you it's not just high-velocity saliva but fermenting green stomach contents too. (They are really skilled at it and an amazing aim too - put all the runners who misfire and hit other runners trainers in busy races to shame!). Very wise not to mess with the buffalo, especially if they have wee ones around..

• Options
    You'd definitely need beer goggles to go there!!!  image
  • Options
    and beer nose pegs...I really can't say it enough they stink!
  • Options
    do ilamas/alpaca's have fighting teeth that you need a vet to file down? Or have I made that up?
  • Options
    Night running in Manchester, by the canal! you're either very brave, very fast or from out of the area,
  • Options

Good knowledge HP!!

Llamas/alpacas/guanacos - my favourite camelid! -/vicunas do have fighting teeth or 'fangs', - modified canine and incisor teeth which erupt in males around 2-3yrs and slightly later in females. Some vets do advocate removal of these, especially from males, as they can injure other males with them.

• Options

My thoughts exactly ECG!

Check you two out with your factoids. image

• Options

Sadly my factoids are limited to a single area - weird animal facts - which while great for two minutes of the pub quiz, doesn't help with much else! Ah well, we all have our uses..

• Options
    Another camelid factoid; cmels milk curdles when used in coffee!
  • Options

I was up visiting my parents and I took the dog out just before going to bed at around 11:30, and a man came past, running down the white line in the middle of the road, backwards.

And last week running round Virginia Water we were confronted by about 300 Santas.

• Options
    Haha EG Graham, I'm not brave, or fast, but I am not from Manchester! I have lived here for nearly 7 years now though!

I used to live by the Ashton Canal (that runs from the city centre to the Etihad stadium and beyond) and used to run at night fairly regularly down there, and never seen a soul excluding security at the city grounds.

I live nearer the Oxford Rd train station now, and the canal takes you down by Dukes 92 direction, and it was the eye opener!

Honestly, I've never felt unsafe at any point when I've been running in Manchester!
  • Options
    Neily - I lived there at one time and it's a strange place, one other thing, when you run around in the dark, you don't wear a balaclava and gloves do you?
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I've seen a weasel, a slow worm, a badger, deer, hares, buzzards, and a cuckoo (which you normally hear, but don't often see).

There was a bloke on a three-wheeled chariot-type thing being pulled by dogs, another time I saw a chap (adult) on a tricycle with racing handlebars, and most random of all, a pair of aircraft seats which where by the gate to a farm field.

These were gone by the time I came back past half an hour later (some people will nick anything!)

• Options
    On mentioning dogs you reminded me, that I went past a full pack of hunting dogs out for the morning excercise, must of been over 100 on a narrowish bridleway. controlled by two handles on horseback.  With a quick shout the all filed left so I could pass, no trouble from the dogs a cordial "morning" from the handlers.  It made it so clear it's never the dogs but the owners when yo're attacked.
  • Options
    did see a courting couple years ago and the odd pair of ownerless knickers. Generally not much else.
  • Options

So STU would that be ownerless knickers AND knickerless owners then?

Ba dum tish

• Options
    As long as they didn't belong to the wildlife - I'm happy!
  • Options
    Half_Pint wrote (see)

So STU would that be ownerless knickers AND knickerless owners then?

Ba dum tish

lol imageimage  Found money too but that isn't exciting really.
  • Options
    Sleepy Bear wrote (see)
    As long as they didn't belong to the wildlife - I'm happy!
    sleepy I have now gotta image of a cow in a pair of drawers that wont leave my head image  (and I don't mean my ex)
  • Options
    Bah! Wilkie! wrote (see)

I've seen a weasel, a slow worm, a badger, deer, hares, buzzards, and a cuckoo (which you normally hear, but don't often see).

There was a bloke on a three-wheeled chariot-type thing being pulled by dogs, another time I saw a chap (adult) on a tricycle with racing handlebars, and most random of all, a pair of aircraft seats which where by the gate to a farm field.

These were gone by the time I came back past half an hour later (some people will nick anything!)

Dry land mushing; like Sled dog mushing, but with wheels and usually no snow. image  I do that with a couple of my dogs.  (And it's the reason I started running with them, in an attempt to give them and me more exercise when we can't get out mushing.)  The "chariot" is known as a rig. image

I think possibly when I'm out running I am the strangest sight out there, with a belt and bungee line on attaching me to a hyper husky at the other end of the line.... image

• Options

hey cool - I've been looking into the whole cani-x caper - have seen a few photos of other people with terriers.  I reckon I'll be getting some odd looks with my wee JRT in front of me too.  Do you find the waist belt makes a big difference - I can't decide whether to just run with her on a bungee lead at the side of me.

(Don't worry - we'll both be wearing pants tho hers will be metaphorical fur ones)image