Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    MrB - don't give Dan that Gunnersbury is a quick course :¬)

Not sure December is the time to hunt a PB

Off out for a curry which should be done in December !!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Padams - nice one, still racing well off limited miles. Nice run from Mrs Padams too.

MrB - sounds like a decent run out though. Indicates decent leg speed that will convert well with a load more weeks of PnD on top of it. Did the special one run ?

• Options
    Selbs: hope that Mrs. Selbs is ok.

Nice racing, Padams and well done to Mrs. P. on the pb.

I agree with TR, Mr. Boat; that sounds like a solid effort from you and encouraging at this time of year.

Feel very tired and flat so have taken a rest day today instead of the planned MLR, especially as I had to get all the Christmas shopping done this weekend so that I can deposit everything at my parents' house next weekend. Hoping an early night will fix things; I suspect I probably could train but being cautious just in case I hadn't shaken this cold off as well as I thought!
  • Options

TR: yes he ran; came second behind a clubmate. Think he's tucked up in his bed now with cold.

Jools: Think a rest day is a good idea if  you're feeling flat. You really can do without your cold going to your chest etc....there's plenty of it about around here right now. Sure you've got enough fitness to carry you through now anyway.

Off out for a few beers....last chance before P&D kicks off. Won't be totally abstaining but plan to take it easy and watch the diet; think I could do with dropping a few pounds if I want to seriously target 2:45.

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Padams - super time off (presumably) modest mileage. Are you PB hunting in Barca? Looks like marders is still in fine form, with his big race in little China coming up. Also saw a solid run from JI on the same results list

Mr Boat - ignore Gobi. Gunnersbury is a brutally tough parkrun course. Must be worth at least two minutes on a flat track. Maybe three. Or maybe not! At any rate I want to be sub 17 before my main spring marathon if a sub 2h45 is going to be likely.

Selbs - hope all OK with the trouble and strife.

Wardi - thanks for asking mate. She's still with us, but in the home stretch. Christmas seems to be a target. Done really well as the initial diagnosis was 2-6 months and that was over six months ago.
  • Options

DanA well done on win.

Padams well done on 4th place and Mrs Padam on pb.

MrB well done on 10k time and prize.

Jools wise decision to have a rest you will be better for it.

Turkey Trot Half Marathon for me today. Was hoping to get under 1-25 but suffered with sore back and hamstring which was my on silly fault. Went to gym on Monday did a core session and over did it and had a stiff back for 3 days which prevented me from running all week. Woke up this morning thinking about pulling out but we had a fair few runners from our club racing and at least 6 of us going head to head! Needless to say 3 of them beat me  which they truly deserved. I came home in 1.26.42 just missed winning my vet category the winner was 2 places in front!

Rest day tomorrow so another core session in gym! Will take it easy that's for sure.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

MrB - thats a fair investment and sacrifice then. That PnD plan requires a lot of long hours early doors (esp Weds and Fri) so youdeserve to go well again.

DanA - Blimey, didnt realise that. Sounds like you have some tough days ahead, but some to cherish too.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Nice run T/Runnner, 2nd codger aint bad!

Good analysis Charlie!

Sorry to hear that Dan, hope she makes it through Xmas.  Being at my Mum's bedside last xmas while all around was bunting & celebration was both a bizarre & melancholy experience. 

Cracking run Padams, well done to the Mrs too!

Good 10k Mr Boat, reasonable prize haul too.

TR.. hope your dead horse is exhumed soon. image

12m on/off road club run went well, most of it in moderate pithing rain.  I was pathfinder for a few club newbies who didn't know the way so had to make the odd stop at junctions to make sure they didn't get lost!  Got them all back to base safely, mud larked & wet.  Good day out with pub grub to follow in front of a proper log fire.

• Options

Cracking HM Padams, well done. (I have had blister problems in races (when longer training has been OK) too -- maybe higher sustained shear forces at work...)

Booty well earnt there Mr Boat.

tigger -- sounds like it went well considering your overwrought back.

Satisfying day there Wardi. You earnt the pub warmth all the more having been rained on.

Take it easy Jools, you've got a huge mileage credit in the bank already and can do as little as you like now!

Gobi>13 miles for me today as I planned a route for the Newbury parkrun
    It will be more popular if you keep it to 5k image

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

DanA - cheers, yes, modest mileage as you suggest. Only going to be about 1,400 miles for the year so <30mpw. However, I am at least consistent with virtually every week being 20-35M. Given that mileage, I'm not going to be getting near a PB in Barca, and it's not really an A race either. Similar to last time (2:33:xx) would be good.

JI was there - didn't get a chance to talk to him but spotted him before the start.

trunner - decent run considering. That was the race that got me into running - ran it as a mate lived nearby and he persuaded me to do it. He then got injured and didn't run it, but I did reasonably well off no running training, so decided to start doing a bit.

Jools - sensible decision. The MLR isn't going to do much for you at this point anyway, better to be healthy.

• Options
    Padams (and Mrs) - great time(s) considering the lack of focus on running. Great stuff.

Selbs - I hope things improve asap

I'm tired. Lots of things happening at work + general Christmas manic activities (inc kids sports, social and school). I fly to Los Angeles tomorrow only to fly back on Thurs.....9th trip to the West Coast in 2011.

Just made it over 30M last week. I will look forward to doing a few miles along the Pacific on Wed.

