ASICS 26.2 Consolation Thinking

Comments

• Ha ha - The coat warmed up rather quickly then I felt like a right plonker!

BoDuke - which comment was that? I tried to message you to ask but you don't accept messages.

SO tired - run down and can't wait for christmas holidays!

• Nice run home for me two jacket spuds,cheese beans cup of tea to come with gluten free cake yum who needs to go London on Saturday anyway!!
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Sorted.

I had to take my arms off and then wished I'd left it off. That 5k nearly floored me! Never pushed at that distance before.

I'm so down my local track and out with the club more now.

So who's through?
  • Yo peeps

Glad to see you're all still about - I'm in the midst of cooking but thought I'd sneak a peek.

BoD - do you mean the Reading half?  Is that the 25th March?  If so there is an ASICS half that day too at Fleet, Hampshire - if we get the freebie we were promised - that'll be my first choice.  Otherwise I think after the cross countries, I'll be aiming for the Water of Life Half/10k whichever I can get in - apparently the half fills very quickly.

Rosie - Robin Hood might be an option - I'll keep that one in mind for sure.

Right there with you with the big warm coat EC -  I got laughed at too for mine - but hey I was the one laughing when the point and laughers were cold - ha ha.

Christmas holidays start right here - paaaaaaarttttttayyyyy - we deserve it! image

• I love my snuggly coat! Such a mum coat though - so many of them in our local park at the weekend!

Anyone doing Watford?

• When is Watford?

Mum's clearly know best, I got told off for not being appropriately dressed when I told my mum I'd forgotten my coat. If i still lived at home it would never of happened!

• Watford's the 5th ish of Feb - easy journey from you place surely?

Yup Mummy's do know best.

Going to see Jonny in his christmas show tomorrow  - then two more upper sixt lessons and the term is OVER! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

• Will have a google - have already got a 10k planned on the 5th Feb so if it doesn't clash I may venture down to join you in that one.

• I missed out too.. well done the winners... we can start working out who they are by a process of elimination now!
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Sleepy: yea the Reading half it's April 1st, which is 4 weeks before the full one. Should be about right for prep. But I want my freebe too!

If we can get some kind of agreement, I'm up for meeting at any of them. Never done a 10k before...

I think Daddies know best personally...
  • Or should that be people without children know best?? image
  • Hey all,

It is a 'no' for me too (and so Simon we are down to three in our group!) - still appreciate your vote though image

I loved Bootcamp and would definitely be up for meeting up again - would be great to get to meet some of the other groups too as we didn't get that much time to mix. Will be watching the threads of the winners with interest.

I am now planning to do Edinburgh Marathon and will def be running Bham Half in Oct. My running group are trying to persuade me to do Berlin but reserving judgment on that one at the moment.

I can only echo Sleepy Bear's sentiments. I thought you were all such a great supportive group of people and it has been a pleasure to interact with you (less so with some of the more militant anti-Asics forumites!)

Take care all and hope to see a lot of you again either on the forums or at a half - are we still supposed to get a free place?!

x

• Rosie is in it was her twelve maras in twelve months that got her in I reckon, she can't not finish which was an issue last year. All the best to her.
  • Well done Rosie!

Would definitely be fun to all catch up at some point. I'm doing Liverpool marathon next year - anyone else applied?

No reason we can't keep THIS thread going as the Crazy 40 instead of Asics 5! image
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Well done Rosie.

Both getting into the five and all those marathons!

I agree, let's keep this one going.
  • All over the idea of this thread being active. We can tick off our achievements as they happen image

Fab job Rosie. Totally deserving image

• Evening Folks,

HUGE congrats Rosie image

I got a "no" so reverting to the Plan B (which was the original Plan A) of a aiming at a new PB in the London  marathon.

If anyone ventures to this side of the River Tweed and fancies a wee hill / trail run ...give me a shout image

Hope to see you all again at some point !

Cheers

Graham K

• Well done Rosie!

Im signed up for the four villages half marathon and going to do the wilmslow half in May. Would be good to have a good race off with your pace group. image.
  • Yeee ha - brilliant idea to keep this thread going - if only I could now rename it - the Crazy 40 thread is just a much better name. 

Reading is 1st April is it - hmmm now - if I can't have a place at Fleet and I don't get in the Water of Life cos it's full - that would fit in beautifully!

Hope they do the announcement today - it must be hell trying to contain all that excitement when you know you've won but can't say anything!

Will be checking in regularly - hope you all have a good day.  My heels are still taped up and trying desperately to get them to mend for the cross country on Sunday - might try a liiiiitle run later just to see if I can put trainers back on yet (oopsie)image

• Just stumbled onto this thread and I must say how refreshing it is to read down it and find its all full of support, encouragement, help and advice - such a change from the disappointing negative comments from some of the regular forumites on the other threads who seemed more concerned with slating RW and Asics and having a go at anyone who showed enthusiasm and I found their cynercism quite sickening.  Well, that's my soap box bit done!!

I was in group 2 at boot camp but didn't make it to the 19 - the day was great though and it still holds happy memories for me - I think the biggest thing I enyoyed was the camerarderie amongst ALL the attendees even though we were in competition with each other.

I'm definitely up for keeping this thread going and like the rename of Crazy 40 - is someone going to change it? (Beyond my IT skills!!)

