Your Christmas Day

2»

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Wake up whenever we wake up

(ahem, not telling you about the next bit!)

Breakfast on smoked salmon and scrambed eggs*

Open presents image

Get dressed and go to my Mum's for lunch (my sister and I are cooking it).

Sit around like beached whales.

Have tea which Mum insists on making even though no-one wants more food.

Sit around like beached whales.

Go home.

Breath a sigh of relief that it's done for another year!

• Bah! Wilkie! wrote (see)

Wake up whenever we wake up

(ahem, not telling you about the next bit!)

Oh, I have my yearly bath on New Years day, Start the year clean, You go for Xmas Day interesting

• Wake up feeling rejuvinated

Promise local boy cash if he buys the turkey hanging in the butcher's window ( the one that's as big as him) and takes it in a cab to Camden Town.

Spend the day with nephew Fred and his wife then off to bed early - have to tell Bob Cratchit about his pay rise in the morning....

• Wake up after a good lie in - my stay at home kids are 20 and 18 so no early start!! We'll have pain au chocolate (Sarah Lee out of a tin...yum!!) for brekkie. Our married daughter, her hubby and our grandsugar will arrive over to ours around 10ish and we'll open pressies.

Around 11ish we'll head to MrGFB's mum's house (she's in sheltered accomodation but still cooks her own dinner for her and MrGFB's bro) - more pressie opening.

Around 1ish we'll go to my parents house for (guess what...) more pressie opening!! And then dinner - my parents cook turkey, ham and all the trimmins'...(this is tradition - I'm probably a better cook than them but it's one of the few meals I get handed to me during the year!!)

After a couple of hours we'll all head back to our house where we'll watch the Christmas film...plus this year I've bought a Wii for the family so it should be good craic!

Intersperse this with tons of booze and we're going to have a fab day!
  • Most of these Christmas days are too lazy...

wake up 8am (ok, this is later than most). S

traight down parents house with wife to open presents.

Visit both Nan's (more presents) - all live within a 5 minute walk btw.

Me, my dad and my uncle go for our traditional Christmas day drink up the local club from 11.30am-1pm.

Dinner in Nan's at 1.30pm.

Open presents with wife up our house.

Prepare buffet food for evening.

Family start arriving from 6ish for Christmas evening party (up to about 17 of us).

Bed at about midnight. 

• GFB - loving 'grandsugar'. It made me have an ahhhhhhh moment.
  • Probably as shite as most of the others. Ahh I tell a lie it can't be as shite as the one I had beans on toast for dinner.
  • There will only be three of us this year, the wife, my mother and me. The wife won't surface much before 10 whereas I am usually awake by 7:30, so I may try and sneak out for a cheeky 16 miles. Or I just discovered a parkrun operating not too far away on Christmas Day. Given where I am in the marathon schedule I really should do the long one, but the parkrun is tempting. We'll probably open presents late morning, then we're off to a local gastro-pub for Christmas lunch. The afternoon will be spent lounging. digesting and drinking tea, and I guess the evening will probably be much the same. If we can we'll try to Skype my sister, but it looks likely she'll be in Beijing so no idea if we'll be able to do it or not.
  • I'm so jealous Fish. I'm not too sure as Christmas Day will be a bit different this year. Might wander down for breakfast and have a glass of fizz with it. Later I might have have a swim in the Caribbean Sea
  • up early

run

mother in law for dinner

then turkey

get pissed and watch daft telly stuffimage

• That must be the most misplaced smily ever
  • Make sure you leave room for the turkey after eating the mother in law Stu.
  • lol - don't mind getting pissed and watching daft telly as been almost saintly this yearimage
  • Timeout wrote (see)
    Make sure you leave room for the turkey after eating the mother in law Stu.
    lol I will.. That woman will be heavily smoked tooimage 
  • No idea what this year will be like, first year with MiniKJ so we're now bound by grandparents wanting to see her and be involved.

This year we're off to MrKJ's parents and we're going out for a curry, this is all very different so I'm trying to just go with the flow and see what happens!  Secretly, I'd rather we stayed at home and had a traditional lunch.......
  • lazy lazy lazy and no visitors - just us

up at 8 ish - oldest will have been up since 4, he cannot cope knowing the presents are there, other two would sleep till 1 but he wakes them up

lazy breakfast - always plan smoked salmon scrambled eggs, always have toast and chocolate image

get dressed just in time to make it for 12 o'clock mass

start dinner, open champagne, spend most of the afternoon slobbing about and sorting dinner

dinner

Dr who
  • forgot about the sandwiches later - my husband considers the xmas dinner as something that has to be gone through so as to get to the turkey sandwiches image
  • Oh Sunluvver - what a wonderful time of year you're going to give your little one.  I have a 5 year old boy and an 8 year old girl.  We shall.........

* be awake any time from 0545 (have been this month with son waking to open calendar)

* open Santa pressies on our bed (with a cuppa & maybe fizz)

*go downstairs to open rest of pressies (& note who sent them)

* wish several times I could go for a run

* have breakfast (& fizz)

* wish agaiin I could go for a run (have another fizz)

*play with toys & games

* have yummy PORK CRACKLING ROAST (am glad I ddin't go for a run HIC!)