• Options
    Padams - Great HM, and congrats to the wife.

DanA - Sorry to read about your mum, am I right in thinking she's WSM based? If so and you fancy a run just let me know.

Selbs - Good running and hope things continue to improve.

MrB - That's dedication, not sure I could do it.

Jools - Not long now, how are you feeling about it?

96 miles last week, could have gone over 100 but I'm not in the habit of chasing miles, I've played that game before and got injured. Everything feels good so should do similar this week.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Wardi – more decent miles there

Padams – similar yearly mileage to me. I did nearly 50% of mine in Jan to March though.

Coro – you have a hectic life to balance, just run for fun when you get the chance.

Went for an easy womble this morning to look for signs of life in the dead horse

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

awesome run Padams of such low mileage - but i guess when u are still training aerobically 40-50 hours (?) a week - the normal weekly mileage "rules" for most runners don't realyl apply quite so much (plus when u are that good).

Wardi - sunds a top day that!

Tigger - thats a decent effort off not perfect build up.

MrBoat - great 10km.  My 10km PB was 36 flat and that was good enough to get me to sub 2:45, although i have never really fully focused on a 10km (that said i still give them full beans when i am on the line!)

Nice parkrunning DanA.  I should really get back to my local one for a trot at some point, but i always seem to want to fit a longer one in at that time on a weekend.

Well after all night up Saturday night and 3 hours at hospital Sunday, wife seems fine now (thanks for the well wishes everyone) - she had ruptured somethig which caused a lot of pain and vomiting, but now seems to be doing just fine and will be 100% fine, just one of those things that can happen if you're unlucky apparently.

Don't envy you all that travelling Coro - 3 trips to Kansas this year, and one back to NZ all took there toll on me.

The enforced rest day was good as my knee was pretty sore after the 20 miler on Saturday morning.  Will test it out with a gentle jog later.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

selbs - I assume you mean 40-50 hours per month, rather than week - that would be impressive training! But yes, I'm going to be around 550 hours training for the year, so an average of about 46 hours per month, and the summer months were much higher than this. That would be a lot if all running (although that would be much harder on the body).

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    Padams - yeah - i know u do an impressive amount of training but correct i meant a month oops! - over double what i look like hitting for the year in hours.  For someone of your running speed i guess that would be approx 85-90 miles a week running.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

SL – I was my usual unathletic self at 8:XX pace so didn’t feel any worse than usual.

Selbs – good news that the boss is ok.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I've done 638hrs so far this year, I trained heavy early season as I was still being a duathlete/cyclist. Late season has been a bit shit so hrs are right down.

Charlie - do you know how many people have cracked the 5km joke ? I ran to the venue and looked at 2 courses then ran home.

Curry night last night so no training this morning as I got to bed this morning :¬0

• Options

Sorry Gobi, but hey I was the first on here!

Glad all well selbs -- I missed the initial report of trouble. Reminds me of having my appendix whipped out as a kid... (still have a strangly knobbly scar, I think they left a few bits and bobs in there).

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Charlie - indeed :¬)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    DanA - I broke my marathontalk duck and listened to that Steve Jones inerview. I nearly reached for the off buttton when he said that he dropped out of his first marathon at 16M, luckily I let it continue. he wasnt short of self belief was he !..........slowed in the 2nd 1/2 at Chicago 1985 (but still did that 2nd 1/2 in 64:XX) after starting off at 1:55 pace and going through 1/2 way just outside his own 1/2 mara WR. They dont make em like that anymore ! Bloody good job he didnt have a gadget on to tell him he was running too fast and convince him to dnf !
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Anyone else out this evening? Safe to say I got very wet but my pace for the reps was pretty solid again.
  • Options
    Gobi - yep got soaked last night and nearly got blown away this morning
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Managed 10 miles this morning before sideways rain and gale force winds made the last half mile home rather WET..

Oh well another solid run banked away.
  • Options
    Yup, I ran last night as I had some chamber music parts to deliver. It was very wet and very windy. I saw one other runner in 7M!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

No evening window training time at this end so I wasnt out there. The wind and rain banging on the window all night made me think twice about getiing up for this mornings turbo. My HR was better than it was on Sunday but its still a little low.

Gobi - you must be getting healthier then if you are doing reps now, nice one.

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Loving this weather. Got a full on Bridget Jones soaking from a lovely van driver this morning. Sure he swerved over to get me. Luckily I clocked the name of the company and the vehicle reg, so I will spend the next week plotting some totally over the top revenge. Any suggestions?

SL - didn't realise you were down WSM way. I've spent a lot of time running up and down the beach there since the summer. Will let you know if I'm that way again soon. Whereabouts are you based?

TR - loved the fact he ran the second 5k of the Chicago marathon in 13:43 - totally nads out running. Did you check out the 10k track race referred to? Awesome
  • Options
    Dan - Based in Winscombe (smack bang on the mendips), about 7 miles from WSM.
  • Options
    Still here sucking all the comments and advice up. Running is still going well, getting plenty of base miles in but speed is still there (well speed for an old fart anyhow)
    Track session on Mondays is not getting easier but is getting quicker and the longer stuff is more comfortable though I am still not pushing it hard and still doing the planned bike stuff as far as possible to prevent me breaking down
    Plan is to pick a late January half and see how far under 1;25 I can get and then make a decision on VLM based on that...... seem sensible?