ASICS 26.2 Consolation Thinking

Hi all

Well time's ticking along and since I have no reference point for actually winning something as momentous as this my thoughts have turned to how to cheer myself up if the news is otherwise... image

I've just ordered myself the most adorable pair of violet suede shoes which will be my reward for putting myself forward in the first place.  As I said in Birmingham - the Boot Camp felt like a prize anyway so I'm over the moon and hope to be a gracious loser in the overall comp.

Like a few of us also said - it'd be fab to meet up with our respective ability groups and others at the consolation half marathons where we can. (Again - another prize - happy days!)  Even if we only start together, I think it would be lovely to see the process through together.

For those of you who were subjected to what can only be described as attempted cyber-humiliation - please don't take it personally - I found none of you  annoying, irritating or otherwise and I will be following the winners with much interest as I now have my eye on the Kielder Marathon later in the year. Yes - I'm gonna bite the bullet (subject to a non-clash with a possible trip to Australia)and take the risk that I might end up not running again afterwards. Still, hopefully I'll learn enough to minimise that risk.  How those of you who do multiple marathons do it is beyond me.  Just amazing!

Anyway - my fingers and toes are crossed - Happy Christmas to one and all imageimageimage

Comments

• I loved Kielder this year and am definitely up for it in 2012. I can't PM you Sleepy Bear but would be fab to see you there.. image 

• Fantastic!

I think I have now updated my settings but if you don't get a response immediately forgive me - I have a mission with existing email and facebook but will try to remember another one to check.  Also will be floating round any Kielder thread that pops up once entries open. 

It looks just beautiful! We're just checking dates for Australia and then I can commit/not image

• Yey! It was stunning this year - even in the rain. Really friendly atmosphere too I thought, (though I wasn't at the front where all the 'fuzzy' garmin and bus action happened!!). Definitely bring a change of clothes for going home though. I hadn't realised quite how muddy I was and stopped for petrol in a village in the Borders on the drive home. The garage attendant saw me walking in to pay and stopped me at the door. Had to pay on the forecourt and get him to fetch me my snacks as he was worried about the mess I'd make on the floor image image

• My consoltation thinking is Palma Marathon.... Scary but a beatuiful race I bet.

I can't stand the tension any more! Anyone know when we'll hear? image

• Top tip Rosie!  Poor you standing on the forecourt! I have a little comedy image in my head that's eliciting an 'awwwwwwwwwwww' response.

I know Gemma - waiting's always the worst bit eh! But Palma sounds like something to look forward to for sure.  The one in Norway that starts at midnight always fascinates me but not sure I'd be any good at that time of night - I like my sleep! Surprise eh! image

• What about consolation for 40/40? image The ones who didn't make it past Bootcamp? (sulks)

Can I come and play too?

Best of luck to all of you - has been really interesting reading the threads even if some of the regulars were a bit abrasive!

• Absolutely - sorry I meant for all 19 and 40 by the title - now I see it's a little confusing!

As soon as I hear anything and /or choose (if I get a choice) my half I'll let you know. Would be great to see everyone again!  Am sorry - you didn't get through - I don't suppose you heard why not?  Though I'm not sure that'd make it any easier. image

Am getting really bored of waiting now - can't sit still, daren't leave PC/phone signal - please, please RW if you're reading this - can we have a decision yet? pretty please......

• I am doing a few races next year and it would be great to meet up and run and chat..........been an interesting day........................ here are some of my races subject to life and injury.........let me know what you are up to. A mate of mine did Kielder and found it tough, he did 4.50 but has just recovered from Bowel Cancer but said it was a real up and down challenge.

Grindleford Gallop 22 mile fell race in March in the Peak District really scenic run though tough if you go off too quick!!

Edinburgh in May

Great North Run 2012

Birmingham Half 2012

• Hey mcs - that sounds great.  We're not sure what we're doing post April next year as we're being moved again (Lincolnshire this time).  All I've got planned in so far are the local xc races which end in Feb and then it's all subject to today really.  I'm definitely up for something in the autumn though once we know the dates for Australia - cheap trip option so have to take it while we can!

Is there anything in September other than the GNR you'd recommend - that's got a bit big for my liking.  Last time I was there - getting to the start was all a bit of a drama! image

• Good luck everyone - think they're about to announce the winner!
  • Gutted not me!!! Never mind will get back to working now!!!
  • Nor me - time to get back on with my life then!

• Where are the results, alternatively does anyone know if George (time for a nap) got in?
  • Don't know yet - should be anytime now!  Keep an eye on the homepage! image
  • Just to tie up the loose ends, not me either. Enjoy the run home Mark. Enjoy the shoes Hayley. I'm off for a consoling run myself.
  • Think the other chap was an IT consultant so had plenty of email votes!!!image

Seriously if you get up to the peak district message me for a run!! If I am free see you on the Monsal Trail.............

