Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Rosie

Introducing the third member of our ASICS Target 26.2 team - Rosie (aka RosieA)

Rosie will be mentored by Sam Murphy on this thread (starting December 26).

She’ll be posting her training progress and be receiving physio and nutrition advice from the ASICS PRO Team live on this thread so make sure you bookmark this thread to find out how she gets on.

You can read more about Rosie's running background and goals by clicking on the article link at the top of the thread.

Good luck Rosie!

Comments

• Good luck Rosie......all the best and congratulations..........not jealous in the slightest....image Look forward to seeing your progress and listening to the advice from the pros.

Note to self run 12 marathons in 2012.........

• LOL - I've said it all to you elsewhere but I'll say it again - CONGRATULATIONS! Am very pleased you got through and will be keeping an eye on your thread for pictures of Dug and general tips so that I can try to keep up with you at a future race.  Enjoy  imageimageimage
  • Rosie,

As I said before ...a place both earned and deserved !

If you need a bit of company on a long run, gee me a shout and I will venture east image

Cheers

Graham K

• Congrats to you Rosie. Well-deserved! I liked your thread and the way you showed the person behind the screen, especially with your story about escaping for a run when you were in hospital.
  • Congratulations Rosie will keep a tab on how you're getting on.  

I found the 'On a Plateau' shortlist to be the hardest to vote on, I never checked the forum posts but used the information on the shortlist pages and had to leave this category to the end before selecting.

I hope those that were not selected keep their heads up and keep running image 

• Hey Paul

That's nice to hear - thank you!  I'm sure we're all feeling a bit flat today but it's just like one of those bad runs - have to put it behind you and move on!  I spent quite a bit of time talking to Rosie in Birmingham and think she's just lovely - I don't think anyone who voted for her will be disappointed! GO Rosie, GO Rosie 

• Hello! image

Thanks mcs, Sleepy Bear, Graham and Little Ninja. Was a big surprise to get through. Still haven't quite got my head around it, but as of this morning Dug has his dogsitter booked for Paris weekend so there is no going back now!

LN, I neglected to add to that story (I like to do my public embarassment in stages it seems!) that I met a stumbling block that day on getting home - I couldn't get the hospital gown off (I'd just thrown a coat and jeans over it so brisk was my escape) as I was very short for time before the race and my arms and shoulders had these big burns dressings on. I didn't want to cut it as I had to go back and pretend I'd been fetching pyjamas, or something, so, in what seemed an obvious move at the time I stuck baggy running gear over the top. Fortunately it was minus 4 at the start so the michelin man look was very in, but I think the race photos for that day are still floating round somewhere, and on some of the ones I've seen you can see bits of gown escaping from my ensemble.. I can also confirm that hospital gowns generally do not make good running attire and have various disadvantages when they are put to active use. I'm yet to see a gear review on here for them though. When someone posts one I'll definitely add my thoughts..

Anyway, as I now have to go to London this weekend, here is Dug of the day. A feature I'm afraid may become regular here. This is him last time I went to London on the train - needless to say it was him that got us upgraded to First class - has never happened to me before:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/345231/Gallery/train_nov_11.jpg

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/345231/Gallery/sitting_next_to_me_on_train.jpg

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/345231/Gallery/train_Doug.jpg

More puppies welcome!!

• Thanks Paul, hope your dog is still enjoying her runs. re previous thread, I've just booked in to do the GSR in Glasgow next year too. Will your dog be coming to support? Dug should be there and I'm sure he'd like to say hi.
  • Great news Rosie on getting through, will this be your only marathon this year? image
  • knight rider: ha! image yeah, I suspect my race-habit may be a problem for my go faster plans.. I really do need the race-entry equivalent of those mail-goggles you can put on your email for when you are drunk, except mine would need to stop me from entering more races for a period of 48hours after any racing activity. I get over the finish line and before I know it I'm at my computer entering more. Is there an online support group for that kind of thing do you think? Oh, wait a minute.. image

• Congratulations, Rosie! I'm so glad you got through as I was very touched by your personal story and I'm really looking forward to following your progress (and to more photos of Dug ... he is completely adorable! Don't come anywhere near Mayfair today, otherwise you might find he gets dognapped image )

• So, for anyone intending to follow the running aspect of this, I should probably detail my crimes against proper training. Here is a typical week for me:

Monday: 10-15K run, 30min crosstrain, 60min other sport.Tuesday: 10-15K run, 30min crosstrainWednesday: 10-15K run, 30min crosstrainThursday: 10K run, x 2Friday: 10-15K run, 30min cross trainSaturday: 10-15K run

Sunday: 20K run

It doesn't vary week to week really either! image 

Can anyone identify with struggling to include variety? I suspect this is a lot to do with why my times have plateaued. Anyone else managed to break out of a rut like this?

• Hmm, well that was badly formatted, for anyone who couldn't be bothered to read it, here it is again in a slightly less eye-hurty way:

Monday: 10-15K run, 30min crosstrain, 60min other sport.

Tuesday: 10-15K run, 30min crosstrain.

Wednesday: 10-15K run, 30min crosstrain.

Thursday: 10K run, x 2.

Friday: 10-15K run, 30min cross train.

Saturday: 10-15K run.

