Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Lee

Introducing the fourth member of our ASICS Target 26.2 team - Lee (aka Choisty)

With Virgin London Marathon Championship qualification as his goal, Lee will be mentored by Steve Smythe on this thread (starting December 26).

He’ll be posting his training progress and be receiving physio and nutrition advice from the ASICS PRO Team live on this thread so make sure you bookmark this thread to find out how he gets on.

You can read more about Lee's running background and goals by clicking on the article link at the top of the thread.

Good luck Lee!

Comments

• Well done on getting chosen Choisty and you've got the best person possible to guide you on your way to gaining that Championship Qualification time.
    Bon chance mon ami!
  • Lee,

Congrats !

Was great meeting you in Birmingham and hope the coaching converts your obvious talent for running into a seriously quick time at Paris.

All the best ...

Graham K

• No string vests now ya hear! image

Brilliant news - will look forward to following your progress!  Good luck imageimageimage

• Cheers guys..I have to say I though everyone deserved to get through as Brum was brilliant and that was because of the people, I didn't go to sleep 'til about 1am that night.  I would be keen to meet up again at one of the halves coming up as part of the prize.

I was told to keep quiet but I have been bursting to get on here as I am very very ...very excited!

So here goes for the target of 2:45 championship qualifying time in Paris (stretch target 2:39)

SB - I do have a string running vest!

• Aye ... 02:39 should be the target 

• Well done Lee, could tell you had talent from the Bootcamp. Good luck
  • Congratulations!, and inspiring target.. Looking forward to catching up with you and the others on Saturday. image

• Lee - keep smiling as I know you will - good to be lapped several times by you at boot camp, even though we were in different groups!!  Enjoy, enjoy and good luck.
  • Well done Lee - see you on Saturday!image
  • Glad to see it's you that got through Lee. All the best with it. Will be following your progress keenly
  • Ah Choisty, well done.  I thought you'd win.  I'm sure it was the dopey smile that did it. image
  • Thank you all it means a lot, and I look forward to seeing people in London, where I'm a bit worried about the health check as since I had the snip I don't liek check my health too closely image.

SNHN, it's not just the smile that's dopey!!! as I hope to prove

• Stolen from KR's thread but details have been changed to mine!

A bit of a background picture:

Resident: North Hampshire (Kingsclere nr. Basingstoke)
    Children: 1 Girl (7) 1 Boy (4)
    Pets: 4 Fish
    Driving Licence: Clean
    Music: Anything but Plastic Pop or Jazz
    Food: Roast Dinner
    Film: Toy Story
    Marathons: 2:54:37 (2006) Qty = 5 + 2 in training last marathon was 2007
    20miles: 2:01:13 (2011)
    Half: 1:16:06 (2010)
    10 miles: 56:53  (2011)
    10k: 34:33 (2011)
    5 miles: 27:45 (2011)
    5k: 16:50 (2010)
    3000m S/C: 10:36.4 (2011)
    2000m S/C: 6:50.5 (2011)

Total races = 188

• Well done Choisty (how did you get that nickname?) and I am glad to see you get roped into steeplechase at Southern League matches but maybe you didn't have to be roped in: your time shows you are somewhat decent at the event.

I am not planning to get anywhere near your time  but I am interested in seeing how you deal with the mental side of it. Even at 2:45, let alone 2:39 (which IMHO is a bridge to far), you are looking to knock 10 minutes or so off you PB. Your half and 10 mile times say it is possible but it is a big leap and not the usual 2 or 3 minutes a year safely safely others do.

• Congratulations Lee! Look forward to seeing you on saturday image

2:39 is an amazing goal - I hope you get there! x

• Fiddy, 

I never need my arm twisting for a spot of chasing, it's where the name Choisty comes form, as Choisty was 50-1 outsider for the national I picked in a sweepstake, it won the virtual national in the indy, then fell at the first in the actually event.

The way I work for goals are main goal, stretch goal and perfect goal...mine this time around is main goal 2:45, stretch goal sub 2:40, perfect goal 2:38.  What that means is I will train for 2:38 and my pace will be based on that so that if on the day things don't quite go to plan I have a little bit in the reserve tank.

Also as I haven't run a marathon for a long time and since then I have taken 7mins off my 10mile time I think there is scope to improve by the required amount.

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭

As a clubmate of Lee I'm really pleased that he has been chosen for this.

We are a tiny club and don't have the coaching staff for Lee's level of performance even though the club is extremely successful.