• Hey guys - unlucky eh!  Nevermind!  Will do!  Will be keeping an eye on the threads and hope to see you about! image
  • Sleepy Bear wrote (see)

Hi all

Well time's ticking along and since I have no reference point for actually winning something as momentous as this my thoughts have turned to how to cheer myself up if the news is otherwise... image

I've just ordered myself the most adorable pair of violet suede shoes which will be my reward for putting myself forward in the first place.  As I said in Birmingham - the Boot Camp felt like a prize anyway so I'm over the moon and hope to be a gracious loser in the overall comp.

Like a few of us also said - it'd be fab to meet up with our respective ability groups and others at the consolation half marathons where we can. (Again - another prize - happy days!)  Even if we only start together, I think it would be lovely to see the process through together.

For those of you who were subjected to what can only be described as attempted cyber-humiliation - please don't take it personally - I found none of you  annoying, irritating or otherwise and I will be following the winners with much interest as I now have my eye on the Kielder Marathon later in the year. Yes - I'm gonna bite the bullet (subject to a non-clash with a possible trip to Australia)and take the risk that I might end up not running again afterwards. Still, hopefully I'll learn enough to minimise that risk.  How those of you who do multiple marathons do it is beyond me.  Just amazing!

Anyway - my fingers and toes are crossed - Happy Christmas to one and all imageimageimage

Loving the purchase of shoes as a treat for yourself! I got a pair of snowboots for getting through Birmingham. I found the whole driving up there, facing a load of people I had never met, being assessed on a freezing track and then driving miles home really daunting and I was proud for managing just that!

Your purple shoes sound much more fun than my boots!

Thank you for your lovely positive comment about cyberspace!image

• Snowboots - way more practical!image

I know what you mean - being 'on show' all day was a bit weird!  Still - we did it and we don't have to do it again!

Well - I'm bored of waiting for the announcement now - well done everyone that got through and to all of us that took part  - I feel like I can relax again now!

Will look forward to finding out who the winners are sometime soon...

• mmmm practical yes - stylish noooooooooooooooooooooooo! They looked so different in the picture - on they look like those special old lady boots!image

It was the unknown that was so stressful - would have liked to have integrated more with others but totally understand. I was the slowest of the slow group!image

Definately would like to meet up with folks at a half marathon - for me it will only be at start as I am so slow. But I've found that being slow has its advantages - quite a few of my club mates wait for me at the end of races to cheer me on. So I end up with more support that the fast runners!image

• i didn't get in either but no surprise there!! think it was a bit of a fix to who got though as could have picked them out myself on day one! no worries anyway i already have my place for the paris marathon! and now i can sort out my own training and i'm sure i'll get my target on my own! so no free trainners i can deal with that but i wont be buying Asics thats for sure!!!

good luck to those that got though, have a great marathon might even see some of you during race? sorry for those who didn't get in - hope you stay motivated to meet your targets!

for me the evening is starting with a nice bottle of red yum yum F**K running tonight

• I don't do the GNR either Sleepy Bear, in Sept I tend to do the Great Scottish Run (13.1 - Glasgow), Robin Hood (26.2 but there is 13.1 option - Nottingham), also Berlin and/or Loch Ness is just in September in 2012 I think too! Let me know if you're heading for any of those.. image

• Who got in....... cant see the results anywhere?
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Think I'm going to do Reading in April as prep for Milton Keynes.

Been interesting process, the bootcamp was quality and I was lucky to have a great group. The forums were 'interesting' to say the least. Have got involved with some good threats which actually seem to be about running... Imagine that.

Thanks Emma for your point about one particular comment, which was not intended to be or toned as rude.

I'm going to treat myself to some Brookes pure I think...
  • " Have got involved with some good threats which actually seem to be about running... Imagine that."

obviously on the wrong forum then image

Stick around folks because we have a Forum run training group as well (M.eldy has put up a post somewhere). It did well last year and a lot of the support threads are still running, give it a go if you are planning to stick around and even if you dont get chosen again the advice and camaraderie is top notch
  • mcs wrote (see)

I am doing a few races next year and it would be great to meet up and run and chat..........been an interesting day........................ here are some of my races subject to life and injury.........let me know what you are up to. A mate of mine did Kielder and found it tough, he did 4.50 but has just recovered from Bowel Cancer but said it was a real up and down challenge.

Grindleford Gallop 22 mile fell race in March in the Peak District really scenic run though tough if you go off too quick!!

Edinburgh in May

Great North Run 2012

Birmingham Half 2012

I'm defnitely doing the Great North and the Brum Half next year image

The bootcamp was great even if I didn't bring a suitable running jacket for the track but Emma and I certainly rocked the unsuitable coat look on that last track session!

• Indeedie - you in short sleeved Tshirt only and me in a knee length padded winter coat. We must've looked like a couple of weirdos!image
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Woops, threads. Bloody dyslexia, why is that so hard to spell image

I'm gonna hang about. Entered the programme as an act of procrastination while completing a job application.
  • I didn't want to mention the threats BoDuke image

I would have given anything for that massively warm looking coat...