Sunday: 20K run.

• Thanks xine267, and for the heads-up on the dognapping tendencies. I have a problem with an involuntary puppy-stealing reflex too. Manage to keep it in check just about, but it's hard sometimes!! image
  • So pleased you got through Rosie. I am hopeful that we will see lots more pics of Dug on your forum. He is AMAZING!!

Enjoy the whole thing. I am sure you are going to make the absolute most of this opportunity. Totally worthy winner image

x

• Thanks LJ. There will definitely be more Dug!
  • Rosie - many congrats - I've said it all in other threads and your dedication is really admirable and I wish you all the best in your journey to Paris.
  • Little Ninja wrote (see)
    Congrats to you Rosie. Well-deserved! I liked your thread and the way you showed the person behind the screen, especially with your story about escaping for a run when you were in hospital.

Wot she said. image

Well done.  Congrats.

• Congrats Rosie - I'll be following this thread image

I have a massive complaint though.... What's with all the kms? I only do miles..... image

I was happy with my 7 marathons this year until I heard about your 12 image
  • Rosie,

That would have been a site in the 1st class carriage, big 'luv me' puppy eyes of Dug and he looks so natural sitting there.

I am tempted to do the GSR this year and it'll be my 1st half marathon since the 90's but I plan to hang my football boots up and concentrate on my running again, once injury free.  Also looking at doing the Polariod 10k series, Rouken Glen 10k and the Mens Health 10k again this year as it was fun fitting in 6 10k's in a month not as impressive as your 12 marathons in 12 months or your typical training week.  I'd have thought that maybe you're doing a wee bit too much as your body always needs a rest for the muscles to repair.

Do you use any recovery drinks, after a hard session?

Sleepy Bear, I hope your flat feeling soon dissipates and your back to smiling again, just like in your photo image

I've not managed to get out for a run with 'Bree' recently as other things have taken over and unable to fit it in but hopefully will sort things out in the next couple of days as don't want her being a wee podgy dog image

• Thanks SNHN and oscarr.

Mssive complaint noted Spoons. I shall endeavour to include imperial units in all future communications image.

For now, lunchtime run.. it's bizarrely sunny here just now and don't want to miss it..

• Congratulations Rosie and will see you saturday where I will try and get some marathon tips
  • Well done rosie, I will be with choisty asking for the tips! image
  • Choisty and jelly, I hope you're not hoping for tips from me imageimage! See you Saturday..
  • 12 in 12, damn right I'm asking for tipsimage
  • In case anyone wants to know, a bit of background, plagarised then adapted from KR's thread:

Lives: Edinburgh

Pets: Dug the dog

Occupation: Depends what day it is, but variously: Vet, PhD student, PA to Dug the dog

Running history: Started 2007 as part of recovery from serious illness, first marathon 2008, 2009, brief interlude due to burn injuries, 2011 ran 12 marathons to raise money for Samaritans.

Times:

5K: 22mins (2010) [n=3] (though did 21min something in Birmingham at bootcamp, if that counts!)

10K: 44mins (2010) [n=4]

13.1miles: 1:37 (2010) [n=20+]

26.2miles 3:34.41 (2010) [n=18]

Have run 3:34 or 3:35 a number of times. The current goal is sub 3:30. Realistic?

• I'd be an excellent running partner as your 5 & 10k times are what I'm on at the moment, not sure about the longer distances though image
  • Paul Gunn 64 wrote (see)

Rosie,

That would have been a site in the 1st class carriage, big 'luv me' puppy eyes of Dug and he looks so natural sitting there.

I am tempted to do the GSR this year and it'll be my 1st half marathon since the 90's but I plan to hang my football boots up and concentrate on my running again, once injury free.  Also looking at doing the Polariod 10k series, Rouken Glen 10k and the Mens Health 10k again this year as it was fun fitting in 6 10k's in a month not as impressive as your 12 marathons in 12 months or your typical training week.  I'd have thought that maybe you're doing a wee bit too much as your body always needs a rest for the muscles to repair. Do you use any recovery drinks, after a hard session? Sleepy Bear, I hope your flat feeling soon dissipates and your back to smiling again, just like in your photo imageI've not managed to get out for a run with 'Bree' recently as other things have taken over and unable to fit it in but hopefully will sort things out in the next couple of days as don't want her being a wee podgy dog image

You're probably right about doing too much. Rest days are a weakness of mine. I'm lucky in that I can run fine the day after a marathon (not trying hard enough in the race??) and as I often run for convenience reasons - to work or when out with the dog, it can be hard to find days when I'm less active. I've probably had less than 10 non-running days over the last two years image. Even on those days I often swim or hillwalk. I haven't been injured at all in that time, and don't ever feel burnt out, but do think I'm not doing things efficiently when it comes to training, and am aware there are smarter ways to do things. What do people think?

Re: recovery drinks. Here you may have identified another of my problems with race prep. My nutrition is rubbish! I find it hard to make time to eat and so get a lot of my energy requirements from sports drinks or similar drunk while at my desk/on my way to somewhere. I know improving this might help my running but although I know the theory somehow haven't known where to start..

Dug says Hi to Bree. Do you have a picture?

• There's a dog thread on here. I'll bump it for you so you can show off Dug a bit more image