Hopefully we will all be able to learn from Lee's experience.

However, I could add a few different things to his list of "achievements" .

Hope all goes well.

Piers

• Piers wrote (see)

However, I could add a few different things to his list of "achievements" .

Dish the filth Piers image
  • Choisty, what sort of mileage do you do a week currently,ie do you keep a diary? Also how do you structure your year, your training and your racing?
    Your 2-01 for 20 looks promising for your targets next spring so did you train specifically for it or was it something you just went and did?
    I take it you self coach and am trying to get a feel for how you train - is it structured or as you feel or somewhere in the middle?

As someone who aspires to your short distance times I'm simply interested as to how you've got them: by accident or design?
  • And the marathons in training you allude to, what are they about?
    Sorry for all the questions!
  • PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Well for those hoping to see him in London on Saturday; I woudn't wait, he'll probably end up in South Wales.

His sense of direction is atrocious; he was once running along the North Devon coast and he somehow managed to run the wrong direction! image

Piers

• Piers, if you mention the test way there will be no beer tonight!

Matchstick Man wrote (see)
    Choisty, what sort of mileage do you do a week currently,ie do you keep a diary? Also how do you structure your year, your training and your racing? Your 2-01 for 20 looks promising for your targets next spring so did you train specifically for it or was it something you just went and did? I take it you self coach and am trying to get a feel for how you train - is it structured or as you feel or somewhere in the middle? As someone who aspires to your short distance times I'm simply interested as to how you've got them: by accident or design?

No worries about the questions. 

• I normally run 40-50mpw but at the moment I'm trying to get a base for the marathon (I was planning on success) so am running about 70mpw.
    • I structure my week normally as Mon - tempo run; Tue - Reps; Wed - Longer run; Thu - Club reps; Fri - Run for fun; Sat - Long Run; Sun - Rest.  I have doubled up on Mon and Thu recently
    • My 2:01 for 20miles should of been 1:58, I really didn't take it seriously I did it to complete all 12 Hampshire road race league event and win a prize.  I went through 10 in 58:30 and was on the same pace through 16, however I then ran out of energy, I hadn't tapered or taken gels, I just drank water on the day!
    • My years is pretty much the same throughout, although in the summer I do run on the track so train shorter (ish), but I don't race in June.
    • I used to have a training plan, but now I just short of play it by ear...I can't wait to have a plan and a fully though out goal again that is very exciting for me.  My last one was sub 1hr for 10.
    • So I have got here mainly by design but more recently by simply running
    • I ran two full marathons in training as my long runs, this helped loads (I ran one in 3:05) as I new I was in shape to break 3hrs so on the start line it wasn't a hope but a belief.

The thing I think helps most with training, racing and running is to smile and enjoy itimage

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭
    • Don't worry Norfolk Reps tonight and I'm your coach of choice this evening as Franny's away.

Won't hurt you too much image

Piers

• TimeaJTimeaJ ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Lee! I voted for you so I am glad you are one of the lucky winners! Keep on smiling image
  • I voted for you to and glad to see you got through as feel this thread is going to make very interesting reading.
  • Congratulations Lee! I always enjoy reading the training of the speedier runners. Your usual mileage is relatively low, so assuming you don't break down with the bigger miles I can see plenty of room for improvement. I expect to see you on the Champs start at VLM 2013.
  • I had a feeling when I met you first thing at Bootcamp that you'd make a great member of the final 5. A great goal to aim for! Well done Lee on making the team and all the very best for Paris. I'll be following the forums and tracking your progress. 

Congratulations and don't forget to take enough change for the car park!

Abi 

• Well done mate, well deserved.
  • Thank you all for your votes and congratulations, I hope to make this interesting reading, one thing is for sure I am likely to go off on a tangent from tiem to time. 

CC2 I have worked up to 90+mpw when marathon training before without injury problems so am hopeful I can again.

Abi, I've decieded to take the train at the weekend so I don't have to faff about in central london in the car

• As piers said we did "Norfolk" reps at the club last night, now this session stems from our training week last year when we joined a session of North Norfolk Beach Runners and in true runners style each rep turned into a wee bit of a race.  However the session was a complete mix of differing length and pace of rep and you never new what was coming next, so often it was flat out only to find the rep suddenly extended by 200m.

Last nights session was a series 4 x 2min 30s on a hill, then on to a new area for 3 x 1.2km cruise reps, then 5 x 100m hill sprints with the last being a race between the two groups with the slower paced group having a head start, which they used exceptionally well to win by a street.