Let dinner go down before walking 1 mile to sisters for more pressies & food

Return home sometime around 2100 with two very tired children

We are absolutely SKINT but we're going to have a great day, as are our children.  We were supposed to have Xmas afternoon at ours but told family we were too skint to feed everyone, hence we're going to my sister's - guilt free!!!

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    If I wake up early enough I shall go for a santa hatted run through the villages to see who I bump into. image

If I don't, we - me, Mr Jj and Jjunior (21) - will get up about 7.30 and have tea/coffee, possibly toast or muesli but accept that soon There Will Be Chocolate.

Pressies, stress from me about the mess, more tea, more chocolate, stress from me about losing tiny things, the consideration of something fizzy - but it will probably be pointed out to me that I will be asleep by 11am if I drink in the morning. ¦oD

Then ablutions and getreadinesses, and off we go to my mum's. She ALWAYS does Christmas - the best cook in the world, for a start, and never happier than when she has her babies around her. image "Babies" being me and my big sister, our other halves, and our "babies", all in their twenties. That's 11 of us (and perhaps a stray boyfriend or girlfriend of one of the baby babies), and we all stay at least until Boxing Day and usually another night too. Vast quantities of food and alcohol and laughter and snoozing and telly.

And ... for the past two years we've not done pressies.
    We all decided that - as both my sister's and my families have both had pretty harsh times financially - that there was no point in adding the stress of excess spending. We're all terribly close and simply enjoy each others' company. We realised last year that we hadn't even thought about the big pressie exchange at all until one of us pointed it out at about 3pm. Truly and sincerely didn't miss it.

Then off to ma-in-law's the day after Boxing Day for a couple of days to meet and greet various sisters in law and their hubbies/partners, plus their offspring and another new layer of babies. Fabby doo.

Merry and bright. image
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    oh goodness me, what a ramble! Sorry! image
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Oh noes. I broked it! image
  • Wake and get the wife a tea

Make pancakes

Church

Home and put fire on, proper coffee and present opening

Cook the pheasant

Eat as and when done

No watching of the Queen, sound of music or Bambi

Decide if i am hungry enough to eat more.

No Dr Who or Stickly I'm a celebratty can't dance x factor

Drink a bit and head to bed

Boxing day entertaining friends but will be joining local running crowd for a swim in the sea and a run.

• STU - wrote (see)

mother in law for dinner

Canibal.... We're having turkey

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    KatieJane wrote (see)
    No idea what this year will be like, first year with MiniKJ so we're now bound by grandparents wanting to see her and be involved.

You don't HAVE to do as other people want, you know?

It is still your Christmas too.

• We don't do Christmas in the conventional way. We have a lie-in so get up around 7, normal brekkie and loads of Nespresso coffee (decaff for me). Phone calls to various rellies follow. Whatever the weather we'll be off around 10 for a very leisurely 9 mile walk with the birding stuff , back around 4. We take a packed lunch with us, flask, hip flask, sarnies, couple of slices of christmas cake and have that at the half way stage which is at the beach huts. Then pootle back. Hopefully will bag about 50 species. The first half is usually a bit pants cos there are too many people about on new bikes, skateboards and usually with the odd dog or two all wearing new hats/gloves/scarves or all three. The walk home is better, it's deserted and near the end bit we pass houses with steamed up windows, the sound of washing up being done or arguments being had and the smell of sprouts.

We've done it for the last 10 years. It's smashing and gives me and the OH a long day together without any interuptions - a real rarity these days

We crash out with our feet up for a few hours after we get back and then I'll think about making dinner. Dunno what yet but it won't be anything too rich but I may go mad and have a few glasses of something (I rarely drink but do enjoy bubbles). Boxing day is the club swim (in the sea) and run (5 miles) and then lunch in the pub.

• running and just resting all day
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Midnight - in charge of warehouse reassuring anxious volunteers running centres for homeless people that their turkeys will be delivered. From then until 7am answering questions from same volunteers about the plumbing and IT problems they're suffering, along with the broken freezer, the missing padlock and other mysteries. Cycle home about 12 miles into headwind. Pasta, champagne, chocolate for dinner. To bed very soon. Back to warehouse for 9.30pm and repeat...........
  • As usual same shit different year image

What did I get? I bought myself a dvd and some new saws up to now. And I haven't had a drink either image

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

So far:

Up early and in the kitchen.

Presents.

Back to the kitchen to prod and poke things.

Watch a dvd of my brother as an ugly sister in panto (we couldn't get to the show). His legs are better than mine image

Realise I haven't had breakfast - eat chocolate.

Back to the kitchen - realise I'm cooking too much and/or the oven is too small.

Sit in front of laptop to rest my feet and type this.

Later, there will be dinner, Doctor Who and various Christmas tv rubbish image

• Up early cos the neighbours who complain about the noise the house makes were making an absolute racket. Wash and dress, doorbell goes about a quarter to 7 and one of the residents returns home. Off at 8am. Breakfast then back to work with the bottom feeders. Finish work, have dinner, glass of champers then bed.