Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Rosie

Comments

• Freemers in a winter wonderland wrote (see)

Rosie - well done for getting picked....i voted for you because you clearly have the potential to get through the 3.30 barrier *    ....and now I see your weekly training I am even more sure.  If you can run a 3.34 with no real variety in your training I am sure that once Sam gets you on a proper programme you'll have no problem. 

I'm another one like minni with times similar to yours previously, but got big PBs over 10 miles and HM in the last year and broke 3.30 in London - and for me the improvement was all about adding variety into my training and making every session count, cutting out the junk miles!

I'm looking forward to seeing how you get onimage

*  although the main reason I voted was Dug of course...another dog fan here, although sadly don't have one right now.

Thanks. Well done on breaking 3:30 (and your other PBs)!! Was that London last year? Are you in for 2012 too?

I like the idea of junk miles - makes sense to me. Describes my running quite well I think?!

• Congratulations Rosie for getting selected. Based on what you've posted so far I think you're a very good candidate for breaking your plateau with a bit of structure and focus.

I'm not tempted to run a full 26.2 in training, for me I think the recovery would be too great.. But I'd be interested Sam's views on a time on your feet run. For me 3.30 hours of running a bit slower than usual long-run pace is a good way to break the gap between 20 not feeling enough and 26.2 being too far. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Wow Rosie, its really interesting reading your strengths and weaknesses and being stuck in the marathon time zone.  You sound just like me this time last year.   I knew I could do it but needed the extra push to get me on the right road.  

I also hate short distance and would much rather run a 20m training run than race a 5k!  But, in an effort to get my marathon time quicker I'm making myself run more short distances.  Its not easy though!   

I remember the Meadows half starting about 20 minutes late this year!

I'm in the camp of not running 26.2 miles in training.  Perhaps if you're not aiming for a goal time its fine but I think if you have your target race then everything should go into that.  I'm also not a fan of racing a 20m during training because I've seen a few people get cracking times but then flop on the actual marathon.  Of course I'm not saying I'm right - just a personal view.  I know Spoons loves his slow marathons as part of training but since he's going for a pb in the Spring too he might have to give this more thought. image

• Minni - Think the Musselburgh 10k is organised by Musselburgh running club. Think it's about £15 or so - maybe a couple of hundred or so with a fairly "clubby" feel and nice low key atmosphere.

The Edin park run is along the Granton promenade so nice and flat. Starts at the Cramond end then goes East and loops round to double back on yourself. Only issue (again) is wind. Usual big spread of quick people and folk out for a gentle trot with eveerything in between

Rosie - takes me at least a month to recover from a raced mara. The thought of walking any sort of distance - let alone running - for at least a week would be impossible ! In a good way then (please don't take this as a criticism !) sounds like you def have reserves to race harder and a better time is very achievable. That's got to be a good thing eh !

• Rosie A wrote (see)
    Simon Pryde wrote (see)

Rosie, well done! It'll be a fantastic experience... look forward to following your progress.

Will be in Edinburgh for Great Winter Run in January... you running that?

Yes to the Great Winter Run!! The start is 5 mins run from where I live so it feels rude not to. Have you done it before? Would be great to see you there.  

Coming up with my girlfriend, going to stay over in Edinburgh on the Saturday night.... looking forward to it... not done it before....  be good to meet up if you've time (see if you can nick me some ASICS stuff  for a consolation prize!!)

• Hi Rosie,

I'm another one who'll be following your thread to see how you get on trying to break the plateau... I feel as if I'm currently on one!  My last marathon PB was over a year ago, I had a good start to the year but a back injury (non-running related) has really set me behind.  It's so frustrating when you're not making any progress! 

I personally wouldn't do 26.2 in training, not again! I've done marathons with four and six weeks between them, and tried to race them all.  It doesn't work.  The second one is always going to be slower and is always going to hurt.  I've not ran the first one slow before though....  I do think if you are really good at setting a much slower pace and sticking to it, it could work well... everyone is different though.  You did 12 in 12 this year right?  You must be good at recovering from marathons.  But see what your coach thinks, don't lose sight of the end goal just for the sake of doing another race.

• Hi Rosie....it was VLM 2011 when I broke the 3.30 (did 3.24.42 - suicidal pacing to half way (went through in 1.39) but thankfully didn't completely die! Unfortunately I've had knee problems ever since so not sure if I'm going to make it to the start line in 2012 yet. 2013 definately and hopefully an autumn marathon before that - I've entered the Newcastle Town Moor in October.

I wouldn't do 26 in training - just too much time on your feet!
  • Minni - wow, does sound similar. I just hope to achieve my target like you did!! Great advice about the longer runs - thanks. Am going to try to cut out the longer aimless stuff with the training plan, interested to see what effect it has. I know what you mean about preferring to run 20miles than 5K. I often set out for what I think will be a 5K, and come home 10-20miles later. It's not just a poor sense of direction either... image. Yeah, meadows was much more like 20mins late looking back at my garmin record. I'm always ridiculously cheerful at the start of races so tend to interpret such things somewhat over-generously! Looking forward to maybe seeing you there this time round..
  • Wobbly - thanksimage. I like your idea of an intermediate between 20miles and 26.2. I'm experimenting a bit with shorter distances in training (well, I will be!) but suspect I may find keeping to 20miles tough, psychologically as much as anything. Are you in for a marathon this spring too?
  • Fraser - thanks for the encouragement! Do you do many of the parkruns in Edinburgh? Talking to Sam today parkruns came up and am even more tempted to try to make time for some now. Is it just Granton or are there others nearby too?
  • Rosie - I'm looking to do Manchester mara in the spring, it's a week after VLM or 2 weeks after Paris. I'll be aiming for sub 3:30 again but with a 3:59 Pb, I might go for sub 3:40. I did Chester mara in October but crashed 'n' burned in 4:12.
    I've been following a another sub 3:30 thread all this year which has helped me set Pb's in other distances, and they have been great support. Minni, Spoons, Carot, and Freemers are a great inspiration and will always be there if you need some extra support. Oh yea I forgot to mention they're also bloody mad!
  • Simon - great! Will certainly have time to meet up for a chat. PM me nearer the time and can sort something. I know many good suppliers of hot beverages in the vicinty of the start/finish so if you need any recommendations just shout.. The last two years the race distance has been reduced to around 4K as it's been run on fairly deep snow and the high road round the park has been too impacted with ice to clear, but so far it's not looking too bad. I shall be doing three times daily course inspections (aka being walked by puppy) from now until then so if you need any updates..