I live in Reading and will be doing the half on 1st April - great to see as many of you as possible there.  May also do Watford which I think is an Asics run (??)  Have entered MK Marathon but have just heard about the inaugural Marathon of the North (6th May) which is organised by Steve Cram (Keilder fame) and starts and finishes at the Sunderland footy stadium which is my home area so may enter that and not do MK.

Well done to Rosie (shower after Paris though cos you'll be minging by the time you back to Scotland if not!!) - very well deserved.  Bad luck to Simon and LadeyJadey who both did great campaigns.

Look forward to keeping this thing going - let's hope more of the 40 get involved.

PS  As you can guess from the length of this post, I'm retired!!!!!   

• oscarr wrote (see)

Just stumbled onto this thread and I must say how refreshing it is to read down it and find its all full of support, encouragement, help and advice - such a change from the disappointing negative comments from some of the regular forumites on the other threads who seemed more concerned with slating RW and Asics and having a go at anyone who showed enthusiasm and I found their cynercism quite sickening.  Well, that's my soap box bit done!!

Seriously? Look around the forum and see how much support there is for so many different people. In my opinion some of the criticism to the comp is warranted, some of it isn't. There were people also supporting where some of you lot were coming from as well. Naturally it's up to you on what you want to focus on but if that's just the negative comments from random people you've never met before, well that's your choice. 

What I will say is that the harshest comment on any of those threads is nothing compared to what some people who had been through the competition faced completely undeservedly so if you think the comments you've read so far are sickening, it's probably a good thing you didn't win in case you were in later put in the same situation as them. 

• Thanks mcs, Sleepy Bear, RunnyRunRun, BoDuke, oscarr, LJ, Luke and Graham K image. Sorry I couldn't acknowledge your messages earlier.. As Sleepybear said, it was hard not responding..

I wasn't expecting to get through at all, but now really looking forward to support/banter/generally being challenged as to why, with such sought after free trainers image, I'm not putting them to good enough use. Sorry you couldn't all get through, no idea how they decided..

Oscarr - good to see you on here - your pacing skills in Birmingham are something I can still only aspire to!, but I've been trying to practice..

Sleepybear - I love the consolation shoes plan! In fact I loved it so much I copied it, but now have a dilemma - does getting through mean I can't get the shoes I have saved in my online shopping basket? This could be mildly upsetting. The 12 marathons were fantastic but already I can't wear any of my peep-toe shoes *TMI alert* as not really any toenails left (I only discovered the joy of sizing up your trainers for marathons 6 marathons into the year, and by then it was too late..)   

• Little Ninja - thanks.  Trust me, I have had to deal with far worse comments directed at me by groups of people face to face during my working life and have learned to let it go over my head.  I agree that some forum comments were supportive but found it unnecessary for the negative ones bearing in mind the shortlisted folk were simply trying to do their best in the competition. 

Let's draw a line under this and move on with the good parts of the forum.  Cheers.

• A girl can always have shoes.....image

If I'd done 12 marathons in 12 months I'd have been buying myself a pair after each one LOL!

Oscarr - sorry I didn't get to meet you in Birmingham - but glad you found us.  Since you're a local - can you have a think of a landmark near the start of Reading that would be a good place to meet up for any of us that get chance to do it.  We can have a count up nearer the time of who's likely to be there....

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the name of  a thread - I have no idea how???

Anyone racing this weekend?  I'm heading to Reading (Bearwood College) for the local xc. Apparently it's somewhere between 5 and 6 miles with only 1 hill per lap of a 2 lap course.  I'll be the one running in slippers at this rate!

• oscarr wrote (see)

Little Ninja - thanks.  Trust me, I have had to deal with far worse comments directed at me by groups of people face to face during my working life and have learned to let it go over my head.  I agree that some forum comments were supportive but found it unnecessary for the negative ones bearing in mind the shortlisted folk were simply trying to do their best in the competition. 

Let's draw a line under this and move on with the good parts of the forum.  Cheers.

I didn't think these would be the worst comments you've ever heard. Some people come here expecting nothing but brackets and love and it's not like that.  I'll agree some of the comments weren't necessary but others were and I also agree to move on  image 

• maybe the bootcamp lot should have been made to read the threads from last year all the way through.......i would suggest that the winners do........they can learn from last years candidates  the best ways to go forward and the best things to avoid.......there was a lot of aggro on some of the threads whilst others were very positive the whole way through............

Good luck to the 5 who got through.....remember this is an open forum so people will express what they think......I hope for you individually it will be a great experience and you get the times you want/ deserve

• Sleepy Bear - I am also doing the Bearwood XC race this sunday - I try and do all the TVXC League events and the one on Sunday is organised by the running club I joined last year, Reading Roadrunners (RRR).  It's a 5.8 mile course, 2 laps with a few hills but some longish flat sections - the tea and sarnies after are good!!  Lets meet up - I will be wearing my green club vest and orange shoes (sorry!!) and be milling around with the other RRR folk.  Which club will you be with?

Reading Half meet point - at this stage suggest my running club tea tent (Reading Roadrunners) where we leave our gear - can firm things up nearer the time though depending on how many enter.

Cheers, Oscarr - first name Richard.

• I would love to meet at Reading (I already have a place as I was building-up to this for my target) I just hope I'm allowed to do it my Steve.

More shoes are always good , I have 8 pairs of trainers ont he go at the moment.

RN, how to I find these threads?

Have fun everyone

• if you look up the heading spring marathons......then look back for the asics super six......it will depend how long ago they last posted.