• Simon Santa Claus wrote (see)

Rosie - I'm looking to do Manchester mara in the spring, it's a week after VLM or 2 weeks after Paris. I'll be aiming for sub 3:30 again but with a 3:59 Pb, I might go for sub 3:40. I did Chester mara in October but crashed 'n' burned in 4:12. I've been following a another sub 3:30 thread all this year which has helped me set Pb's in other distances, and they have been great support. Minni, Spoons, Carot, and Freemers are a great inspiration and will always be there if you need some extra support. Oh yea I forgot to mention they're also bloody mad!

Simon - you've met me, being mad will only help them relate, no? image 

Good luck for Manchester then! Which other thread was it? I have reading to do.. image

• Don't forget the Carrot for Rudolf wrote (see)

Hi Rosie,

I'm another one who'll be following your thread to see how you get on trying to break the plateau... I feel as if I'm currently on one!  My last marathon PB was over a year ago, I had a good start to the year but a back injury (non-running related) has really set me behind.  It's so frustrating when you're not making any progress! 

I personally wouldn't do 26.2 in training, not again! I've done marathons with four and six weeks between them, and tried to race them all.  It doesn't work.  The second one is always going to be slower and is always going to hurt.  I've not ran the first one slow before though....  I do think if you are really good at setting a much slower pace and sticking to it, it could work well... everyone is different though.  You did 12 in 12 this year right?  You must be good at recovering from marathons.  But see what your coach thinks, don't lose sight of the end goal just for the sake of doing another race.

Hello! Sorry to hear about the injury. Though I've been super lucky injury wise recently I remember what it's like to have to take time out and can empathise with the frustration. Are you back to training now?

Thanks for the 26.2 in training advice, it's really useful to hear different perspectives all coming to a similar conclusion at the moment. I think you're right in that before I have lost sight of time-goals by being distracted by the lure of a long run immediately before. One to work on..

• Freemers - 1:39, wow, that's quite a first half! Well done for keeping it together to get 3:24 after that! Sorry about the knee though.. Hope that's feeling better soon. Sounds wise to hold off on a decision about VLM 2012 for now. I can remember some of how frustrating it is to be limited by injury in that way. Have you done Newcastle Town Moor before? Someone was trying to talk me into it at a race recently and it's not too far from home so was wondering about whether to think about it as a possibility for future (Autumn 2012 already looking a bit crazy race wise here, but 2013 is free!)

• Rosie - The other thread you can find at : Forums - spring marathons - forum six sub 3:30 , started by minni/Dubai Dave. Full of tales of maras, IM's and ultras, and some speedy parkrunners.
  • Simon Santa Claus wrote (see)
    Rosie - The other thread you can find at : Forums - spring marathons - forum six sub 3:30 , started by minni/Dubai Dave. Full of tales of maras, IM's and ultras, and some speedy parkrunners.
    Sounds perfect, thanks image
  • Rosie - I haven't done Town Moor...I was talked into it by minni on the other thread image
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Ah yes!  I am the main promoter of the Town Moor marathon. image  Not many have thanked me afterwards though.... image 
  • Ah yes - the Town Moor marathon again image
  • Bliddy hell ! this is where everybody is hanging out nowadays. image

Hi Rosie,
    Firstly congratulations on getting through the selection and vote, and as others have said we look forward to following your journey onto Paris in April.
    A very impressive running history, especially the last year. I have no doubt what so ever about you smashing through the sub 3:30 barrier in style if you follow what the team tell you to do, so just sit back and do the running bit, let them stress over getting you there.
    The forum is a great place to be for support, information, understanding etc and you will get so much out of it if you put plenty into it.
    I joined Minni`s thread last year and also went through the 3:30 barrier knocking 15 mins off my time and some of us are seriously looking at 3:15 this year, so it can be done, you just have to get the correct guidance and do as your told, no more, no less.

Have a great journey and perhaps I will bump into you in Paris in April.image

• Hi Rosie, yes I'm doing VLM and targeting 3.35ish, so I'll be following this thread.
  • any feedback on the weekend........clothes given.advice given and what shoes they have recommended as well as why and what shoes you have run in the past in.image
  • Aha - I have found you all image Can't believe Minni is still plugging the Town Moor image
  • AA - Minni gets commission image
  • Spoons-we all need to be there to see her win it!!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

lol!  I think perhaps we should keep the TM talk for the other thread! 

Rosie have you come back down to earth after what sounded like a fab day on Saturday? 

• Hi Rosie, good to meet you on Saturday in that there London town, hope your journey back was okay, do they only sell tennants super on those trains? It was a pretty full on day by all accounts - it still hasn't sunk in yet, which i know sounds weird! Very surreal having photos in the middle of Regent Street.
  • Hi Rosie - how's it going then? What's the plan? Has training started yet? Have you been given a schedule?